Sony STR-ZA3000ES quick impressions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 10-24-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sony STR-ZA3000ES quick impressions

Just swapped my Marantz SR78005 for Sony STR-ZA3000ES and figured I'll post a few impressions. I am not much of a reviewer so feel free to ask and I will try to answer.

Two reasons why I got it - 4K ready and built in ethernet hub. It's such a great feature - can't figure out why almost no other receiver has it.

I was a bit apprehensive going from proven Audyssey room correction to Sony's proprietary method and my apprehension was further worsened by the fact that Audyssey takes a while while with Sony you put the mic into the sweet spot, the receiver goes blip - blup - wooo - blip, that's it. Done. Seemed to work though after my completely unscientific test with a few of my favorite surround sound video clips.

Two things that impressed me - on the Maranz corrected sound wasn't that great for music - had to use direct or pure direct modes. With the Sony corrected sound is great with music - exceptional stereo imaging and very neutral sound.
durack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 Old 10-25-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well, that was fast.
Halfway through the movie center channel died accopanied by a blast of static from other channels.
durack is offline  
post #3 of 70 Old 10-28-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Sounds like that 5 yr warranty will come in handy.
aydu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 70 Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This was after 1 day of ownership so I just brought it back to the store.

Replacement seems to be working well...so far.

It's bare bones as far as bells and whistles go (no airplay, spotify etc) and the amp section is definitely on the wimpy side, spec wise, however I really like the ethernet hub and the way it sounds with both movies and music.

Also it is one of the very few receivers that are both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant so in theory this should be future proof for quite a while.
durack is offline  
post #5 of 70 Old 11-02-2014, 02:19 PM
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 4,945
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Does the thing have to be on for the hub to work? Not sure how you'd use POE for a built in hub in an entertainment system. Given I have a hub or switch buried in my entertainment center I can see how that could be useful. But only if I could connect the hub on the receiver to my router and keep everything available network wide. In that regard it would work just like any network hub/switch.

Is that how it works?
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #6 of 70 Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is my impression of this seems somewhat lower Spec specially in the Amp Section and looks somewhat "Cheaper" and plastic compared to the 5800es ???
J_P_P is offline  
post #7 of 70 Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Sorry to hear of the troubles with your unit...good luck.

Onward, I was prolly one of the few very interested to see what the ES series would bring to the table this year- especially with the "later" release.

And so this looked like a decent start-- HDMI 2.0 with a couple HDCP 2.2's and (2) outputs mirroring the same.

But after viewing a video online, this appears to be the "flagship" with at least a couple below it?!

Wow. A 7.2 channel flagship in 2014?

Surely there is more?

Unit looks great (aesthetically) by the way.

Well, on the brightside I don't yet see a reason to regret my marantz 7702.

James

Last edited by mastermaybe; 11-02-2014 at 06:32 PM.
mastermaybe is offline  
post #8 of 70 Old 11-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Newbie
 
gblb57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Smile str-za3000es sound quality

I recently purchased this receiver and the sound quality is great for both music and movies. This is an excellent receiver for hi-res music. The specs of the receiver don't look good on paper you have to listen to it to appreciate the sound.
gblb57 is offline  
post #9 of 70 Old 11-19-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Does the thing have to be on for the hub to work? Not sure how you'd use POE for a built in hub in an entertainment system. Given I have a hub or switch buried in my entertainment center I can see how that could be useful. But only if I could connect the hub on the receiver to my router and keep everything available network wide. In that regard it would work just like any network hub/switch.

Is that how it works?
Pretty much.

I have ethernet lines in the house going to my study, living room and HT room from the router.
With this receiver I can attach it to the HT room ethernet wall socket and plug all other units (Apple TV, PS3, HTPC) with ethernet cable into the receiver. Otherwise I would have had to buy a separate ethernet switch - sure not a big deal, but one more box, one more AC adapter, etc. WiFi is too prone to hiccups for me, especially when streaming high bitrate video.

In any case for me it is better to have ethernet sockets than a bunch of analog inputs that I will never ever use (YMMV of course).

I haven't checked whether it has to be on for the hub to work since I will not get the signal on my projector if the receiver is not on. I will plug in a laptop one of these days and check it out.
durack is offline  
post #10 of 70 Old 11-19-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Sorry to hear of the troubles with your unit...good luck.

