Reviews of the Emotiva XMC-1 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #61 of 110 Old 03-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Arguably? . . .
Not arguable for me, either. But since I can only speak for my own experience I didn't want to generalize. If I did generalize, then I'd have people jumping on my a$$ about "well, have you actually heard system xyz in a triple blind test with frosting on top?"

But your point is well made - should have made my opinion clear. I believe that it is better than anything in the price range.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Last edited by pmd918; 03-14-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 110 Old 03-15-2015, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New to the forum here. I am currently finishing up a home remodel where my wife graciously allowed me to install a whole home system plus a media room. I currently have a sherbourn 7030 preamp and was wondering if a move to the xmc-1 was warranted.
post #63 of 110 Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Jack - Give the XMC-1 an in-home demo. Your only risk is the cost to ship it back to Nashville, where it's made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 110 Old 03-15-2015, 10:02 AM

I should add that my current systems consists of a 6 zone whole home system from Home Theater Direct. It is tied to my media room via stereo rca cables. My home theater system is the Sherbourne 7030 with panasonic BDT100 bluray, Panasonic AEU8000 projector. An emotiva xpa 3 drives klipsch reference premiere front and center channels, with a pair of emotiva xpa 200's driving klipsch surround and rear speakers. Lastly bass is handled by a pair of klipsch sw110 subwoofers.
post #65 of 110 Old 03-15-2015, 10:08 AM

I will do that. Has anyone had handshake issues with their hdmi on the xmc-1. I am not sure which component is having issues, but to play dvd's I have had to shorten my hdmi cable lengths, and connect the bluray player via toslink to the receiver to get video to no bluescreen. It only did this DVD or cd media. Strange to me.
post #66 of 110 Old 03-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksterw2r View Post
I will do that. Has anyone had handshake issues with their hdmi on the xmc-1. I am not sure which component is having issues, but to play dvd's I have had to shorten my hdmi cable lengths, and connect the bluray player via toslink to the receiver to get video to no bluescreen. It only did this DVD or cd media. Strange to me.
One of the previous issues with Emotiva pre/pros was with HDMI handshaking. So with the XMC-1 I was very wary.

I can say unequivocally that the XMC-1 does better with HDMI than any other device I've ever used. It is very fast and problem free. I have the following devices connected to mine and operation has been flawless: TiVo Roamio, Mac Mini, PS4, Apple TV, Oppo BDP-83, Toshiba HD DVD, Panasonic TC-P65VT60.

Last edited by pmd918; 03-16-2015 at 07:13 AM.
post #67 of 110 Old 03-15-2015, 11:53 AM

Great! Even more reason to give xmc-1 a test. Have enjoyed the Sherbourne unit and I got it with the hopes of upgrading, so...
post #68 of 110 Old 03-15-2015, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 227
+1
I've noticed that switching sources is also faster on the XMC-1 than my old Denon, which wasn't bad at all.
post #69 of 110 Old 03-15-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post
One of the previous issues with Emotiva pre/pros was with HDMI handshaking. So with the XMC-1 I was very wary.

I can say unequivocally that the XMC-1 does better with HDMI than any other device I've ever used. It is very fast and problem free. I have the following devices connected to mine and operation has been flawless: TiVo Roamio, Mac Mini, Apple TV, Oppo BDP-83, Toshiba HD DVD, Panasonic TC-P65VT60.
The only device I had a minor problem with is the Apple TV (gen 3). It turned out that in my case, setting the color space to RGB high rather than YCbCr or Auto fixed the problem (with no discernible difference in PQ). When I spoke with Damon a couple times on it, they were still trying to duplicate the problem repeatably to fix it. He said they get more reports of problems with ATV than any other single device, but they were having a hard time duplicating the problem in Franklin repeatably so Ray could fix it.

My Sony TV, BDP and Tivo Roamio work perfectly. And the XMC handles the audio codec switching on the Tivo and in BD menus, trailers and intro screens quickly & properly as well.

I will say Emo (in the form of Damon) was very interested in getting all the data from me to try and find/fix the bug. I never got a hint of "we meet the spec, it's Apple's problem". I had another minor bug I gave extensive data to Damon on, and he called back to say they verified it and said Ray said to thank me for reporting it and providing test cases.

