Reviews of the Emotiva XMC-1 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #31 of 110 Old 02-14-2015, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is it commonly thought by those that have heard both that the XMC-1 is better sounding than say the Anthem 510?

I ask because both seem to have top notch room correction.

And with the price points being the same between the XMC-1 and the Anthem 710. Which is thought to be the better buy?

I'm running an XPA-5 amp now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 Old 02-14-2015, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 327
As for height channels, they just sounded fake to me, like those goofy DSP choices like Jazz Club or Super Stadium. I also greatly prefer Dirac to Audyssey becauit simply sounds better to us.
post #33 of 110 Old 02-14-2015, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehadjifromtaji View Post
Is it commonly thought by those that have heard both that the XMC-1 is better sounding than say the Anthem 510?

I ask because both seem to have top notch room correction.

And with the price points being the same between the XMC-1 and the Anthem 710. Which is thought to be the better buy?

I'm running an XPA-5 amp now.
I put the audio quality of the XMC-1 up there with the big boys like McIntosh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 110 Old 02-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
You had McIntosh?
post #35 of 110 Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Quote:
As for height channels, they just sounded fake to me, like those goofy DSP choices like Jazz Club or Super Stadium.
I also greatly prefer Dirac to Audyssey becauit simply sounds better to us.
Quote:
Did you watch 'Godzilla' on Blu-ray, and in 3D?
post #36 of 110 Old 02-15-2015, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
You had McIntosh?
Nope - I did a compare by listening in a high end audio store with source material I know well and compared. Just my opinion, and I know that people will disagree, which is A-OK.

But my wife and I are really, really happy with our choice.
post #37 of 110 Old 02-15-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Unless the comparison is blind, it doesn't mean much. Typically, whatever is slightly louder wins those comparisons. Unless the test is at equal volume levels and blind, it's really just a shot in the dark with too much objective bias to say something like that definitively.
MCaugusto likes this.
post #38 of 110 Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^
But it worked for me. Of course it wan't blind, and it wasn't under controlled conditions. But this is a hobby for me, not a job
pmd918 and Djoel like this.
post #39 of 110 Old 02-16-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 3543
Quote:
^^^
But it worked for me. Of course it wan't blind, and it wasn't under controlled conditions. But this is a hobby for me, not a job

It's kind of hard to say the McIntosh sounds like the XMC-1 or vice versa if you listened in different rooms and possibly different speakers. Not a very accurate comparison IMO. But if it worked for you that's all that counts .

Bill
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #40 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
Unless the comparison is blind, it doesn't mean much. Typically, whatever is slightly louder wins those comparisons. Unless the test is at equal volume levels and blind, it's really just a shot in the dark with too much objective bias to say something like that definitively.
Don't think I have ever heard anybody as smart as this guy. Love my xmc-1.
post #41 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy1 View Post
Don't think I have ever heard anybody as smart as this guy. Love my xmc-1.

You gotta love those who can always quote what they have read. Doesn't matter if they have actually done any comparisons. Love the pseudo scientists.
post #42 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Nope - I did a compare by listening in a high end audio store with source material I know well and compared. Just my opinion, and I know that people will disagree, which is A-OK.

But my wife and I are really, really happy with our choice.
Unless you do a double blind test you should not have an opinion. Sure sounds kooky but I see it a lot. You would think since EVERYTHING related to sound quality IS opinion it may count, but.......Its so old I shake my head when I see it repeated, day after week after month after year, decade,..,.
post #43 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Perception is subjective. I'm not a professional critic or reviewer.
post #44 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post
Unless you do a double blind test you should not have an opinion. Sure sounds kooky but I see it a lot. You would think since EVERYTHING related to sound quality IS opinion it may count, but.......Its so old I shake my head when I see it repeated, day after week after month after year, decade,..,.
This is your opinion, only!
post #45 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 212

Which part of this statement are you objecting to , the double blind test or the kooky part.
post #46 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
You probably get sick of hearing that 1+1 is 2 as well. Correct is correct. There's a reason why blind testing exists. There's a reason why placebos are given in medical testing.
post #47 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Take your db test and stick it where it belongs.... With u.
Opinions are welcome. If someone says that another product sucks only based on a quick listening session then their wrong as well. This hobby ( Yes its a hobby ) is about having fun.

Comparisons are fine and often fun to read. A grade 8 student should have the common sense to read through opinions, look at measurements if they want, and make an informed opinion.

Yes I've done db testing and its fun. It has its place but its not the end all be all. If I feel better with product A and its name then product b its irrelevant which product is better.
post #48 of 110 Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

zgeneral - this is a LOT less important than medicine. It's a fun hobby for 99.5% of us. If you're in that 0.5% where it's part of your professional life, you're right. But for the rest of us, it's like buying a car or rooting for a sports team - there's a good deal of quantitative analysis, but there's a lot of intuition and emotion involved too.
post #49 of 110 Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

Which part of this statement are you objecting to , the double blind test or the kooky part.
The double blind part ....why would I care what some test by anyone besides me say? I really only care what I think about sound, not anyone else in the whole wide world. I know some think thats kooky cause they do care about what others think. I never understood that but hey...I'm a rebel. Double blind is fine for science, my hearing and interaction with my brain are beyond double blind science. There is an unknown factor about perception, just as one may perceive things in everyday life.

