ATI 600x Series Amplifiers - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #241 of 261 Old 12-29-2018, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
I run a 6003 with Paradigm signatures which have a similar tweeter and they sound amazing
Thanks. It’s the beryllium tweeters that I love about the Focals but I’ve found it can be a case of careful what you wish for if the amp is at all bright.

The ATI is offered for a sweet price and I know the Focals enjoy power!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 12-29-2018, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If its a sweet price you can always sell it if its too bright.

post #243 of 261 Old 12-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
If its a sweet price you can always sell it if its too bright.
Yes, that’s an option too. I could audition the ATI but then the dealer is quite far off, doesn’t have the Focals and it’s obviously in a different sounding room etc.

The 600x amp has such a great reputation (this thread has really helped!) that I don’t mind buying it somewhat in the dark. I’ve been using an 8 channel Theta Dreadnaught II for years which will now move over to surround duties. Once the room is finished, all 8 surround/Atmos channels will be Focal Electra IW1002 Be in wall/ceilings. The Theta amps are a bit out of reach financially to me now but the ATI Sig. is a “sibling” of the Theta 😉
llang269 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 261 Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I also replaced my dual A21 and A51 amps with two AT6002's and an AT6006. These are fantastic clean amps that are incredibly quiet.
I had many amps in my system Sunfire, ATI3000, and Parasound and always had some buzzing in the center and rear channels.

The AT6006 is amazingly quiet and there is no more buzzing.

- Rich

Ditto. Not the 600x series, but I put in a 4007 amp and there is the beautiful sound of dead silence now. No little hiss that I had with some pretty good amps previously (sunfire, parasound, NAD, D-sonic and even the ATI ncore series)

Selling in AVS Classifieds
FS: Trinnov Altitude 16

Last edited by madhuski; 01-12-2019 at 06:12 PM.
post #245 of 261 Old 01-14-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just wondering can the 6002 be bridged? Thanks
post #246 of 261 Old 01-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur510 View Post
It cannot but you can use it to bi-amp. I do

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #247 of 261 Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
It cannot but you can use it to bi-amp. I do

- Rich

Thanks are you running active crossovers? I read bi-amping doesn't really do much.
post #248 of 261 Old 01-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur510 View Post
It cannot but you can use it to bi-amp. I do [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

- Rich
Short of being able to bridge a 6002, I’d like to see a 5-600w Signature monoblock, especially for those of us who have speakers that can’t be bi-amped. 😉
post #249 of 261 Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraalphahotel View Post
Short of being able to bridge a 6002, I’d like to see a 5-600w Signature monoblock, especially for those of us who have speakers that can’t be bi-amped. 😉

Some amps bridged limit the speakers to 8 Ohms. For example, the A21. I tried that driving the Revel Salons which dip below 4 ohms and it sounded terrible. The amp sees half the impedance when bridged. The amp must be stable to 2 Ohms to drive a 4 Ohms speaker bridged.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #250 of 261 Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Some amps bridged limit the speakers to 8 Ohms. For example, the A21. I tried that driving the Revel Salons which dip below 4 ohms and it sounded terrible. The amp sees half the impedance when bridged. The amp must be stable to 2 Ohms to drive a 4 Ohms speaker bridged.

- Rich
Morris (ATI) best designs, including the Signature series amps, are fully differential and are already bridged internally. External bridging is out of the question.

Jeff
post #251 of 261 Old 01-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Morris (ATI) best designs, including the Signature series amps, are fully differential and are already bridged internally. External bridging is out of the question.
From the ATI website:

http://ati-amp.com/AT6000.php

Beyond Kessler’s personal identification, these amplifiers are new in more significant ways.
1. As in Kessler’s previous top-of-the-line designs, these amplifiers are fully balanced, differential amps, but unlike his earlier balanced designs which were essentially balanced bridged amplifiers, the 6000 series uses only a single input stage with dual-differential output stages. The reason: the advantages of balanced designs are retained and noise is reduced by 50%.

Can you explain the difference between say the AT3000 and AT6000 amps. I took this to mean the AT6000 and AT4000 amps were different in that they were not like two amps bridged? Perhaps, signature amps are still bridged amps internally?

- Rich

post #252 of 261 Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
From the ATI website:

http://ati-amp.com/AT6000.php

Beyond Kessler’s personal identification, these amplifiers are new in more significant ways.
1. As in Kessler’s previous top-of-the-line designs, these amplifiers are fully balanced, differential amps, but unlike his earlier balanced designs which were essentially balanced bridged amplifiers, the 6000 series uses only a single input stage with dual-differential output stages. The reason: the advantages of balanced designs are retained and noise is reduced by 50%.

Can you explain the difference between say the AT3000 and AT6000 amps. I took this to mean the AT6000 and AT4000 amps were different in that they were not like two amps bridged? Perhaps, signature amps are still bridged amps internally?

