Green vertical lines from HDMI out on receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Green vertical lines from HDMI out on receiver

Hey guys hoping you can help me out with this. I picked up a used integra dtr 40.1 and when I hooked it up with HDMI I get green vertical lines and some artifacts. When the receiver is off and passing HDMI straight through, nothing, everything is coming through fine. I unpacked it last night and hooked it up and at first thought it was a bad HDMI cable. I plugged another cable in and it worked fine for the rest of the night. But this morning, the lines are back. Just bought this online and it was kind of an "as is" auction so returning it isn't an option. I haven't tried component video out yet to see if it is happening with them too, but it seems strange that when the receiver is off everything is perfect.

Thanks for the help in advance

Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-20-2015, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

No ideas? Integra recommended a factory reset. Same problem. They also apparently won't ship replacement parts to me, only to a servicer. Nice racket huh? Anyways, here is a pic if anyone might have an idea the help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1424501878281.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	558305  
post #3 of 17 Old 02-20-2015, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Do you need the video processing in the avr? You have the processing engaged or not when on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I think you should try third HDMI cable, just go buy new one 1.4, gold plated, not too expensive. I had green lines with my Denons (both old and new one) which come and go and I already knew cables were a bit flimsy at input (had problem with two), so i went to buy some Sony HDMIs for 15$ each and they did the trick.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12288
Green lines usually indicate a cable issue. Buy some new quality HDMI cables from forum sponsor Monoprice for only $5/each.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 34
have you tried differing source resolutions? how does the connection feel at the rcvr, is it tight, any wiggle? As others have asked, what processing have you set on the unit for the stream? As suggested, it would appear to be a possible cable problem but is strange that it works in "straight thru" mode.... but that may mean that some form of processing is "pushing" the limits of the existing cable.

If you were looking for parts, then you probably are comfortable looking inside things. Maybe try taking off the cover, and gentle poke around inside with some sort of "tapper" (non conductive stick) that you can tap areas of boards and connections and see if things / conditions change... might give you a clue as to the underlying issue.

Last edited by budwich; 02-21-2015 at 09:32 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1015 View Post
Hey guys hoping you can help me out with this. I picked up a used integra dtr 40.1 and when I hooked it up with HDMI I get green vertical lines and some artifacts. When the receiver is off and passing HDMI straight through, nothing, everything is coming through fine. I unpacked it last night and hooked it up and at first thought it was a bad HDMI cable. I plugged another cable in and it worked fine for the rest of the night. But this morning, the lines are back. Just bought this online and it was kind of an "as is" auction so returning it isn't an option. I haven't tried component video out yet to see if it is happening with them too, but it seems strange that when the receiver is off everything is perfect.

Thanks for the help in advance

Vince
I think it is your cables. I have had troubles like that with some HDMI cables.

I have had good results with the Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cables. They are mostly under $10.

Cables over 2 meters long are more likely to give problems.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

As far as the processing goes, I don't see a feature on my interface to turn off the processing. I've messed with the resolution up conversion if that is what you guys are referring to. I've tried through output, auto, 480i,p and 1080i,p.

I've turned on and off audio passthrough to the tv, as well as the feature that allows me to control the tv via hdmi

I tried 3 different HDMI cables all together, one being a rocketfish which is a pretty hefty cable, the other two are cheap o cables from frys. All 3 work properly when connected directly to the tv.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I also have a tx nr525 onkyo that has no issues with any of the gear I'm using. Is there anything that would cause a difference with the processing? Faroduja video processor in the integra, I don't see any ref to the video processor in the onkyo.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hdmi connections all feel secure and tight. Tried all inputs. Have not tried connecting via component video, I tossed all those cable because I didn't think I'd ever use em again.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ensure that deep color options are turned off at the source. maybe there is a loose connector inside the unit that was disturbed during shipping. The "analog input" test (using component or otherwise) would perhaps confirm whether its purely hdmi or some form of "signal rebuild / conversion" issue or cable. Are you able to select any form of "on screen" display (if applicable).... something like just the fm tuner, etc.

Last edited by budwich; 02-21-2015 at 12:17 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

When I select tuner my on screen display is still experiencing the issue. I found a couple of composite rca cables and there is no green line issue with them, unable to see the on screen menu when running analog signal though.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

And there is no option for deep color that I or the integra guy in the phone could find. Also he confirmed that there is no way to disable the video processor, though that doesn't appear to be my issue.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

the "deep color" options are at the source not in the rcver, BUT the receiver may be having issues with those incoming "bit streams". IF I understand your most recent "test", the fact that an analog input is converted correctly and then out via hdmi (right) with no issue appears to indicate some processing of the data streeam inside the unit is an issue.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1015 View Post
As far as the processing goes, I don't see a feature on my interface to turn off the processing.
Hi vince1015, to disable the video processing (using the buttons on the receiver itself NOT the remote), hold down VCR/DVR button then Return button at the same time. You will see on the receiver display either VProcessor or VideoProcessor: USE, select SKIP by using directional pad (Tuning/Preset pad).

Just note the only bad thing is your on screen display that overlays on the tv will no longer be available.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Ok I'll try that when I get he and report back tonight guys
post #17 of 17 Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Jchin you are the man sir! Problem solved. I still have my on screed display even!
You guys rock, thank you.

Vincent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page