**miniDSP DDRC-88A Official Thread**8-channel AI/AO Dirac Live in a box - Page 510 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3907Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #15271 of 16788 Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
As I mentioned in my previous post, Mike, there is a self-service web page that allows a licensed Dirac user to manage the license instances. This is certainly better than waiting for a response from the vendor.
DaveyMac likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15272 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
AV_mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post, Mike, there is a self-service web page that allows a licensed Dirac user to manage the license instances. This is certainly better than waiting for a response from the vendor.
Sorry, I must have skimmed the posts. That is new, and worthwhile information, to me at least. Thanks!!
Regards, Mike.

System: Pioneer KRP-500M, Lumagen Mini3D, Denon AVR-4520 (custom modified to allow use of >>>), miniDSP DDRC88BM, Oppo 103EU, Sky+HD DRX895, Humax HDR-FOX-T2 (x2), Apple ATV3
Bowers & Wilkins CM8 (left & right) - CMC2 (centre) - Kef HTS3001SE Surrounds, miniDSP 2x4HD, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB2000 (x2) <<< Perfectly blended by MSO
AV_mike is offline  
post #15273 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 05:16 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I noticed my Subwoofer making a strange noise during Godzilla and further investigation with REW later, showed that the LFE (Channel 4 in REW) only, was the culprit. It seemed to be >15db above the same "Centre + Sub" test signal in the Bass region.

I thought to reduce the LFE signal in the BM Plugin by 10dB, and it helped. But after a reboot of the 88 - it all seemed to be lacking in bass.

I removed the -10dB, and it all sounded OK again. I have not validated with REW again (ran out of time).

Has anybody else noticed strange activities with the 88 - fixed by a reboot?

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15274 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 05:22 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 395
MiniDSP have suggested I re-install the "old" Dirac software if I wish to fix the "subwoofer" tick box issue (on Channel 3) which is causing me problems with a "Solution 1" Dual 88 Setup.

I think this will involve a Dirac Account. I am considering this option - what are the downsides of going back? I don't wish to exchange one problem for another - so if anyone knows the improvements in the software with the latest release, I'd like to know the significance.

Do I assume this latest bug is a "Dirac" issue, not MiniDSP? As in, who is responsible for fixing? My general preference is always to stay on the latest FW/Software and move forward.....

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is online now  
post #15275 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 05:37 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Hi @AustinJerry :
I am reading "A Brief Guide to Creating Custom Target Curves with Dirac Live" in your signature, and it mentions "Why start at 0dB? Because we want to avoid boost when creating filters." I have heard this before, but it is my understanding that Dirac can correct from -10dB to +10dB. Can you clarify the thinking on this?

I saw a "Harmon" curve earlier in the thread - which I see used this approach (after importing). I tried it, but switching back to my Dirac Autocurve has a audible jump in volume.

Should I make all my curves comply the the "no boost" rule way? It seems strange that the Autocurve doesn't do this....

Thanks for any pointers, as I continue to get to grips with this stuff.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is online now  
post #15276 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
Hi @AustinJerry :
I am reading "A Brief Guide to Creating Custom Target Curves with Dirac Live" in your signature, and it mentions "Why start at 0dB? Because we want to avoid boost when creating filters." I have heard this before, but it is my understanding that Dirac can correct from -10dB to +10dB. Can you clarify the thinking on this?

I saw a "Harmon" curve earlier in the thread - which I see used this approach (after importing). I tried it, but switching back to my Dirac Autocurve has a audible jump in volume.

Should I make all my curves comply the the "no boost" rule way? It seems strange that the Autocurve doesn't do this....

Thanks for any pointers, as I continue to get to grips with this stuff.
First, the boost question. Dirac can only apply 10dB boost, so any dip larger than 10dB will not get completely corrected.