They really seem interested in killing all of the bugs on this thing (not that there are many I have run across at this point).
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Emotiva XMC-1 (w 4K board) & XPA-5, B&W CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, Hsu VTF-15, Auralic Aries, Apple TV 4K, Sony 65A9F & Panasonic UB820
post #70 of 110 Old 03-16-2015, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksterw2r View Post
Has anyone had handshake issues with their hdmi on the xmc-1
I have a problem with my Popcorn Hour C-200. The signal continually drops and comes back (TV and PJ keep losing the signal, as indicated by them showing a black screen then the HDMI connection status when it comes back). I've worked around it for the moment with an Octava matrix switch I was using prior to the XMC-1 in line between the PCH and Emo. I need to test what does and doesn't work before I report it.
post #71 of 110 Old 03-23-2015, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, I had a similar problem with the Roku.

Emotive asked me to turn off all the HDMI CEC controls. Try that on both devices, as well as your display device(TV, Projector)

Emotiva XMC-1 | Pioneer BDP-52FD | Roku 3 | XBOX ONE | Custom HTPC | B&O BeoGram 8002 | APC J25 | Front L/R JBL LSR12+LSR6328P, Center JBL LSR6328P, Surround JBL LSR6325P | Subwoofer 2 X Boston Acoustics 595X + Monster MPA 5150 SS | 120" EliteScreen CineGrey 3D | Sony VPL-HW40ES
post #72 of 110 Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi All,

I have an XMC-1 currently in my system with Bryston amplification and Aerial Speakers.... Previously, had a Anthem AV50 pre, UMC-1, Denon high end receiver. The XMC-1 is proving to be a a real winner in several areas: 1) HDMI switching (no problems here), 2) dual stereo subwoofer flexibility, 3) great and easy menu system and last but not least sound quality. I listen also to a lot of digital music and the only area that doesnt have me super excited is the USB input on the XMC1 for using the pre as a DAC. The drivers that Emotiva use (C-media) are a pain in the a^^ and the sound is ok but not in the league of some mid-range stand alone DACs, imo. The Emotiva is an excellent stand alone stereo pre in reference mode but unfortunately my HT speakers are not full range so you have to use the sub integration which takes it back into the digital domain on the Pre hence the reason for using the Emotiva USB input.

Also, from a sound quality perspective, the Anthem is every bit as good as the Emotiva and I cant say that I really would prefer Dirac over ARC, both are great. Just the feature set on the Anthem is very dated.
post #73 of 110 Old 04-12-2015, 04:05 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Mudcat45 - I appreciate you opinion. However, my double-blind was a Denon AVR-4311 vs XMC-1. My subject was my music-loving wife.

It took her about 30 seconds to decide in favor of the Emotiva.
Exactly the comparison I was looking for -- I have the Denon 4311 and really enjoy the thing, but times change, technology moves along and I expected to jump on the XMC-1 when it finally appeared. Well, it's here and I haven't jumped.

What the heck are we supposed to do with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X looming tall? Sheesh. Talk about a buzz kill.

So I am seeking advice -- Let the object orient surround battle work itself out or get my jumping shoes on?

Thanks
post #74 of 110 Old 04-12-2015, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Marshal View Post
Exactly the comparison I was looking for -- I have the Denon 4311 and really enjoy the thing, but times change, technology moves along and I expected to jump on the XMC-1 when it finally appeared. Well, it's here and I haven't jumped.
What the heck are we supposed to do with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X looming tall? Sheesh. Talk about a buzz kill.
So I am seeking advice -- Let the object orient surround battle work itself out or get my jumping shoes on?

Thanks
We all make our own choice; nobody else can make it for us. ...That is our short life here on Earth, and we can only do our best.

♦ Go Atmos/DTS:X or bust!
post #75 of 110 Old 04-12-2015, 08:11 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
We all make our own choice; nobody else can make it for us. ...That is our short life here on Earth, and we can only do our best.

♦ Go Atmos/DTS:X or bust!
Thanks --
post #76 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Seymour View Post
I have a problem with my Popcorn Hour C-200. The signal continually drops and comes back (TV and PJ keep losing the signal, as indicated by them showing a black screen then the HDMI connection status when it comes back). I've worked around it for the moment with an Octava matrix switch I was using prior to the XMC-1 in line between the PCH and Emo. I need to test what does and doesn't work before I report it.
Do you have CEC turned off?
The C-200 has reported issues with that and certain combination of HDMI components in the chain. It seems they don't adhere to all of the HDMI specs and that can throw things off when trying to sync. You best bet may be what you have done now and keep it isolated.

