New Pioneer VSX-1130 - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #211 of 645 Old 12-12-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
"Play as Atmos" doesn't exist. Atmos and Dolby Surround are different from each other. Atmos is a sound format whereas Dolby Surround is an upmixer similar to Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo:X.
do you understand what I mean, or do you want to argue definitions. for the future, I'm NEVER going to be talking about dolby surround because it does not work with an atmos source. ie, perma-off(except when it 'automatically' comes on under the 'auto' surround function)

clearly 'play as atmos' means 'play as if it's an atmos signal' which is why it's not working correctly. if it were upmixing, then we wouldn't be losing the SB channels, in theory. now, I realize that it HAS to now the difference between a channel bases and object based sound source, I'm just trying to describe the behavior. I thought I did that clearly the first time, but 7 or 8 posts later I still get quoted and misunderstood, so I try re-explaining in a new way. there's only so many ways I can explain 'correctly' before I start blurring some lines/definitions.

anyway, I have nothing further to contribute to this thread I guess. the receiver has issues when SB/TMD is on, so select SB on, or TMD on manually and move on I guess.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 645 Old 12-15-2015, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So, off topic, but for those who are closer to the rumor mill than me, is there any indication, or even vaguely founded hope, that Pioneer will eventually roll out a firmware upgrade to make the 1130 DTS:X compatible? The other brands' mid-range 2015s appear to be either adding it or planning to add it soon. So far I'm pleased with my 1130, just beginning to wonder/worry that I should have gone with Denon 910 or Onkyo 646 for just a few bucks more, and been future-proof.

The best news would be to tell me that, yes, the 1130 is expected to get DTS:X someday. But if you can't give me that, I welcome any input as to why my purchase is nonetheless better than those two machines, so I can stop beating myself up

Cheers
Shane
post #213 of 645 Old 12-15-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I dont think DTS X is coming to 1130 or to my vsx90 as it was never advertised as a feature. I for one, don't rally care for DTS X as i dont intend to have a ton of speakers that DTS X will allegedly need. Read up on DTS X, it is isnt all that for traditional 5.2 or 7.2 set ups.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 645 Old 12-16-2015, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstix View Post
Figured I would post this here as well. Just in case some one knows the fix before Pioneer gets back to me:

Just got the Pioneer VSX-1130 to replace an existing Pioneer VSX-94TXH and attempted to set it up last night.

I was disappointed from the application based set-up. It required that I connect the receiver to the internet before it could control it. Since I don't have a hardline connection, that required putting in my password using the on-screen guide and it was terrible using only the receiver's remote. The password screen showed a keyboard but it made me go up and down one letter at a time cycling first through the alphabet in all caps to get to my password which is all lower case for simplicity. I really hope I just missed a step because it was dreadful. You can see how behind they are on their menus still.

Once I got it up and running, though, more bad news. I connected an Xbox One and WD TV Live and I was getting improper black levels. Both devices were working with the old receiver with the Xbox set to Standard RGB TV (Recommended) black levels and the WD with the 1080p/60hz RGB Low options. With the 1130 and those settings the picture was very washed out. I changed the Xbox to RGB PC Levels and the gray turned back to black but some of the picture was noticeably crushed. I even did the Xbox's built in test patterns to confirm that the "shut eye" and the "white sun" were not coming through the signal.

I started to blame my equipment at first since I have an older Samsung D8000 Plasma. I tried changing the black level from Low (16-235) to Normal (0-255) but that made it gray again. I thought it might be my cables since the new receiver is 4K and it might not "like" the older HDMI's I had been using with the older Pioneer so I went out and got some basic 4K compatible 18+gbps cables from best buy. Running them temporarily outside the wall (wires everywhere!) made no change. Since the cables were there I ran the Xbox directly to the TV and sure enough, with the Standard setting it looked awesome again.

Last night there was not an update available and to my surprise there was one today. I really hoped it would fix the issue, and it did take quite a while, but it made no changes that I noticed.