How does this relate to the shape/position of the custom target curve, and the resulting output level of the speakers? There are two attributes of the custom target curve—its shape, and it’s vertical position. The recommended shape is the “Harmon curve”, which has the so-called “ski-jump” shape. Step 1 in developing the custom target is applying the shape. After doing so, and clicking “optimize”, inspect the resulting “after” curve in relation to the “before” curve. Are there any points along the curve where Dirac is trying to correct dips greater than 10dB (the “after” curve will dip below the target)? If yes, then adjust the whole curve downwards, click “optimize” again, and see if the dips are now corrected. Lowering the whole target curve has the effect of lowering the output levels of the speakers, requiring compensation by raising the AVR master volume.

If you have difficulties following this logic, you could upload your Dirac project(s) to a file sharing site and I would be glad to take a look at them.
wl1 and FargateOne like this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15277 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 06:12 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
MiniDSP have suggested I re-install the "old" Dirac software if I wish to fix the "subwoofer" tick box issue (on Channel 3) which is causing me problems with a "Solution 1" Dual 88 Setup.

I think this will involve a Dirac Account. I am considering this option - what are the downsides of going back? I don't wish to exchange one problem for another - so if anyone knows the improvements in the software with the latest release, I'd like to know the significance.

Do I assume this latest bug is a "Dirac" issue, not MiniDSP? As in, who is responsible for fixing? My general preference is always to stay on the latest FW/Software and move forward.....
I don’t think you will lose anything critical. Strange that this bug has not been addressed.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15278 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 06:16 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If you have difficulties following this logic, you could upload your Dirac project(s) to a file sharing site and I would be glad to take a look at them.
OK - it sounds like I only need to reduce the shapes vertical position if it has dips that Dirac could not correct...good stuff. I'll play some more......

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is online now  
post #15279 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 06:18 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
I noticed my Subwoofer making a strange noise during Godzilla and further investigation with REW later, showed that the LFE (Channel 4 in REW) only, was the culprit. It seemed to be >15db above the same "Centre + Sub" test signal in the Bass region.

I thought to reduce the LFE signal in the BM Plugin by 10dB, and it helped. But after a reboot of the 88 - it all seemed to be lacking in bass.

I removed the -10dB, and it all sounded OK again. I have not validated with REW again (ran out of time).

Has anybody else noticed strange activities with the 88 - fixed by a reboot?
AFAIK, all settings in the 88A are in non-volatile flash memory, so power-cycling the 88A should not cause any different settings to be invoked. After a Dirac calibration on my set-up, output levels, including on the sub channel, are all pretty close to being balanced. You have a more complex setup than I do, so it is difficult to assess what might be happening. I would use the mic and REW, or a SPL meter, to set the sub channel to your preferred level. Then make sure you save the 88A configuration, and see if the sub level remains the same.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 05-15-2018 at 06:23 AM.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15280 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 06:21 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Then make sure you save the 88A configuration, and see it the sub level remains the same.
OK - thanks for the pointers. I am running "Solution 2" of the Dual Setup still....so LFE is only going through one 88.

I haven't been through and checked the "gains" side of the guides yet. It's on my (long) list.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is online now  
post #15281 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 06:22 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
OK - it sounds like I only need to reduce the shapes vertical position if it has dips that Dirac could not correct...good stuff. I'll play some more......
Yes, that is correct. Some people are unhappy about reduced output levels, but IMO the correction is more important than having to use a slightly higher MV setting. The output levels are largely determined by the “flat” portion of the custom target curve above ~500Hz. The right-hand portion of my custom curve is very close to 0dB, while the left-hand portion with the bass boost is ~+6.5dB. My output levels are ~74dB.
wl1 likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15282 of 16788 Old 05-15-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,320
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
Hi guys,
Talking about monitoring of Atmos channel use on a few threads and I was wondering...is anyone running 7.1.6 or 9.1.4 with two MiniDSP 88A's here? And if so, can they monitor the inputs for all 14 (13 speakers, 1 LFE) channels?

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
sdrucker is offline  
post #15283 of 16788 Old 05-16-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,964
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Ordered my 88B and 2x4 Balanced today!

I thought about waiting until Dirac Live 2.0 comes out or MiniDSP makes a new model...or whatever, but I hear nearly every single person that uses Dirac Live comment that it was the single biggest thing they noticed that changed their system.

