The Official Dolby Surround Upmixing Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 310Likes

post #811 of 1044 Old 07-25-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Beyond that, the center speaker output does not exhibit the cross-cancellation coloration we've all become accustomed to from phantom center images.

Not sure I've heard it; what does the coloration sound like?

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1044 Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Not sure I've heard it; what does the coloration sound like?
It sounds like a dip around 2 kHz (approx 5 dB). There is an excellent discussion of this topic in Dr. Toole's book, Sound Reproduction. See chapters 9/10 of the 2008 edition.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #813 of 1044 Old 07-25-2018, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Interesting, thanks.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 1044 Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
I'm interested in going from a 7.1 setup to 7.1.2. The thing is, my surrounds are placed according to the old recommendation that they be fairly high up on the wall, whereas Dolby now recommends that they be at the same level, or pretty close to the same level, as the front speakers. I can see how that makes sense for a system with elevation speakers. Still, I'm not going to relocate my current surrounds. Has anyone added elevation speakers to a system like mine, and if so, what were the results with Dolby Surround?

Thanks!
I went from a 7.1 system with the rear surrounds over five feet high on stands, and upgraded to 7.1.2 with height speakers(svs elevation modules) at the top front up against the ceiling. It works great, and i dont miss not switching
rear surrounds for rear heights. Atmos seems to treat them as such when appropriate or dolby surround. I also read from a respected reviewer(cant remember name) that he had a similar setup and with elevated rear surrounds the difference from 7.1.2 to 7.1.4 wasnt very much and kinda disappointing. He said he got good height effects from his elevated rear surrounds. Other people have also said that if the rear surrounds are close to rear heights, the efffect is diminished as there's no seperation. In my humble opioion i think while four height channels is always better, its more critical if you're using elevation speakers that bounce the sound off of the ceiling as opposed to direct radiating speakers.

Last edited by dareelest1; 08-18-2018 at 10:26 PM.
post #815 of 1044 Old 07-28-2018, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I watch all of my legacy films using Dolby Surround (5.1.2), but last night my experience with Heat (the definitive version) definitely stood out that it's audio performance has become one of new favorites. The last 20 minutes particularly stood out. Enjoy!
post #816 of 1044 Old 08-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoet View Post
After playing around with it this weekend, I have it sounding almost as good as my D2v did with PLIIx Music. I tried turning "center spread" on and off, but didn't really like it either way.

I ended up creating a second "Speaker Profile" with the center channel disabled, and used that for my squeezebox input. I still wish I had the adjustments available with PLIIx Music, but it is pretty close in this configuration.
I upgraded from 5.x.4 to 7.x.4 and the improvement is dramatic!

I don't know if the fault lies with Anthem, Dolby or some configuration issue, but I don't think DSU was doing the right thing with my 5.x.4 setup. The only "rear" speakers I had, were the back height speakers, and the entire sound stage was very forward. Using test tones from a Dolby Atmos demo disc, when a side-surround channel was selected, I would get noise out of both the side channel as well as the corresponding front. It was like it thought the side-surround speaker was actually on the back wall, and was trying to ghost-image it into its "proper" location.

Now that I have a 7.x.4 setup, the music envelopes me even more than it did with PLIIx.
dareelest1 likes this.
post #817 of 1044 Old 08-08-2018, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 514
So while this is primarily for movies, I thought I'd share that DSU with the game Detroit: Become Human is fan-freaking-tastic!

Usually DSU don't do so well with games due to the nature of a game rendering audio on the fly on the millisecond corresponding to what the player is doing. But because Detroit is kind of an on-rails, select your option kind of game, the audio portion is largely scripted in a way that it doesn't change much regardless of what the player is doing.

There are a lot of rainy scenes in the game, a lot of in door scenes that resonates with vertical audio cues, a lot of ambient effects going around. DSU really puts my height speakers to great use and really expanding the soundstage. Definitely made the game even more immersive than it already is.
DaverJ and am2model3 like this.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #818 of 1044 Old 08-15-2018, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 206
awesome! DSU and NeuralX do amazing things with 5ch and 7ch sources!!