I tried calling Pioneer support at around 11:30 a.m. but the line just kept ringing. I selected the "call me back" option but no one got back to me. I also e-mailed them and have not received a response yet. I would like to think that it is maybe an internal issue and hopefully I just got a dud. Because of how long I have been waiting to change out receivers and how happy I have been with my 94TXH, I will give them a chance to fix the issue or recommended exchanging it. If not though, I will have to return it and wait for the Sony 1060 that should be hitting stores soon.
I had exactly the same issue with my VSX-45 and returned it because of this.
Did you get any word from Pioneer support?
I contacted them but no response
post #215 of 645 Old 12-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtoh View Post

Same issue on my new VSX-1130
Noticed it right away.
Had to turn down the Brightness control on my Sony TV to remove the washed out look but that is just a temporary band-aid fix.
Shouldn't have to make any adjustments to components if the video is just being passed through.
I did not have this problem with my VSX-82TXS
post #216 of 645 Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtoh View Post
I did not hear anything back from them. I returned the receiver and bought the Sony 1060 instead. I miss being able to process surround signals like my old 94-txh but other than that its nice. Way prettier menus than the pioneer but you use them so seldom, its not that big a deal really. Improper black level output on the other hand, very big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post
Same issue on my new VSX-1130
Noticed it right away.
Had to turn down the Brightness control on my Sony TV to remove the washed out look but that is just a temporary band-aid fix.
Shouldn't have to make any adjustments to components if the video is just being passed through.
I did not have this problem with my VSX-82TXS
I played with my brightness settings as well. It is at best temporary as I noticed with the Xbox that although I could "even out" the black levels, the receiver was actually crushing the detail. Which means its not displaying it properly even if it kind of looks right.

You are right, it should just pass the signal through, but that's where it seemed to be messed up. I wonder how many others are out there with the same problem that don't have as trained an eye and don't even notice their screen is washed out. I can't imagine its just 3 receivers that had this issue, lol.
post #217 of 645 Old 12-17-2015, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstix View Post
I did not hear anything back from them. I returned the receiver and bought the Sony 1060 instead. I miss being able to process surround signals like my old 94-txh but other than that its nice. Way prettier menus than the pioneer but you use them so seldom, its not that big a deal really. Improper black level output on the other hand, very big deal.

I played with my brightness settings as well. It is at best temporary as I noticed with the Xbox that although I could "even out" the black levels, the receiver was actually crushing the detail. Which means its not displaying it properly even if it kind of looks right.

You are right, it should just pass the signal through, but that's where it seemed to be messed up. I wonder how many others are out there with the same problem that don't have as trained an eye and don't even notice their screen is washed out. I can't imagine its just 3 receivers that had this issue, lol.
Hows 1060 working out?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #218 of 645 Old 12-19-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To everyone who is having grey blacks, try this, turn off the receiver , then while holding enter button press power button, menus will appear on the screen, there you can select 4k 4:4:4. I did this and my blacks are black as far as 1080p goes.

I know the setting is for 4k but it made a difference in my case. For some reason, 4:2:2 is on by default from pioneer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steelman99 likes this.
post #219 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
To everyone who is having grey blacks, try this, turn off the receiver , then while holding enter button press power button, menus will appear on the screen, there you can select 4k 4:4:4. I did this and my blacks are black as far as 1080p goes.

I know the setting is for 4k but it made a difference in my case. For some reason, 4:2:2 is on by default from pioneer.

Yep I think it works. Having to use ARC and Anynet was driving me up the wall. Thanks!

To clarify you have to push the powerbutton a few times to get to the 4k 4:4:4 setting.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #220 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Tried this, did not help
post #221 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm coming from an 1121k. Outside of the built in wifi/4k and Atmos stuff do you guys think this will be as good or better then the 1121? Seems lighter and no preouts although I don't use themy anyway. My hdmi board is finicky.
post #222 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Woot has this on sale for $379.99, is that a good deal? http://electronics.woot.com/offers/p...t_gw_dly_wobtn

It says the following:
The HDZone output feature of the VSX-1130-K allows you to simultaneously enjoy different HDMI sources in multiple rooms. So you can watch a Blu-ray movie in the main room, while someone else is watching another HDMI Source (Roku, Cable, etc.) in another--all conveniently managed by the remote control or iOS/Android application iControlAV5.

Is it true I can use an HDMI source for Zone2, most receivers I seen only allow Analog for Zone 2.

Thanks
post #223 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by elloco07 View Post
Woot has this on sale for $379.99, is that a good deal? http://electronics.woot.com/offers/p...t_gw_dly_wobtn

It says the following:
The HDZone output feature of the VSX-1130-K allows you to simultaneously enjoy different HDMI sources in multiple rooms. So you can watch a Blu-ray movie in the main room, while someone else is watching another HDMI Source (Roku, Cable, etc.) in another--all conveniently managed by the remote control or iOS/Android application iControlAV5.

