Please help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-09-2015, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help

I currently own a Seiki 4K HDTV and Pionner VSX-1123K. I have just purchased and returned the following Receivers...

1. Onkyo TX-N636. Returned due to defective Transformer.
2. Yamaha RX-V677. I did not like the Interface and lack of Individual Speaker Adjustments (I have Paradigm Reference Studio 20 Towers and Reference Studio CC-470 Center for Fronts and Bi-Polar ADP-170s for Rears. I need to set Cross Overs at 60HZ and 150HZ respectfully).
3. Denon AVR-S900W. Defective front panel USB/HDMI input.

...here's what I am looking for...

1. Music first. I predominantly listen to FLAC files through a USB Hard Drive (1 TB). The Onkyo actually displayed the ID3 Tags (Album Covers) but would not play FLAC 24/192 nor DSF Files through the USB port. The Yamaha would not play DSF Files nor display Album Art for any Files other than MP3. The Denon simply did not work. The Pioneer plays all, but there is no Repeat function nor does it Display ID3 Tags correctly.
2. Independent Cross Overs. I need to set the Cross Overs for the Front and Rear Speakers (at a minimum) separately. The Yamaha had Global Settings. The Onkyo and Denon Receivers were defective.
3. Dynamic Range. I usually defeat any Processing. Again, 2 Channel is my priority and I want to be able to defeat any Processing or set the Processing to "Flat" in most Instances. I will not be using Audyssey Dynamic EQ, etc. The Onkyo and Yamaha Receivers seemed to be much more Dynamic (Powerful) than the Denon.
4. A minimum of 5 HDMI Inputs and 1 USB Port.
5. My Seiki is 4K but only at 30HZ. I have the Seiki Up Conversion Cable so I need to only pass and/or convert 1080p/24HZ to the TV. The Yamaha (set to Direct) seemed to pass the "cleanest" signal of the 3. The Denon and Onkyo seemed to soften the Picture (set to Direct or Bypass as well).

...choices...

1. Yamaha RXA-830. Does this Model have separate Cross Over Settings and will it play back 24/192 FLAC Files from the USB input? The Yamaha FAQ says it does not Display On Screen?
2. Yamaha RXA-1030. As above but with ESS DACs. Is there an audible difference?
3. Denon AVR-X3100W. Only concern here is Dynamics/Power.

...any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-09-2015, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mks100 View Post
I currently own a Seiki 4K HDTV and Pionner VSX-1123K. I have just purchased and returned the following Receivers...

1. Onkyo TX-N636. Returned due to defective Transformer.
2. Yamaha RX-V677. I did not like the Interface and lack of Individual Speaker Adjustments (I have Paradigm Reference Studio 20 Towers and Reference Studio CC-470 Center for Fronts and Bi-Polar ADP-170s for Rears. I need to set Cross Overs at 60HZ and 150HZ respectfully).
3. Denon AVR-S900W. Defective front panel USB/HDMI input.

...here's what I am looking for...

1. Music first. I predominantly listen to FLAC files through a USB Hard Drive (1 TB). The Onkyo actually displayed the ID3 Tags (Album Covers) but would not play FLAC 24/192 nor DSF Files through the USB port. The Yamaha would not play DSF Files nor display Album Art for any Files other than MP3. The Denon simply did not work. The Pioneer plays all, but there is no Repeat function nor does it Display ID3 Tags correctly.
2. Independent Cross Overs. I need to set the Cross Overs for the Front and Rear Speakers (at a minimum) separately. The Yamaha had Global Settings. The Onkyo and Denon Receivers were defective.
3. Dynamic Range. I usually defeat any Processing. Again, 2 Channel is my priority and I want to be able to defeat any Processing or set the Processing to "Flat" in most Instances. I will not be using Audyssey Dynamic EQ, etc. The Onkyo and Yamaha Receivers seemed to be much more Dynamic (Powerful) than the Denon.
4. A minimum of 5 HDMI Inputs and 1 USB Port.
5. My Seiki is 4K but only at 30HZ. I have the Seiki Up Conversion Cable so I need to only pass and/or convert 1080p/24HZ to the TV. The Yamaha (set to Direct) seemed to pass the "cleanest" signal of the 3. The Denon and Onkyo seemed to soften the Picture (set to Direct or Bypass as well).

...choices...

1. Yamaha RXA-830. Does this Model have separate Cross Over Settings and will it play back 24/192 FLAC Files from the USB input? The Yamaha FAQ says it does not Display On Screen?
2. Yamaha RXA-1030. As above but with ESS DACs. Is there an audible difference?
3. Denon AVR-X3100W. Only concern here is Dynamics/Power.

...any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I know that you said that your 636 was defective, but it does play FLAC.

I've used a USB to play FLAC on my 636 no problem.

It's great that you don't like any DSP, because the 636's AccuEQ is rather lackluster. Just set it to off and you're good to go. You can set each speakers respective crossovers. The 636 also has 6 HDMI IN's and 2 HDMI OUT's.

I owned a Denon AVR-1912 before my 636 and loved it. Dynamics were absolutely fantastic.

Not a fan of Yamaha whatsoever. That's really all I have to say about that. Ha

Denon AVR-X3300W (5.1.2) | Proficient Audio AW525 (L&R) | Proficient Audio CC550 | Proficient Audio GS10 (LFE) | Yamaha NS-IC400 (Surrounds) | Harmony Elite | Apple TV (4th Gen) | Denon BDP-1611UD | Sony BDP-S580 | Xbox One | Vizio M50-D1"
post #3 of 5 Old 03-10-2015, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAudio View Post
I know that you said that your 636 was defective, but it does play FLAC.

I've used a USB to play FLAC on my 636 no problem.

It's great that you don't like any DSP, because the 636's AccuEQ is rather lackluster. Just set it to off and you're good to go. You can set each speakers respective crossovers. The 636 also has 6 HDMI IN's and 2 HDMI OUT's.

I owned a Denon AVR-1912 before my 636 and loved it. Dynamics were absolutely fantastic.

Not a fan of Yamaha whatsoever. That's really all I have to say about that. Ha
Does your Onkyo have an audible buzzing from the Transformer? Thanks for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mks100 View Post
Does your Onkyo have an audible buzzing from the Transformer? Thanks for your reply.
I've got no buzz whatsoever. It's all running real smoothly.

Denon AVR-X3300W (5.1.2) | Proficient Audio AW525 (L&R) | Proficient Audio CC550 | Proficient Audio GS10 (LFE) | Yamaha NS-IC400 (Surrounds) | Harmony Elite | Apple TV (4th Gen) | Denon BDP-1611UD | Sony BDP-S580 | Xbox One | Vizio M50-D1"
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2015, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 803 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23720 Post(s)
Liked: 13063
All of your original choices should provide similar power output. Why did you feel the Denon didn't? You can't compare units based on master volume number. No reason to upgrade from S900W to X3100W just for power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page