New Pioneer VSX-1130 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #61 of 641 Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the info, it's put the brakes on me buying the 930.

At present I have an Onkyo NR875 which upscales SD to 1080 and I don't think I could go backwards to a non-processing receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 641 Old 07-05-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I've had the VSX-90 for several weeks now. I like it. Here are notes about things mentioned above:

• I never got internet update to work. I got in touch with the server, but nothing got downloaded. I used a USB stick to get the update.
  • I was very unhappy with the quality of video passthrough of 1080i from my satellite receiver, using the AVR's first HDMI out port. But I switched to the second HDMI out port, and now the video looks okay. (However, ARC works only through HDMI-out-1.)
  • I have 3 4-ohm speakers in front, and the VSX-90 seems to have no more difficulty with them than my previous SC-1522 had.
  • Room calibration is all automated -- just set up the mike and plug it in. (There are fancier things you can do, also, but I haven't tried anything else, yet.)
  • Atmos mode is automatic with an Atmos source, though the first time I used it I had to fiddle with the "auto" button to get it to kick in.
  • Dolby PLII is gone -- superceded by Dolby Surround mode.

Greg Lee
post #63 of 641 Old 07-11-2015, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By chance is anyone using this receiver with a Harmony remote? Are there discrete codes for every input if so? I have(well had since it died on me today) a VSX-1123 that was a bit of a mess to use with my Harmony One without a bunch of trickery to hit many of the HDMI ports. I am curious if they(Harmony or Pioneer) worked this out as the years went on or if I'll have to do another setup like I currently have with the remote forcing the receiver to cycle back and forth through inputs to reach the one I actually want again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 641 Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I use a Harmony 650 with the VSX-1130, and during remote setup the Harmony software seemed to have every button and input available for assignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks View Post
By chance is anyone using this receiver with a Harmony remote? Are there discrete codes for every input if so? I have(well had since it died on me today) a VSX-1123 that was a bit of a mess to use with my Harmony One without a bunch of trickery to hit many of the HDMI ports. I am curious if they(Harmony or Pioneer) worked this out as the years went on or if I'll have to do another setup like I currently have with the remote forcing the receiver to cycle back and forth through inputs to reach the one I actually want again.
post #65 of 641 Old 07-27-2015, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks View Post
By chance is anyone using this receiver with a Harmony remote? Are there discrete codes for every input if so?
I use this with a Harmony Smart Control and it has discrete codes for every input, HDMI1-6, BR, SAT/CBL, Tuner, including Bluetooth Audio, etc. I don't know if it has every single one of the "Media Server", "Pandora", "Spotify".

This receiver is pretty bonkers though. I've only had it a few days and I'm on the verge of returning it.

I've used the same HDMI cable to connect my Samsung Bluray player to my old Onkyo receiver for years (a 24AWG 2ft monoprice cable) but using the same cable on this Pioneer, watching Skyfall the connection just drops and I get no sound/no picture every 8-10 minutes. Switching inputs and switching back doesn't help. Plugging and unplugging the cable a couple of times brings it back. I changed to an "amazon basics high speed HDMI 3ft" cable and it seemed to work for a couple of hours but I am skeptical of why the same data that has passed through that cable before suddenly doesn't work, and with no indication from the unit as to any error.

The web-based setup wizard for configuring the inputs is the worst. You have to go through a 30 step "Tell me all the things you have and I'll tell you where to plug them in". No, thanks, the cables won't fit the way you want them to go. Can I just map them myself with some nice dropdowns or something? "No." The HDMI ports on the back are: HDMI1, BR, HDMI2, HDMI3, HDMI4, HDMI6. HDMI5 is on the front, and why the heck is BR it's own thing? In addition to the HDMI1-6 inputs, there's also SAT/CBL and DVD which you can map to HDMI1-6, but then the HDMIx button for that doesn't work any more, you have to use the SAT/CBL or DVD button. That's unintuitive but not a deal breaker, however I've lost my input setup twice on losing power to the device (I use one of those "green" outlets that cuts the power when the TV is off). It seems to be sticking now but I am skeptical of it.

