The "Official" Yamaha Aventage RX-A740 & RX-A840 Owners thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 171 Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Warning: When I updated my firmware to 1.50, it did change the IP Address on my receiver.

I often use the Web Control Center while on my laptop and just putting in the new IP into my browser it would not connect like when it was new.

My resolve for this (on the WIN7 laptop IE11) was go to.... Start/Network/Media devices/right click on RX-A740, uninstall.
Then right click on the RX-A740/ reinstall. After I reinstalled I right clicked and hit View Device Webpage. Then it launched the Web Control Center and I re-book marked in desired folder.

Hope this helps anyone who might have the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 171 Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
communication problems aquos and rx-a840

rx-a840 and sharp aquos lc-52le810un aren't communicating

Just upgraded to the 840 from my 600 series yamaha, but my aquos won't recognize the yamaha. 2 hdmi out puts on the yamaha, so plugged my samsung monitor into one port. It works with the unit.
Any suggestions on how to get these units working together?
I looked for updates on the aquos software, nothing.
post #33 of 171 Old 03-03-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4naan View Post
I'm thinking about getting one of these two models, hopefully the 840.
is anyone able to confirm/tell me about the on screen volume display?

I'd prefer a small volume icon in the corner, and wondering if this has that, or a full wide screen volume display.
thanks!
It displays a volume bar across the bottom of the screen in black. Only on zone one too. Zone two shows nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 171 Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about your receiver:

1. Does it appear as an airplay destination when it is in standby mode? Or can it be configured to do so?

2. If yes on previous question: Can I start “air playing” or “bluetoothing" to it when in standby and it will automatically wake up and switch to airplay source, without me having to do it manually?

3. Can you make it autostart and switch source when receiving signal from another source, like digital in or HDMI?

4. Can you show video (PS3) from 1 HDMI port and at the same time play audio(Not zone 2) from airplay/bluetooth/optical in?

5. Can you set up preset “scenes”, that you can switch to in the app, where specific video and audio sources are selected?

6. If you have paired the receiver with my laptop over bluetooth. Can I make it auto connect via bluetooth and wake up and play the computers audio as soon as I turn my laptop on without having to turn the receiver on separately?

7. Can you turn it on from standby in the app?

If you know the answer to any of these questions I'd be very grateful for an answer! Thanks!

Last edited by emattias; 03-18-2015 at 12:32 PM.
post #35 of 171 Old 03-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emattias View Post
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about your receiver:

1. Does it appear as an airplay destination when it is in standby mode? Or can it be configured to do so?

2. If yes on previous question: Can I start “air playing” or “bluetoothing" to it when in standby and it will automatically wake up and switch to airplay source, without me having to do it manually?

3. Can you make it autostart and switch source when receiving signal from another source, like digital in or HDMI?

4. Can you show video (PS3) from 1 HDMI port and at the same time play audio(Not zone 2) from airplay/bluetooth/optical in?

5. Can you set up preset “scenes”, that you can switch to in the app, where specific video and audio sources are selected?

6. If you have paired the receiver with my laptop over bluetooth. Can I make it auto connect via bluetooth and wake up and play the computers audio as soon as I turn my laptop on without having to turn the receiver on separately?

7. Can you turn it on from standby in the app?

If you know the answer to any of these questions I'd be very grateful for an answer! Thanks!
yes you can configure receiver to power up from smartphone app but you need to enable this in the web interface via
ip address/setup.
once this is done in setup you will see it as airplay destination as well.
Scenes can be configured as well vis setup from remote or the web setup screens. easier from the web setup.
post #36 of 171 Old 03-27-2015, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have the A740. I also just received my new Samsung 4K TV. I was told that if I want to use the APPS from the Samsung TV and have the sound go through the Yamaha that I would have to use ARC. There is a dedicated ARC HDMI slot on the TV but I have no idea where to connect it on the Yamaha (since I can't find a dedicated slot in the back) - any help would be appreciated.
post #37 of 171 Old 03-29-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcvdg View Post
I'd like to change the OSD menu image (the piano) on my RX-A840, is there a way to replace the default?
You can go to SETUP > FUNCTION > Display Set > Wallpaper you get four choices
post #38 of 171 Old 04-01-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Just an FYI...the 840 will not talk nice to a mits 7800 projector via HDMI and google fiber as a source. It will freeze it and the colors are screwed. Changed from an ADA which worked fine. Other sources are ok.
post #39 of 171 Old 04-03-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have an Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A840, and have noticed that when playing audio (via Airplay) in both zones at the same time, that the audio in zone 2 is delayed by a short amount of time (maybe 1/4 sec?) - it's just enough to sound TERRIBLE since the zones are in adjacent rooms, so I can hear them both at the same time... it kinda sounds like a horrible echo. Anyone know of a way to fix this? I don't understand why there would be a delay unless it has something to do with my surround sound config somehow carrying over to zone 2?
post #40 of 171 Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22587 Post(s)
Liked: 12293
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
I have the A740. I also just received my new Samsung 4K TV. I was told that if I want to use the APPS from the Samsung TV and have the sound go through the Yamaha that I would have to use ARC. There is a dedicated ARC HDMI slot on the TV but I have no idea where to connect it on the Yamaha (since I can't find a dedicated slot in the back) - any help would be appreciated.
HDMI(ARC) was released with HDMI 1.4 and is available on virtually every AVR released since 2010. When there is only a single HDMI output on the AVR (as is the case with the A740) that would be your only connection option as that is the only monitor output.
jbkalla likes this.
post #41 of 171 Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM

Hi,

I just got the A840, and it doesn't seem to get video (or audio) from my HTPC (my previous Pioneer VSX-1020 did... just yesterday - so no changes on the PC side of things). When I choose the HDMI input that the HTPC is connected to (HDMI 3, for the record), I just get Yamaha's 'guitar' picture on my TV. All other (HDMI) inputs from various sources (PVR, PS3, X360) seem to be working.

I have firmware 1.50.

I am making sure my PC isn't sleeping or on the screensaver before switching to inputs.

Any suggestions on what I should do/what I should fiddle with? Do I just mess around with the 'processing' and choose random resolutions? Something else?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
post #42 of 171 Old 04-05-2015, 12:16 PM

I just upgraded from the RX-V1700 to the RX-A740 and planned to connect the HDMI out to my Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 9350 Projector. This connection worked great on my RX-V1700, but I see no signal displayed on my screen with th A740. Is there a video difference between the two receivers or is there a special setting I need to set to get a signal from the receiver through HDMI?
post #43 of 171 Old 04-05-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtcmg View Post
I just upgraded from the RX-V1700 to the RX-A740 and planned to connect the HDMI out to my Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 9350 Projector. This connection worked great on my RX-V1700, but I see no signal displayed on my screen with th A740. Is there a video difference between the two receivers or is there a special setting I need to set to get a signal from the receiver through HDMI?
I carried my Samsung LED to the room with the receiver to check compatibility and of course it works just fine. The issue is either my snap av two cat HDMI extenders are not compatible or it is the projector. The receiver only indicated that they needed to be HDCP compliant and they are.
post #44 of 171 Old 04-10-2015, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastro2 View Post
Hi,
I have a weird problem with my Yamaha RX-A740. The Blu-Ray DVD player cuts out intermittently while in "menu" mode. This is annoying, since I have to make my menu selection before it disappears from the screen. Once I start playing a movie, it's fine. It's connected via HDMI into the recommended input. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Joe
I've got the same issue with Sony BDP-S470. Do you find a solution?
post #45 of 171 Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Web listening Port

Hi,
I 've got recently A840 and have a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to change the web listening port to some other than 80? I have some other device listening to port 80 that cannot change (PV Inverter).
2. What kind of cable should I use for Zone 2? The Zone 2 will be on next floor 3-3.5m vertically and about 4m horizontally away and
that will be operated from Unit (ie not external amplifier).

Thanks in advance
post #46 of 171 Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamoore View Post
It displays a volume bar across the bottom of the screen in black. Only on zone one too. Zone two shows nothing.
thank you! picked one up recently. hoping to have it set up in a few days
post #47 of 171 Old 04-26-2015, 02:47 PM

What is the best current sale price on the RX-A840?

Hello all,

Been checking closely on the Yamaha "A" series. I just found a new RX-A740 on sale for $399 at Fry's this weekend, but would really like to find the RX-A840 at maybe $499 (or less)? Anyone know of the RX-A840 on sale right now?

Thanks in advance!
post #48 of 171 Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Own a 740 and it's perfect for my meager needs. Anyway, I have the video card on my PC hooked up to the receiver on HDMI 3 and have it set as a third monitor on my normal PC setup with two monitors. Make it a breeze for some sharing of videos, etc. Anyway, the one item that's driving me nuts is if I turn on or off the TV, the video on the PC goes, blank a few times each time.

Is there a way to make it stop doing so? It drives us a bit crazy. I'll be playing a game and my GF will turn off the TV and suddenly I'm in the dark in the middle of something "critical" (as critical as a game can really be). Or she'll be doing some writing and, presto, she jumps when it suddenly starts this transition.

Seems really unnecessary. I can't imagine what the benefit of that could possibly be.
post #49 of 171 Old 05-10-2015, 08:01 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does Yamaha update their receivers every summer? I'm not in a big hurry to update, so can wait until July if the new receivers normally come out at that time.

I haven't had a Yamaha receiver in a long time, but have decided to switch back after buying recommended brands that I've hated. In the past five years, I've owned Onkyo (my favorite of the bunch), Sony (my least favorite, mostly because of the GUI and lack of "ease of use"), Marantz, and Denon. I remember my old Yamaha sounding great and lasting for years, and it sounds like the user interface is pretty good. I don't have enough speakers to need Atmos at this time, but will likely be buying a 4K TV in the next few months, so I need a receiver that can handle that. Plus, I'm kindof annoyed at the Denon I'm using now, and need a change!