My choices are not about science, I did not meet my wife by plugging in my info into a computer.There were things I perceived as desirable for no scientific reason.
post #50 of 110 Old 02-23-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy1 View Post
Quote:
The double blind part ....why would I care what some test by anyone besides me say? I really only care what I think about sound, not anyone else in the whole wide world. I know some think thats kooky cause they do care about what others think. I never understood that but hey...I'm a rebel. Double blind is fine for science, my hearing and interaction with my brain are beyond double blind science. There is an unknown factor about perception, just as one may perceive things in everyday life.

My choices are not about science, I did not meet my wife by plugging in my info into a computer.There were things I perceived as desirable for no scientific reason.

I was trying to figure out which side of the fence you were on . I agree , I have heard enough about double blind and how it is done wrong and you cant tell anything without one blah blah blah. Us older folks seem to have some common sense that is sorely lacking in younger generations., common sense just isn't very common it seems.
post #51 of 110 Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post
I was trying to figure out which side of the fence you were on . I agree , I have heard enough about double blind and how it is done wrong and you cant tell anything without one blah blah blah. Us older folks seem to have some common sense that is sorely lacking in younger generations., common sense just isn't very common it seems.

The double blind just proves most of us "hear" with our eyes, that's all.
post #52 of 110 Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post
That's probably true in many cases. I do my own blind test, I put on some music, sit back, close my eyes and enjoy. If I can do that several days without an issue it's good. If after several days I just can't feel the appropriate rythym its gotta go. I will confess sometimes Ive hated a few right off the bat, and loved a few too. As long as they are functioning correctly I still try to give em several chances.

Socketman, I think we agree on old school testing methods.
post #53 of 110 Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post
Double blind is just a nice way of saying the blind leading the blind?
post #54 of 110 Old 02-23-2015, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mudcat45 - I appreciate you opinion. However, my double-blind was a Denon AVR-4311 vs XMC-1. My subject was my music-loving wife.

It took her about 30 seconds to decide in favor of the Emotiva.
Noman74656 and Foggy1 like this.
post #55 of 110 Old 03-13-2015, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
newbie question - if I get XMC-1 do I still need to get a receiver?
post #56 of 110 Old 03-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Wow, it always amazes me how these threads that start with very good intentions get derailed with useless nonsense. Out of the 55 posts in this thread, I count exactly 2 that actually speak to the topic: review of the equipment. Very disappointing to those who might want to get actual information about the unit.

For my part I'll offer two thoughts: my perspective of a "review" is that you will always get someone's (the reviewer's) opinion. So arguing about the validity of an opinion is crazy. Everyone's opinion is valid - doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

Second thought, which is hopefully on topic: I've had exactly two evenings, approximately six hours, to spend with my new XMC-1. Mine drives a bank of Crown XLS2000's and Paradigm Reference speakers and DIY 18" subs. So far I think the XMC-1 has the potential to produce the best home theater experience for me to date. Prior to this I had an Integra DHC-40.1/Emotiva XPA-5, and prior to that a Rotel RSX-1056. I'll report back with a more detailed review after I have the system dialed in and have logged some hours with music and movies.

In the mean time, I sure hope this thread gets back on track. I'd like to hear more from people who actually have heard the unit.
ClarkeBar likes this.

Last edited by pmd918; 03-13-2015 at 03:36 PM.
post #57 of 110 Old 03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingSpeaker View Post
newbie question - if I get XMC-1 do I still need to get a receiver?
You need an amplifier, too.
post #58 of 110 Old 03-13-2015, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post
You need an amplifier, too.
Yes I understand that part of getting additional amps to drive the speakers. I was not sure if XMC-1 is itself a receiver like a Onkyo etc. I'm just starting off on this subject matter.
post #59 of 110 Old 03-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingSpeaker View Post
Yes I understand that part of getting additional amps to drive the speakers. I was not sure if XMC-1 is itself a receiver like a Onkyo etc. I'm just starting off on this subject matter.
The XMC-1 plus an amplifier would be equivalent of an Onkyo receiver in terms of function. Just keep in mind that the XMC-1 is not likely to be as feature-rich as an equivalently priced Onkyo, Denon, etc. (discussion of which is what most of this thread has degraded into). What you will (arguably) get is better sound quality.

Last edited by pmd918; 03-13-2015 at 05:27 PM.
post #60 of 110 Old 03-14-2015, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Arguably? My experience is that the sound quality is a helluva lot better than my Denon AVR-4311 with or without an external amplifier.

I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and the risk-free return window closes this week. There's no way that I'm sending this back. My wife and I are absolutely THRILLED with the XMC-1.

PS - I lost zero functionality from the Denon. In fact, it works better with my HTPC because the XMC-1. And source switching is a lot faster and easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page