Reviews of the Emotiva XMC-1 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #91 of 110 Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Seymour View Post
I don't think cable distance is the problem. I've a 10M to the TV and an 8M to the projector and the PCH when directly connected on these is faultless. Worth a thought though as I try to get an handle on this stuff.
you should definitely try a redmere cable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 04-14-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
I don't think cable distance is the problem. I've a 10M to the TV and an 8M to the projector and the PCH when directly connected on these is faultless. Worth a thought though as I try to get an handle on this stuff.
Total distance matters.
Here is a simple test.
Reduce the output to 720 from 1080 and see if this helps.
If it does, it's the cables.

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0

Set an example:
Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you...
Not because they are nice, but because YOU are. :)
post #93 of 110 Old 04-15-2015, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Total distance matters.
Here is a simple test.
That's a good tip. I'll try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
A short one from PCH to Emo or long ones from Emo to TV/PJ? The short one will be the cheapest option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 110 Old 04-15-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM Germany View Post
Thanks a lot for the link.

Actually I stumbled across the minidsp before, however my current Pre/Pro is pretty outdated so I would like to upgrade it in the process as well (currently I have no HDMI, no DTS HD, DD+ etc.).

The XMC-1 is really tempting as it ticks all my boxes...However I just did a quick calculation of the costs involved and if I order the processor it would cost me 200 Euro/Dollar just for the shipping/taxes to Germany.

So if for whatever reason I am not happy with the unit and return it within the 30 days period I would have to pay another 70 Euro for the shipping. Means I would have lost almost 300 Euro in the process just for the sake of testing it.

Now if everything works out fine, I like the unit and keep it I would still have the issue that in case of hardware issues down the road I would have to pay around 140 Euro for the shipping back and forth to the US to get it serviced.

Unfortunately this is to much hassle involved for me, so I will have to have a look elsewhere and keep fingers crossed that Emotiva maybe opens up a Service Center or Distribution Center in Europe one day.

Which is definitely why you should stay "local" for sourcing. What are you using now? It's always nice to know what people are upgrading from.
post #95 of 110 Old 04-15-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 3469
Quote:
Unfortunately this is to much hassle involved for me, so I will have to have a look elsewhere and keep fingers crossed that Emotiva maybe opens up a Service Center or Distribution Center in Europe one day.
I think you are making a wise choice. I have the XMC-1 and I'm very happy with it so far. But if I didn't live in the US where shipping is affordable if service is needed I wouldn't chance it. I can't imagine what the shipping charges would be from overseas.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #96 of 110 Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Total distance matters.
Here is a simple test.
I finally got the time to reduce the Popcorn Hour C-200 output to 720p and the connection appears solid. Almost everything I stream from it is 720p or SD so I won't lose resolution most of the time.

Quote:
I ordered one yesterday. I'm interested to see if it cures the problem.
post #97 of 110 Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 104
post #98 of 110 Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post
Which is definitely why you should stay "local" for sourcing. What are you using now? It's always nice to know what people are upgrading from.

Sorry for the slow response, didn't notice your reply.

I am planning to upgrade from a Pre Pro called AudioNet Map 1 ( http://en.audionet.de/machines/).

Its a small German company and they are specialized in high quality stereo. I am really happy with the Map 1 and it still sounds awesome despite the age, but I really would like to have access to DTS HD, HDMI etc.

I am looking for a replacement for a while but didn't find a worthy upgrade yet. The first thing I did was to call up AudioNet and ask them if they plan to build a new PrePro in the future, but unfortunately that won´t be the case as a small company like them wont be able to keep up with the speed the new HDMI standards etc. develop.

The Emotiva is unfortunately out of the race due to the above described issues with the shipping/service from Germany.

I had the chance to listen to the Marantz 7702 over a weekend and it was no upgrade to the AudioNet.
Actually it sounded worse even with DTS HD, HDMI and Room Correction enabled. My dealer told me that the AV8802 sounds basically the same as the 7702 and if I didn't like the sound of the small Marantz I wouldn't be happy with the bigger one either.

So I am back doing research...The new Classe Sigma SSP looks promising and I might try out the Primare SP33. Around June the new Rotel Pre
Pro gets released as well, so if I can hold my horses until then I might check it out as well.

Problem is that ideally I would like to have a great Stereo performance coupled with a great 5.1 performance as well. Just like AudioNet does....
However this combination seems to be pretty rare these days.
post #99 of 110 Old 04-28-2015, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
REM, can you get a Marantz AV8802 locally?

About Bryston...SP3? ...Anthem Statement D2v 3D? ...Both Canadian. ...Classe SSP-800 too.
post #100 of 110 Old 04-28-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
REM, can you get a Marantz AV8802 locally?

About Bryston...SP3? ...Anthem Statement D2v 3D? ...Both Canadian. ...Classe SSP-800 too.

My dealer offered to get me a 8802 but more or less told me immediately that the sound "character" wont be much different to the 7702 and that it won´t make me happy either.