- Rich

The 2000, 3000, 4000 and 6000 series all have bridged outputs. The 2000 and 3000 series are conventional in the sense that each channel is made up of 2 complete amplifiers. With the Signature amps, there is only a single input stage per channel for both sets of outputs. This requires current feedback and dual servos for DC offset control. The earlier amps used voltage feedback and component selection to minimize offset.

Jeff
RichB and gsr like this.
post #253 of 261 Old 03-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi,

I am very satisfied with my ATI amps for HT use, however I use a Parasound JC2BP preamp for 2 channel listening and find the JC2 with AT4002 a bit harsh and fatigueing to listen to at low to medium volume. I am thinking of changing either the amp or the pre, what are your thoughts and if changing the pre what would you recommend based on experience? Have been thinking of waiting for the ATI ATP16, but I only saw single ended vs balanced connections, been thinking tubes(but "sounds" scary vs ss JC2), Anthem STR pre with ARC...or JC5 amp cos parasound and ATI just don't mate well?...

Thanks in advance,

Yves

Arendal Subwoofer 3 - KEF R900 front R600c center R700 surround R700 rear surround -Kef R8a Atmos front- Kef R50 back- ATI 4002 signature - ATI 2005 - Parasound JC2BP - IOTAVX AVXP1 - Cambridge Audio 851N - Marantz AV7702 - Dune HD Solo 4K - xbox one x - Asset UPnP from QNap NAS - Pioneer LX5090 - Epson TW3600EW

Last edited by Yveke; 03-02-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #254 of 261 Old 03-13-2019, 04:59 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
I figured I'd let people know that I've got another channel module that died this past weekend. The symptoms leading up to this were that a metallic thumping or clicking sound came from what I suspected was one of my 6007's a few times over the last few weeks when turning the system on. This past weekend, the same thing happened and then when I went to watch a video, the dialog was garbled. Analysis of swapping input and output cables to confirm a signal was coming from the prepro and that the speaker was OK confirmed a bad output channel on the amp. Since I've done a channel module swap before, ATI is sending me a replacement module so the amp doesn't have to be shipped via freight to the other side of the country and back. The process of swapping a module is kind of a PITA (especially since this one is the middle module), but a lot less hassle than shipping the amp.

I love these amps when they're working, but I'm getting kind of frustrated with the issues:

1) Upon initial purchase of my pair of 6007 (around July of 2016), the trigger circuits didn't work correctly. @RichB had the same problem and we worked with ATI to get it resolved, which involved swapping out the trigger board and also flashing the firmware on it. The good news is that the trigger circuit has worked great since.

2) I had a bad channel module when I first got the amps. ATI sent me a replacement, which has been fine since performing the swap.

3) This past October, another module stopped working. ATI sent me a replacement. While installing the replacement, I discovered what appeared to be a disconnected wire on one of the ribbon cables that essentially controls when the modules should turn on. ATI confirmed that the connection should be made. Since reconnecting that wire and swapping the channel module (I already had the amp all pulled apart at that point, so it seemed prudent to swap it), that amp has been fine. I never heard back from ATI to confirm that the module I swapped out was OK, but I suspect it was.

4) Now another bad module.

At this point, I've been starting to wonder if I should consider going with something else, but these amps sound so good when they're working that I'm not thrilled with the idea of doing that.
post #255 of 261 Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I figured I'd let people know that I've got another channel module that died this past weekend. The symptoms leading up to this were that a metallic thumping or clicking sound came from what I suspected was one of my 6007's a few times over the last few weeks when turning the system on. This past weekend, the same thing happened and then when I went to watch a video, the dialog was garbled. Analysis of swapping input and output cables to confirm a signal was coming from the prepro and that the speaker was OK confirmed a bad output channel on the amp. Since I've done a channel module swap before, ATI is sending me a replacement module so the amp doesn't have to be shipped via freight to the other side of the country and back. The process of swapping a module is kind of a PITA (especially since this one is the middle module), but a lot less hassle than shipping the amp.

I love these amps when they're working, but I'm getting kind of frustrated with the issues:

1) Upon initial purchase of my pair of 6007 (around July of 2016), the trigger circuits didn't work correctly. @RichB had the same problem and we worked with ATI to get it resolved, which involved swapping out the trigger board and also flashing the firmware on it. The good news is that the trigger circuit has worked great since.

2) I had a bad channel module when I first got the amps. ATI sent me a replacement, which has been fine since performing the swap.

3) This past October, another module stopped working. ATI sent me a replacement. While installing the replacement, I discovered what appeared to be a disconnected wire on one of the ribbon cables that essentially controls when the modules should turn on. ATI confirmed that the connection should be made. Since reconnecting that wire and swapping the channel module (I already had the amp all pulled apart at that point, so it seemed prudent to swap it), that amp has been fine. I never heard back from ATI to confirm that the module I swapped out was OK, but I suspect it was.

4) Now another bad module.

