New Pioneer VSX-1130 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #31 of 640 Old 04-29-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post
well just purchased the elite vsx-90 from best buy.. anyone know if they will take it back after the standard 15 days if necessary... 15 days is very short to evaluate a receiver.
I would spend that two weeks running functionality tests on its features. Start with the ones that are game-breakers for you, and go down the list from there.

Usually, Best Buy only makes return exceptions for some extreme reason, like malfunctions or the like. So, run MCACC to test both its results and its mic, check all your HDMI inputs, any 2nd zones you might be using, etc.

Otherwise, enjoy your new Elite!
Ian N likes this.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 640 Old 04-30-2015, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I am wondering how to set Dolby Pro Logic IIz or if there is another setting to simulate surround sound with non surround/stereo sources?
post #33 of 640 Old 04-30-2015, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post
I am wondering how to set Dolby Pro Logic IIz or if there is another setting to simulate surround sound with non surround/stereo sources?
I was wondering this as well. My old Pioneer I could choose several different sound modes that I actually liked that would force sound to come out of the other speakers when it was just a stereo source. Now the only one that seems to do this is "EXT STEREO". My old Pioneer had a "TV SURROUND" option that I used quite a bit.

I also suspect it might be my xbox though. I am setting it to bitstream out then you have to choose a bitstream format (weird) and I chose dolby digital. So perhaps the receiver can't manipulate the signal properly because it thinks its getting a Dolby Digital signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 640 Old 05-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstix View Post
Figured I would post this here as well. Just in case some one knows the fix before Pioneer gets back to me:

Just got the Pioneer VSX-1130 to replace an existing Pioneer VSX-94TXH and attempted to set it up last night.

I was disappointed from the application based set-up. It required that I connect the receiver to the internet before it could control it. Since I don't have a hardline connection, that required putting in my password using the on-screen guide and it was terrible using only the receiver's remote. The password screen showed a keyboard but it made me go up and down one letter at a time cycling first through the alphabet in all caps to get to my password which is all lower case for simplicity. I really hope I just missed a step because it was dreadful. You can see how behind they are on their menus still.

Once I got it up and running, though, more bad news. I connected an Xbox One and WD TV Live and I was getting improper black levels. Both devices were working with the old receiver with the Xbox set to Standard RGB TV (Recommended) black levels and the WD with the 1080p/60hz RGB Low options. With the 1130 and those settings the picture was very washed out. I changed the Xbox to RGB PC Levels and the gray turned back to black but some of the picture was noticeably crushed. I even did the Xbox's built in test patterns to confirm that the "shut eye" and the "white sun" were not coming through the signal.

I started to blame my equipment at first since I have an older Samsung D8000 Plasma. I tried changing the black level from Low (16-235) to Normal (0-255) but that made it gray again. I thought it might be my cables since the new receiver is 4K and it might not "like" the older HDMI's I had been using with the older Pioneer so I went out and got some basic 4K compatible 18+gbps cables from best buy. Running them temporarily outside the wall (wires everywhere!) made no change. Since the cables were there I ran the Xbox directly to the TV and sure enough, with the Standard setting it looked awesome again.

Last night there was not an update available and to my surprise there was one today. I really hoped it would fix the issue, and it did take quite a while, but it made no changes that I noticed.

I tried calling Pioneer support at around 11:30 a.m. but the line just kept ringing. I selected the "call me back" option but no one got back to me. I also e-mailed them and have not received a response yet. I would like to think that it is maybe an internal issue and hopefully I just got a dud. Because of how long I have been waiting to change out receivers and how happy I have been with my 94TXH, I will give them a chance to fix the issue or recommended exchanging it. If not though, I will have to return it and wait for the Sony 1060 that should be hitting stores soon.