I am rewatching CloneWars blu rays with 5ch DTSHD; they look and sound incredible! The last episode i saw in Season5; the explosions overhead; the flying ships overhead; and this one robot climbing around the main characters (off camera) sounded fantastic as he moved overhead from the back to the front; stuff like this is just so much fun to hear!
dareelest1 likes this.
post #819 of 1044 Old 08-18-2018, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I don't know if the fault lies with Anthem, Dolby or some configuration issue, but I don't think DSU was doing the right thing with my 5.x.4 setup. The only "rear" speakers I had, were the back height speakers, and the entire sound stage was very forward. Using test tones from a Dolby Atmos demo disc, when a side-surround channel was selected, I would get noise out of both the side channel as well as the corresponding front. It was like it thought the side-surround speaker was actually on the back wall, and was trying to ghost-image it into its "proper" location.

Now that I have a 7.x.4 setup, the music envelopes me even more than it did with PLIIx.
youre probably right. when you dont have rear surrounds, your side surrounds are supposed to be rear surrounds pretty much. they no longer go at the sides with onlly 5 lower level channels. Thats why i chose 7.1.2 over 5.1.4 configuration, because i dont want to give up rear surrounds

onkyo tx nr-787 9.2 channel receiver in 7.2.2 configuration, front L and R and L and R surrounds,onkyo skf 4800 floorstanders; center, jbl studio 235 C; rear surrounds, klipsch rbs51 II's; height, svs prime elevation modules; subs, two klipsch sw-112's;display, vizio m6557 4k uhd quantum display ps4, x box one, ps3, LG up 870 ultra hd blu ray player.;apple tv 4K; google chromecast;senheiser RS 170 wireless cans
post #820 of 1044 Old 08-19-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:

Like the poster above me said in 5.x.4 the side surrounds are your rear surrounds. Make sure you check where you have your 4 surrounds connected and make sue you don't still have the side surrounds plugged into the back surrounds on the back of the Anthem. Then run the test tone in the setup menu under "Level Calibration" and make sure the tones come from the correct speakers.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #821 of 1044 Old 08-24-2018, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I went from 7.x to 5.x.4, with the old rear speakers now being used for the rear height channels. I had forgotten about 5.x describing rear instead of side speakers. Since I had those speakers plugged into the "surround" instead of the "rear" output of my Anthem, I expected it to treat them as side speakers.

That does explain why adding ear-level rear speakers for a 7.x.4 configuration "fixed" the issue.

Thanks for reminding me about how 5.x works.
post #822 of 1044 Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I posted this in the Auro 3d thread and they suggest DSU might be a better fit for my needs so I'm posting this here, editing a little for the DSU thread

So can anyone here with experience with both DSP's give their impressions of Logic7 VS DSU? I've been a Logic7 users for almost 20 years and am still holding onto an old MC-12 due to my dependence on Logic7 for 2 channel upmixing to 7 channels. To me the real time Frequency steering of Logic7 is wonderful and really gives a natural mix.

How does DSU comapre? I've never heard it before and eventually I may have to leave Logic7 behind and DSU seems like the most likely DSP I will use to replace Logic7

How does DSU compare to Logic7 for 2 channel music?
post #823 of 1044 Old 09-27-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
So can anyone here with experience with both DSP's give their impressions of Logic7 VS DSU? I've been a Logic7 users for almost 20 years and am still holding onto an old MC-12 due to my dependence on Logic7 for 2 channel upmixing to 7 channels. To me the real time Frequency steering of Logic7 is wonderful and really gives a natural mix.
How does DSU comapre? I've never heard it before and eventually I may have to leave Logic7 behind and DSU seems like the most likely DSP I will use to replace Logic7
In a similar situation, I chose "both":

I replaced an elderly Yamaha RX-V667 (5.1.2) with a Denon AVR-X4200W (5+wides.2.4). But I like some Yamaha DSP modes for 2 channel upmixing, so (recalling several posts by Roger Dressler) I decided to retain both AVRs for use as alternatives (but NOT simultaneously!) The two AVRs share|switch the same L|C|R|SL|SR|Sub1 speakers|amps; both AVRs power separate dedicated (front) height speaker pairs using their own internal amps. Because I use powered L|C|R speakers, only one additional 2 channel amp is needed (to power SL|SR). I just use some old mechanical switches to select between two sets of 6 (5.1) RCA cables (one set from each source AVR).

