**miniDSP DDRC-88A Official Thread**8-channel AI/AO Dirac Live in a box - Page 545 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3870Likes

post #16321 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You don’t mention whether you are achieving the same -12 level for the sub channel. Otherwise, I can’t tell whether you are doing anything wrong. I use a single 7-channel amp, and it has no output controls, so my calibration involves fewer moving parts. And when the calibration has finished, I balance the output levels for all channels to 75dB by measuring with the REW mic and adjusting the 88A level controls. Since I am following the gain management procedure described in my guide, the 88A per-channel outputs are actually negative values to offset the +10 trim settings in my AVR.
I just re-read your set up guide. I will give that a try and let you know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16322 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 12:46 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11003 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown2020 View Post
Yes, by following the procedure from MiniDSP, I was up and running with old software right away and never looked back. You will need to replace the miniDSP.DLL file with the one they gave you. Only difference I notice is the Dirac Logos and icons are not black. I don't understand why this is so hard either. It should be simple, but when it comes to electronics sometimes it's not so simple.
I think the problem is that @Doyanole doesn’t have the .DLL file that is required. I made the old DLCT file available for download, but did not have a copy of the .DLL. If you could make that file available for download, I think that would get him up and running.
post #16323 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I think the problem is that @Doyanole doesn’t have the .DLL file that is required. I made the old DLCT file available for download, but did not have a copy of the .DLL. If you could make that file available for download, I think that would get him up and running.

Sure, @Doyanole Software folder DL : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8e4dedm2m...8lvZYMVua?dl=1

This is the entire package and includes readme file instructions & both 32bit, 64 bit miniDSP.dll files.
AustinJerry and Doyanole like this.

Display: LG 65" OLED C7P + OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Processor: Marantz AV8802a & Dual DDRC-88a BM 7.4.4 ATMOS Setup
Speakers: L,R,SR,SL,SBR,SBL - B&W 685s2's + Center - B&W HTM61s2 + Front & Rear Heights - B&W 686s2's
Amps: (3) Marantz MA700's + (8) Marantz MA500's Subs: (4) SVS PC-2000's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16324 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 12:57 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Sure, @Doyanole Software folder DL : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8e4dedm2m...8lvZYMVua?dl=1

This is the entire package and includes readme file instructions & both 32bit, 64 bit miniDSP.dll files.
Nice, thanks. I downloaded it as well in case someone needs help in the future.
MBrown2020 likes this.
post #16325 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot @MBrown2020

just one question . you do not happen to have that for Mac ?
post #16326 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyanole View Post
Thanks a lot @MBrown2020

Sorry, I don't touch Apple products, so no.
compaddict likes this.

Display: LG 65" OLED C7P + OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Processor: Marantz AV8802a & Dual DDRC-88a BM 7.4.4 ATMOS Setup
Speakers: L,R,SR,SL,SBR,SBL - B&W 685s2's + Center - B&W HTM61s2 + Front & Rear Heights - B&W 686s2's
Amps: (3) Marantz MA700's + (8) Marantz MA500's Subs: (4) SVS PC-2000's
post #16327 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 02:03 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks a lot @MBrown2020

You are using a Mac? Strange that you did not reveal that earlier. It makes a lot of difference.
post #16328 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The "utility" program is the same thing as the DDRC-88-BM Tool. If your laptop is connected tom the 88A, and you can connect to it using the DDRC-88-BM Tool, then there is no reason why the DLCT should not be able to connect to the 88A as well. This has me confused. I don't recall any other user who has encountered as many issues as you have, and it makes no sense. The 88A is such a simple device.

Let's re-visit the sub check box issue once again. When you use the latest version of DLCT, connect to the second 88A (which has no sub, if I am correct), and un-check the sub checkbox, can you continue with the calibration? Specifically, can you properly set the level for the speaker connected to channel 3? If yes, and you proceed to outputting the calibration sweeps, is the sweep for channel 3 the same as the other sweeps? If the 88A still thinks channel 3 is a sub, the sweep sounds different for a sub, I believe. If all this seems to be OK, then why can't you successfully complete the calibration? What goes wrong?
Quote:
You are using a Mac? Strange that you did not reveal that earlier. It makes a lot of difference.