I recently purchased the VSX-1124 back in January. I went through what appears the same thing that you are going through. I have a similar set up utilizing my Xbox One. I love the convenience of running the DVR through the Xbox. Anyway, I discovered that I had to utilize pass through for the video. Using the processor from the receiver completely crushed the image and every thing appeared to be gray. Darks were not. I am not sure if you have done this or not, but do not let the receiver process the image. I would of thought that it would do wonders as it has the same video processor as the Oppo Blu Ray players. Hope this helps.
post #35 of 640 Old 05-01-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang1993 View Post
I recently purchased the VSX-1124 back in January. I went through what appears the same thing that you are going through. I have a similar set up utilizing my Xbox One. I love the convenience of running the DVR through the Xbox. Anyway, I discovered that I had to utilize pass through for the video. Using the processor from the receiver completely crushed the image and every thing appeared to be gray. Darks were not. I am not sure if you have done this or not, but do not let the receiver process the image. I would of thought that it would do wonders as it has the same video processor as the Oppo Blu Ray players. Hope this helps.
How did you turn this off? Or how did you turn on the passthrough?
post #36 of 640 Old 05-01-2015, 06:29 PM

On another note:

Has anyone tried the airplay option?

I have tried it with the front speakers on small option with the subwoofer as yes and so far I have not received a signal to the subwoofer.

If I run the speaker level test the subwoofer turns on just fine but it doesn't seem to get a signal from airplay no matter what settings I choose.

Can anyone else confirm or deny?
post #37 of 640 Old 05-02-2015, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Try sub plus?

Wray is your crossover set to and is your sub set to on or auto?
post #38 of 640 Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
How did you turn this off? Or how did you turn on the passthrough?
To access the menus on the VSX-1124, you need to go into the video parameter menu. Ensure the video conversion is set to off. I am not sure if the 1130 offers this? Try that. Hopefully this works for you.
post #39 of 640 Old 05-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Posted a screen shot on where to get to this menu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-02-09-18-15_1430576355665.png
Views:	1852
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	696658  
post #40 of 640 Old 05-02-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
Posted a screen shot on where to get to this menu
Thanks for the pic. I have seen the video parameters for the vsx-1130 and they do not have a processing ON/OFF feature like the previous models seem to. Just scaling and res plus or something. Can't remember what I put but I know its not there and using all options it didnt' make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang1993 View Post
To access the menus on the VSX-1124, you need to go into the video parameter menu. Ensure the video conversion is set to off. I am not sure if the 1130 offers this? Try that. Hopefully this works for you.
I don't think it does.

Quote:
Try sub plus?

Wray is your crossover set to and is your sub set to on or auto?
I tried all speakers set to small and the subwoofer set to YES or to PLUS. Neither one sent sound to the sub during airplay. I have tried the crossover on the receiver set to 80 and to 100. The sub (HSU VTF-3 mk3) is set to auto and the crossover to external (all the way up). I have "awaken" the subwoofer by doing a test tone first through the receiver's level controls and with it still "awake" and going back to AirPlay, it still did not get a signal.
post #41 of 640 Old 05-02-2015, 12:09 PM

After further testing I was able to get signal to the subwoofer during AirPlay playback. Without making any Speaker Setting changes I played around the surround mode settings. There are 3 buttons on the remote, AUTO, SURR, and ADV. I hit the auto button just to see if it was already there, but heard a click and it showed AUTO SURROUND on the receiver display and the subwoofer just suddenly kicked in.

With AirPlay music I was able to switch between the different sound modes and they worked correctly. For example the ACTION setting would send voices to the center channel and add a slight echo; all the SURR modes worked like Dolby Surround, Neo 6 Cinema/Music, etc.

One weird thing though, is when switching back to the Xbox, you can only choose a few different HDMI audio output modes. You can choose Stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 uncompressed (PCM) out or Bitstream with sub options of Dolby Digital or DTS. With the 5.1 uncompressed or either of the Bitstream options and playing back sling tv (which is now only available in stereo), the ADV modes (Action, Drama, Adv Game, etc) will show that they are on, but no sound comes to the center speaker or surrounds from what I can tell. The SURR button only gives me the option of STEREO or EXT STEREO and EXT STEREO will force sound to come out of the center channel. No other modes will do this.