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Last edited by SoundChex; 09-27-2018 at 02:16 PM.
post #824 of 1044 Old 09-27-2018, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have really enjoyed my experience with Dolby Atmos up-mixing. It is a significant improvement over Dolby Pro-Logic II for creating an enveloping musical experience from ordinary two-channel stereo sources. In my Dolby Atmos optimized setup it significantly outperforms DTS Neural:X up-mixing.

Unfortunately, about a month ago the Dolby Atmos up-mixing failed. That is, every time I switched in DAU, when playing a digital source, I was met with gross distortion. Playback of Dolby encoded sources played fine. Analog inputs played fine too. I finally got around to calling Denon today and found that this is a known issue that showed up, in some units, with the last software update. I was informed that Denon is working on the fix and an update may be ready before the end of October. In the meantime, I restored the receiver, did not allow updates and Dolby Atmos up-mixing is now back to working like it should.
am2model3 likes this.
post #825 of 1044 Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by W_Harding View Post
In the meantime, I restored the receiver, did not allow updates and Dolby Atmos up-mixing is now back to working like it should.
Hope this isn't too off-topic but on your Denon you're able to uninstall updates?

That is a massive feature for me. If that's true, my next AVR will surely be a Denon.

I personally think it should be illegal for a company to be able to "update" in a permanent manner a device you own to a state different to that which you bought it at. You can't roll back updates on my Pioneer - hasn't been a problem so far but every update is a roll of the dice.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
post #826 of 1044 Old 09-28-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Hope this isn't too off-topic but on your Denon you're able to uninstall updates?
I am not a technical expert. I do not know that it literally uninstalls the updates. My best guess is that, following the directions of the assistance representative, I was able to return the unit to the original software state, as it was as it left the factory. After the re-initialization, the receiver behaved just as when I turned it on for the first time. This meant that none of the setting were saved. I had to run through the whole setup routine again. I made sure that the automatic updates, feature, was turned off.
post #827 of 1044 Old 09-28-2018, 10:17 AM

Back to the topic at hand. I have really enjoyed the Disco Biscuits performances on youtube.com. The Dolby Surround up-mix really opens up the sound and envelopes the listener. the engineer who did the recording did a pretty nice job. The music, along with the light show, is a psychedelic experience. This segment runs about 25 minutes and builds up nicely. Check out After Midnight } Spacebird - The Disco Biscuits - 04/20/2018 - The Fillmore, Philadelphia, PA.
post #828 of 1044 Old 09-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

another thing; if you like mixing/matching DSU or Neural X with various/opposite dolby/dts signals; turn off your updates. Dolby is trying to push a mandatory update to not allow you to apply Neural X, VirtualX, or auro 3d to dolby signals! only DSU for Dolby signals; taking away freedom from the consumer not good!
post #829 of 1044 Old 09-28-2018, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 7319 Post(s)
Liked: 6374
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
...only DSU for Dolby signals...
AND proprietary upmixers, like AnthemLogic, Yamaha Cinema DSP modes, Lexicon's Logic7, etc.
am2model3 likes this.

Sanjay
post #830 of 1044 Old 09-28-2018, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
I posted this in the Auro 3d thread and they suggest DSU might be a better fit for my needs so I'm posting this here, editing a little for the DSU thread

How does DSU compare to Logic7 for 2 channel music?
If you are very familiar L7, you will find DSU a significant change. As to how you like it, there's no way to know -- it is such a personal matter. If you can, AuroMax should be on your short list of 2-ch upmixers to audition. IMHO it is the best of the myriad "AVR hosted" options once L7/PLIIx are off the table.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #831 of 1044 Old 09-28-2018, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizorith View Post
How does Dolby Access on windows 10 fit into this? Someone mentioned this a few pages back but I wasn't really clear on it. For instance, I have a PC with dolby access setup (home theater, not headphones) and when I play a native atmos movie in plex, it plays atmos as expected. When I turn off dolby access, it also play atmos on plex.