I can always upgrade later.

So with that in mind, I’ll be using the 2x4 Balanced to control a pair of subs, which will then be presented to the 88B as a single signal. From there the 88B will control the rest of my 7-channel system.

AustinJerry I’ll be reading through all of the guides and then coming back as I’m setting it all up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
AustinJerry likes this.
ScottieBoysName is offline  
post #15284 of 16788 Old 05-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
MBrown2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just received my DDRC-88A /w BM today. Before installing in my rack in two weeks, I hooked it up to my laptop to get settings started and make sure everything is up to date.
Everything came pre-loaded with what looks like current firmware. My user downloads were for the plugin V1.8 and firmware V2.23. When I connect with the plugin it says "DDRC-88 with Bass Management 1.8 firmware 2.24."
Is this a new firmware that isn't documented yet?

Display: LG 65" OLED C7P + OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Processor: Marantz AV8802a & Dual DDRC-88a BM 7.1.4 ATMOS Setup
Speakers: (6) B&W 685 S2 - L,R,SR,SL,SBR,SBL + (1) B&W HTM61 S2 - Center + (4) B&W CCM 682 - Atmos
Amps: (1) Rotel RMB-1585 + (3) Rotel RB-1582 MKII Subs: (4) SVS PC-2000's
MBrown2020 is offline  
post #15285 of 16788 Old 05-18-2018, 04:15 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown2020 View Post
Just received my DDRC-88A /w BM today. Before installing in my rack in two weeks, I hooked it up to my laptop to get settings started and make sure everything is up to date.
Everything came pre-loaded with what looks like current firmware. My user downloads were for the plugin V1.8 and firmware V2.23. When I connect with the plugin it says "DDRC-88 with Bass Management 1.8 firmware 2.24."
Is this a new firmware that isn't documented yet?
There is a ver 2.24 in the DDRC-22 downloads area, shown as a “minor upgrade”. I suspect the same minor upgrade was made to the 88A FW, but the web site hasn’t been updated yet. I would not be concerned.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15286 of 16788 Old 05-18-2018, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
MBrown2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There is a ver 2.24 in the DDRC-22 downloads area, shown as a “minor upgrade”. I suspect the same minor upgrade was made to the 88A FW, but the web site hasn’t been updated yet. I would not be concerned.

Yeah, not to concerned. Have to say miniDSP send out very updated units.



Question: Is there no input meters like the miniDSP 2x4 plugin? I see the "dirac tab" has input levels, but no meters. Thanks!

Display: LG 65" OLED C7P + OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Processor: Marantz AV8802a & Dual DDRC-88a BM 7.1.4 ATMOS Setup
Speakers: (6) B&W 685 S2 - L,R,SR,SL,SBR,SBL + (1) B&W HTM61 S2 - Center + (4) B&W CCM 682 - Atmos
Amps: (1) Rotel RMB-1585 + (3) Rotel RB-1582 MKII Subs: (4) SVS PC-2000's
MBrown2020 is offline  
post #15287 of 16788 Old 05-18-2018, 05:35 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown2020 View Post
Yeah, not to concerned. Have to say miniDSP send out very updated units.



Question: Is there no input meters like the miniDSP 2x4 plugin? I see the "dirac tab" has input levels, but no meters. Thanks!
The output tab has level meters. Are you not seeing them? Make sure you read through the 88BM setup guide linked in my sig.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15288 of 16788 Old 05-18-2018, 11:59 PM
Member
 
TimoJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Since few people are getting new units, I'm wondering if those still have the channel 1 buzzing noise or has MiniDSP silently fixed it? Have you tested/listened if it's still there?
TimoJ is offline  
post #15289 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoJ View Post
Since few people are getting new units, I'm wondering if those still have the channel 1 buzzing noise or has MiniDSP silently fixed it? Have you tested/listened if it's still there?
AFAIK mine isn't showing this issue

