**miniDSP DDRC-88A Official Thread**8-channel AI/AO Dirac Live in a box - Page 572 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3964Likes

post #17131 of 17173 Old 01-09-2020, 12:04 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2986 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargateOne View Post
Here an answer from devteam about an other product that throw a little light on the subject :

Dear all,
We were planning to release the newsletter to announce it, but you guys are fast..
Unfortunately the nanoAVR series is indeed End of Life after 7years of hard work. We had shortage of the IC (old v1.4) and also a very limited market for these products... The lack of Dolby/DTS decoding, the older gen of HDMI and maybe the lack of understanding of what we tried to do with this platform (too niche) just lead our management team to decide to focus on next generation.
We're indeed working on something a lot more powerful that will hopefully make everybody happy.. We won't say much more and no need to ask for us delivery date and more details.. We're extremely excited about this work ongoing for more than 6months, but it's still too early to talk more about it... We can only say, stay tuned!
DevTeam.
Be interesting to see what they have in the works. Hopefully an Atmos capable HDMI in processor with the advanced BM and crossover capabilities of the DDRC, with at least 12 and maybe 16 channels of D/A. I'd go for that.

I would note though that the reasons for them drawing a line under the Nano AVR don't apply to the DDRC88A/D. HDMI1.4 chip availability obviously isn't an issue for an analog or AES/ SPDIF product, and the NanoAVR was always problematic because folk expect a built in decode given it has HDMI in, which it couldn't do. So I'm not sure this statement means no Dirac 2 on DDRC88A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17132 of 17173 Old 01-09-2020, 12:33 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 424 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11737 Post(s)
Liked: 6966
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSpig View Post
Wrong thread.
Why is it the wrong thread? The “something more powerful” could clearly be alluding to a replacement for the 88A, and mentioning it here is clearly appropriate, IMO.
FargateOne likes this.
post #17133 of 17173 Old 01-09-2020, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Why is it the wrong thread? The “something more powerful” could clearly be alluding to a replacement for the 88A, and mentioning it here is clearly appropriate, IMO.
I meant I was in the wrong thread.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17134 of 17173 Old 01-09-2020, 12:48 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I meant I was in the wrong thread.
Been there before.
post #17135 of 17173 Old 01-09-2020, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
A 12 or 16ch replacement for the 88A would be great. I remember that the difficulties in implementing DL 2.0 is the costum profile (needed because the AVR does the +10db LFE boost). It is not available in DL2.0. They also stated that it will happen but it takes time.
post #17136 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 11:12 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Be interesting to see what they have in the works. Hopefully an Atmos capable HDMI in processor with the advanced BM and crossover capabilities of the DDRC, with at least 12 and maybe 16 channels of D/A. I'd go for that.

I would note though that the reasons for them drawing a line under the Nano AVR don't apply to the DDRC88A/D. HDMI1.4 chip availability obviously isn't an issue for an analog or AES/ SPDIF product, and the NanoAVR was always problematic because folk expect a built in decode given it has HDMI in, which it couldn't do. So I'm not sure this statement means no Dirac 2 on DDRC88A.
I also suspect seeing Dirac 2.0 on the 88A is not very likely, but given my experience with MiniDSP, I would certainly consider a new device when/if it is announced.

How do you feel about being considered "nichey" by Monolithguy? Burn!
post #17137 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I also suspect seeing Dirac 2.0 on the 88A is not very likely, but given my experience with MiniDSP, I would certainly consider a new device when/if it is announced.
But in the MiniDSP forum they have said that it's coming to the 88, so why do you doubt it? Then again, they also said that they will fix the channel 1 noise...
post #17138 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I would buy the new 88A with 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoJ View Post
But in the MiniDSP forum they have said that it's coming to the 88, so why do you doubt it? Then again, they also said that they will fix the channel 1 noise...
I have seen you guys posting about noise on channel one ie: LF. I have the same noise from all speakers which almost not audible. I have to put my ear to the HF driver to here any noise.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #17139 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 11:39 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Perhaps I have not read that specific post. If the 88a ends up being upgradeable, that would be good.
compaddict likes this.
post #17140 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 11:44 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I would buy the new 88A with 2.0.

I have seen you guys posting about noise on channel one ie: LF. I have the same noise from all speakers which almost not audible. I have to put my ear to the HF driver to here any noise.
Several users, including myself, reported hearing a hum on channel 1. The hum was significantly louder than the very low hiss that can be heard from all channels. I measured the hum to be a very narrow 1KHz tone. Swapping channel 1 and channel 3 moves the LFE signal to channel 1, rendering the 1KHz hum inaudible. At the time, this seemed like an acceptable work-around while MiniDSP researched, and potentially resolved, the root cause of the hum. Unfortunately, we have not heard back from MiniDSP since then. The work-around remains in place in my setup and is not a cause for concern.