Is it true I can use an HDMI source for Zone2, most receivers I seen only allow Analog for Zone 2.

Thanks
That's why I'm wondering if it's a big enough upgrade from the 1121k I have. In terms of performance mainly.
post #224 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys... i´m having trouble choosing between the VSX-1130 or the Onkyo TX-NR646.

which one should i choose? :S
post #225 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by elloco07 View Post

It says the following:

Thanks
See page 10 of the owner's manual:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...G+INSTRUCTIONS
I have a VSX-1124 and it will "allow you to simultaneously enjoy different HDMI sources in multiple rooms" but through the HDZone, not Zone 2. For sound, you'll get 2.0 stereo with the HDZone.
post #226 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anybody else confirm modifying the 4k settings fixes the gray rgb issue?
I am now feeling sick about selling my 1124 to get the 1130.
post #227 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 803
I have a vsx 45, how do you change to 4:4:4?
post #228 of 645 Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
I have a vsx 45, how do you change to 4:4:4?

Turn off, hold enter button them press on button, a menu will appear, use direction buttons to get to 4:2:2 setting, change to 4:4:4.

post #229 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuva21 View Post
So, off topic, but for those who are closer to the rumor mill than me, is there any indication, or even vaguely founded hope, that Pioneer will eventually roll out a firmware upgrade to make the 1130 DTS:X compatible? The other brands' mid-range 2015s appear to be either adding it or planning to add it soon. So far I'm pleased with my 1130, just beginning to wonder/worry that I should have gone with Denon 910 or Onkyo 646 for just a few bucks more, and been future-proof.

The best news would be to tell me that, yes, the 1130 is expected to get DTS:X someday. But if you can't give me that, I welcome any input as to why my purchase is nonetheless better than those two machines, so I can stop beating myself up

Cheers
Shane
i can only speak for myself, but at the time of decision, i figured by the time dts-x was popular, all these receivers would be missing something important anyway, so 'future-proofing' was a fruitless effort. after having this receiver for a few weeks, and playing around with atmos, i don't believe any 7ch receiver to be 'adequate' for these next gen audio formats. 5.2.2 or whatever the equivalent dts-x format will be, is hardly worth the upgrade over 7.2. so if you're REALLY worried about those formats, you should probably be planning for at least a 9ch, if not 11ch receiver. from everything i've read, 5.2.4 seems to be the 'price of admission' if you want full on atmos. I hope to run 7.2.4 personally(maybe pioneer will release a non-elite version of the sc-95 and charge us canucks 3grand for it...). i don't see why dts-x would be any different

so for me, even though it appears dts-x will be a hardware upgrade away, i feel that would still be the case with any other 7ch receiver. and based on what's out today, i'm very happy with the function and performance on the pioneer. they just seem to always find a way to squeeze a little bit more per dollar than the competition in all the areas that matter most to me.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #230 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i can only speak for myself, but at the time of decision, i figured by the time dts-x was popular, all these receivers would be missing something important anyway, so 'future-proofing' was a fruitless effort. after having this receiver for a few weeks, and playing around with atmos, i don't believe any 7ch receiver to be 'adequate' for these next gen audio formats. 5.2.2 or whatever the equivalent dts-x format will be, is hardly worth the upgrade over 7.2. so if you're REALLY worried about those formats, you should probably be planning for at least a 9ch, if not 11ch receiver. from everything i've read, 5.2.4 seems to be the 'price of admission' if you want full on atmos. I hope to run 7.2.4 personally(maybe pioneer will release a non-elite version of the sc-95 and charge us canucks 3grand for it...). i don't see why dts-x would be any different

so for me, even though it appears dts-x will be a hardware upgrade away, i feel that would still be the case with any other 7ch receiver. and based on what's out today, i'm very happy with the function and performance on the pioneer. they just seem to always find a way to squeeze a little bit more per dollar than the competition in all the areas that matter most to me.

