Receiver Advice - repair elite SC 37 or buy new one in the $2,000 - $3,000 range - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Receiver Advice - repair elite SC 37 or buy new one in the $2,000 - $3,000 range

I have a Pioneer elite SC-37 Receiver running 7.1 Def Tech BP 7004 fronts, with a Def Tech Center and BP 8080 Surrounds and Surround backs with a velodyne sub. The surround back left channel all of a sudden stopped working and I'm wondering if it is worth repairing or not? Anyone know what the possible repair cost could be? I called numerous repair shops but as you might guess that want me to bring it in and I'd rather get an estimate without having to carry that heavy SOB into the store. That is part 1 - an estimate if anyone has had a similar repair?

2 - if i decide to buy a new one, what in the 2-3k range is available these days and will anything be a major step up over the sc 37? i'm primarily into movies, about 90% of use as it is in a dedicated home theater.

Thanks as always for the help and valuable advice everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 515
AFAIK, both surround back channels contain the exact same signal. There aren't any soundtracks with discrete surround back left & surround back right audio. If the surround back left amp bit the dust you can either move the surround back right speaker to the middle of your back wall and just use that, or wire both surround back speakers in series to the surround back right output on your AVR. In either case, rerun the MCACC setup after you've reconfigured your speakers.

If you're just jonesing for a new avr however, you might want to consider upgrading to a receiver with Audyssey XT32 room correction (Denon AVR-X4100w or higher).
post #3 of 8 Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Of course, if you get a modern receiver like the 4100 which includes Atmos, you'll be buying more speakers, too....

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post
AFAIK, both surround back channels contain the exact same signal. There aren't any soundtracks with discrete surround back left & surround back right audio. If the surround back left amp bit the dust you can either move the surround back right speaker to the middle of your back wall and just use that, or wire both surround back speakers in series to the surround back right output on your AVR. In either case, rerun the MCACC setup after you've reconfigured your speakers.

If you're just jonesing for a new avr however, you might want to consider upgrading to a receiver with Audyssey XT32 room correction (Denon AVR-X4100w or higher).
ah, that is an interesting idea. That wouldn't put too much stress on the one surround back right channel amp? if that is true i really like that solution to tide me over for about 6 months. Was planning on upgrading around then but would like to upgrade my sub first. it is rather old, almost 10 years, and is starting to act up a bit.

Thanks!
post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2014, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
You sure its the amp and not the connection or speaker?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
You sure its the amp and not the connection or speaker?
yes, when switching the surround back speakers the same channel doesn't work and the SBL speaker works when using it with different channels. When you say that i could wire both to the SBR channel, wouldn't that just make them both on or off? Aren't there scenarios where the SBL would be on and the SBR would not be putting any sound out?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-24-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDLOP View Post
yes, when switching the surround back speakers the same channel doesn't work and the SBL speaker works when using it with different channels. When you say that i could wire both to the SBR channel, wouldn't that just make them both on or off? Aren't there scenarios where the SBL would be on and the SBR would not be putting any sound out?
Indeed there are, but not many. Unfortunately, it's the left rear surround amp that's normally used if you configure a receiver for 6.1 (center rear) Check the manual to be certain, though.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #8 of 8 Old 11-24-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDLOP View Post
When you say that i could wire both to the SBR channel, wouldn't that just make them both on or off? Aren't there scenarios where the SBL would be on and the SBR would not be putting any sound out?
Did a little more research and it looks like BD audio tracks can be encoded with discrete SBL & SBR channels, so I stand corrected. Regardless, if you rewire your system into a 6.1 configuration and then run MCACC, your AVR will know that you only have a single SB speaker and it should multiplex the SBL & SBR channel information and direct it to the single surround back speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page