So what exactly is access doing? Is it similar to a dolby surround upmix, but for atmos? How would I set my denon x1300 receiver in order to use it?
It does not upmix. I think it's more of a game thing where it enables games with Atmos to be played back in Atmos (on AVR). See https://www.dolby.com/us/en/apps/access/pc-xbox.html
post #832 of 1044 Old 09-28-2018, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W_Harding View Post
I am not a technical expert. I do not know that it literally uninstalls the updates. My best guess is that, following the directions of the assistance representative, I was able to return the unit to the original software state, as it was as it left the factory. After the re-initialization, the receiver behaved just as when I turned it on for the first time. This meant that none of the setting were saved. I had to run through the whole setup routine again. I made sure that the automatic updates, feature, was turned off.
Hmmm...based on what u say, sounded like u just did a reset of the microprocessor to clear off the memory only. Did u check what is the ver?

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
post #833 of 1044 Old 09-28-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
another thing; if you like mixing/matching DSU or Neural X with various/opposite dolby/dts signals; turn off your updates. Dolby is trying to push a mandatory update to not allow you to apply Neural X, VirtualX, or auro 3d to dolby signals! only DSU for Dolby signals; taking away freedom from the consumer not good!
While we can understand the robbing of the freedom to allow user to choose whichever audio upmixing, I think DSU upmixing is actually not bad, if not better than DTS Neural X imo.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
post #834 of 1044 Old 09-29-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Hmmm...based on what u say, sounded like u just did a reset of the microprocessor to clear off the memory only. Did u check what is the ver?
My receiver is a Denon AVR-X6300H firmware ver. 9330-1885-1380-2483 with DTS ver. 3.90.34.00.

In the user manual this is the procedure for Retting Factory Setting:

Resetting factory settings

Perform this procedure if the display is abnormal or ifoperations cannot be performed.

Various settings are reset to the factory default values.Make settings again.

1 Turn off the power using the front panel power button.
2 Press the front panel power button while simultaneously pressingINFO and BACK.
3 Remove your fingers from the two buttons when “Initialized”appears on the display.

This is the procedure the Denon representative had me use to correct the receiver problem:
1 Turn off the power using front panel powerbutton.
2 While simultaneously pressing SETUP and DIMMER and press front panel power button.
3 Remove your fingers from the two buttonswhen “Initialized” appears on the display.
It takes about 20 minutes to reload firmware. After reset the Dolby ATMOS up-mix feature isnow working correctly.

Last edited by W_Harding; 09-29-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: format
post #835 of 1044 Old 09-29-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
While we can understand the robbing of the freedom to allow user to choose whichever audio upmixing, I think DSU upmixing is actually not bad, if not better than DTS Neural X imo.
My impression is, in my system, Dolby Surround up-mix produces much better results than DTS Neural X.

Of course, when it comes to synthesizing multi-channel audio from an ordinary two-channel stereo source, two big variables are the specific setup (room and speakers) and the source material. Some source will work a lot better with one type of synthesizer (e.g. Dolby Pro-logic II, Dolby Surround (ATMOS), dts neo:6, Logic-7, Circle Surround, SQ, QS, Stereo-4, etc.) while another source will work better with a different synthesizer. And, some sources just sound better when played back in two-channel stereo.
post #836 of 1044 Old 10-01-2018, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quick reply.. well not really

I just bought a couple of cool little monsters Integra made. Model is DSX-3
Slim unit, all digital power supply and amplifers. Even has a small subwoofer amp..

Anyway... I did a couple of firmware updates and it deleted the Dolby PL II, added Dolby Surround and Atmos and a couple of other modes. So I was like wth! I just lost a critical mode.. DPLII was the reason for most of my setup! Anyway... I been listening to all sorts of material, movies, music and literally just skipped right on passed the Dolby Surround mode because, well lets be honest, the name is like ... 35 40 years old? Da hell they thinking? I kept asking, why the hell did Integra just downgrade my unit with a 30+ year old surround mode?

So I got to researching and literally typed in "Dolby Surround upmix" cause the manual states this mode as such and the first page on google that pops up is a explanation of this new mode with a old name. Still, are they just completely dumb for naming it something that is that old and not great at all? They could have named it something like Dolby Surround*2 or similar.