The OSD overlay is way under-utilized. Every setting is reduced to a 4 or 5 character abbreviation and squeezed into a tiny space. "VSTP->POSR" what the heck does that mean? Is up/down arrow changing what setting I am changing, or is it changing the option for this setting? Same thing with left and right!

Finally, and this is the final nail in the coffin, blacks aren't black any more. There's not supposed to be any video processing turned on, or at least that I can tell. I have VIDSC->PURE which I am not sure if that means like "don't change the video at all" or "Enhance video with a fancy algorithm called 'Pure' which messes up black levels".

Wow I was just going to post about the IR codes, but I seem to have gotten off topic. Now that I've typed that all out I've realized just how many things are wrong with this receiver. I'm pretty sure I'll be returning it.

Last edited by CapnBry; 07-28-2015 at 05:07 AM.
post #66 of 641 Old 08-09-2015, 05:34 AM

As a followup, the Pioneer VSX-1130 became the first A/V component I've ever returned. I'm a little picky about my gear but I do a lot of research and am generally pretty happy with what I end up purchasing. Sure, maybe some components in my 20 year history of home theater haven't been the absolute best, but everything has its flaws right?

The final nail in the coffin was just that the sound wasn't that great. Even after doing the setup it just didn't sound very good, especially with 2.0 dolby surround input which tons of non-prime-time programs still use. It also seemed that it would switch to plain stereo on its own every time it power cycled.

I ended up getting a Onkyo TX-NR646 and it's great. Sounds great right out of the box, keeps its settings through power cycles, has a OSD that's not 3 letters long, blacks are back to being black, oh and guess what my HDMI cable that kept dropping out with the Pionner works perfectly again playing the same content.
post #67 of 641 Old 08-09-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBry View Post
Finally, and this is the final nail in the coffin, blacks aren't black any more.
I have the VSX-90, which I am happy with. But I did have a problem with degradation of video until I moved HDMI output to the TV from the first HDMI output port to the second HDMI output port.

Greg Lee
post #68 of 641 Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Every time I change channels on my DirecTv box the 1130 defaults to stereo sound. Is there a way to have the 1130 default to a surround sound mode instead?
post #69 of 641 Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I've had the VSX-90 for several weeks now. I like it. Here are notes about things mentioned above:

• I never got internet update to work. I got in touch with the server, but nothing got downloaded. I used a USB stick to get the update.
  • I was very unhappy with the quality of video passthrough of 1080i from my satellite receiver, using the AVR's first HDMI out port. But I switched to the second HDMI out port, and now the video looks okay. (However, ARC works only through HDMI-out-1.)
  • I have 3 4-ohm speakers in front, and the VSX-90 seems to have no more difficulty with them than my previous SC-1522 had.
  • Room calibration is all automated -- just set up the mike and plug it in. (There are fancier things you can do, also, but I haven't tried anything else, yet.)
  • Atmos mode is automatic with an Atmos source, though the first time I used it I had to fiddle with the "auto" button to get it to kick in.
  • Dolby PLII is gone -- superceded by Dolby Surround mode.
Hey Greg,

Just curious, what speakers are up front for you? Do you have the pioneer atmos elite speakers? Those are what I have, and I'm not sure if my current vsx-90 will fit the build. I'm running full 7.1 in a bedroom with an 80hz crossover. My rear speakers are 85db 8 ohm speakers. Right now, the receiver seems to play fine down to -10db. I ran mcacc as well. However, I plan on buying a house next summer, and will be putting my system in a larger room. I am debating whether I need to get an sc-91 or sc-95 (when it releases) to get more power. Will the elite speakers fall flat with the vsx-90? Please tell me more about your setup, volume preferences, and room size if you can, so I could figure this out. Thanks
post #70 of 641 Old 09-01-2015, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can someone tell me how the multi-zone works on this amp? For my situation thats the primary feature.