Onward, I was prolly one of the few very interested to see what the ES series would bring to the table this year- especially with the "later" release.

And so this looked like a decent start-- HDMI 2.0 with a couple HDCP 2.2's and (2) outputs mirroring the same.

But after viewing a video online, this appears to be the "flagship" with at least a couple below it?!

Wow. A 7.2 channel flagship in 2014?

Surely there is more?

Unit looks great (aesthetically) by the way.

Well, on the brightside I don't yet see a reason to regret my marantz 7702.

James
I am coming from Marantz SR7005 and while the amp section on the Marantz felt substantially more powerful, I actually prefer the Sony sound - seems to be more detailed and the dialogue seems more clear (this is after running automatic room correction on both units).
durack is offline  
post #11 of 70 Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Member
 
cdp1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know of good rear wireless speakers I can add to this receiver?
cdp1276 is offline  
post #12 of 70 Old 01-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Subwoofers

I just purchased the STR-ZA300es. Sony website said it is a 7.2 channel receiver. I have 2 subwoofers. Set up will only let me add on one subwoofer. Anyone able to connect 2 subwoofers?
Hdmarkman is offline  
post #13 of 70 Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 AM
Member
 
portony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Glen Mills, Pa / Spring Hill, Fla
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Owner

Hello,
I just purchased and installed this unit too. I'm very happy with it so far. I have (5) Paradigm speakers and Sunfire sub. I hope more users come forward and an official user thread can be started.
Thanks,
portony is offline  
post #14 of 70 Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Member
 
kdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I just picked up the STR-ZA3000ES and would also appreciate an official thread.

_______________
KDogs
Sony 77A1E/65A1E Marantz 8805/ NAD M27
B&W 804 D3, CM 6 S2 sides, HTM1 D3 Center
M&K S150 rears, M&K sub, Mac Mini, Apple TV, Oppo 203
kdogs is offline  
post #15 of 70 Old 08-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Member
 
portony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Glen Mills, Pa / Spring Hill, Fla
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Owner too

Hello,
I just purchased this unit too. I'm not used to having a receiver without all of the bells and whistles regarding sound fields. The A/V store said you don't need them anymore but I sort of miss playing with them. Anyone else thoughts on this. I'm very happy with the unit. I just feel I'm not utilizing it to it's fullest capabilities. Is there an official user thread yet? I can't find one.
thank you
portony is offline  
post #16 of 70 Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by portony View Post
Hello,
I just purchased this unit too. I'm not used to having a receiver without all of the bells and whistles regarding sound fields. The A/V store said you don't need them anymore but I sort of miss playing with them. Anyone else thoughts on this. I'm very happy with the unit. I just feel I'm not utilizing it to it's fullest capabilities. Is there an official user thread yet? I can't find one.
thank you
I'm interested in getting this model as well. May I ask what people are paying for it? It's between a NAD receiver and this Sony 3000es. I have the Sony 4K 70" TV and media server and sony blu-ray and other components like Blu-Ray and Apple TV.

This is the ONLY Sony model that I can pick from because Sony only puts pre outs for an external amp on their ES line only and ONLY on the TOP model ES brand so that isn't cool at all.
tedhontz is offline  
post #17 of 70 Old 09-03-2015, 02:25 AM
Member
 
portony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Glen Mills, Pa / Spring Hill, Fla
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
I'm interested in getting this model as well. May I ask what people are paying for it? It's between a NAD receiver and this Sony 3000es. I have the Sony 4K 70" TV and media server and sony blu-ray and other components like Blu-Ray and Apple TV.

This is the ONLY Sony model that I can pick from because Sony only puts pre outs for an external amp on their ES line only and ONLY on the TOP model ES brand so that isn't cool at all.
Hello
I'm very seriously considering selling my unit. I have maybe 6 hours of use on it. I have it installed in a home I own in Florida and I'm there every other month. It is way more than I need but I bought it quickly and it was the only unit that offered 2.2. The store only offered Sony, Anthem and Marantz.
If you are interested in it, PM me and I can send you pics.