I did say it before. I use both , PC and Mac , and i also tried on both . However i did find the lib for the Mac to change it , it's in the readme of mbrown's link. I installed it now . I will try it 2morrow morning.
post #16329 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
I should state that I have never configured overhead speakers using this approach. I have a 7.1 Configuration, so everything I said in my original post is theory gained from previous discussions in this thread. HST, I would have expected the trims to be close to the same for all speakers, just like the delays. Not sure what would cause the differences you observed. Regardless, checking and adjusting trims using an SPL meter or REW mic post-calibration is not unusual.
Quote:
I also noticed this when I was trying to do what you are doing. I would reset the trims to 0 and trust that Dirac Live got the bed channels correct. Then use REW or SPL meter to verify the heights are inline with bed channels. I ran into a problem doing what you did. With my Marantz 8802a the difference between speaker distances could not be more than 20ft. I needed 30ft (because I have 4 subs on a 2x4HD, adding additional delay) between speakers on Dirac 88-a and the height speakers through AVR. I purchased another 88-a and now have 16 channels of Dirac Live (Problem solved )

Thank you both. I'll take a closer look at the levels from all the speakers with and without Dirac on using REW as soon as I get a chance. I was fortunate to have a little more latitude in that setting on the Denon I'm using. I think I'm at 27.3 feet when running through the 88A if I remember right.
post #16330 of 16629 Old 03-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
You don’t mention whether you are achieving the same -12 level for the sub channel. Otherwise, I can’t tell whether you are doing anything wrong. I use a single 7-channel amp, and it has no output controls, so my calibration involves fewer moving parts. And when the calibration has finished, I balance the output levels for all channels to 75dB by measuring with the REW mic and adjusting the 88A level controls. Since I am following the gain management procedure described in my guide, the 88A per-channel outputs are actually negative values to offset the +10 trim settings in my AVR.
I finished setting up my system going through each step of your guide. I also realized I had my new amps at the wrong sensitivity setting. Everything came out just as you described. Negative values on the output tab for all channels but the subs. I had to adjust the level on eac sub because I maxed out at +12. It sounds great.

Question about the crossover settings. At the beginning of your guide you talked about finding the crossover for all the speakers. For my set up it is 90 Hz. Does that value get put into the HPF and LPF filter settings?
post #16331 of 16629 Old 03-10-2019, 06:30 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Sobel View Post
I finished setting up my system going through each step of your guide. I also realized I had my new amps at the wrong sensitivity setting. Everything came out just as you described. Negative values on the output tab for all channels but the subs. I had to adjust the level on eac sub because I maxed out at +12. It sounds great.

Question about the crossover settings. At the beginning of your guide you talked about finding the crossover for all the speakers. For my set up it is 90 Hz. Does that value get put into the HPF and LPF filter settings?
I also maxed out at +12 for the sub channel, and had to adjust the levels externally, so we have had a similar experience. The crossover is set for each channel on the LFE Mgt tab. Use the same value for both the HPF and the LPF setting. Except to the LFE channel. In my setup, the AVR provides a 120Hz LPF for LFE, which cannot be defeated. It would be undesirable to have cascading LPF's, so both the LPF and the HPF for the LFE channel on the 88A are in bypass mode.
Jerry Sobel likes this.
post #16332 of 16629 Old 03-10-2019, 01:18 PM

You wouldn't believe what happened ......

IT WORKS !!!!!

it was indeed the DLL file , or for Mac the dylib file. Changed that , took the old version of DLCT , and baaaam , everything worked. The subwoofer ticker is gone , i can save and load back up , etc....

So i measured both of my Minidsp's as they should , and it sounds' kick ass now ...... really really sweet.....

in case your interested @AustinJerry , here are the REW Measurements of 2 of my curbes i made.

1. is like Dirac measured
2. is Dirac Measurement with a "Fun" DBA Peak and a linear curve on high frequency's (that is really dope)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qksgsdpp4e...INAL.mdat?dl=0

thanks to all that helped me solve this....
AustinJerry likes this.
post #16333 of 16629 Old 03-10-2019, 03:36 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
You wouldn't believe what happened ......

IT WORKS !!!!!

it was indeed the DLL file , or for Mac the dylib file. Changed that , took the old version of DLCT , and baaaam , everything worked. The subwoofer ticker is gone , i can save and load back up , etc....

So i measured both of my Minidsp's as they should , and it sounds' kick ass now ...... really really sweet.....

in case your interested @AustinJerry , here are the REW Measurements of 2 of my curbes i made.