The stereo uncompressed option will show stereo on the receiver and allows the ADV modes and SURR modes to work correctly and output sound from the center speaker.
I miss my old Pioneer that would apply the surround affects to any and all audio formats...
post #42 of 640 Old 05-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am having a problem with sound on my 1130k. Audio only works when the unit is off and it is passed through to the TV. All is hooked up correctly but I cannot get any sound from any input thought my surround sound 5.1 setup. It even takes away the sound on the tv.
Anyone have any suggestions?
post #43 of 640 Old 05-03-2015, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Read through the vsx90 and vsx1130 and neither have any video processing. Looks like they no longer have the qdeo video processor or on-board video editing other than upscaleing.

That being said do you still see what the output is as far as color space from within the app?
post #44 of 640 Old 05-03-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Read through the vsx90 and vsx1130 and neither have any video processing. Looks like they no longer have the qdeo video processor or on-board video editing other than upscaleing.

That being said do you still see what the output is as far as color space from within the app?
Haven't checked lately. I am pretty sure my brightness was just set wrong on my panel and the old receiver was doing something to darken the image and the brightness on the TV was raised to compensate. Since everything was running through the receiver it was not noticeable with anything else. Although I do have an OTA antenna, I guess I never really noticed. Once I dropped the brightness, I could tell how overly bright it was before.

I'm not sure why it looked correct when my devices were plugged directly into the TV but my TV has a weird habit of staying stuck to display the last signal received properly. Hard to explain but if I go in the TV menu and manually change the Black Level from Low to Normal and back to Low it looks different from how it was before switching it. Stupid TV or stupid me. Either one would not surprise me.

Still though, the inability to use the advanced surround processing modes just because the receiver thinks it is getting a surround signal from the Xbox might be enough for me to try a different brand. Why they would change this from previous models, I have no idea.
post #45 of 640 Old 05-11-2015, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New SVX-1130

I just bought this AVR to replace yet another failed ONKYO, not impressed so far.
The GUI only really works via an iPad or at a push iPhone 6 - android is a poor cousin.
  • No printed manual and trust me you need it.
  • Even the remote is not intuitive to use.
  • Auto speaker setup has no SW response - don't turn it up as they say.
  • Disappointing sound but I will try again tonight with manual in hand and highlighted.
  • Horrible speaker post positioning.
  • Did I mention the hard to understand remote? How can a manufacturer make that and the Android GUI hard to use?
Thankfully I have time to evaluate and quite possibly return.
post #46 of 640 Old 05-12-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm really interested in this, I wish it had pre-amp outputs for more ATMOS options. I'll probably stick with 7.2 or 5.2.2 for now.. but would love to have the option to add on an amplifier to go 7.2.2 or 5.4.2 if desired in the future without replacing the entire AVR.
post #47 of 640 Old 05-16-2015, 09:42 PM

I'm having problems with this unit.

- It gets an IP from my network but nothing network related works. Spotify won't work, online updates can't connect. Can't see admin panel from browser, both iOS apps can't connect. (Not using direct wireless method and wac or whatever it is called is off).
- The menu doesn't work most of the time. It might work on the unit but not on the HDMI output. On some cases the HDMI output version gets stuck on a particular menu page while the unit goes on to different options.
- Had much difficulty with Redmere cables that I bought to help support full 4k. Had to replace with more regular high-speed HDMI cable for unit to output 4K to my TV ok. (65XBR850B).

Updated firmware to latest (April 15th version).

Still trying to iron out issue, but getting very frustrated with this unit.
post #48 of 640 Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britgeezer View Post
I just bought this AVR to replace yet another failed ONKYO, not impressed so far.
The GUI only really works via an iPad or at a push iPhone 6 - android is a poor cousin.
  • No printed manual and trust me you need it.
  • Even the remote is not intuitive to use.
  • Auto speaker setup has no SW response - don't turn it up as they say.
  • Disappointing sound but I will try again tonight with manual in hand and highlighted.
  • Horrible speaker post positioning.
  • Did I mention the hard to understand remote? How can a manufacturer make that and the Android GUI hard to use?
Thankfully I have time to evaluate and quite possibly return.
I can attest that the GUI is very primitive looking compared to other receivers that speak of their GUI. Denon's is an overlay so it doesn't interrupt the feed; Sony's is perty lookin. Yamaha's is also an overlay with a hard to navigate cross type menu.