To be fair I thought that it was a pretty honest statement as he doesn't sell Classe/Primare, so he potentially lost a customer with that statement.

I checked out all the Pre/Pros you mentioned already a couple weeks back when I started my initial research, but they are unfortunately coming at a price of around 10k which is a bit to much for my taste.

If I am going to spend "big" then it is a max of 5000 Euro. Arcam has a pretty nice new Pre/Pro as well however its priced around 7k, so that's unfortunately out of reach as well.
post #101 of 110 Old 04-28-2015, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The Emotiva is unfortunately out of the race due to the above described issues with the shipping/service from Germany.
Emotiva service in The Netherlands:
http://www.audioservice.nl/index.php/deutsch

Add shipping VAT and duties and the XMC-1 is still substantially cheaper.

It's the room, stupid!
post #102 of 110 Old 04-28-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletwals View Post
Emotiva service in The Netherlands:
http://www.audioservice.nl/index.php/deutsch

Add shipping VAT and duties and the XMC-1 is still substantially cheaper.

I am aware that there is this Dutch provider, however according to Emotiva they have nothing to do with the company, so this is no official service provider.

Was the first thing I asked Emotiva when I stumbled across the link on another forum.
post #103 of 110 Old 04-28-2015, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If the cat catches the mouse it's fine by me.

It's the room, stupid!
post #104 of 110 Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
There is also Yamaha, Rotel, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Primare, Ayre Acoustics, McIntosh, Meridian, Cary Audio, Moon Audio, Simaudio, Mark Levinson, Myriad, Lexicon, Audio Refinement, Theta Digital, McCormack, Krell, Chord.
post #105 of 110 Old 04-29-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I ordered one yesterday. I'm interested to see if it cures the problem.
The Monoprice redmere cable did not fix the problem. The PCH > redmere > Emo > 8 metre high speed HDMI cable > TV and PJ still exhibits the same problem of constantly trying to sync.

The PCH boots into 1080i/60 then changes to 1080p/50, my preferred setting. I watched 45 minutes of a film in 1080p/24 without a hitch. Stopping the film, the PCH returns to 1080p/50 as it should and the TV syncs fine. Paging through the PCH folder view, every page triggered a resync, shown by the TV as a blank screen and then the TV's 1980 x 1080p/50 notification.

I do not understand why PCH > 8 metre high speed HDMI cable > TV or PJ and PCH > 1.5 metre high speed HDMI cable > TV or PJ works flawlessly but via the Emo does not. Perhaps the Emo with it's 'to spec' HDMI inputs has a tolerance that is too tight for legacy gear.

Oh well, back to my Octava HDMI matrix switch in circuit. It works.
post #106 of 110 Old 04-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
The Monoprice redmere cable did not fix the problem. The PCH > redmere > Emo > 8 metre high speed HDMI cable > TV and PJ still exhibits the same problem of constantly trying to sync.

The PCH boots into 1080i/60 then changes to 1080p/50, my preferred setting. I watched 45 minutes of a film in 1080p/24 without a hitch. Stopping the film, the PCH returns to 1080p/50 as it should and the TV syncs fine. Paging through the PCH folder view, every page triggered a resync, shown by the TV as a blank screen and then the TV's 1980 x 1080p/50 notification.

I do not understand why PCH > 8 metre high speed HDMI cable > TV or PJ and PCH > 1.5 metre high speed HDMI cable > TV or PJ works flawlessly but via the Emo does not. Perhaps the Emo with it's 'to spec' HDMI inputs has a tolerance that is too tight for legacy gear.

Oh well, back to my Octava HDMI matrix switch in circuit. It works.
i would have went with the redmere cable where you had the 8 meter cable, ut at least you have a workaround..
post #107 of 110 Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
i would have went with the redmere cable where you had the 8 meter cable, ut at least you have a workaround..
Yeah. The 6 footer was the cheaper and easier option. I'll probably investigate the 8 metre option when the will to pull cables grabs me.
post #108 of 110 Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Does anything with Dirac processing have dual sub outputs and/or Atmos?

If not, has anything been announced that will have more than 7.1 channels and Dirac in the future?
post #109 of 110 Old 06-01-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. The 6 footer was the cheaper and easier option. I'll probably investigate the 8 metre option when the will to pull cables grabs me.
I've rewired using a 30ft Monoprice Redmere cable from the XMC-1 to the PJ. No difference but I took the opportunity to pull out the old unused S-Video cable and the Monoprice fits in the trunking better than the HDMI cable I was using. The wife is happy as its neater.
post #110 of 110 Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
Does anything with Dirac processing have dual sub outputs and/or Atmos?

If not, has anything been announced that will have more than 7.1 channels and Dirac in the future?

Well the XMC technically is 7.2 (dual sub management) but nothing for atmos at this time however, atmos doesent concern me in the least..

3 things in life my father said to me

1. Deny till death
2. If you dont sleep with her, someone else will
3. If it dont fit, force it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page