Anyway. Before I read about this Dolby Surround I got updated on the DSX-3 I literally emailed Integra to ask if I could install the old firmware to get the DPLII back. I didnt really bother trying to use the mode cause of the name! Now, I can see that DSU aka Dolby Surround Upmix, is supposedly the next level up from DPLII. I have a big feeling of relief now LOL... I thought I was going to be super mad for a long time, all due to this misunderstanding of the old name

So what do I think of the DSU mode? Its subtle at times. It steers sound very fast. When I say strer I mean it has stereo rears! Very good crisp sound, Not muddy and sloppy. DPLII was rather bland or muddy at times but it was what we had and it worked ok. But now it does seem that DSU is a upgrade. Im still testing it out and getting a good idea of its capabilities, so far its working good. However... In my little apartment, I find a mode on this unit that is much much better called Dolby Surround Surround Enhancer. Yes Surround is named twice cause basically the unit enhances the mode to an extrame but is so good that in my opinion out does the regular DSU.. However, Its a 3 channel mode. It plays the left, right and center as well as the sub but throws the sound around and above you like you have surround speakers everywhere and does it so good that to me, it sounds even better that the regular DSU. In a larger room it might not work so well not sure. But in my apartment, I tell WOW~ Ive had gadgets like the Sonic Hologram Generator do something like this but not as good as what this DSX-3 does. Music and movies both just come out and you can point at the things flying across the room! Im still trying to figure out how the hell they made this mode sound so good. TO be honest that is why I bought 2 of these cause in one room I have 5.1 and the other I have 2.1 and wow does this unit impress!

Anyway... Still testing the regular Dolby Surround mode in comparison to other modes and its pretty good. I also like DTS Neural X which seems to be very similar. Will take a while to know which one is better but to be honest, all these modes are fantastic. I remember back in the day when surround modes were all mostly useless and I just used maybe 2. DPLII and Logic 7. DTS was the best but for turning 2 channel into surround, Logic 7 and DPLII was pretty much the only 2 we had. Now, it seems technology has kicked in 5th gear and giving us a new thrill.....

Thanks for this thread.. Very informative and glad that I now know what DSU really is...
W_Harding likes this.
post #837 of 1044 Old 10-01-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHeaven View Post
Anyway... Still testing the regular Dolby Surround mode in comparison to other modes and its pretty good. I also like DTS Neural X which seems to be very similar. Will take a while to know which one is better but to be honest, all these modes are fantastic. I remember back in the day when surround modes were all mostly useless and I just used maybe 2. DPLII and Logic 7. DTS was the best but for turning 2 channel into surround, Logic 7 and DPLII was pretty much the only 2 we had. Now, it seems technology has kicked in 5th gear and giving us a new thrill.....

I think it is really content dependent as to what mode sounds best. I generally prefer Dolby Surround, but sometimes DTS provides the "effect" (for lack of a better term) for certain movies anyway. Just gotta experiment!
W_Harding likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #838 of 1044 Old 10-01-2018, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I got the Cream live at Royal Albert Hall 2005 blu ray. It has a dolby 5.1 track and a DTS HD Master 5.1 track. I was playing the DTS HD Master today. To me, it sounded far, far better in direct mode or DTS HD Master mode vs. Neural X. I thought Neural X sounded boomy and echo-y.

Makes me wonder if I'm better off leaving it in direct decode all the time.
post #839 of 1044 Old 10-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHeaven View Post
Quick reply.. well not really ...

Thanks for this thread.. Very informative and glad that I now know what DSU really is...
That is a really good write-up. I certainly agree with you on the Dolby Surround name. I too thought I lost Dolby Pro-Logic II, however; I am glad to find that the new Dolby Surround seems to work much better and it uses all of the 7.1.4 channels. Thanks for your comments.
post #840 of 1044 Old 10-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah Dolby picking DSU Dolby Surround as the new name for their upmixer wasn't the greatest move. Something like "Atmos Upmix" or "DolbyAtmosMagic" or "AtmosEnhanced" or "AtmosProLogic3"
Everytime i see it lit up on my receiver, i usually say to myself, "dolby atmos upmixed" I ignore the DolbySurround . haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page