Does the hdzone allow for ANY source digital or analog to be played independently of the main zone?

Does the hdzone send video and audio over hdmi and at the same time amplified audio over speaker wires on the same zone? (I want to have the option for tv speakers or in ceiling speakers on hdzone)
post #71 of 641 Old 09-03-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I cant seem to find this info, but on the 1130-k, are all the HDMI inputs rated at hdcp 2.2?

I'm comparing to the Yamaha RX-679.. which has three of them 2.2..

Overall.. curious.. has anyone gone from a yamaha to this model.. is it worth going for this one over the yamaha 679? I previously had a Denon 1912..

I mainly thought of this model as being attractive due to Atmos.. however i dont think it supports a 7.1.4 type config correct (have to lose the 2 rear), is atmos that much better.. and in general is this receiver that much better than say a yamaha sound wise for movies/tv?

The cost differential could be as much as $110 saved on this .. anyone have any experience buying from east coast tvs.. they list it at 485..

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
post #72 of 641 Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiew View Post
Every time I change channels on my DirecTv box the 1130 defaults to stereo sound. Is there a way to have the 1130 default to a surround sound mode instead?
I just got the 1130k.. I'm running into this as well.. i'm not sure what the equivalent to pro logic EX is either, though it seems to me, if you just hit the surround toggle button on the remote and choose surround (instead of say ext stereo etc).. it emulates surround on 2 channel sources and does in fact hit all 7.1 speakers..

I swear that it lost this setting too at one point, defaulting back to stereo.. i just ran the updated firmware last nite, so ill double check this this evening.

So is the "surround" mode that shows on the receiver.. the equivalent of dolby pro log plx ex or similar (all 7.1 speakers spread to)..

I ran the default MCCAC setup (the pro one) and it seemed to set the subwoofer to MINUS 11 db's.. seems that for my velodyne with crossover set to 80 (and using htib onkyo speakers) that a value more like 6.5-7db (plus) was appropriate..

Is it recommended to actually turn the volume all the way DOWN on the subwoofer during calibration, despite it saying to "turn it up" (it didnt say full up though).?

I compared the sound to the yamaha 579, which i had mostly calibrated previously.. i couldnt find a huge difference in sound, except for maybe bass reproduction.. happier with the bang for the dollar in this pioneer i think.. however..

Center channel dialogue seems harder to hear, but then again, i didnt fully finish testing the 579, so bass levels being higher and finalized may be to blame here (my old denon 1912 had a similar issue).. so ill be experimenting killing the bass/cranking center channel or buying a better center channel (and left right speakers eventually if so).

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #73 of 641 Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang1993 View Post
I recently purchased the VSX-1124 back in January. I went through what appears the same thing that you are going through. I have a similar set up utilizing my Xbox One. I love the convenience of running the DVR through the Xbox. Anyway, I discovered that I had to utilize pass through for the video. Using the processor from the receiver completely crushed the image and every thing appeared to be gray. Darks were not. I am not sure if you have done this or not, but do not let the receiver process the image. I would of thought that it would do wonders as it has the same video processor as the Oppo Blu Ray players. Hope this helps.
To fix the darks being grey and crushed.. all i had to do for my M70-c3 + VSX-1130 setup (with the latest firmwares) was to set the X1 to RGB, instant success for me at least.

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #74 of 641 Old 09-09-2015, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
To fix the darks being grey and crushed.. all i had to do for my M70-c3 + VSX-1130 setup (with the latest firmwares) was to set the X1 to RGB, instant success for me at least.
I did the same, setting Xbone to RGB. Then I A/B compared test patterns and video clips on the Xbone and my Sony blu-ray player (which is set and calibrated to YCbCr), both hooked up to the VSX-1130 on different hdmi ports, and they looked identical.
post #75 of 641 Old 09-10-2015, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New firmware update available. Notes say it enables HDR. Hurray!
MatthewTyson likes this.
post #76 of 641 Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm definitely seeing a problem with modes on this receiver (i think), as mentioned by someone on here previously..