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0

Set an example:
Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you...
Not because they are nice, but because YOU are. :)
post #77 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Do you have CEC turned off?
The C-200 has reported issues with that and certain combination of HDMI components in the chain. It seems they don't adhere to all of the HDMI specs and that can throw things off when trying to sync. You best bet may be what you have done now and keep it isolated.
CEC is turned off on the Emo. There doesn't seem to be an option on the PCH.

The PCH works directly to the TV and PJ on the same cables that come out of the Emo and on the same short cable that I used to the Emo. If I knew enough about what was going on I could say with some authority that the PCH or the Emo were at fault. Unfortunately I don't and I've noticed that what tends to happen in these instances is that manufacturer A blames the equipment from manufacturer B or the cables, never shortcomings in their own product.

Always a difficult nut to crack.
post #78 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The PCH works directly to the TV and PJ on the same cables that come out of the Emo and on the same short cable that I used to the Emo. If I knew enough about what was going on I could say with some authority that the PCH or the Emo were at fault. Unfortunately I don't and I've noticed that what tends to happen in these instances is that manufacturer A blames the equipment from manufacturer B or the cables, never shortcomings in their own product.

HDMI is a chain so all links need to be in sync for this dumb chain to work.
Do a search for HDMI sync issues and popcorn C200 for some examples and possible workarounds.

(But you can substitute any device for the popcorn and get the same number of hits. )

There is no video processor on the XMC which could help "buffer" issues like this so any switching in format will require a renegociation across the entire chain.
I assume you have CEC turned off at the display also?

Set an example:
post #79 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 50
As I am currently looking for a new Pre Pro as well I took the Emotiva into consideration, but from what I can read it seems like there are still a lot of issues with the software/firmware, so I dont think its worth the effort to import it to Germany for testing.
post #80 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
HDMI is a chain so all links need to be in sync for this dumb chain to work.
Do a search for HDMI sync issues and popcorn C200 for some examples and possible workarounds.

(But you can substitute any device for the popcorn and get the same number of hits. )

There is no video processor on the XMC which could help "buffer" issues like this so any switching in format will require a renegociation across the entire chain.
I assume you have CEC turned off at the display also?
Yes, CEC is turned off everywhere it can be.

It is annoying that 3 pieces of equipment (PCH, TV, PJ) will talk quite happily on the chain without the Emo in it. My work around works for now.

I understand your comment about the number of hits with any device. I personally think HDMI is flawed, or at the very least, has a fault tolerance the equivalent of the old BNC network cables we all used to hate.
bootman_head_fi likes this.
post #81 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM Germany View Post
As I am currently looking for a new Pre Pro as well I took the Emotiva into consideration, but from what I can read it seems like there are still a lot of issues with the software/firmware, so I dont think its worth the effort to import it to Germany for testing.
There will always be niggles about equipment from what appears to be a "cottage industry" manufacturer because it takes them a long time to iron them out, and in Emotiva's case it appears a very long time with very little feedback. However I think the XMC-1 is a very good piece of kit today. It sounds great and the bundled Dirac LE makes it sound even better, and I had a Lexicon MC-12 before it. The latest firmware 3.0 works for me and a lot of others. I don't regret the purchase and knew if I didn't like it the cost of returning it from Spain would have been very high.

Yes it can be a little quirky at times and people are having problems. If you want something polished or something you can return to the local store easily, the XMC-1 isn't it. If you want something that sounds really good and are willing to put up with the quirks while waiting for firmware upgrades, the XMC-1 is a good choice.
post #82 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
There will always be niggles about equipment from what appears to be a "cottage industry" manufacturer because it takes them a long time to iron them out, and in Emotiva's case it appears a very long time with very little feedback. However I think the XMC-1 is a very good piece of kit today. It sounds great and the bundled Dirac LE makes it sound even better, and I had a Lexicon MC-12 before it. The latest firmware 3.0 works for me and a lot of others. I don't regret the purchase and knew if I didn't like it the cost of returning it from Spain would have been very high.