1. is like Dirac measured
2. is Dirac Measurement with a "Fun" DBA Peak and a linear curve on high frequency's (that is really dope)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qksgsdpp4e...INAL.mdat?dl=0

thanks to all that helped me solve this....
Prost! It is finally behind you. You have demonstrated exceptional patience.
post #16334 of 16629 Old 03-15-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quick question about licensing again. I purchased a used 88a from a forum member. He purchased it from another forum member here. Neither member ever used the device or registered it. Both exclaimed that since it is not tied to an account I should be able to plug in and go. Issue that I have is #1 is that true and if so how do I get the software. Its not available on my mini-dsp account and I searched the internet trying to find it and can't. I sent an email to mini-dsp but it's the weekend and I probably won't hear back until sometime next week. Wanted to fool around with it this weekend if I could. Any thoughts?
post #16335 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 10:06 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMo40 View Post
Quick question about licensing again. I purchased a used 88a from a forum member. He purchased it from another forum member here. Neither member ever used the device or registered it. Both exclaimed that since it is not tied to an account I should be able to plug in and go. Issue that I have is #1 is that true and if so how do I get the software. Its not available on my mini-dsp account and I searched the internet trying to find it and can't. I sent an email to mini-dsp but it's the weekend and I probably won't hear back until sometime next week. Wanted to fool around with it this weekend if I could. Any thoughts?
I think you should include the serial number of the unit in your email - I think MiniDSP are only reading and responding to emails/forums once per week - or it feels like that, but their support for issues like this should be quicker.

Do you know if your units need FW updates? If so, you will be best served with dealing with MiniDSP. I think I still have the latest software and prepared to load in Dropbox - but currently running an older version and not next to my PC to check.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #16336 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
I think you should include the serial number of the unit in your email - I think MiniDSP are only reading and responding to emails/forums once per week - or it feels like that, but their support for issues like this should be quicker.

Do you know if your units need FW updates? If so, you will be best served with dealing with MiniDSP. I think I still have the latest software and prepared to load in Dropbox - but currently running an older version and not next to my PC to check.
Definitely understand. I sent the email to mini-dsp on Friday which was Saturday in Hong Kong. If you don't mind, could you send me a Direct Message with the Dropbox link. I will try it out and if it doesn't work then I will wait to hear back from them. Patience is not my strong suit. Especially after hearing about how awesome Dirac is.
post #16337 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 10:23 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Definitely understand. I sent the email to mini-dsp on Friday which was Saturday in Hong Kong. If you don't mind, could you send me a Direct Message with the Dropbox link. I will try it out and if it doesn't work then I will wait to hear back from them. Patience is not my strong suit. Especially after hearing about how awesome Dirac is.
This what you want?

I downloaded it from MiniDSP straight to Dropbox....not my version but should be useful to you. Let me know when you have it so I can delete.....

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #16338 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
This what you want?

I downloaded it from MiniDSP straight to Dropbox....not my version but should be useful to you. Let me know when you have it so I can delete.....
Thats it. Thanks a bunch.
post #16339 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thats it. Thanks a bunch.
I would be interested to hear whether you are able to install the software, run a Dirac Live calibration, and save the results to the 88A. Or whether you ran into an obstacle that requires additional support from MiniDSP. Your experiences may allow us to provide guidance to someone in a similar position in the future.
post #16340 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I would be interested to hear whether you are able to install the software, run a Dirac Live calibration, and save the results to the 88A. Or whether you ran into an obstacle that requires additional support from MiniDSP. Your experiences may allow us to provide guidance to someone in a similar position in the future.
I am in the process now. I downloaded the software. It allowed me to setup and install. I then set up my mic. Just troubleshooting why I keep getting clipping in my measurements even after I properly set my levels. But cant get past the clipping in my measurements. Any help would be great.
post #16341 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 02:35 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I am in the process now. I downloaded the software. It allowed me to setup and install. I then set up my mic. Just troubleshooting why I keep getting clipping in my measurements even after I properly set my levels. But cant get past the clipping in my measurements. Any help would be great.
You could take a look at the 88a calibration guide linked in my sig to make sure you are doing things correctly.
post #16342 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Just finished my first calibration. Everything loaded and working. I simply downloaded the software from @wl1 and it automatically connected to the 88a. Loaded the calibration to the profile and it works. I also have the Bass Management with the unit. However I have not had a chance to set that up. Will try in a few hours.

I will say that this 88a had 2 owners but neither of them actually hooked it up. So I am assuming that it never was registered to a user, hence no transfer is necessary. I am still wanting mini-dsp to connect this device to my account whenever they reply next week. I never had to login to anything. It just worked. I will keep everyone posted when I hear back from them.
post #16343 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 02:50 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Just finished my first calibration. Everything loaded and working. I simply downloaded the software from @wl1 and it automatically connected to the 88a. Loaded the calibration to the profile and it works. I also have the Bass Management with the unit. However I have not had a chance to set that up. Will try in a few hours.

