The "Official" Yamaha Aventage RX-A740 & RX-A840 Owners thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #61 of 171 Old 08-04-2015, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
need help!
i would buy RX-A850 but i have some trouble about depth without Antenna.

I have only 37cm (14.56 in) in my library. The RX-A850 is 38,2 cm (15.03 in).

Anyone knows, the distance between "foot - front" of AVR and the AVR Front of RX-A840?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 171 Old 08-04-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj01 View Post
Unfortunately, didn't help. The default name is YAMAHA RX-A740. I tried changing it to just YAMAHA and exact same issue persists.
How does it "kill the network?" Symptoms, troubleshooting steps....

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #63 of 171 Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
How does it "kill the network?" Symptoms, troubleshooting steps....
Symptoms:

1. Hardwired. Brand new CAT6 wiring to patch panel in house. Unable to stream audio from any source (Airplay, Pandora, etc...) for any length of time. If I do a speed test from a computer, a previous download speed of nearly 100Mbps is reduced to under 3Mbps. Hardwired virtually unusable.

2. Wireless. Able to connect without issue wirelessly. I can stream without a problem from any source with no breaks in sound. However, it also kills network performance by dropping my 100+ Mbps connection down to under 15-20 Mbps with lag (i.e. I cannot use Skype without audio issues if unit is streaming). Even after powered down, same issue with network. If I disconnect the wireless (by switching network to Hardwired but not actually plugging the receiver in) my network performance shoots back up again.

Troubleshooting:

1. Tested CAT6 with a cable tester - no issues with cable.

2. Changed all other network devices to static IP including Receiver and ensured no issue with IP overlap. Exact same problems.

3. Removed other devices from network (with exception of Macbook for testing) - same issues with hardwired and wireless.

4. Removed network switch and plugged unit directly into router on open port. Same issues persist.

5. Manually updated firmware per instructions. Same issues persist.

I have not gone so far as to install a packet sniffer on my network to find out what kind of traffic the Yamaha is producing that is killing performance. If I simply plug it in, the unit is fine. It doesn't become an issue until I stream music from any source for the first time.

Yamaha was not much help, though they did offer to replace the unit (my next step) and pay for return shipping of the one I have since it is only 2 months old. I will most likely go that route to rule out a problem on the network interface, but I'm a bit baffled since I have network problems when the unit is running on EITHER interface. Perhaps other have problems as well, but I really notice any change in Internet performance as I work from home and am on Skype quite a bit, so when audio quality drops to the point I can't have a conversation, and all I need to do is unplug the Yamaha, I've ruled out the culprit.

However I'm certainly open to any other suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 171 Old 08-07-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "Official" Yamaha Aventage RX-A740 & RX-A840 Owners thread

Hmm! Very puzzling situation... Changing to static IP or UNC names shouldn't make a difference.

Does your router offer whatchamacallit, MIMO prioritization of traffic?

Cn your router show you real time b andwidth use, like ddWRT does?

What 802.11 protocol is the Yamaha using on wifi? I seem to recall that a device running an older protocol will slow down the entire wifi network speed.... But it shouldn't be that drastic, I.e. 100 to 3....

Can you host a hotspot on your phone? Maybe host a hotspot, just the Yamaha joining, then stream and measure your bandwidth use after 10 mins.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 08-08-2015 at 08:16 AM.
post #65 of 171 Old 08-09-2015, 07:04 AM

Hello,

Sorry a bit of n00b here... and had a question.

I recently purchased the 740 and its all hookedup and working. I am getting a new karaoke device and it has HDMI out for both video/audio. I would like to know if there is a way to view the video via HDMI out to TV while using the 740 for the audio

TIA!
post #66 of 171 Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlim0930 View Post
Hello,

Sorry a bit of n00b here... and had a question.

