How to add streaming (Spotify) to non HDMI Receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to add streaming (Spotify) to non HDMI Receiver?

I have an old Yamaha receiver (rx-v995 I think). It was fairly high end when I got it several years ago but no HDMI. I recently picked up a set of Paradigm Studio 100 V5's speakers and want to use them in a 2-channel audio set up for now. I plan to buy a new receiver when the 4K / HDMI 2.2 stuff settles down.

Would the following set up work for adding streaming to the mix. Roku stick into Oppo-103, optical link from Oppo to receiver. Would the sound quality be decent? I am specifically looking to support Spotify Premium and possibly Airplay. Not sure if the Roku supports airplay. Would an Apple TV plug into the Oppo?

Is there anyway to convert an s-video port out of the receiver to an HDMI to display on a Mitsubishi projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by brollend View Post
I have an old Yamaha receiver (rx-v995 I think). It was fairly high end when I got it several years ago but no HDMI. I recently picked up a set of Paradigm Studio 100 V5's speakers and want to use them in a 2-channel audio set up for now. I plan to buy a new receiver when the 4K / HDMI 2.2 stuff settles down.

Would the following set up work for adding streaming to the mix. Roku stick into Oppo-103, optical link from Oppo to receiver. Would the sound quality be decent? I am specifically looking to support Spotify Premium and possibly Airplay. Not sure if the Roku supports airplay. Would an Apple TV plug into the Oppo?

Is there anyway to convert an s-video port out of the receiver to an HDMI to display on a Mitsubishi projector?
Roku doesn't do AirPlay. The Oppo has a USB port, which isn't compatible with the Roku or AppleTV HDMI output. If the Oppo has the ability to stream, find out if you can add apps- if so, that may be the easiest way. If not, you'll need something with HDMI input. For now, it will probably be easiest to plug the Roku stick into the TV and use the optical out to the AVR.

Some AVRs stream Spotify, so that may affect your timeline for a one one.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 172
A regular Roku (not the streaming stick) is probably the ticket here, just hook it up to the two channel input of your choice on your AVR. No AirPlay, although the Roku will work as a DLNA renderer for playing your own digital music collection. You might need to find one of the older Roku (the first gen or the Roku 2) as I believe the Roku 3 only has HDMI outputs.

Receiver: Denon AVR X3400H/Display: Vizio P65-E1
Blu-Ray: Sony UBP-X700/LaserDisc: Panasonic AG-LD20/Streamer Amazon FireTV 4K
Satellite: Dish Hopper w/Sling
Speakers: SVS Prime Tower/SVS Prime Center/SVS Prime Surround/Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sully View Post
A regular Roku (not the streaming stick) is probably the ticket here, just hook it up to the two channel input of your choice on your AVR. No AirPlay, although the Roku will work as a DLNA renderer for playing your own digital music collection. You might need to find one of the older Roku (the first gen or the Roku 2) as I believe the Roku 3 only has HDMI outputs.
Is Roku the best option for Spotify streaming? Does it handle the 320 Kbit premium stream?> What about Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV? I have heard that Apple TV can only pass a lower quality stream because you have to stream from a mobile device over apple airplay. Anyone know if this is the case?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Is Roku the best option for Spotify streaming? Does it handle the 320 Kbit premium stream?> What about Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV? I have heard that Apple TV can only pass a lower quality stream because you have to stream from a mobile device over apple airplay. Anyone know if this is the case?
Im not an airplay expert but I believe airplay audio always streams at "CD" quality/format of 16/44.1 Khz.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-18-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 2538
Quote:
Get a BT 4.0 adapter and use BT from your phone or tablet. I read that BT 4.0 supports up to 384kbs in stereo.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page