The "Official" Yamaha Aventage RX-A740 & RX-A840 Owners thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #151 of 171 Old 11-25-2018, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by achaayans View Post
Hi,

I am hoping that someone here can help me with this question? I use an A840 to listen to music with pure direct mode enabled. I prefer the sound in pure direct over the 2 channel and other dsps. However, I find that everything is kind of pulled back in pure direct, meaning there is no clear separation of instruments over the vocals. I could hear various instruments playing if I listen in 2 channel mode, but when I switch to pure direct mode some of the instruments are barely audible. How can I fix this?

I listen to Spotify and youtube via Amazon fire tv connected to the AVR via HDMI.
The AVR is then connected to the Outlaw 12 subwoofer crossed over at 80Hz using speaker level connections. The signal goes from the Outlaw to a pair of ML motion 20 or Wharfedale 10.1 speakers. In pure direct mode there is no signal present in the sub out,hence, I have it routed through the sub.

I hope this is enough information. If anyone needs any clarification, please feel free to ask.

Thank you all for your valuable feedback.
As the manual may explain in very brief terms, Pure Direct bypasses much of the processing circuitry and treats the AVR like a DAC and amplifier, sending the audio content to the speaker terminals in as accurate a form as possible. When you exit Pure Direct, things like PEQ, YPAO adjustments, DSP choices, Surround decoding are all done on the audio content before sent to the speakers. Sounds like some adjustments and settings may tailor the sound more to your liking.
Bond 007 likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 11-26-2018, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
Quote:
I prefer the sound in pure direct over the 2 channel and other dsps. However, I could hear various instruments playing if I listen in 2 channel mode, but when I switch to pure direct mode some of the instruments are barely audible.
So..why do you prefer pure direct?
ChromeJob likes this.
post #153 of 171 Old 11-26-2018, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
So..why do you prefer pure direct?
TBH, I really don't know how to describe it other than saying that non pure direct sounds kind of muffled.

Non pure direct: playing your speakers inside a closet with its door closed and listening from the outside.

Pure direct: Opening the door to the above closet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 171 Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM

''Sounds like some adjustments and settings may tailor the sound more to your liking''

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.
post #155 of 171 Old 11-26-2018, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TBH, I really don't know how to describe it other than saying that non pure direct sounds kind of muffled.

Non pure direct: playing your speakers inside a closet with its door closed and listening from the outside.

Pure direct: Opening the door to the above closet
Quote:
''Sounds like some adjustments and settings may tailor the sound more to your liking''

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.
You probably have an overload of sound customizations that are changing the sound. Ensure you are not using any Cinema DSP modes (Movie, Standard, Action, Sci-Fi, Concert Hall, et al). You can actually duplicate most of the efficacy of Pure Direct with the following:

• Set YPAO PEQ to "Through" (not flat, manual, natural, front)
  • Turn bass and treble boosts off, or "Bypass"
  • Set YPAO volume (if your model has it) to bypass
  • Set Adaptive DRC to OFF
  • Set Adaptive DSP to OFF
  • Set Dialog Level/Height to 0
  • Set decoder mode to Straight
  • Set all speakers to Large (disables Bass Management)
  • On my model, Pure Direct bypasses even speaker levels; if the same on yours, set all speaker levels to 0 dB in manual configuration

Those are all the settings in Yamaha AVRs I can think of. NOW compare with Pure Direct ON and OFF. Should be almost the same.
achaayans and Bond 007 like this.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #156 of 171 Old 11-26-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
You probably have an overload of sound customizations that are changing the sound. Ensure you are not using any Cinema DSP modes (Movie, Standard, Action, Sci-Fi, Concert Hall, et al). You can actually duplicate most of the efficacy of Pure Direct with the following:

• Set YPAO PEQ to "Through" (not flat, manual, natural, front)
  • Turn bass and treble boosts off, or "Bypass"
  • Set YPAO volume (if your model has it) to bypass
  • Set Adaptive DRC to OFF
  • Set Adaptive DSP to OFF
  • Set Dialog Level/Height to 0
  • Set decoder mode to Straight
  • Set all speakers to Large (disables Bass Management)
  • On my model, Pure Direct bypasses even speaker levels; if the same on yours, set all speaker levels to 0 dB in manual configuration