Yes it can be a little quirky at times and people are having problems. If you want something polished or something you can return to the local store easily, the XMC-1 isn't it. If you want something that sounds really good and are willing to put up with the quirks while waiting for firmware upgrades, the XMC-1 is a good choice.

I am pretty sure it is a great unit and that they will fix their bugs over the course of time, however what really puts me off is that I have no local dealer around the corner (or actually in the country) in case of issues.

If something goes wrong it would mean sending the thing over to the US, waiting for it to get repaired/send back and come up for the shipping cost as well.

Will still keep an eye on the company and the gadgets they come up with. You never know what the future holds.
post #83 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 AM

One more thing I wanted to check..When I looked up the Emotiva I found a couple of posts from a couple month or even years ago on another forum, indicating there was a European distributor available in Holland?

But I take it thats not the case anymore? Having a contact/ship to in Europe would already be an improvement for me and make the XMC-1 a potential candidate again.
post #84 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, CEC is turned off everywhere it can be.

It is annoying that 3 pieces of equipment (PCH, TV, PJ) will talk quite happily on the chain without the Emo in it. My work around works for now.

I understand your comment about the number of hits with any device. I personally think HDMI is flawed, or at the very least, has a fault tolerance the equivalent of the old BNC network cables we all used to hate.

HDMI is the worst thing to happen to this hobby.

I'll bet if you put in an EDID duplicator like this, your issues would go away.

But this format sucks that it sometimes makes you do that.

...and this isn't an Emotiva only problem.
A search reveals that no product is immune.
It is almost as if we need to offer a blood sacrifice to make this work.

Set an example:
post #85 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM Germany View Post
One more thing I wanted to check..When I looked up the Emotiva I found a couple of posts from a couple month or even years ago on another forum, indicating there was a European distributor available in Holland?

But I take it thats not the case anymore? Having a contact/ship to in Europe would already be an improvement for me and make the XMC-1 a potential candidate again.
If you don't need a new pre/pro and you want Dirac for RC - which I have yet to read a negative review about - you may want to look into buying a miniDSP DDRC-88A. There are distributors in Europe and very good customer service. Check out the thread for more information. Very flexible device for $1k.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-live-box.html

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #86 of 110 Old 04-13-2015, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

try using a redmere hdmi cable..
post #87 of 110 Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
If you don't need a new pre/pro and you want Dirac for RC - which I have yet to read a negative review about - you may want to look into buying a miniDSP DDRC-88A. There are distributors in Europe and very good customer service. Check out the thread for more information. Very flexible device for $1k.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-live-box.html
Thanks a lot for the link.

Actually I stumbled across the minidsp before, however my current Pre/Pro is pretty outdated so I would like to upgrade it in the process as well (currently I have no HDMI, no DTS HD, DD+ etc.).

The XMC-1 is really tempting as it ticks all my boxes...However I just did a quick calculation of the costs involved and if I order the processor it would cost me 200 Euro/Dollar just for the shipping/taxes to Germany.

So if for whatever reason I am not happy with the unit and return it within the 30 days period I would have to pay another 70 Euro for the shipping. Means I would have lost almost 300 Euro in the process just for the sake of testing it.

Now if everything works out fine, I like the unit and keep it I would still have the issue that in case of hardware issues down the road I would have to pay around 140 Euro for the shipping back and forth to the US to get it serviced.

Unfortunately this is to much hassle involved for me, so I will have to have a look elsewhere and keep fingers crossed that Emotiva maybe opens up a Service Center or Distribution Center in Europe one day.
post #88 of 110 Old 04-14-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
HDMI is the worst thing to happen to this hobby.

I'll bet if you put in an EDID duplicator like this, your issues would go away.
My Octava switch is essentially the same type of device but needs power and is overkill with 4 in, 2 separate out. I'll investigate the Gefen as a non powered better bet. Thanks.
bootman_head_fi likes this.
post #89 of 110 Old 04-14-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
try using a redmere hdmi cable..
I don't think cable distance is the problem. I've a 10M to the TV and an 8M to the projector and the PCH when directly connected on these is faultless. Worth a thought though as I try to get an handle on this stuff.
post #90 of 110 Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
My Octava switch is essentially the same type of device but needs power and is overkill with 4 in, 2 separate out. I'll investigate the Gefen as a non powered better bet. Thanks.

FYI - I use the Gefen unit and it works advertised - at least with my particular HDMI issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page