I recently purchased the 740 and its all hookedup and working. I am getting a new karaoke device and it has HDMI out for both video/audio. I would like to know if there is a way to view the video via HDMI out to TV while using the 740 for the audio

TIA!
Look into the manual. You should be able to turn off HDMI audio to the TV, so that only the video is sent to the TV, while the AVR plays the audio. (Hint. Check the HDMI configuration section. Starts on p. 101.)

post #67 of 171 Old 08-15-2015, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello fellow owners

Just got my 840 today...
It does sound clearer and more detailed than my Denon X2000

I have 2 initial concerns though... unable to access many settings without hooking the TV through HDMI. I do prefer to hook the TV straight from the cable box and just allow the AVR to deal with the audio. Thus noticing the lack of settings available when using the units front display. Having a short cut to dim the display is important to me as I sleep with the AVR facing me ! Or am i missing something ?

The second concern is the frequent static shocks I get from the unit... just very mild so far but very annoying and causes concern about the static build up within the unit. Anyone else getting shocked ?
post #68 of 171 Old 08-16-2015, 12:25 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4sty View Post
need help!
i would buy RX-A850 but i have some trouble about depth without Antenna.

I have only 37cm (14.56 in) in my library. The RX-A850 is 38,2 cm (15.03 in).

Anyone knows, the distance between "foot - front" of AVR and the AVR Front of RX-A840?
Hello, if you still need an answer... from the front of the central "foot pad" it's 4.3cm to the edge of front panel.
post #69 of 171 Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 PM

HDMI Message on Screen

Good afternoon. I am receiving the messages below on my TV. I believe these are related to the Yamaha RX-A740. It only occurs on the Pace DVR (IPH8010) that is connected directly to the receiver. This message does not occur on any other TV when I use this box (or another box on this TV not connected to receiver) so it has to have something going on w/ the Receiver. The message keeps popping up and I cannot figure out why or how to fix it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender2.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	907498   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	907506  
post #70 of 171 Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnonempt View Post
Good afternoon. I am receiving the messages below on my TV. I believe these are related to the Yamaha RX-A740. It only occurs on the Pace DVR (IPH8010) that is connected directly to the receiver. This message does not occur on any other TV when I use this box (or another box on this TV not connected to receiver) so it has to have something going on w/ the Receiver. The message keeps popping up and I cannot figure out why or how to fix it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Check if the AVR us autodetecting the TV... Check if video processing is ON, switch to THROUGH for comparison. Finally, if this is like my 775, see if the info mode (AVR) lists the compatible video modes.

post #71 of 171 Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Is anyone using their receiver with 2015 Sony TV? I've got a RX-A840 and I recently picked up a Sony X930C and I've been having a lot of issues which I believe are being caused by the TV. Before I picked up the X930C I had a Panasonic VT30 plasma and I didn't have any issues.
post #72 of 171 Old 09-20-2015, 03:03 PM

RX-A740 not playing DBD/BD

My Yamaha will not play sound or video.
Cable box works fine.
I have tried all the inputs. Including the input I used for the cable box. new cables, I have even used a new second DVD/BD player.
If I go direct to the TV - no problem both players work.
Any Ideas? - Calling Yamaha tomorrow.
post #73 of 171 Old 09-26-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castevens View Post
My Yamaha will not play sound or video.
Cable box works fine.
I have tried all the inputs. Including the input I used for the cable box. new cables, I have even used a new second DVD/BD player.
If I go direct to the TV - no problem both players work.
Any Ideas? - Calling Yamaha tomorrow.
Indications? On-screen or display indications?

Is there a signal detected by the AVR?

Is the AVR reset to factory default settings?

post #74 of 171 Old 10-06-2015, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pb with DSP effects on rxa840 while computer is the source

Hi guys,

I have a pb. My material= Yamaha rxa840 + focal aria 926 7.1 system.
I have a computer dedicated to store all my medias.
Connections are = PC to Rxa840 via HDMI
I have noticed that if I setup Digital signal output (HDMI) to 24 bits, AV receiver stop allowing me to access to DSP (sound effects) and remain stuck to STRAIGHT mode without any possibility to modify it. If I setup it to 16Bits, then, DSP is bak to normal.

Question: I have 24bits encoded audio flac files. If I want to be able to use DSP effects on Yamaha rxa840, I setupt HDMI output to 16bits BUT:
- Does this mean that 24Bits encoded flac files will be send as 16bits files to AV receiver and consequently be played by yamaha as 16bits files instead of 24bits?
- or Does this mean that file is sent to AV receiver as 16bits and then decoded (?) by AV receiver and upscalled to 24bits?