Those are all the settings in Yamaha AVRs I can think of. NOW compare with Pure Direct ON and OFF. Should be almost the same.
Thank you for a detailed response. I will try these settings and report back.
Much appreciated.
post #157 of 171 Old 11-26-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Much appreciated.
And connect your speakers to AVR.
ChromeJob and achaayans like this.
post #158 of 171 Old 11-26-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Much appreciated.
And then once you've done that, if you like how the speakers sound, perhaps set levels with the test tone (or let YPAO do it automagically, leave "distance" settings alone (it really determines any effective delays)). then set main speakers and surrounds to "Small" where you have woofers < 8", and set the "Bass cross over" somewhere from the default of 80 Hz to as high as 120 Hz (depending on how small your speakers' biggest woofer is; use 120 for little bookshelf-style speakers). Set PEQ to "through" (or not used), and you're done. Use Straight or SUR DECODE for listening, leave Cinema DSP alone.

Crack open bottle of favorite adult beverage, and enjoy.

Remember to click the "LIKE" link on posts that help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
And connect your speakers to AVR.
Outside the closet.
achaayans and Bond 007 like this.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 11-26-2018 at 06:16 PM.
post #159 of 171 Old 11-29-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
And then once you've done that, if you like how the speakers sound, perhaps set levels with the test tone (or let YPAO do it automagically, leave "distance" settings alone (it really determines any effective delays)). then set main speakers and surrounds to "Small" where you have woofers < 8", and set the "Bass cross over" somewhere from the default of 80 Hz to as high as 120 Hz (depending on how small your speakers' biggest woofer is; use 120 for little bookshelf-style speakers). Set PEQ to "through" (or not used), and you're done. Use Straight or SUR DECODE for listening, leave Cinema DSP alone.

Crack open bottle of favorite adult beverage, and enjoy.

Remember to click the "LIKE" link on posts that help you.

Outside the closet.
Hi,

I followed your initial directions and the AVR now sounds closer to pure direct than it ever did. So, a big THANK YOU.

Hopefully I will be able to re-run the cables and run YPAO over the weekend and enjoy musical bliss .
ChromeJob likes this.
post #160 of 171 Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. ,) Remember to click ‘Like’ on all posts that help you out.
Bond 007 and achaayans like this.

post #161 of 171 Old 11-29-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I just "Liked" all your posts on this page.
achaayans and ChromeJob like this.

Licence to Kill
post #162 of 171 Old 11-30-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I thought I did that already. Anyway I will ''like'' this one too
post #163 of 171 Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond 007 View Post
i just "liked" all your posts on this page.
:d:d:d
post #164 of 171 Old 12-02-2018, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"I feel the love in the room."

Tapatalk is getting more and more buggy: duplicating posts, showing the wrong forum section. Wouldn't be surprised if it's not displaying "likes." Thanks much, and enjoy playing with the settings on your AVR. Yamahas are fun.
post #165 of 171 Old 12-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry Yamaha RX-A740 - Xfiniti Remote Control Code

I was able to get the Yamaha RX-A740 to turn off with the Xfiniti Remote but it won
't turn on.
post #166 of 171 Old 12-31-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was able to get the Yamaha RX-A740 to turn off with the Xfiniti Remote but it won
't turn on.
Sounds like an issue with the remote. Maybe give us more information?

Are you trying to do this via HDMI-CEC? Is the Xfiniti remote programmable?

post #167 of 171 Old 01-29-2019, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with my RX-A840 4K passthrough from my XBOX One X to my Samsung JS9000 SUHD TV. The receiver is set to 4k Mode 1 and I have the Samsung TV HDMI port UHD set to on. In the Xbox One main interface the info on the TV shows 4K but when I play a 4k Blu Ray the TV shows 1080p. When I plug the XBOX directly into the TV I get 4K displayed in the info.

I have tried:

- Set the receiver to 4K mode 2
- Turn off UHD on the Samsung TV
- Set the Xbox to 4:2:2.

The only thing I could think off that could possibly be it (and I don't know this for sure) is that the HDMI cable I have is potentially older such as 1.3 or 1.4 from the receiver to the TV and that the combination of a 7.1 stream and 4k causes the 1080p transmission but this seems to be more grasping at straws.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JKru
post #168 of 171 Old 04-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to MDCSD76GT
Yamaha RX-A740 having surround issues...