I don't know about needing the manual if you've owned a Pioneer before, they haven't changed much. The remote is cumbersome but you get used to it. Lots of buttons.

It does tend to set my subwoofer very low but perhaps thats even with the rest of my system and I just prefer more bass! It does tame my Klipsch speakers pretty well though.

I have returned mine because the black levels were indeed off. Enjoying xbox one straight to TV now and it looks fantastic again. That plus the other glitches like during AirPlay, I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

I am now awaiting the Sony STR-DN1060 and will jump on that ASAP.
post #49 of 640 Old 05-17-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I am now awaiting the Sony STR-DN1060 and will jump on that ASAP.
I just ordered a Sony STR-DN1060 as well. However, just after doing so, when I went to get an RMA from NewEgg it turns out my Pioneer isn't eligible for refunds, only returns for replacement if defective. I just don't feel like this unit is defective as much as simply badly built. Paying for all the shipping for getting a new one won't solve anything, and I'll still be stuck with that Pioneer (or its replacement).
post #50 of 640 Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I got the VSX-1130 and some Onkyo Atmos modules yesterday, and I was able to swap out an old Yamaha receiver, add the Atmos modules, connect to my 5.0 network, and run full calibration without a hitch. Using M&K speakers in a 4.1.2 setup. I am extremely pleased with the receiver, and I think the upgrade sounds fantastic.

When you are entering the network password, the on-screen instructions tell you to press the wrench button to toggle use of the keyboard. It was just like entering information on my XBone and PS3. Also, once you are connected, visit your receiver's IP with a web browser and there is interactive help on using the remote, etc.
post #51 of 640 Old 06-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewTyson View Post
I got the VSX-1130 and some Onkyo Atmos modules yesterday, and I was able to swap out an old Yamaha receiver, add the Atmos modules, connect to my 5.0 network, and run full calibration without a hitch. Using M&K speakers in a 4.1.2 setup. I am extremely pleased with the receiver, and I think the upgrade sounds fantastic.

When you are entering the network password, the on-screen instructions tell you to press the wrench button to toggle use of the keyboard. It was just like entering information on my XBone and PS3. Also, once you are connected, visit your receiver's IP with a web browser and there is interactive help on using the remote, etc.
Nice. I pulled the trigger on the vsx 1130 and will be setting it up tonight in our newly finished basement. I'm really hoping they release a firmware upgrade for hdmi 2.0a at some point, but it's just additional metadata so I'm not too worried about needing new hardware.
post #52 of 640 Old 06-15-2015, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How are you guys enjoying the 1130-K? I've been looking for a new receiver to replace my VSX-822 and I've always loved the Pioneer line. And at this point I don't for see anything new coming out till next year.
post #53 of 640 Old 06-15-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Coming from an SC1222 this looks like the time to upgrade for me
True dual sub out
I suspect there is just one sub out with two connectors. My manual for the VSX-90 says this:
Quote:
If you have two subwoofers, the second subwoofer can be connected to the
SUBWOOFER 2
terminal.
Connecting two subwoofers increases the bass sound to achieve more powerful sound reproduction. In this
case, the same sound is output from the two subwoofers
I'm sure now that two subs are not treated separately by the VSX-90. During calibration, only one sub is shown and one one test tone is heard.