How should I do to be sure that my computer is sending the exact same Audio format to AV receiver and to be able to keep DSP effects able ?

Thanks so much for your help!
post #75 of 171 Old 10-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Standby Through Mode

1st post so I hope I'm using this thread appropriately. I just bought the RX-A840 as it was the "deal of the day" yesterday on Amazon selling at $499.99. I had been looking at the 850 but I think this will do for my needs.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the "Standby Through" mode on page 106 of the owners manual. I would like to have the ability to watch TV using just the TV speakers. For news and late night viewing the TV speakers are perfectly fine. It appears if this feature is enabled I would be able to have the Time Warner box run through the receiver to the TV allowing the TV to work without the AVR speakers.

Do I understand this feature correctly?

My current system is so old that I've got the video from the cable box and blue ray player going to the TV with HDMI and the audio going to the receiver via digital optical and coaxial cables. This set up allows the TV to run with out the receiver powering the speakers which is what we want at times.
post #76 of 171 Old 10-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't found a thread for the A750, so I'll ask this here. Is there a mode for low-level listening, like a "night mode" or something roughly equivalent? The H/K that I replaced had such a mode.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.

Last edited by milaz001; 10-19-2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Spelling error
post #77 of 171 Old 10-31-2015, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It seems some people have had issues with these receivers when using them with projectors. Has anyone been able to or had problems with using this receiver with a Benq1070 projector?
post #78 of 171 Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by milaz001 View Post
I haven't found a thread for the A750, so I'll ask this here. Is there a mode for low-level listening, like a "night mode" or something roughly equivalent? The H/K that I replaced had such a mode.
Adaptive drc. Press the option button. Look for tone control.
post #79 of 171 Old 11-01-2015, 07:01 AM

Regarding the A-740, I have zone 2 controlling 8 Polk MC80 in-ceiling speakers throughout my house with each pair having an independent volume control on the wall. The Zone 2 speakers are there simply to provide music throughout the house.

Zone 1 powers a Bose AM-10 home theater system. I can play Zone 1 volume at any level, however, when I play Zone 2 volume higher than about +10 with Zone 1 on as well, the unit shuts down and I get the "Check SP wires" message for Zone 2. After I restart the unit and lower the Zone 2 volume to about +6 all seems to be well. Does Zone 2 have an AVR volume restriction range if Zone 1 is also on? If I'm playing music on Zone 1 which is in my living room, what is the recommended volume setting for Zone 2 if I also want to enjoy music at a louder level throughout the house at the same time?

Scott
post #80 of 171 Old 11-01-2015, 07:01 AM

YAMAHA A-740 Zone 2 Volume Settings

Regarding the A-740, I have zone 2 controlling 8 Polk MC80 in-ceiling speakers throughout my house with each pair having an independent volume control on the wall. The Zone 2 speakers are there simply to provide music throughout the house.

Zone 1 powers a Bose AM-10 home theater system. I can play Zone 1 volume at any level, however, when I play Zone 2 volume higher than about +10 with Zone 1 on as well, the unit shuts down and I get the "Check SP wires" message for Zone 2. After I restart the unit and lower the Zone 2 volume to about +6 all seems to be well. Does Zone 2 have an AVR volume restriction range if Zone 1 is also on? If I'm playing music on Zone 1 which is in my living room, what is the recommended volume setting for Zone 2 if I also want to enjoy music at a louder level throughout the house at the same time?

Scott
post #81 of 171 Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What is the best way to listen to blu-ray movies with rx-840? If im reading the manual correctly i should set the system to straight or surround decode when playing multichannel signals like dts ma 7.1. What if I have an older blu ray disc that has 5.1 pcm signal as the only lossless track? How do i get sound to my rear speakers but not comprimise the audio. Also it should be said that I have my sony blue ray set to bitstream so my yamaha does the work not the player.
post #82 of 171 Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Turn off internal AMP and no PreOut?

