Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Upgradus Interruptus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
LH Labs Keep Mono Amplifier

I attended RMAF last weekend and had a chance to listen to the soon to be Crowd Funded LH Labs Keep Mono-block amps. LH Labs, a division of Light Harmonic (www.lhlabs.com www.lightharmonic.com) are the makers of the super high end DaVinci Dac and the Geek Out portable Dac/Amp. The Geek Out was their first Crowd funded device and it was a huge hit. I love my Geek Out 1000 (1 Watt of class A in a thumb drive sized USB device). They currently have the Geek Pulse about to ship from their second crowd funding.

The Keep is a Class AB (Deep Biased Class A) Mono block amp. It currently will output 120 watts into 8 ohms. (This may change based on crowd funding feedback). It is an ultra wide bandwidth device. -3dB at 2.5 Hz, 0.5dB at 80kHz.

I had an opportunity to go into a private review session with the Keep Mono prototypes at RMAF last weekend. They were feeding them from a Geek Pulse X DAC with files from a LAN/Wireless network. They played three separate tracks each with a different style and timbre emphasis. I liked what I heard!

Acoustic guitar had a nice attack and fingering on the strings. Decay was very accurate. Another track had cymbals that rang true with appropriate spacial positioning of performers. There was a reasonable sense of 3D front to back.

They hid the guts in a pair of large Pass Labs styled cases. After the demo Gavin Fish and Larry Ho opened one case to reveal components that would fit in a shoe box. One large toroidal power supply and a circuit containing only 30 parts! Nice!

The Keep Mono's will be going live as a new Indiegogo crowd funded device likely prior to Christmas 2014.

I can't wait!

"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike" HT: 9.2.6 - Denon AVR-X8500H, PS Audio BHK 300 Mono's BHK Pre-amp in Home Theater Bypass, Oppo BDP-205D, Vandersteen Quatro CT's and VCC-2 CT with M&K ss-150's SL & SR, SVS Prime Elevation front L/R, Side 2 pair ahead and behind seating, SVS SB16 Ultra, Epson 5040UB, Stewart StudioTek 130 92". Living Room: LG OLED55C7P & Oppo UDP-203.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-16-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Fellow GeekOut 1000 owner here and soon to be owner of a Geekstream. I would love to see and hear their amps. Were they balanced connections? Any indication of 4Ohm load numbers?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I wonder if the keep is going to be monoblock power amps only, I know they were considering an integrated amp

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page