I have not been able to eliminate the very low hiss coming from all channels, but since it is inaudible at distances further than 1ft, I don’t feel this is a big issue either.
post #17141 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Perhaps I have not read that specific post. If the 88a ends up being upgradeable, that would be good.
I think it has been posted here. But just in case: in this post a user of DDRC-88D (I think it's not so different from the A version) asks about Dirac 2: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-...s-managt#44287
And in the next message MiniDSP's dev team answers to him, so I would assume that the answer is about the DDRC-88's situation and not a general reply: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-...s-managt#44621
AustinJerry likes this.
post #17142 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 11:56 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I think it has been posted here. But just in case: in this post a user of DDRC-88D (I think it's not so different from the A version) asks about Dirac 2: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-...s-managt#44287
And in the next message MiniDSP's dev team answers to him, so I would assume that the answer is about the DDRC-88's situation and not a general reply: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-...s-managt#44621
“Unfortunately no timeline for the release of Dirac 2 for multichannel platform as it's a lot of work but it's ongoing and will happen.”

Multichannel platform could be taken to mean upgrading the existing platforms, or releasing an entirely new platform. Regardless, we don’t know for sure, but we are encouraged that they are working on it.
bobof likes this.
post #17143 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Several users, including myself, reported hearing a hum on channel 1. The hum was significantly louder than the very low hiss that can be heard from all channels. I measured the hum to be a very narrow 1KHz tone. Swapping channel 1 and channel 3 moves the LFE signal to channel 1, rendering the 1KHz hum inaudible. At the time, this seemed like an acceptable work-around while MiniDSP researched, and potentially resolved, the root cause of the hum. Unfortunately, we have not heard back from MiniDSP since then. The work-around remains in place in my setup and is not a cause for concern.

I have not been able to eliminate the very low hiss coming from all channels, but since it is inaudible at distances further than 1ft, I don’t feel this is a big issue either.
Thanks for the update! I guess I am lucky I don't have that hum in the left front channel.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #17144 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 01:18 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks for the update! I guess I am lucky I don't have that hum in the left front channel.
Yes, it is entirely possible that MiniDSP addressed the issue on newer units without providing those of us with older units any relief.
post #17145 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 01:51 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
I must say my overall experience of the DDRC88A is good, it is just a shame the analog isn't a little better / more consistent. As you say, perhaps it is remedied in future units, I'd hope it is. Upside; at least them not announcing it was fixed past unit x doesn't tank the value of my unit... :-p . I too would consider another bit of kit as they've clearly got some smart cookies working for them and they do seem to like "nichey"...
Quote:
How do you feel about being considered "nichey" by Monolithguy? Burn!
Hehehe, methinks they have a ninja product manager working for them who instantly recognised my feature for what it was, something that would have their engineering team living off beans and toast... :-p . Kudos really...
post #17146 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 01:53 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Lucky you. If you are every inside your unit and fancy taking some nice hires shots of the mainboard they'd be interesting to see.
post #17147 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 01:56 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Yes, it is entirely possible that MiniDSP addressed the issue on newer units without providing those of us with older units any relief.
If they did manage to it would be nice to know as I'd consider buying a new board for mine to resolve it; 8x8 kit is $375, board at a little bit of a discount wouldn't be a bad deal all round.
post #17148 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I know nothing in electronics, but DDRC-88 adds a A\D\A step in the chain isn't it? And nanoAvr-dl added something (filters) in the hdmi chain, right?
Maybe there is a way to do all (dirac eq nd bass management) with dolby decoder in the hdmi chain. Don't shoot if all this is heretique thoughts in electronics!