Denon X4400H / MiniDSP 88A-BM -> Atoll AM200 -> Kef IQ70 fronts
Crown XLS 1502 bridged -> Velodyne CHT 10Q (with dead internal amp) / SVS SB12-SND
Emotiva A-700 -> Kef IQ60c / Kef IQ 10 surrounds / SVS Prime Elevation front heights & rears
shaker114 is offline  
post #15290 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 06:44 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoJ View Post
Since few people are getting new units, I'm wondering if those still have the channel 1 buzzing noise or has MiniDSP silently fixed it? Have you tested/listened if it's still there?
Once I made the ch3<->ch1 swap to work around the issue, I have had no incentive to switch back to test if the buzz is still there. OTOH, I have not received any indication that MiniDSP either acknowledged the issue or issued a fix.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15291 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
MBrown2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The output tab has level meters. Are you not seeing them? Make sure you read through the 88BM setup guide linked in my sig.

Yes, I see the output meters. I know you don't have the HD version, which I do. The HD plugin has meters for the input signal level and also the output(See pictures). The BM plugin looked to be almost the same design so I thought there would also be input level meters. I can see there are input level (no meter) on the Dirac tab, so that seems to be all it has. Just curious
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inputs.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	2404616   Click image for larger version

Name:	outputs.png
Views:	16
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2404618  

Display: LG 65" OLED C7P + OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Processor: Marantz AV8802a & Dual DDRC-88a BM 7.1.4 ATMOS Setup
Speakers: (6) B&W 685 S2 - L,R,SR,SL,SBR,SBL + (1) B&W HTM61 S2 - Center + (4) B&W CCM 682 - Atmos
Amps: (1) Rotel RMB-1585 + (3) Rotel RB-1582 MKII Subs: (4) SVS PC-2000's
MBrown2020 is offline  
post #15292 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Member
 
TimoJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Once I made the ch3<->ch1 swap to work around the issue, I have had no incentive to switch back to test if the buzz is still there. OTOH, I have not received any indication that MiniDSP either acknowledged the issue or issued a fix.
Have you swapped to a newer unit? I don't think the issue is fixable with software. There was a post by a MiniDSP representative where they acknowledged the issue, don't you remember it?
TimoJ is offline  
post #15293 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 07:03 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoJ View Post
Have you swapped to a newer unit? I don't think the issue is fixable with software. There was a post by a MiniDSP representative where they acknowledged the issue, don't you remember it?
It has been quite some time since the issue was first reported, so I don’t recall the acknowledgement from MiniDSP. The “fix”, developed and tested by several of us here in the thread, is simply to change the LFE input to 88A input 1, and move the left speaker input to 88A input 3. The buzz was measured to be at ~1KHz, and a 1KHz is well above the audible frequency range of the sub channel.

This workaround is easy to implement (a little harder if re-wiring the Phoenix block), works perfectly, and is certainly better than waiting for a fix from MiniDSP. The input swap was documented in a post, to which I can provide a link if you are interested.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15294 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 07:08 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown2020 View Post
Yes, I see the output meters. I know you don't have the HD version, which I do. The HD plugin has meters for the input signal level and also the output(See pictures). The BM plugin looked to be almost the same design so I thought there would also be input level meters. I can see there are input level (no meter) on the Dirac tab, so that seems to be all it has. Just curious
Sorry, I mis-read your original post. Yes, the only input level indicators are on the Dirac tab. These seem to be perfectly adequate to me, and were used in the gain management procedure described in the 88BM guide linked in my sig. True, they are not as visual as meters would be, but I have not encountered a situation in which I wanted to monitor input levels from a distance.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15295 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 07:49 AM
Member
 
TimoJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
It has been quite some time since the issue was first reported, so I don’t recall the acknowledgement from MiniDSP. The “fix”, developed and tested by several of us here in the thread, is simply to change the LFE input to 88A input 1, and move the left speaker input to 88A input 3. The buzz was measured to be at ~1KHz, and a 1KHz is well above the audible frequency range of the sub channel.

