Help with Onkyo TX-SR605 and Smart TV Audio Output - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Help with Onkyo TX-SR605 and Smart TV Audio Output

I feel like a blithering idiot but can't figure this out for the life of me. I hope this is the correct forum. If not, let me know if it needs to go elsewhere.

I've had an Onkyo TX-SR605 for several years, and have my DirecTV box (HDMI), Blu-Ray (HDMI) and Wii (component) connected to it, with HDMI running out to my TV. No problems.

We just got a Samsung 7150 SmartTV. My issue is with the SmartApps (Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, etc...). I can view them on-screen just fine, but how the heck do you hear the audio from them.

For example, I have the receiver input set to CAB/SAT for my DirecTV input. I'm watching TV and then hit the SmartHUB button on the remote which launches the Smart Apps. If I launch Pandora, I see Pandora's display, but still hear the audio from DirecTV (since that's the active input on the receiver).

Thanks in advance,
Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bookbinder View Post
I feel like a blithering idiot but can't figure this out for the life of me. I hope this is the correct forum. If not, let me know if it needs to go elsewhere.

I've had an Onkyo TX-SR605 for several years, and have my DirecTV box (HDMI), Blu-Ray (HDMI) and Wii (component) connected to it, with HDMI running out to my TV. No problems.

We just got a Samsung 7150 SmartTV. My issue is with the SmartApps (Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, etc...). I can view them on-screen just fine, but how the heck do you hear the audio from them.

For example, I have the receiver input set to CAB/SAT for my DirecTV input. I'm watching TV and then hit the SmartHUB button on the remote which launches the Smart Apps. If I launch Pandora, I see Pandora's display, but still hear the audio from DirecTV (since that's the active input on the receiver).

Thanks in advance,
Evan

Alright, I think I got it licked. I ran the DirecTV HDMI to the TV instead of the receiver, and ran an optical audio cable (glad I saved that from my PS2 years ago!) to the receiver. I changed the receiver audio input from HDMT to OPT1 and all is well. DirecTV audio and SmartTV are both sent to the receiver.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
You could have just connected the TV to the receiver with an optical cable and changed inputs when you want to use your Smart TV Apps. You didn't really need to move the directv box from the receiver to the TV.

Do you still get a Dolby Digital signal when you watch HD TV channels?

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 02:35 PM

I have finally got around to adding a tv to my bonus room and have the same issues with my Onkyo TX-SR605. I was going to try using the optical port on my Samsung smart tv to the Onkyo receiver. This may be a dumb newbie question, but where is the optical audio input on the receiver. I have googled and looked through the manual. Perhaps this model is older and does not have one??? Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
The sr605 has two optical inputs on the back. On the left side when you're are looking at the back panel. I circled them in blue with an arrow pointing to the optical inputs.

You'll have to make sure whatever optical input you want to use is assigned properly. Hopefully you have the manual or access to it online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo sr605 back.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	605.1 KB
ID:	2648554  

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page