[email protected]
portony is offline  
post #18 of 70 Old 09-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
I am coming from Marantz SR7005 and while the amp section on the Marantz felt substantially more powerful, I actually prefer the Sony sound - seems to be more detailed and the dialogue seems more clear (this is after running automatic room correction on both units).
You mentioned running automatic room correction on both units. I am looking at the Marantz SR7008 and the 3000es. I originally started with a new NAD receiver but it didn't get along with my components and the technician said to return it. The ONLY reason I'm thinking Sony is because I just bought a 70" 4K Sony Smart TV and a Sony X10 Media Server and Sony Blu-Ray player and also have an older HDMI Sony 5 disc upconverting DVD Player. I did not plan to buy all Sony but it kind of happened. I was thinking if I went with a Sony maybe everything would get along and work right.

Since you've setup the automatic room correction on both units, which did you prefer? I know the Marantz has the Audyssey XT32 in it and the Sony doesn't even have Audyssey at all. I myself am not into Audyssey. It is WAY to complex for me to use. Some of these guys out there crawl around on the floor and also put tape on all door seals. Crap like that is ridiculous for me. I want it mainly for two channel sound but will use the video stuff as well.

I only want the best Sony for one reason, it is the ONLY Sony model that has pre-outs so I can hookup my external amp to my front speakers. Sony's regular line has not even ONE receiver with a pair of pre outs. And even on the ES, you have to get the 3000es. On the Sony, for half the price I can get the 1060 and get wifi and all these cool features and the specs seems better. But maybe, hoping, the quality is better on the plainer and much more expensive 3000es.

So I'm asking you as a user of both of these units, which one is easier to setup and navigate through? Marantz SR7008 or Sony 3000es?

Thanks!
tedhontz is offline  
post #19 of 70 Old 09-03-2015, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
You mentioned running automatic room correction on both units. I am looking at the Marantz SR7008 and the 3000es. I originally started with a new NAD receiver but it didn't get along with my components and the technician said to return it. The ONLY reason I'm thinking Sony is because I just bought a 70" 4K Sony Smart TV and a Sony X10 Media Server and Sony Blu-Ray player and also have an older HDMI Sony 5 disc upconverting DVD Player. I did not plan to buy all Sony but it kind of happened. I was thinking if I went with a Sony maybe everything would get along and work right.

Since you've setup the automatic room correction on both units, which did you prefer? I know the Marantz has the Audyssey XT32 in it and the Sony doesn't even have Audyssey at all. I myself am not into Audyssey. It is WAY to complex for me to use. Some of these guys out there crawl around on the floor and also put tape on all door seals. Crap like that is ridiculous for me. I want it mainly for two channel sound but will use the video stuff as well.

I only want the best Sony for one reason, it is the ONLY Sony model that has pre-outs so I can hookup my external amp to my front speakers. Sony's regular line has not even ONE receiver with a pair of pre outs. And even on the ES, you have to get the 3000es. On the Sony, for half the price I can get the 1060 and get wifi and all these cool features and the specs seems better. But maybe, hoping, the quality is better on the plainer and much more expensive 3000es.

So I'm asking you as a user of both of these units, which one is easier to setup and navigate through? Marantz SR7008 or Sony 3000es?

Thanks!
I had Marantz 7005 which still had a very clunky interface which I assume they have improved by now.
Sony was super easy to setup and navigate. It has automated room correction which in my room produces better sound than my old 7005, I tweaked the sub level a bit since it was too loud.
With regards to sound fields - a lot less options but I never ever used any of them on my other receivers so I do not miss them.

Bottom line - I like the sound with 2 channel stereo, I like movie sound with Sony room correction, it is 4K-proof so I plan to keep the Sony for a long time.
durack is offline  
post #20 of 70 Old 09-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
I had Marantz 7005 which still had a very clunky interface which I assume they have improved by now.
Sony was super easy to setup and navigate. It has automated room correction which in my room produces better sound than my old 7005, I tweaked the sub level a bit since it was too loud.
With regards to sound fields - a lot less options but I never ever used any of them on my other receivers so I do not miss them.

Bottom line - I like the sound with 2 channel stereo, I like movie sound with Sony room correction, it is 4K-proof so I plan to keep the Sony for a long time.
Thanks Durack!

