Rotel Displays New Pre/Pros and Amp at CES 2015 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #61 of 130 Old 01-27-2015, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post
Could you share pictures of the RC-1590 & RB-1590? Did they finally make the power button LED dimmable on either? Thanks!
I find it suprising they have not reduced the far too bright power button, Last years model amps the MK 2 1582 & 1552 have the same problem but Rotel include two dimming rings with each amp and this successfully reduces the absurd brightness. The two amps from Rotel especially the 1552 Mk 2 sound amazingly good and IMO are the best value for money amps on the market. However there is one problem the input sensitivity on the amps is almost twice that of other amps of the same power rating, the 1552 input sensitivity is 1.5 volts and should be .75 to I volt. Same applies to the absurd 2 volt input for 1582 Mk 2 should be around I.I volt. However I am using the Rotel 1552 Mk2 sounds excellent but if trying to put TV sound through the Hi-Fi system from using the pre-outs of a AVR into the Rotel you have to use almost maximum volume .

Last edited by Disbeliever; 01-27-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 130 Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Agreed, the screen is basically useless in the grand scheme of things ... I owned the previous rotel with a screen so I would know.

Tablet based control is reasonable with control4, crestron, etc drivers provided by the company. You often want to control the device from a different room than the device is in anyway.

Why the hdmi and usb port under the screen? this simply looks terrible to top it off.

Even IR remotes should no longer be shipped IMO. Save the money and build a better smartphone app and IP control interface instead.

Also why doesn't the consumer industry simply embrace all XLR or whatever... there is NO reason to have both types of connector and waste a ton of space on the back.

I will say that I actually did like the flavor of sound that the Rotel pre-amp provided with my then B&W Nautilus 802 speakers.
I would say drop the unnecessary XLR inputs
post #63 of 130 Old 01-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I wish the world of consumer electronics were that easy. Drop a feature that one person deems unnecessary, and your email inbox lights up with annoyed customers. All the same, I very much appreciate reading the thoughtful posts that I see on this forum. Thank you for the support, and keep them coming!

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbeliever View Post
I would say drop the unnecessary XLR inputs
abatsky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 130 Old 01-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Add 8 channel xlr inputs p
Patrick Butler likes this.
post #65 of 130 Old 01-27-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Not sure why anyone would drop the xlr over the rca's ... But ok ...

The xlr's balanced cables have the greatest versatility, especially for long cable runs for active speakers, etc. Many manufacturers don't bother putting xlr's because in "common" setups they dont offer a sound quality difference.

Rca offer zero additional benefits except space on the back. Pro connectors are used by pros for a reason. If you had to choose only one connector for an absolute standard, it should be xlr balanced between pre-amp and amp.
post #66 of 130 Old 01-27-2015, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9398 Post(s)
Liked: 16680
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Not sure why anyone would drop the xlr over the rca's ... But ok ...

The xlr's balanced cables have the greatest versatility, especially for long cable runs for active speakers, etc. Many manufacturers don't bother putting xlr's because in "common" setups they dont offer a sound quality difference.

Rca offer zero additional benefits except space on the back. Pro connectors are used by pros for a reason. If you had to choose only one connector for an absolute standard, it should be xlr balanced between pre-amp and amp.
Agreed. The balanced XLR input offers a potential benefit, and zero downside.
linger63 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #67 of 130 Old 01-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Liked: 12
zero downside ?

how about the added complexity and cost of well designed, true balanced circuitry ?

in a domestic environment i would gladly give up balanced inputs and built-in room correction.

i like this new rotel's feature set.

jamesk8752 likes this.
post #68 of 130 Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9398 Post(s)
Liked: 16680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyez View Post
zero downside ?

how about the added complexity and cost of well designed, true balanced circuitry ?

in a domestic environment i would gladly give up balanced inputs and built-in room correction.

i like this new rotel's feature set.

Please elaborate...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #69 of 130 Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

One can add balanced inputs without adding a balanced circuit design (and the additional expense.) Even without balanced circuit design, using balanced cables can reduce RFI issues (if you have them.)