Bought a RX-A840BL and am using the Pre Outs only. No speakers directly hooked up to the RX-A840BL. So I went into the RX-A840BL setup menu: HDMI / AUDIO OUTPUT / AMP (ON or OFF) set it to OFF and have no sound out of the Pre Outs. Is this the way it's suppose to work? I thought I could turn off the receivers internal amp and still have sound out of the receivers Pre Outs. Read the manual and did some online searching but could not find the answer. Is this the way it's suppose to work? I don't understand the logic of this.
post #83 of 171 Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^HDMI/AUDIO OUTPUT/AMP and/or HDMI 1&2 is a global switch to route the
audio to stereo speakers or tv speakers. Very few receivers have a full amp off switch.
post #84 of 171 Old 11-09-2015, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
^HDMI/AUDIO OUTPUT/AMP and/or HDMI 1&2 is a global switch to route the
audio to stereo speakers or tv speakers. Very few receivers have a full amp off switch.
Ok, thanks.
post #85 of 171 Old 11-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, started setting up this receiver for a friend. Is there a way to have the DD or DTS logos show up on the front display on the receiver? Currently he's running a PS3 as his BD player. We tried a DD True HD disc and nothing on the front of the receiver to show that I'm actually getting True HD?? Same thing when I connected a media player to it and played a few animated movies with a plain old DD 5.1 audio track. Nothing of the front panel to tell me what mode any tips?

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #86 of 171 Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Hi guys, im a newbie as well. I bought and installed RX-A750. Already connected the tv to HDMI output and Optic cable from TV to the receiver (HDMI ARC). This is OK.

But i still need to connect the PS4 and the Direct TV cable guide. I dont know how the system works but since i bought the system for the 4k upscaling and quality, and already bought the 4K HDMI cables i would like to use the Yamaha in good way. How do i need to connect them?
Of course im thinking in the rest of HDMI 2.2 ports, but, to change sources should i change in TV for video and Audio with the receiver or will i operate everything from the receiver controller?

So far i have connected the cable guide to the TV port directly and the PS4 to the tv directly. Listening everything through Optic cable, which is fine to me, but i think im doing all these wrong and everything should be connected to the Yamaha receiver.

Any advices will help, sorry for my english. Thanks in advance!
post #87 of 171 Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Connect all video sources to yamaha with high speed hdmi cable. The port doesn't
matter until a true 4k source arrives. The audio passed through the tv is not as good
as audio directly into stereo so avoid connecting sources to tv. For audio from tv to
stereo use either arc through existing hdmi connection or the toslink audio cable.
Tv can now be left on a single input and do all video switching with the yamaha.
Let the tv do all the upscaling. Upconversion if needed is a worthy function.
post #88 of 171 Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
^ Connect all video sources to yamaha with high speed hdmi cable. The port doesn't
matter until a true 4k source arrives. The audio passed through the tv is not as good
as audio directly into stereo so avoid connecting sources to tv. For audio from tv to
stereo use either arc through existing hdmi connection or the toslink audio cable.
Tv can now be left on a single input and do all video switching with the yamaha.
Let the tv do all the upscaling. Upconversion if needed is a worthy function.
Thanks man, actually this is what i yesterday tried and is way better, dont know why yet when using HDMI for PS4 the ARC will work but not listening just the TV guide. I will check some configs. Yes, im using 4K high speed cables, i saw on many places the compatibilities problem between TV's and Yamaha receivers.

Thanks again, im in love with my new Yamaha and Tannoy 4 combination so far.
post #89 of 171 Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As long as the playstation 3 and directv box are connected to the yamaha no arc is needed.
The receiver will by default play the audio and pass the video to the tv. Arc audio or toslink
audio is only needed for audio generated by tv apps. For most toslink is better than arc because
hdmi control can be turned off if you want. Arc requires hdmi control to be on, but ps4 and sat
don't use arc when connected to stereo only. All video passed through stereo should be fine.
post #90 of 171 Old 12-02-2015, 12:17 PM

Zone 2 trimming?

Just installed this AVR, and am pretty pleased. I do have one question though. I am using the line outputs for Zone 2, which are feeding into a power amp which then drives numerous pairs of speakers throughout the house. The power amp has a limited volume control, and as it is the lowest setting is pretty loud. Is there a way to attenuate the Zone 2 line outs on the A840?

Thanks,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
aventage , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page