I will say that this 88a had 2 owners but neither of them actually hooked it up. So I am assuming that it never was registered to a user, hence no transfer is necessary. I am still wanting mini-dsp to connect this device to my account whenever they reply next week. I never had to login to anything. It just worked. I will keep everyone posted when I hear back from them.
From the 88A User Guide section 3.2: "As of version 1.2.0 of Dirac Live Calibration Tool, license activation is done automatically when DLCT recognizes a valid Dirac Live license code in the hardware unit itself. No separate manual activation step is required."

As you say, you need to make sure your device is registered with MiniDSP. That way you will be able to download future software releases directly from your account.

Edit: What was the issue with clipping?
post #16344 of 16629 Old 03-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Edit: What was the issue with clipping?[/QUOTE]

Simple gain issues on my amps. Got it straightened out pretty quickly with some minor adjustments. Sounds amazing! Can't wait to keep tweaking. Thanks for all of the advice you have given on this device. Your information has been valuable.
AustinJerry likes this.
post #16345 of 16629 Old 03-19-2019, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am looking for some ideas on what happened. So my center channel sounds bad and I haven't found a fix for it. Recently to try and resolve this I have moved its location around and taken some REW sweeps on them in full range so that before I do the dirac calibration so I they don't have many obvious issues. I just tested some 5.1 content and the voices sounded like they were whispering and muddled. I had to raise the center channel gain 3db to get them to match up with the rest of the system. I have tested this same content on a friends system who has the exact same amp and speakers and 88a and AVR but his sounds great. Any ideas on what would cause my center to sound so low?
post #16346 of 16629 Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by 422415 View Post
I am looking for some ideas on what happened.
Any chance you played with the wiring and accidentally re-wired it out of phase with your fronts?
post #16347 of 16629 Old 03-19-2019, 06:21 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I am looking for some ideas on what happened. So my center channel sounds bad and I haven't found a fix for it. Recently to try and resolve this I have moved its location around and taken some REW sweeps on them in full range so that before I do the dirac calibration so I they don't have many obvious issues. I just tested some 5.1 content and the voices sounded like they were whispering and muddled. I had to raise the center channel gain 3db to get them to match up with the rest of the system. I have tested this same content on a friends system who has the exact same amp and speakers and 88a and AVR but his sounds great. Any ideas on what would cause my center to sound so low?
That is interesting. I have always said that one of the best results from a Dirac Live calibration is how good the center channel sounds. I listen to a lot of music using Dolby Surround, so my center channel gets a good workout. Have you measured the speaker levels using REW after the calibration has completed? While the levels may not be exactly 75dB, the levels across the front three speakers should be the same. And have you measured the three front speakers by themselves with REW after the calibration? If yes, can you share the measurement results? There must be an explanation.

And you can also use REW to confirm that all three front speakers have the same polarity.
post #16348 of 16629 Old 03-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
That is interesting. I have always said that one of the best results from a Dirac Live calibration is how good the center channel sounds. I listen to a lot of music using Dolby Surround, so my center channel gets a good workout. Have you measured the speaker levels using REW after the calibration has completed? While the levels may not be exactly 75dB, the levels across the front three speakers should be the same. And have you measured the three front speakers by themselves with REW after the calibration? If yes, can you share the measurement results? There must be an explanation.

And you can also use REW to confirm that all three front speakers have the same polarity.
I should have all of those. I will upload them when I get home. And yes the LCR are all perfectly level with each other.
post #16349 of 16629 Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Here is the Left, Right, Center, and L+R rew file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kZz...ew?usp=sharing

Here is the DLCT file just in case you wanted that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Fo...ew?usp=sharing

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks
post #16350 of 16629 Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Here is the Left, Right, Center, and L+R rew file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kZz...ew?usp=sharing

Here is the DLCT file just in case you wanted that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Fo...ew?usp=sharing

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks
Looking at the Dirac project and applying the Auto Targets, Dirac has no trouble flattening out your four channels. I don't see an issue with the Dirac calibration, although I am not seeing any custom target you may have applied.

The REW measurements show quite a big dip in the 250-300Hz range on both the center and the left channel. I am not sure the dips are bad enough to affect dialog intelligibility. Try switching the audio output to stereo and listen to dialog without the center channel. Does it sound different, or the same? In my system, it is actually hard to distinguish whether dialog is in Dolby Surround or 5.1 (coming from the center channel), or in Stereo (balanced between the left and right channels). This is how it should be, if the center channel is functioning properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
DDRC-88A , dirac live , minidsp , req

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page