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
post #70 of 130 Old 01-28-2015, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Keep it simple: Leave the XLR connectors alone, and distortion to the bare minimum.
post #71 of 130 Old 01-29-2015, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
the long awaited return of the screen!
that's great!
back when I had the 1098 and no tv, just a beamer, I programmed custom version of Gforce visualizer to show a spectrogram of the sound which was really cool
I always wished for the return of that screen, I hope it can display the digital inputs now, and has a visualizer!
post #72 of 130 Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
One can add balanced inputs without adding a balanced circuit design (and the additional expense.) Even without balanced circuit design, using balanced cables can reduce RFI issues (if you have them.)

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
Partik is there any other way to reduce RFI issues on an unbalanced connection, like using high quality cables which have some insulation. I am looking at Rotel 1582 with my Marantz 7009 and want to know how much not having XLR inputs will be a factor.

Last edited by Smoothmhz; 01-29-2015 at 05:10 PM.
post #73 of 130 Old 01-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Smoothmhz,

You'll know for sure that you have an RFI problem when you can hear radio stations coming through your system when they should not. Typically not an issue for most customers. RFI being introduced into your system via interconnects can be ameliorated by using cables with twisted pairs. Many better unbalanced interconnects feature this.

Regarding the RB-1582MKII, when I demonstrate it to our dealers during trainings, I use unbalanced cables. No problems.

Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothmhz View Post
Partik is there any other way to reduce RFI issues on an unbalanced connection, like using high quality cables which have some insulation. I am looking at Rotel 1582 with my Marantz 7009 and want to know how much not having XLR inputs will be a factor.
abatsky likes this.
post #74 of 130 Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Hi Smoothmhz,

You'll know for sure that you have an RFI problem when you can hear radio stations coming through your system when they should not. Typically not an issue for most customers. RFI being introduced into your system via interconnects can be ameliorated by using cables with twisted pairs. Many better unbalanced interconnects feature this.

Regarding the RB-1582MKII, when I demonstrate it to our dealers during trainings, I use unbalanced cables. No problems.

Regards,

Patrick
Thats good because every device in that system Samsung TV, Oppo, Marantz, PS3 has wifi connection not to mention Amazon fire stick and other wifi devices in the room. I wish I knew earlier what I know now, I would have gone with Balanced one so I don't have to think about it. But I guess this is my first HIFI system even so its a learning curve. The reason I am getting the Rotel is to get the CM10 to be at it best. Its pretty good already.
post #75 of 130 Old 01-31-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
* It's definately worth the price.

I've never heard what the high end (Bells and whistles) receivers sound like, but The Rotel seems to keep it simple for sound enthusiasts, and it works!.

I own a Nad T187 ~ Pure sound is what a simple receiver and amp deliver , without cramming the board with tons of - extra features. (Navigating through all the menus must be a headache just for 4K?)

Last edited by theatredaz; 01-31-2015 at 05:27 PM.
post #76 of 130 Old 02-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm really curious to know which AKM 32/768 DAC IC Rotel chose for the RC-1590? http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0054/

So many connections on this pre-amp!
post #77 of 130 Old 02-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

AK4495

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post
I'm really curious to know which AKM 32/768 DAC IC Rotel chose for the RC-1590? http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0054/

So many connections on this pre-amp!
post #78 of 130 Old 02-02-2015, 08:03 PM

In a world of HDMI Rotel simply ....
post #79 of 130 Old 02-02-2015, 08:53 PM

^^^^^^^^
How is that Rotel Preamp going to do dsd with no hdmi?...I don't know of any sacd player that sends dsd over anything but hdmi...if there is one I would love to know about it
post #80 of 130 Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 PM

Can't do using digital Optical and Coaxial. ...So, analog XLR or/and RCA analog stereo (PCM) inputs. ...And Stereo only, no hybrid multichannel SACD here.
* Few HDMI inputs would have been nice, in 2015. ...Is this a 2015 model?

EDIT:

- Yes, it is a 2015 model.
- The new AKM DAC (AK4495) supports PCM and DSD decoding.
- The rear PC-USB port supports DSD signals.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/01...plier-new.html

____

* Would an Oppo BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray player help?