At this point, I've been starting to wonder if I should consider going with something else, but these amps sound so good when they're working that I'm not thrilled with the idea of doing that.
Sorry to hear about your woes but at least you are getting good customer service and you amp is getting fixed. ATi is least working with you and sending you the parts instead of making you send the unit in every time. I had a problem with a amp I owned and knew what the problem was, the company made me send the amp in for repair and they did not only not fix the problem they broke something else and the amp had to be replaced. When I got the amp back broken it was approximately a 6 week ordeal and the company is in Massachusetts and I live in Virginia which is not across the country, talk about headaches. The grass is not always greener on the other side. LOL.
post #256 of 261 Old 03-13-2019, 05:43 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Sorry to hear about your woes but at least you are getting good customer service and you amp is getting fixed. ATi is least working with you and sending you the parts instead of making you send the unit in every time. I had a problem with a amp I owned and knew what the problem was, the company made me send the amp in for repair and they did not only not fix the problem they broke something else and the amp had to be replaced. When I got the amp back broken it was approximately a 6 week ordeal and the company is in Massachusetts and I live in Virginia which is not across the country, talk about headaches. The grass is not always greener on the other side. LOL.
Yeah, the grass not being greener is one of the things that's making me hesitate on making a change. ATI has been pretty good about working with me to get problems resolved. Their pace tends to be a bit more "relaxed" than I would prefer, but they've always come through. They said "give us a few days to test a module", while past experience suggests that it won't actually ship for a week or 2. The good news is that since I'm using the pair of 6007's to biamp my speakers, I can switch back to a single amp channel for the problem speaker while I wait for the replacement part. The bad news is that when a module does go bad, it isn't always immediately obvious, especially if it's one driving the low frequency drivers. For example the problem I had back in October was for a module driving the low frequencies in one of my surround channels - I had no idea it was a problem until I did an Audyssey calibration and got an odd result for that speaker. Doing a quick run through the channel levels in my prepro is a quick way to easily check the high frequencies.
post #257 of 261 Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Yeah, the grass not being greener is one of the things that's making me hesitate on making a change. ATI has been pretty good about working with me to get problems resolved. Their pace tends to be a bit more "relaxed" than I would prefer, but they've always come through. They said "give us a few days to test a module", while past experience suggests that it won't actually ship for a week or 2. The good news is that since I'm using the pair of 6007's to biamp my speakers, I can switch back to a single amp channel for the problem speaker while I wait for the replacement part. The bad news is that when a module does go bad, it isn't always immediately obvious, especially if it's one driving the low frequency drivers. For example the problem I had back in October was for a module driving the low frequencies in one of my surround channels - I had no idea it was a problem until I did an Audyssey calibration and got an odd result for that speaker. Doing a quick run through the channel levels in my prepro is a quick way to easily check the high frequencies.
It’s too bad you’ve had these issues. I’m sure you’ve considered selling and changing to something different; what other amps would be your top picks to replace your 6007’s ?
post #258 of 261 Old 03-13-2019, 03:41 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
It’s too bad you’ve had these issues. I’m sure you’ve considered selling and changing to something different; what other amps would be your top picks to replace your 6007’s ?
That's part of the problem - the 6007's are so good that there aren't too many alternatives that I'd be thrilled with. Bryston is a brand I would take a look at. I had a pair of Parasound JC-1's and an A51 before the 6007's. The 6007's are definitely a step up from the A51 and no worse than a lateral move from the JC-1's; I don't have room for 7 JC-1's. I've got a Benchmark AHB-2 in my home office system and @RichB and I tried it with a pair of Salon 2's. It's a wonderful amp, but I would probably want to bridge them - 7 of them would cost $21K as nobody discounts them. Ouch... So the bottom line is, I really don't know what I'd replace them with...
post #259 of 261 Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
That's part of the problem - the 6007's are so good that there aren't too many alternatives that I'd be thrilled with. Bryston is a brand I would take a look at. I had a pair of Parasound JC-1's and an A51 before the 6007's. The 6007's are definitely a step up from the A51 and no worse than a lateral move from the JC-1's; I don't have room for 7 JC-1's. I've got a Benchmark AHB-2 in my home office system and @RichB and I tried it with a pair of Salon 2's. It's a wonderful amp, but I would probably want to bridge them - 7 of them would cost $21K as nobody discounts them. Ouch... So the bottom line is, I really don't know what I'd replace them with...
I understand your position completely. My findings are similar to yours regarding trying to find an amp that betters the 6000 series without paying double or more. It’s that good. I don’t understand why you’ve had so many issues; maybe it was built on a Friday the 13th?
llang269 and BassMojo like this.
post #260 of 261 Old 07-06-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Has anyone compared the ati 600xx series to the classe 5200, 5300 amps? I know the classe amps are no longer in production but I’ve always lusted after one. I listened to one 10 years ago and it was awesome!

I’m running focal utopia be, Electra cc and surround be. With an nad m25
post #261 of 261 Old 07-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does anyone know the price to replace the normal faceplate to the 19" for rack mounting the 6000 and 4000 amps?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page