Greg Lee

Last edited by GregLee; 06-19-2015 at 08:59 AM.
post #54 of 640 Old 06-19-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfetew View Post
How are you guys enjoying the 1130-K? I've been looking for a new receiver to replace my VSX-822 and I've always loved the Pioneer line. And at this point I don't for see anything new coming out till next year.
I'm very happy with mine. Atmos blu-ray titles are amazing (especially the Nature import from Japan), and I use Dolby Surround upsampling for everything else (XBox games, movies). No complaints at all with the receiver.
post #55 of 640 Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove1 View Post
I agree. It's hard to imagine a receiver with 4:4:4 support and 18gbps pipelines not being able to handle HDR. The question is whether it's a hardware requirement, which they are all of course dodging. Hopefully we get an answer soon so I can pull the trigger on the 1130.
I wrote to Pioneer to ask about HDMI 2.0a, and here's the reply:

Thank you Matthew,

Your question is very appropriate to be concerned with. The VSX-1130 was completed last year and the HDMI 2.0a technology was completed this year. The unit will have the 2.0a capabilities. As far as firmware it is too early to determine if there will be anything available.

Here is link with the HDMI 2.0a release
http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=138

So far we are only dealing with HDR format on the 2.0a revisions but the technology is too new to determine where it will go.

Levon Myles
Pioneer Home Entertainment Product Support Rep
18 Park Way
Upper Saddle River,NJ 07458
post #56 of 640 Old 06-22-2015, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I wrote to Pioneer to ask about HDMI 2.0a, and here's the reply:

Thank you Matthew,

Your question is very appropriate to be concerned with. The VSX-1130 was completed last year and the HDMI 2.0a technology was completed this year. The unit will have the 2.0a capabilities. As far as firmware it is too early to determine if there will be anything available.

Here is link with the HDMI 2.0a release
http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=138

So far we are only dealing with HDR format on the 2.0a revisions but the technology is too new to determine where it will go.

Levon Myles
Pioneer Home Entertainment Product Support Rep
18 Park Way
Upper Saddle River,NJ 07458
Thanks for doing that. I'm not exactly sure how to take that, as he says that they will roll out the hdmi 2.0a update at some point and then later says he's not sure.
post #57 of 640 Old 06-22-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I'm very happy with mine. Atmos blu-ray titles are amazing (especially the Nature import from Japan), and I use Dolby Surround upsampling for everything else (XBox games, movies). No complaints at all with the receiver.
im waiting for this to be put on sale here in europe.

how does autocalibration works on this one?
are you happy with the sound after calibration?

i will probably also go with the new Atmos speakers from Pioneer with this Receiver.
anyone using them?
S-FS73A and the surround S-BS73A
post #58 of 640 Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by all clear View Post
im waiting for this to be put on sale here in europe.

how does autocalibration works on this one?
are you happy with the sound after calibration?

i will probably also go with the new Atmos speakers from Pioneer with this Receiver.
anyone using them?
S-FS73A and the surround S-BS73A
Yes, I have the elite atmos bookshelf speakers and the elite center channel speaker to go with my SVS pb2000 sub and a vsx-90(same as 1130). The combo sounds fantastic, and the amp seems to drive the speakers clearly down to -10db in a small room. I haven't tested it louder than that because I live in a condo. Anyway, I was coming from an Onkyo atmos 737 receiver with these speakers, and I really disliked it. The eq system made the bass bloated and the highs very harsh. The pioneer sounds cleaner and more detailed all around. The response is flat although slightly warmer than past pioneer receivers. Anyhow, as long as the 1130 will get an hdmi 2.0a update, this is a good combo. If not, look elsewhere for the receiver, aside from Onkyo. By the way, if you are using a sub and crossing over at 80hz, the bookshelf speakers are all you need for the mains because the towers will not give you any improvement in sound.
post #59 of 640 Old 07-05-2015, 07:43 AM

As written by scoobdude; Read through the vsx90 and vsx1130 and neither have any video processing. Looks like they no longer have the qdeo video processor or on-board video editing other than upscaleing.

Where did you read this?
from the Pioneers eu uk products page for VSX 930,I was reading this;
this AV receiver is ready to pass through 4K Ultra HD video signals to a compatible display. It even upscales lower resolution signals into 4K Ultra HD (up to 60p), allowing you to enjoy the highest quality picture available today.
post #60 of 640 Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

There is no video processing as in contrast, brightness etc as provided by the qdeo chip .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bugs , firmware update , VSX-1130

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page