After the very limited amount of reading and googling on the 3000es, I think I am going to go for it. I don't like that little 1" tiny display on the Marantz. I don't understand why you would hide the nice display screen and then offer a 1" display on the front of the receiver. And I know that the Marantz SR7008 is the flagship for it's year made but and it also has Audyssey XT32, but it has Audyssey XT32 and from my Audyssey experience, you are always constantly messing with it. The Marantz SR7008 is only $729 and free shipping right now and actually cheaper than the Sony, but I'm going to go for the Sony and hope that I made the right decision. I could care less about specs for power, etc. because I will be using a 200 watts per channel RMS external amplifier so I hope the Sony does it's job of making it sound good!

Ted
tedhontz is offline  
post #21 of 70 Old 09-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
New Thread?

I ended up buying a 3000ES tonight. I got a brand new one in the box with a receipt so that I'll have the 5 year warranty. I paid $775 total and free shipping. I can't wait for it to arrive. There has to be other people out there that either own this receiver or are interested in it. It's just that Sony does such an awful job advertising it. I think we should start a thread for the owners of the 1000ES, 2000ES, and 3000ES. This way we can find each other so we can help each other out. I know I'll need some minor help. What do you think about making an owner's thread. I will start it if you like. I'm excited to get my receiver next week and I'd love to start are own thread for us. What do you all think?
tedhontz is offline  
post #22 of 70 Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Ok, I was all upset on finding out there was a 5800ES that offered more, but the "more" stuff was really more junk and that the 3000es had less but what it has, was better, and newer. SO, I just got my 3000ES from Fed Ex and I hooked it up and it is NOT cooperating with me. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this receiver?

This thing doesn't come with a manual!

My main problem and first problem is that 99% of the time I will be listening to 2 channel music. Just want my front channel speakers and subwoofers. When it's on "Multi-Stereo" it plays out my center channel and rears and subs but when I turn it to 2 channel mode, my subwoofers turn OFF. I want my subwoofers ON.

Sony said the crossover on the subwoofer was adjustable on the screen and I don't see see anywhere where to adjust the crossover for the subwoofer. I only see the option to change crossover on Front, Center, and Surround.

Please help me so I can listen to 2 channel music with just my 2 front main speakers and my subwoofers. Thanks in advance!
tedhontz is offline  
post #23 of 70 Old 09-18-2015, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,742
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21856 Post(s)
Liked: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
Ok, I was all upset on finding out there was a 5800ES that offered more, but the "more" stuff was really more junk and that the 3000es had less but what it has, was better, and newer. SO, I just got my 3000ES from Fed Ex and I hooked it up and it is NOT cooperating with me. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this receiver?

This thing doesn't come with a manual!

My main problem and first problem is that 99% of the time I will be listening to 2 channel music. Just want my front channel speakers and subwoofers. When it's on "Multi-Stereo" it plays out my center channel and rears and subs but when I turn it to 2 channel mode, my subwoofers turn OFF. I want my subwoofers ON.

Sony said the crossover on the subwoofer was adjustable on the screen and I don't see see anywhere where to adjust the crossover for the subwoofer. I only see the option to change crossover on Front, Center, and Surround.

Please help me so I can listen to 2 channel music with just my 2 front main speakers and my subwoofers. Thanks in advance!
You can download the manual from Sony's website. Go into speaker setup and set all speakers to SMALL with at least an 80Hz crossover. This will ensure your the lower frequencies below the crossover are sent to the sub regardless of whether playing a DD/DTS 5.1 BD/DVD or a stereo 2.0 track. However, when selecting the "2CH Stereo mode" as noted in the image below, the subwoofer is not active.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	4026
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	947946  

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 09-18-2015 at 06:27 AM.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #24 of 70 Old 09-18-2015, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
Ok, I was all upset on finding out there was a 5800ES that offered more, but the "more" stuff was really more junk and that the 3000es had less but what it has, was better, and newer. SO, I just got my 3000ES from Fed Ex and I hooked it up and it is NOT cooperating with me. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this receiver?

This thing doesn't come with a manual!

My main problem and first problem is that 99% of the time I will be listening to 2 channel music. Just want my front channel speakers and subwoofers. When it's on "Multi-Stereo" it plays out my center channel and rears and subs but when I turn it to 2 channel mode, my subwoofers turn OFF. I want my subwoofers ON.