This workaround is easy to implement (a little harder if re-wiring the Phoenix block), works perfectly, and is certainly better than waiting for a fix from MiniDSP. The input swap was documented in a post, to which I can provide a link if you are interested.
I was the one who first reported the issue here last october and also in the same post suggested using ch1 for the sub channel...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post54956320

Here is link to the MiniDSP's post from november about how they are going to fix it, it sure takes a long time: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post55056608
TimoJ is offline  
post #15296 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoJ View Post
I was the one who first reported the issue here last october and also in the same post suggested using ch1 for the sub channel...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post54956320

Here is link to the MiniDSP's post from november about how they are going to fix it, it sure takes a long time: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post55056608
Thank you for refreshing my memory. I post frequently enough on AVS that I don't always remember who posted about what. Since the workaround has made this a non-issue, I had long ago lost interest in whether it was fixed or not.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15297 of 16788 Old 05-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Senior Member
 
MBrown2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, I mis-read your original post. Yes, the only input level indicators are on the Dirac tab. These seem to be perfectly adequate to me, and were used in the gain management procedure described in the 88BM guide linked in my sig. True, they are not as visual as meters would be, but I have not encountered a situation in which I wanted to monitor input levels from a distance.

Jerry, I was wondering if you could post a sample project and your "ski jump" curve text file so I can load it up in DLCT to have something to play (Learn to use) with until my unit is installed in a couple weeks. Thanks.

Display: LG 65" OLED C7P + OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Processor: Marantz AV8802a & Dual DDRC-88a BM 7.1.4 ATMOS Setup
Speakers: (6) B&W 685 S2 - L,R,SR,SL,SBR,SBL + (1) B&W HTM61 S2 - Center + (4) B&W CCM 682 - Atmos
Amps: (1) Rotel RMB-1585 + (3) Rotel RB-1582 MKII Subs: (4) SVS PC-2000's
MBrown2020 is offline  
post #15298 of 16788 Old 05-20-2018, 06:10 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,849
Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown2020 View Post
Jerry, I was wondering if you could post a sample project and your "ski jump" curve text file so I can load it up in DLCT to have something to play (Learn to use) with until my unit is installed in a couple weeks. Thanks.

The custom target text file I am currently using is attached below. Applying it will result in a curve that looks like this:

Attached Files
File Type: txt LR.txt (405 Bytes, 23 views)
AustinJerry is offline  
post #15299 of 16788 Old 05-20-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
I am working my way through this thread (on post 3500 right now), and I’ve decided to use the 2x4HD i recently acquired to optimize my 2 subs and later add Dirac to it (available for the 2x4HD as an add on) I have a full Atmos system, but since there’s no one box solution at this time, I think I’ll be able to get a good taste of what Dirac can do in this way. I have found it’s not a simple thing to wade into this (nor did i expect it to be), but I admire greatly those who have persevered and reaped the considerable benefits this technology can offer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #15300 of 16788 Old 05-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 242
hi guys, i m a new owner of the miniDSP DDRC-88BM and so far the difference it makes is outstanding, i have some questions plz if anyone can help me since i m a little new to all of this.

I did follow AustinJerry guides thoroughly and helped me a lot understanding the procedure.

my system is 5.1.4 with yamaha 2050 (i m using dirac to calibrate 5.1 and the atmos ceiling speakers are powered by the receiver) , i have 2 pro-amps (500w/channel) connected to my 6 speakers.

-Is there a reason the sub sounds so much different when i connect it straight to my AVR compared to when connected to miniDSP but without any calibration loaded. (it is hard to compare before and after due to this).

-my pro-amps has gain/volume knobs for every channel , is it ok to adjust those to align all speakers at -12db on the DIRAC speakers setup? (i m kind of lost how should i set those gains on my amps)

-How much better can the Bass Management improve bass if i m using only one sub, it already sounds good after calibration but if i can make it even better with it i wouldnt mind (i want to milk every penny from this lol :P)

thanks a lot and sorry if i sound like a noob although i m enjoying every second of learning new stuff about all this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
DDRC-88A , dirac live , minidsp , req

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off