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-02-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: EDIT
post #81 of 130 Old 02-02-2015, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Isnt the picture above just the 2 channel preamp?
post #82 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 02:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Please elaborate...
Quote:

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
yes and many manufacturers do, even ultra-high end like lyra connoisseur who added unbalanced xlr inputs to their last preamp so their customers could use their fancy xlr cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Keep it simple: Leave the XLR connectors alone, and distortion to the bare minimum.
agreed !
simple is best.
in a system with optimised grounding and simpler signal paths, balanced connections offer no sonic benefits and can even sound worse than single ended.

to do balanced properly you need excellent circuit design and high quality components.
this is hard enough for designers to achieve at the high end level, let alone in affordable equipment.

in domestic equipment the requirement for balanced inputs is usually driven by marketing not performance.
post #83 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Hi NorthSky,

If you are looking for HDMI support, then you should wait for the RSP-1582. Adding HDMI to the RC-1590 would push the retail price well above $1750, all for a feature that most consumers who buy an analog preamplifier (yes, it has a DAC also) simply don't need. DSD/SACD is lovely, but it's not exactly burning up the charts with sales.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Can't do using digital Optical and Coaxial. ...So, analog XLR or/and RCA analog stereo (PCM) inputs. ...And Stereo only, no hybrid multichannel SACD here.
* Few HDMI inputs would have been nice, in 2015. ...Is this a 2015 model?

EDIT:

- Yes, it is a 2015 model.
- The new AKM DAC (AK4495) supports PCM and DSD decoding.
- The rear PC-USB port supports DSD signals.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/01...plier-new.html

____

* Would an Oppo BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray player help?
post #84 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 05:42 AM

It didn't have to be an full hdmi just good enough to use for audio and be able to play dsd there are alot more 2ch sacd discs than multi channel
post #85 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 05:43 AM

And every bluray audio disc has 2 channel track
post #86 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Hi JimSatala777,

HDMI is basically a "twofer" kind of deal. You get HDMI audio and video together with the port processors and chipsets that are necessary for dealing with HDMI in the first place. HDMI for audio only would be far too niche for chip manufacturers, and the moment consumers see HDMI, they are going to assume full functionality (video and audio.)

Fortunately for folks with SACD discs, those players do a good job of converting over to analog which is where I expect the RC-1590 to do a superb job.

Cheers,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala777 View Post
It didn't have to be an full hdmi just good enough to use for audio and be able to play dsd there are alot more 2ch sacd discs than multi channel
post #87 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Hi JimSatala777,

HDMI is basically a "twofer" kind of deal. You get HDMI audio and video together with the port processors and chipsets that are necessary for dealing with HDMI in the first place. HDMI for audio only would be far too niche for chip manufacturers, and the moment consumers see HDMI, they are going to assume full functionality (video and audio.)

Fortunately for folks with SACD discs, those players do a good job of converting over to analog which is where I expect the RC-1590 to do a superb job.

Cheers,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
I would like you to check out psaudio directstream it has an is2 connection which uses a hdmi cable for audio only...I have seen it on other devices also...it's necessary to play any copy protected content like bluray(TrueHD/DTsHD)or sacd( dsd)
And pass the Bitstream to your awesome Dacs that that preamp has
post #88 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Hi JimSatala777,

Thanks for sharing. It appears that the psaudio directwave (I think you meant direct stream) is a pretty sophisticated (and expensive at $6000!) DAC, and I'd imagine that if you had one in your system, you'd rather use it for decoding your stereo, digital recordings than the RC-1590. While the direct stream does not process video over HDMI, an HDMI repeater (that's what you'd put in a receiver like device, such as the RC-1590) would be handling video.

Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
I would like you to check out psaudio directstream it has an is2 connection which uses a hdmi cable for audio only...I have seen it on other devices also...it's necessary to play any copy protected content like bluray(TrueHD/DTsHD)or sacd( dsd)
And pass the Bitstream to your awesome Dacs that that preamp has
post #89 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 AM

I guess what I'm getting at is how do you get dsd or bluray pure audio to the unit...I in no way am saying Rotel is the only company that has overlooked this sorta new format benefits....so I'm guessing that even though that Dacs in the preamp could decode the dsd or bluray pure audio there is no way to get the Bitstream there because of copy protection it can only be transferred by hdmi...or am I misinformed
post #90 of 130 Old 02-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

You are correct. If you want to use an external decoder for your SACD or Pure Audio discs, that decoder must support HDMI. The RSP-1582 will support HDMI and DSD, while the RC-1590 will not. The market for consumers who purchase Blu-Ray players and use them only in a stereo configuration is very, very small (even in this niche market!)

Cheers,

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
frontpage , Rotel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page