Lets say you are watching a 2 channel source.. you hit the surround button till the receiver says "surround".. ok no problem so far..

Switch to a bluray movie in DTS-HD.. the mode becomes EXT Stereo and doesnt say Surround much less DTS-HD.. (this on a HTPC)..

So i find myself needing to toggle the "Auto surround" back to On, so now the readout says DTS-HD as it should.
I would have thought it would have remained "Surround" and still been DTS-HD, but it seems if you switch it to "Surround" for stereo sources then switch, it doesnt change automatically..

I'm still unclear if "surround" is Pro Logic IIx or not either.

And what is EXT Stereo? ("Gives multichannel sound to stereo sources").. how does it differ from "Surround" or auto surround..

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #77 of 641 Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Is there a difference between the MCACC on this model vs the more expensive pioneer receiver models?
post #78 of 641 Old 10-07-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase this one as the 1024k that I bought in January is nothing more than a doorstop.
I have the new 4k Firetv box and a C61k from DirecTv neither of which can be routed through the 1024k due to the 2.2 hdcp limitation.

Bastards!!

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #79 of 641 Old 10-07-2015, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Also, what's the difference between this unit and the VSX-90?
post #80 of 641 Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Also, what's the difference between this unit and the VSX-90?

Vsx 90 has bells and whistles of an elite badge ie, amber display, two year warranty, zone 2 pre out, rs232 port, removable power cord, trigger out, and web interface, all of those are features are needed for custom home installation.
post #81 of 641 Old 10-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 141
WOOT has this receiver on sale today for 429.99
post #82 of 641 Old 10-31-2015, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 20
post #83 of 641 Old 10-31-2015, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddtx View Post
woot has this receiver on sale today for 429.99
bam!! :d

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #84 of 641 Old 11-05-2015, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Sorry for my english, i bought a pioneer VSX-1130-K receiver and my question was: can i leave all the speakers connected to it? so i can have 7.1 config for some movies and for other movies with atmos a 5.1.2 config?
post #85 of 641 Old 11-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question Just received this receiver

Just received this receiver. I'm wondering if it will see the tv's built in speakers as the front speakers for calibration purposes? The tv is a Sony xbr65c930c.

Thanks for any info.

Ed
post #86 of 641 Old 11-05-2015, 04:27 PM

Actually a Sony xbr65X930c. oops.

Ed
post #87 of 641 Old 11-05-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elknimrod View Post
Just received this receiver. I'm wondering if it will see the tv's built in speakers as the front speakers for calibration purposes? The tv is a Sony xbr65c930c.

Thanks for any info.

Ed

No it will not.
post #88 of 641 Old 11-06-2015, 05:01 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
No it will not.
Do you have a suggestion for a receiver that will allow the tv's speakers to be used as the front pair in a 5.2 surround configuration?

Thanks,

Ed
post #89 of 641 Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elknimrod View Post
Do you have a suggestion for a receiver that will allow the tv's speakers to be used as the front pair in a 5.2 surround configuration?

Thanks,

Ed

I dont think such receiver exists. Are you using front speakers and you tv speakers to be use as additional fronts? I dont think think that possible at all. Im sure avs veterans will correct me if im wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #90 of 641 Old 11-06-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
I dont think such receiver exists. Are you using front speakers and you tv speakers to be use as additional fronts? I dont think think that possible at all. Im sure avs veterans will correct me if im wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i am only using the tv speakers as the front speakers, no additional front speakers. They are arguably the best tv speakers to come out.

Thanks,

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bugs , firmware update , VSX-1130

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page