I have tried researching before creating a new thread. I apologize in advance if this has been addressed already.

I use my XBOX1X for gaming as well as YouTube Live TV. The past week my center channel hasn't been making sound. I know the connection is fine, as I can put it in 7 channel stereo and it works. When it is in "straight" mode it says its in sur decode, but no sound produced. It does it on Call of Duty 4 as well as YouTube TV. I know not all TV formats are in surround, but at least pro logic?
My XBOX audio settings are set at surround. My Yamaha has the settings as 3.1.

Any ideas to the problem? Thanks for any information given to shed light on the issue.
post #169 of 171 Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pro Logic isn’t a format, Dolby Surround was an encoded format carried on 2.0 which the Dolby PL (II)(x) decoder/upmixer would matrix to 5 or 6 channels.

If the content is 2.0 the SUR DECODE mode should create the center and surround channels. If the AVR is displaying “Straight,” the decoder isn’t active.

post #170 of 171 Old 08-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yamaha RX-A840 ARC... won't retain HDMI source

I finally am using HDMI ARC on my A840 hooked up to LG OLED C9 65". It's working OK most of the time, but regardless of how I have it setup, it's always reverting to "TV" input as the audio source instead of remaining on what's selected, i.e. HDMI 1 BluRay. It will stay there briefly, then switch to AV4 (TV). When I go to ARC setup there isn't an option for anything else returning audio over HDMI. Is this receiver just too old? I can reselect the proper input source and all is OK, but I'd rather have it know what to look at when the proper HDMI input is part of my remote script.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!

Eric Seaberg * San Diego
A.E.S. * S.P.A.R.S. * S.M.P.T.E.
post #171 of 171 Old 08-15-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCSD76GT View Post
I have tried researching before creating a new thread. I apologize in advance if this has been addressed already.

I use my XBOX1X for gaming as well as YouTube Live TV. The past week my center channel hasn't been making sound. I know the connection is fine, as I can put it in 7 channel stereo and it works. When it is in "straight" mode it says its in sur decode, but no sound produced. It does it on Call of Duty 4 as well as YouTube TV. I know not all TV formats are in surround, but at least pro logic?
My XBOX audio settings are set at surround. My Yamaha has the settings as 3.1.

Any ideas to the problem? Thanks for any information given to shed light on the issue.
Hey, I know this is real late, but hopefully it will help other users in the future. I've got an RX-A740 and an Xbox One S, but it should be the same.

If you're playing an older game that only advertises "Dolby Pro Logic II" support, or watching older media that had "Dolby Surround" audio that only ever got a consumer release in stereo, you need to (temporarily) change your Xbox or other device's output settings to stereo.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it's not. At least not entirely. This receiver and I'm guessing a bunch of others don't allow you to decode matrixed surround (Dolby Surround, PL, PLII, for the most part, Dolby Digital EX and DTS:ES in some cases, more on that later) if they're detecting 5.1 or 7.1 input. And rightfully so, why would you need to use a decoder designed to recover a matrixed surround mix from stereo audio on what is clearly already surround audio!

And that's the catch, your Xbox doesn't know any better, you set it to 5.1 or 7.1, it reports that to the software, and then you get surround! Except when the software always outputs stereo audio, then you don't. So whether it's an older or BC game that didn't shell out for a Dolby Digital license on a different console, or you're watching anything that isn't a Blu-Ray disc, you need to "trick" your AVR and source device. Use Stereo audio, then when you pick "SUR. DECODE" you'll be able to select "Dolby Pro Logic II Game"

The only other device I've encountered where that's a huge pain in the ass is the Wii U. It's got an HDMI port, it supports 5.1 LPCM output...and usually just outputs 2 channels worth of audio, with the center, surrounds, and LFE signals being silent. Lame. "7ch stereo" will still work in these cases, but if the game or media has a matrixed mix, then I want it damn it.

Regarding DD-EX and DTS:ES, they work but only in a bitstream/passthrough scenario. Depending on how they're being decoded, especially if whatever is doing it is always outputting 7.1 LPCM, like the Xbox, you might end up with 1-2 channels of silence. No easy way around that one other than using a different device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
aventage , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page