My system 5.1 :ROTEL RSX-1562 /Fronts: B & W 804 D2; surround : B&W 704 and center B&W HTM4d2 /sub SVS PC 2000 / TV Samsung UN55ES8000
/BD player Cambridge CXU/ set-top (cable box) rented from cable co. PEQ by nanoAvr-DL Dirac Live between CXU and receiver
Bis Audio cables and power bar from the wall to the receiver
My room:15'4" x 11' 6" x 7'6" tv near the center of the long side wall
post #17149 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question, for those of us in the unfortunate position of having our couch backed up to the wall. Has anybody had success getting a good result and if so how did/would you go about taking the measurements?
post #17150 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 04:59 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockluc View Post
Question, for those of us in the unfortunate position of having our couch backed up to the wall. Has anybody had success getting a good result and if so how did/would you go about taking the measurements?
Well, it is what it is. I would still take all 9 measurements. The first in the center of the couch, then four 6-12” lower measurements, two at each end of the couch, and two 18-24” in front of those two positions. Then the final four measurements should be 6-12” higher than the first measurement, at the same four spots as the lower measurements. I feel pretty confident that this will give you a reasonably good calibration. However, given that your couch is against the wall, there will always be emphasized bass because you are sitting in the peak of a room mode.
post #17151 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Well, it is what it is. I would still take all 9 measurements. The first in the center of the couch, then four 6-12” lower measurements, two at each end of the couch, and two 18-24” in front of those two positions. Then the final four measurements should be 6-12” higher than the first measurement, at the same four spots as the lower measurements. I feel pretty confident that this will give you a reasonably good calibration. However, given that your couch is against the wall, there will always be emphasized bass because you are sitting in the peak of a room mode.
Should the primary measurement be at ear level or higher than that to make sure the lower measurements are at the same height as the middle of the couch cushion?
post #17152 of 17173 Old 01-10-2020, 05:23 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockluc View Post
Should the primary measurement be at ear level or higher than that to make sure the lower measurements are at the same height as the middle of the couch cushion?
The mic tip should be exactly at ear level. If that places the mic too close to the seat back cushion, I would remove the cushions for the calibration. Once you remove the cushions, place an anti-reflective cover over the back of the couch (blanket or comforter). Reflections are not good for a calibration. Also, for each mic placement, make sure that the mic tip has an unobstructed line-of-sight to each of the speakers. This is very important as well.
compaddict likes this.
post #17153 of 17173 Old 01-12-2020, 11:47 AM

@AustinJerry

I finally traced the problem to gain structure. Called Harmon and got the amp inputs Vrms. Changing the dip switches to 4Vrms output fixed the problem. I am now able to run gain management without fault indicator on sub amp flashing and shutting down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88BM LFE Mgt.png
Views:	16
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2668730   Click image for larger version

Name:	88BM Outputs.png
Views:	16
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	2668732  

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #17154 of 17173 Old 01-12-2020, 12:57 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
@AustinJerry

I finally traced the problem to gain structure. Called Harmon and got the amp inputs Vrms. Changing the dip switches to 4Vrms output fixed the problem. I am now able to run gain management without fault indicator on sub amp flashing and shutting down.
If you say it is working properly, I’ll take your word for it. However, on the LFE Mgt tab, you are showing a -20 setting for all of the inputs. In my setup, as per the picture on page 30 of the 88BM guide, the LFE channel should be -10. Once again, something is different about our setups and I can’t fully understand what it is.
post #17155 of 17173 Old 01-12-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
If you say it is working properly, I’ll take your word for it. However, on the LFE Mgt tab, you are showing a -20 setting for all of the inputs. In my setup, as per the picture on page 30 of the 88BM guide, the LFE channel should be -10. Once again, something is different about our setups and I can’t fully understand what it is.
You might want to check my screen shot again. The LFE channel number three is -10 while all other speakers are -20. In the output tab the LFE channel is about 10Db higher than the other speakers.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #17156 of 17173 Old 01-12-2020, 03:30 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
You might want to check my screen shot again. The LFE channel number three is -10 while all other speakers are -20. In the output tab the LFE channel is about 10Db higher than the other speakers.
Sorry, my mistake. Remember, I am using channel 1 as the LFE channel, and I saw -20 on your channel 1 and was mistaken.
post #17157 of 17173 Old 01-12-2020, 03:50 PM

[quote=AustinJerry;59089438]
Quote:
Sorry, my mistake. Remember, I am using channel 1 as the LFE channel, and I saw -20 on your channel 1 and was mistaken.
No worries you have been instrumental in my progress. I am just glad I was able to get it right.

-----------------------
My Listening Room

Last edited by CptSpig; 01-12-2020 at 04:03 PM.
post #17158 of 17173 Old 01-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The DDRC-88D is a fairly new product, specifically designed for the studio market. It wouldn't make much sense for them to not implement Dirac 2.0 in the current multichannel platforms.

Help put an end to the reach-around mentality and bring the "Science" back to AVS.
post #17159 of 17173 Old 01-14-2020, 03:14 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLansing View Post
The DDRC-88D is a fairly new product, specifically designed for the studio market. It wouldn't make much sense for them to not implement Dirac 2.0 in the current multichannel platforms.
Sorry, I seem to have lost the train of thought. What does the 88D have to do with the discussions we have been having here?
post #17160 of 17173 Old 01-16-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Lucky you. If you are every inside your unit and fancy taking some nice hires shots of the mainboard they'd be interesting to see.
I tried to get a picture but my miniDSP is in a rack. Could not get the cover off without taking it out of the rack.
bobof likes this.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
DDRC-88A , dirac live , minidsp , req

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page