3D Ready Receiver with full Pre-Amp outputs (for lossless audio) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question 3D Ready Receiver with full Pre-Amp outputs (for lossless audio)

My family recently moved houses which required me to disassemble my old movie theater and I'm in the process of setting up a new one at the new house. For the new theater I'd like to add 3D capability and I have everything upgraded except for the receiver. Lossless audio is important to me so I'd like to make this possible.

The setup for playing a movie for audio was: PC->HDMI->Receiver->Pre-Amp Outputs->Sherbourn 7 ch amp->speakers

I've since upgraded the video card to make the PC 3D capable, upgraded to high-speed HDMI cables, and purchased a 3D ready projector but have not purchased a receiver yet.

I'm trying to find an inexpensive receiver that is 3D ready AND has a full set of pre-amp outputs for the Sherbourn amp but this has been a challenge. Over the past several years, full sets of pre-amp outputs seem to have been removed from most receivers.

Currently I can run a high speed HDMI cable from the PC to the Projector and an optical cable from the PC to the Receiver but this won't allow lossless audio.

Can someone provide any info on a receiver that is 3D ready and has a full set of pre-amp outputs? Something cheap would work fine because I only need it to pass the signal to the amplifier and the projector.

Am I missing any other options?

Thanks,

Half-knowledgeable but fully dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 748 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22755 Post(s)
Liked: 12404
Budget? 3D came along with HDMI 1.4 about 4 years ago, so you can likely find a 3-4 year old model that has pre-outs. However, unless trying to power low impedance speakers at loud volume levels, the external amp is not likely even required. What speakers are you driving?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-21-2015 at 10:43 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm currently powering Infinity Betas (Beta 50s Fr, C360 center, ES 250 dipole surrounds, and Beta bookshelf speakers for the rear surrounds) with a Sherbourn 7/2100a. I have two CSW-10 650W powered subs for the low end.

Other Components:
PC
Pioneer 1018ah-K 7.1 receiver

When I switched from powering the speakers from the Pio receiver to the Sherbourn amp the sound changed considerably (to my ears). It sounded much more full in the theater, especially when driving the speakers hard. The sensitivity on the Beta 50s is 91dB so they aren't particularly power hungry but I did feel like I noticed a big difference.

I'm certainly open to input as my options seem to be:
1) Lossless audio through the 1018ah-k receiver to the Sherbourn amp (no 3D movies for the kids = dealbreaker). Additional Cost $0
2) Lossy audio through the 1018ah-K (via optical out from the PC) and run the HDMI directly to the 3D projector. (3D capable but not lossless audio.) Additional Cost $0.
3) Purchase line level converters and hook them up to the 1018ah-K speaker outputs and run them to the Sherbourn amp (maybe not recommended?) Additional Cost: $50
4) Purchase a used 3D Ready receiver with full preamp outputs (like the Pio 1121-K). Additional cost ~$250 but difficult to find.
5) Purchase a new 3D Ready receiver with full preamp outputs (Pio SC-82, Marantz SR5008, Yamaha RX-A1040, etc). Additional Cost ~$750-$1300
6) Purchase a new preamp that is 3D capable and has full preamp outputs. Additional Cost ~$1500

To answer your question on budget, for me it really depends on the benefit. While it wouldn't break the bank to spend $1K on a new receiver, it is tough to fork over that much $ when I only need the unit to receive a 3D signal and output via preamps to a separate amp. If I can find a cheaper option I'd rather use the remainder of the $1K to update the PC.

I guess option 4) above would be my first choice but it is nearly impossible to search for used receivers that are 3D ready AND have full preamp outputs. I can live with option 2) for the time being but would like to upgrade.

Hope this helps. Opinions and suggestions encouraged.

-Brian

PS> Thanks for the link to the AVR-3312, it give me a whole new path to look down via the Denon line.

Last edited by spillz564; 01-23-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-23-2015, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
post #5 of 10 Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 395
What about something like the Outlaw Audio 975? It's 1/3 of what you stated for your No. 6.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@afrogt - Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them in more detail.

@ATR ur9 - I didn't know about the 975 previously, thanks. This would work well for my needs and a quick look shows that it seems to be rated well.

Thanks for the additional information. Time to do some comparisons.

-Brian

post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2294 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillz564 View Post
@afrogt - Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them in more detail.

@ATRur9 - I didn't know about the 975 previously, thanks. This would work well for my needs and a quick look shows that it seems to be rated well.

Thanks for the additional information. Time to do some comparisons.

-Brian

I would look at the Yamaha's as well

they seem to have the best reliability ( of the Asian manufacturers) right now
Their amp sections can be a little weak...but since you are using a separate amp anyway

The other thing you might do is troll your local Magnolia Home theater( inside certain Best Buy stores) for clearance units

They are blowing out some of last years denon, Yamaha and Pioneer elite models

I bought an Pioneer SC75 yesterday for $410.00.....I also saw a denon X4000 for $550

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Magnolia Home Theater is definitely a good way to get a nice capable receiver for cheap. Check their clearance models and open box.

Afro GT
post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

The other thing you might do is troll your local Magnolia Home theater( inside certain Best Buy stores) for clearance units

Warren
Good point on the open box and clearance units. There is a best buy very close to my work where I can check.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wanted to thank everyone here for their input and wanted to provide feedback. I ended up purchasing a used Pioneer VSX-1121-K that is 3D Ready and has full preamp outputs.

Down the road I'll need to upgrade for 4K and Dolby Atmos, but this should be a good stopgap fix for 3D videos for the kids and lossless audio for me.

Thanks for the suggestions and input!

-Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lossless audio , preamp , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page