After comparing the features of the 840 & 740, I believe I'll go with the 740. I don't really need what the 840 offers. I may also look at NAD, but I'm guessing the features and tech will lag the Japanese brands. I have a B&W in-wall system that probably wasn't installed correctly, so only sounds OK. Fortunately, I really like the sealed Velodyne sub, so that's one good thing about my system. I may add decent front speakers in the near future for maybe $2000 or so...

I don't know why I haven't joined this forum before! It seems great! Thank you for maintaining it!

John
Aurora, CO, USA

Last edited by jbkalla; 05-10-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: bought the membership
post #50 of 171 Old 05-11-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4naan View Post
thank you! picked one up recently. hoping to have it set up in a few days
just a note that I ended up getting a RX-v1077 and the volume bar looks like this.

i.imgur.com/BrJIJsR dot jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volume.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	711866  
post #51 of 171 Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Quoted: 22587 Post(s)
Liked: 12293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkalla View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does Yamaha update their receivers every summer? I'm not in a big hurry to update, so can wait until July if the new receivers normally come out at that time.
Yes. All major brands replace their models each year generally starting spring/early summer for the lower/mid level models. The new 2015 Yamaha models should be available soon as well.

AVScience has an "open-box" A840 available with full 3 year warranty. If anyone is interested, please call for more information and pricing.
post #52 of 171 Old 05-15-2015, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Question 1: I just got a RX-A740 and due to its height I can really only put it inside a closed door cabinet shelf in my entertainment unit. It has hole in the back for cables and plenty of space above and below. Am I going to fry it?

Question 2: Is this the right part for the calibration mic for this unit? I got it used so it didn't come with one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3A0VVACCK8FGK

Last edited by agerson; 05-15-2015 at 09:15 PM.
post #53 of 171 Old 05-15-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by agerson View Post
Question 1: I just got a RX-A740 and due to its height I can really only put it inside a closed door cabinet shelf in my entertainment unit. It has hole in the back for cables and plenty of space above and below. Am I going to fry it?

Question 2: Is this the right part for the calibration mic for this unit? I got it used so it didn't come with one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3A0VVACCK8FGK
All my avrs have sat in a cabinet with glass front, but theres a 3 inch gap at the back at the top and bottom for ventillation. Never cooked a avr yet! My last Onkyo 806 lated 7 yrs, you could cook a egg on it.
post #54 of 171 Old 05-16-2015, 02:20 PM

I picked up an open box RX-A740 yesterday at Best Buy for $399 which sounded like an outstanding price for the model which normally goes for $650. However, the truth is I only want 5.1 and don't need multi-zone, 4k, or many of the flashy internet features. Is it crazy to think about taking it back for something like the RX-V477 5.1 which only costs $250? For my needs would I really hear any difference?
post #55 of 171 Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlink69 View Post
Warning: When I updated my firmware to 1.50, it did change the IP Address on my receiver.
My firmware is on version 1.15. Works fine. The manual says something "Do not perform this procedure unless firmware update is necessary." Is there any good reason for me to do this? Is there any real risk?
post #56 of 171 Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking to pick up a 740, but have a question for anyone familiar with this model.

I intend to utilize the AirPlay feature, streaming music from my MacBook Pro. I have a 5.1 system and would like to add speakers to my patio using the Zone 2 speaker terminals.

The idea is to have the same music playing inside and outside. Will the above configuration work?

Thanks
post #57 of 171 Old 07-09-2015, 06:12 PM

I just got th 840 and it won't process 1080p from my Sony bdps6500... I can drop the rest to 1080i and it works but not acceptable. Any suggestions?
post #58 of 171 Old 07-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Is anybody else having streaming issues with the hardwired connection? I've baffled Yamaha.

I have my RX-A740 hooked up via brand new CAT6 cabling to a Gb Switch. I have several other devices hardwired on my home network including multiple Samsung TVs, TIVO, multiple XBoxes, etc...

Everything works great, until I try to stream anything (Pandora, Airplay) - it plays for half a song if I'm lucky, then stops. It then proceeds to kill my network. I have to power down the 740, unplug the network cable, and reset my router (an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station) in order to get up and running. I am running at well over 100Mbps, but once I start streaming, it does down to under 3Mbps and no matter what I do, if I don't follow the above process I can barely get on my network.

I have updated the firmware and just did it manually via USB to no avail. I have hard set IP info outside of my DHCP range, again to no avail.

On a whim, I connected with the wireless setup and it works perfectly, streaming and everything. I would prefer hardwired since the wireless can take away from my overall wireless bandwidth, but the problems only seem to arise with the network card.

Anybody else have any problems like this? I am requesting an RA through Yamaha since the only other thing I can do is rule out the network card as being defective.
post #59 of 171 Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
^Try changing the network name p.104.
post #60 of 171 Old 07-31-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
^Try changing the network name p.104.
Unfortunately, didn't help. The default name is YAMAHA RX-A740. I tried changing it to just YAMAHA and exact same issue persists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
aventage , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page