Sony said the crossover on the subwoofer was adjustable on the screen and I don't see see anywhere where to adjust the crossover for the subwoofer. I only see the option to change crossover on Front, Center, and Surround.

Please help me so I can listen to 2 channel music with just my 2 front main speakers and my subwoofers. Thanks in advance!




The 2 channel mode disables all crossovers, so the subwoofer is not used. It does just what the words mean - 2.0 channel playback.


The Auto mode will activate the proper receiver settings that you need for 2.1 playback.
J_Palmer_Cass is offline  
post #25 of 70 Old 09-18-2015, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
The 2 channel mode disables all crossovers, so the subwoofer is not used. It does just what the words mean - 2.0 channel playback.


The Auto mode will activate the proper receiver settings that you need for 2.1 playback.

How do I activate this "auto" mode? I did find a soundfield that uses just the front speakers and the subwoofer so maybe that is it? It is called A.F.D. I don't know what that stands for but that is sure not a user friendly way of letting someone know they are in "stereo" mode.

I guess what I'm not looking for is 2 channel playback, I'm looking for stereo mode. That's what it was called on my last receiver. This one has a MULTI STEREO mode but that enables the center and rears as well so I definitely don't want that. I find it odd they added a multi stereo mode but no stereo mode. So is A.F.D. what I want?
tedhontz is offline  
post #26 of 70 Old 09-18-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,742
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21856 Post(s)
Liked: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
How do I activate this "auto" mode? I did find a soundfield that uses just the front speakers and the subwoofer so maybe that is it? It is called A.F.D. I don't know what that stands for but that is sure not a user friendly way of letting someone know they are in "stereo" mode.

I guess what I'm not looking for is 2 channel playback, I'm looking for stereo mode. That's what it was called on my last receiver. This one has a MULTI STEREO mode but that enables the center and rears as well so I definitely don't want that. I find it odd they added a multi stereo mode but no stereo mode. So is A.F.D. what I want?
Yes, that is correct as noted by the image below:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	4158
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	947994  
tedhontz likes this.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #27 of 70 Old 09-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes, that is correct as noted by the image below:


Thank you.
tedhontz is offline  
post #28 of 70 Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdmarkman View Post
I just purchased the STR-ZA300es. Sony website said it is a 7.2 channel receiver. I have 2 subwoofers. Set up will only let me add on one subwoofer. Anyone able to connect 2 subwoofers?
I have two subwoofers connected and working but the screen will one show one when calibrating.
tedhontz is offline  
post #29 of 70 Old 09-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Ok guys I have a couple of questions about the subwoofers settings. It appears there is no place in the menu to pick the subwoofer crossover frequency to like 80, etc. I do see that I can adjust the front, center and surround. So if I set those all to 80Hz, does that mean the subwoofer will only pickup sounds below 80Hz and is that the recommended setup?

Next, I have manually adjusted the levels of all of the speakers to sound the way I want on 2 channel AFD mode but what I am afraid is, that movies have SO MUCH MORE bass than music, that I might blow my subs on movies. On my last receiver, a NAD, it had a volume control for the subwoofer right on the remote. So easy. Does this exist on the Sony? Also, my music sounds OK but the bass is a lot but it doesn't hit hard or tight. It's kind of loose and sloppy. I know my subwoofers are capable of better that what they are sounding like now and I'm afraid that it is the Sony ES that is holding back that sound. Any recommendations to help with this problem. I think the sound of this receiver hooked up to my same external amp is ok, but not near as good as my previous NAD receiver. I'd like to get some help to improve this to make my happier with it.

Thanks in advance!

Ted
tedhontz is offline  
post #30 of 70 Old 09-22-2015, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,742
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21856 Post(s)
Liked: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
Ok guys I have a couple of questions about the subwoofers settings. It appears there is no place in the menu to pick the subwoofer crossover frequency to like 80, etc. I do see that I can adjust the front, center and surround. So if I set those all to 80Hz, does that mean the subwoofer will only pickup sounds below 80Hz and is that the recommended setup?
There is no subwoofer crossover frequency as a crossover applies to a speaker in that the frequencies below the crossover setting are passed on to the subwoofer.
jdsmoothie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off