Macbook Pro to AVR help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-21-2015, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Macbook Pro to AVR help!

This may be a silly question, but I am struggling and am hoping somebody can lend a helping hand. I have a Pioneer VSX-523 and would like to connect my MBP (13 inch late 2011) to use for streaming movies. I have been able to connect via mini-display port to HDMI for video, and mini-optical to toslink for audio. I have the toslink connected to the only input available on the reciever and the HDMI run to my "dvd" HDMI input. Can anybody explain how to make both audio and video work at the same time? Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-21-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
This may be a silly question, but I am struggling and am hoping somebody can lend a helping hand. I have a Pioneer VSX-523 and would like to connect my MBP (13 inch late 2011) to use for streaming movies. I have been able to connect via mini-display port to HDMI for video, and mini-optical to toslink for audio. I have the toslink connected to the only input available on the reciever and the HDMI run to my "dvd" HDMI input. Can anybody explain how to make both audio and video work at the same time? Thanks in advance for the help!
Unfortunately, my copy of the Pioneer 523's manual is corrupted.
There should be a setting in the receiver which tells it to associate the TosLink connection with the DVD input.
There should be a setting in the receiver which tells it what audio connection should have priority when the DVD input is selected: HDMI, digital or analog. (select digital).

FWIW, the 522's manual says switch to the DVD input. Then press Signal Sel and choose Audio Signal O1 (Optical 1). Presumably that's similar.

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with Macs, but I'm surprised that it doesn't provide audio over the DisplayPort connection. My 5-year-old Windows laptop does. When the receiver is turned on, has the DVD input selected, and is connected to the DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter cable, an option should appear in the Mac's audio configuration menu to send sound to the receiver. The option will only be present on the Mac when the receiver is powered on and DVD playback is selected.

You might get more help in the HTPC forum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...ter-computers/

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 5 Old 02-21-2015, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Unfortunately, my copy of the Pioneer 523's manual is corrupted.
There should be a setting in the receiver which tells it to associate the TosLink connection with the DVD input.
There should be a setting in the receiver which tells it what audio connection should have priority when the DVD input is selected: HDMI, digital or analog. (select digital).

FWIW, the 522's manual says switch to the DVD input. Then press Signal Sel and choose Audio Signal O1 (Optical 1). Presumably that's similar.

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with Macs, but I'm surprised that it doesn't provide audio over the DisplayPort connection. My 5-year-old Windows laptop does. When the receiver is turned on, has the DVD input selected, and is connected to the DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter cable, an option should appear in the Mac's audio configuration menu to send sound to the receiver. The option will only be present on the Mac when the receiver is powered on and DVD playback is selected.

You might get more help in the HTPC forum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...ter-computers/
I did that, turned it off, turned it back on, and it worked like a charm.. Thanks so much for the help! I knew it was something simple that I was missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2015, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
On my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro 15", I am able to use the HDMI cable to pass both video & audio. I believe that if you go into system preferences, sound, output and select HDMI when you have your MacBook connected to your receiver.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert K.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Yeah, I think since 2009 MacBooks supported audio over HDMI. You may need to make sure your adaptor supports it, but if you bought it in the past 5 years it should.

Just use that and be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page