Anyone check out the new Sony ES receivers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-16-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone check out the new Sony ES receivers?

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-ele...-installation/

They look pretty solid (especially after the lower end 1050 got such glowing reviews for a mid end...or, well, a mid-end Sony, I used to remember people really poopooing that brand on the quality front).

Particularly the 2000 middle model seems worthy of stacking up against one of the new Pioneer Elite SC models and/or the Denon x4100 or somesuch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-16-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
No Atmos, no buy. Damn, Sony has really lost it. Used to be an innovator. Atmos has been available in AVRs since spring (Oknyo). Sony just releasing theirs now and no Atmos?

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 6 Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
About the only receiver brand I would ever consider buying after several years now of running separates would be Anthem. And they need to bring Atmos to the table as well, although certainly not for me.

As for Sony, the only Sony audio standard I would ever and have ever bought is ES. They perform at the Elevated Standard in their nomenclature and in my experience last for many years. In fact my last ES purchase was a 2004 build W2000ES CD Player/recorder bought some years ago on ebay and the darn thing still sounds wonderful and works fabulously. I would expect no less from any ES receiver.

And as for Atmos, anyone with a dedicated space sufficient to deploy Atmos is likely not looking at mid-level receivers, let alone Sony ES. JMHO. Folks trying to squeeze it into a family room, maybe.

Last edited by ClarkeBar; 10-16-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-16-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For installers it seems

I'm looking for a new AVR and was interested in these. I've had Sony ES gear that has been good too. However, the publicity seems to talk more about what they don't do. If they had jettisoned a lot of functionality (like streaming) to focus on stronger power amplification (for example), that might tempt me. Instead on audio performance they talk about screw positioning . These seem to be targeted mainly at installers - maybe a market segment easier to track, support and satisfy. It looks like the HDMI/HDCP support ties in with integrating with the latest display devices that high end installations need, and I guess a lot of these don't know / don't care about some of the receiver functionality that is more challenging to operate.

Marantz SR6009/7009 is currently on my list (though they don't seem to have reached Europe - or France - yet). An updated STR-DA5800ES would also be interesting.

Jamie
post #5 of 6 Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post
About the only receiver brand I would ever consider buying after several years now of running separates would be Anthem. And they need to bring Atmos to the table as well, although certainly not for me.

As for Sony, the only Sony audio standard I would ever and have ever bought is ES. They perform at the Elevated Standard in their nomenclature and in my experience last for many years. In fact my last ES purchase was a 2004 build W2000ES CD Player/recorder bought some years ago on ebay and the darn thing still sounds wonderful and works fabulously. I would expect no less from any ES receiver.

And as for Atmos, anyone with a dedicated space sufficient to deploy Atmos is likely not looking at mid-level receivers, let alone Sony ES. JMHO. Folks trying to squeeze it into a family room, maybe.
I have a dedicated space and would just like to try a pair of the speaker top Atmos modules before running wires and putting speakers in or on the ceiling.

From what I've read the atmos modules can work really well.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That sounds like a plan!
Sponsored Links