I agree, atmos and dts x on 7 ch receivers is next to useless, more like marketing gimmicks

post #231 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Starting to really regret selling my 1124k. Changing the color space setting did nothing. Darn pioneer.
post #232 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I have noticed no issues with the blacks and my receiver. I am not running it to a 4k TV.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #233 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 03:12 PM

Neither am I. 1080p plasma. Colors no longer have punch. I wish it would leave my signal alone. Only thing I did that helped is setting rgb low on my tv and projector. Perfect example and what I have been testing with is a firestick. Run it through any input and than hook it up direct. You will see a difference. I never had this wroth my 1124k. I should not have dreamt of hdcp 2.2 or I never would have sold it. Never touched rgb settings in my life until today.
post #234 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I actually like what's it's done in terms of picture. I'm also running an older Samsung led dlp

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #235 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 04:20 PM

I am surprised eddysnake. DLP have good contrast too and on a cheaper LCD screen would likely not be as noticeable.
The fact is it should do nothing to the picture and simply act as a matrix box and pass-through.
I wish I could unsell my 1124k. Had no issue.
Ug upgrade regrets.
Does not feel like an upgrade.
I confirm this happens with a fire tv and a TWC arris cable box.
I have emailed Pioneer and will likely call tomorrow.
If you look at the pic connected even on pass-through and than hook the device up direct you can see what happens.
I am rambling now and am upset.
Never had to play with RGB in my life and now am a mini-expert.

Last edited by heftysmurf; 12-21-2015 at 05:38 PM.
post #236 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by heftysmurf View Post
I am surprised eddysnake. DLP have good contrast too and on a cheaper LCD screen would likely not be as noticeable.
The fact is it should do nothing to the picture and simply act as a matrix box and pass-through.
I wish I could unsell my 1124k. Had no issue.
Ug upgrade regrets.
Does not feel like an upgrade.
I confirm this happens with a fire tv and a TWC arris cable box.
I have emailed Pioneer and will likely call tomorrow.
If you look at the pic connected even on pass-through and than hook the device up direct you can see what happens.
I am rambling now and am upset.
Never had to play with RGB in my life and now am a mini-expert.
nohcho's instructions fixed my HDMI issues, but I did have to recalibrate my TV after though.

Pioneer's support had been hard to get a hold of for me. Let us know if you are successful. I don't think this receiver is such a disaster as other poster's are letting you believe. There is a bit of learning curve though.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #237 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
nohcho's instructions fixed my HDMI issues, but I did have to recalibrate my TV after though.

Pioneer's support had been hard to get a hold of for me. Let us know if you are successful. I don't think this receiver is such a disaster as other poster's are letting you believe. There is a bit of learning curve though.
You may be right.

Here is the thing to me. I had (and now miss) the 1124k. The qdeo processor sucked on it so I disabled it. Perfect picture.

With the 1130k I have had to mess with rgb on both my plasma and lcd projector to get an OK picture and it has no processor.

I ended up calling Pioneer and was escalated. Engineers were gone for the day. I knew more than tech and he admitted he was Onkyo.

Said he would call back Wednesday. I am not waiting and calling when they open.

My end game is getting a firmware that gets the thing to stop processing the video.

If anybody else can call it would help.

Call early. I waited 40 minutes for an answer.
post #238 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New Pioneer VSX-1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by heftysmurf View Post
You may be right.

Here is the thing to me. I had (and now miss) the 1124k. The qdeo processor sucked on it so I disabled it. Perfect picture.

With the 1130k I have had to mess with rgb on both my plasma and lcd projector to get an OK picture and it has no processor.

I ended up calling Pioneer and was escalated. Engineers were gone for the day. I knew more than tech and he admitted he was Onkyo.

Said he would call back Wednesday. I am not waiting and calling when they open.

My end game is getting a firmware that gets the thing to stop processing the video.

If anybody else can call it would help.

Call early. I waited 40 minutes for an answer.

It may not necessarily be processing the image but when the signal goes through the components, theres is some alteration at play which is more evident on your unit.

Remember, even when unit is not processing the image, signal still goes through the components. When you introduce a device to the chain, there is going to be an effect on the signal, it is more pronounced on your units thna others.

post #239 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
It may not necessarily be processing the image but when the signal goes through the components, theres is some alteration at play which is more evident on your unit.

Remember, even when unit is not processing the image, signal still goes through the components. When you introduce a device to the chain, there is going to be an effect on the signal, it is more pronounced on your units thna others.

On the 1124k no problem. Still sick I "upgraded".

Until two days ago I never knew what rgb even was at the level I know now.

I wish it was my TV but it is not. Projector is worse and way less settings to play with to try to help.

I have a matrix box I used back in the day that does nothing to the image.

I wish I could show you.

Anybody know any 500 or less avrs that allow two independent hdmi zones?

I am frustrated and hope I can get Pioneer (onkyo) to fix this issue.
post #240 of 645 Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Like i said, there may be something wrong with you avr, can you exchange for another one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bugs , firmware update , VSX-1130

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page