Sony STR-ZA1000ES - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony STR-ZA1000ES

I just had the Sony STR-ZA1000ES 4K receiver delivered early this week. Worked great with good sound for about 4 days and then abruptly it failed yesterday.

First symptoms were the receiver would not switch input sources. Although the display panel showed it had moved from one input source to another, the signal shown on my TV was from the wrong input. Went through all settings to make sure I did not misconfigure something but nothing I did would switch the input source. And again note the front panel display of the receiver showed it was "switching" the input source.

I turned the receiver off and unplugged the power cable for about 30 seconds, then plugged it back in. Now I was getting absolutely no video. The receiver was on, the front panel display showed it was responding to remote control inputs, and it was switching from one input source to another, but my TV was not detecting any input data coming from the receiver (ie. it was showing the no source input detected message).

I again turned the receiver off and unplugged the power cable for 30 seconds. Plugged it back in and this time I got video/audio feed coming from the receiver and it was correctly switching between input sources BUT now I had strange box and circle artifacts all over the TV screen. Random pixels were turning on and off. Switching input sources showed the same boxes/circles (unchanged) so it looks like the HDMI output feed is being corrupted.

At this point I removed the Sony STR-ZA1000ES and I swapped it with my trusty Onkyo and everything worked great. Ruled out my input sources and my TV. Switched back to the Sony STR-ZA1000ES and same problem. Random boxes/circles all over the screen.

I checked the firmware on the Sony and it said it was on 1.033. I went to the Sony website and saw there was a newer firmware (1.050) and the release notes stated it improved HDMI stability. So I downloaded the firmware onto a USB stick and followed the directions on updating the firmware.

The receiver display showed "UPDATING... 33%" ... slowly increased in 3% increments (36%, 39%, 42%, 45%, etc...) taking forever. About 30 minutes later got to 78%.. at which point I hear the "click" inside the receiver -- same click you normally hear from receivers when you turn the power on -- and the display changes to "UPDATING.... FINAL PROCESSING". And then it's stuck there. Given the rest of the update took forever, I decided to just leave it alone heeding the warnings on the firmware upgrade instructions saying not to turn the power off until the unit restarts itself after update. Left it on overnight and in the morning, still stuck with "UPDATING.... FINAL PROCESSING". No chance it's still updating after 8 hours. So I unplug the unit and let it sit for 60 seconds and plug it back in.

Display then automatically says "UPDATING.... 0%".. then jumps to the main screen but no buttons respond and the display changes to "UPDATE FAILED. PLEASE INSERT USB AND PRESS POWER BUTTON TO RESTART". So I plug the USB stick back in, push the power button to restart. The unit restarts and begins updating again. 33%, 36%, 39%, 42%... all the way to 78% and then stuck on "UPDATING.... FINAL PROCESSING". And stuck there again for the past 5 hours.

Looks like the unit is bricked. Called Sony support but apparently the STR-ZA1000ES requires the pro support and they are closed until Monday. Hoping they have some solution over the phone otherwise it looks like it's going to be an RMA.

Anyone else seen this?

For the 4 days it was working, the sound was pretty good. I was surprised. But it's dead now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 183
That blows... good luck.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktv8 View Post
I just had the Sony STR-ZA1000ES 4K receiver delivered early this week. Worked great with good sound for about 4 days and then abruptly it failed yesterday.

First symptoms were the receiver would not switch input sources. Although the display panel showed it had moved from one input source to another, the signal shown on my TV was from the wrong input. Went through all settings to make sure I did not misconfigure something but nothing I did would switch the input source. And again note the front panel display of the receiver showed it was "switching" the input source.

I turned the receiver off and unplugged the power cable for about 30 seconds, then plugged it back in. Now I was getting absolutely no video. The receiver was on, the front panel display showed it was responding to remote control inputs, and it was switching from one input source to another, but my TV was not detecting any input data coming from the receiver (ie. it was showing the no source input detected message).

I again turned the receiver off and unplugged the power cable for 30 seconds. Plugged it back in and this time I got video/audio feed coming from the receiver and it was correctly switching between input sources BUT now I had strange box and circle artifacts all over the TV screen. Random pixels were turning on and off. Switching input sources showed the same boxes/circles (unchanged) so it looks like the HDMI output feed is being corrupted.

At this point I removed the Sony STR-ZA1000ES and I swapped it with my trusty Onkyo and everything worked great. Ruled out my input sources and my TV. Switched back to the Sony STR-ZA1000ES and same problem. Random boxes/circles all over the screen.

I checked the firmware on the Sony and it said it was on 1.033. I went to the Sony website and saw there was a newer firmware (1.050) and the release notes stated it improved HDMI stability. So I downloaded the firmware onto a USB stick and followed the directions on updating the firmware.

The receiver display showed "UPDATING... 33%" ... slowly increased in 3% increments (36%, 39%, 42%, 45%, etc...) taking forever. About 30 minutes later got to 78%.. at which point I hear the "click" inside the receiver -- same click you normally hear from receivers when you turn the power on -- and the display changes to "UPDATING.... FINAL PROCESSING". And then it's stuck there. Given the rest of the update took forever, I decided to just leave it alone heeding the warnings on the firmware upgrade instructions saying not to turn the power off until the unit restarts itself after update. Left it on overnight and in the morning, still stuck with "UPDATING.... FINAL PROCESSING". No chance it's still updating after 8 hours. So I unplug the unit and let it sit for 60 seconds and plug it back in.

Display then automatically says "UPDATING.... 0%".. then jumps to the main screen but no buttons respond and the display changes to "UPDATE FAILED. PLEASE INSERT USB AND PRESS POWER BUTTON TO RESTART". So I plug the USB stick back in, push the power button to restart. The unit restarts and begins updating again. 33%, 36%, 39%, 42%... all the way to 78% and then stuck on "UPDATING.... FINAL PROCESSING". And stuck there again for the past 5 hours.

Looks like the unit is bricked. Called Sony support but apparently the STR-ZA1000ES requires the pro support and they are closed until Monday. Hoping they have some solution over the phone otherwise it looks like it's going to be an RMA.

Anyone else seen this?

For the 4 days it was working, the sound was pretty good. I was surprised. But it's dead now.
Did you ever get a response from Sony? I just ordered one ZA1000ES the other day. I pray mine is fine, especially since I live overseas. Mine should come with the new firmware loaded. ES are supposed to be very reliable, but anything is possible. I know some one who bought a bad Toyota. Monoprice has them on sale for $599.99. Couldn't pass up the deal.
It's 30 March 2019, still loving my Sony ES. Has never given me any problems. The sound is very nice. Don't need or care for ATMOS at the moment, no compaints. Purrchased a SVS SB12vNSD on Black Friday deal. II know I'm happy because I haven't had any urge to upgrade my receiver.

Last edited by Paulo72; 03-30-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-22-2016, 12:49 PM

I'm wondering: What is the depth of the Sony STR-ZA1000ES? The Sony website says 16.14" while Crutchfield site says
17 3/4". I had a Pioneer VSX-1120 which is also over 17", so no doubt it will fit my entertainment unit, but there is just over
1 1/2" difference between the 2 sites, confusing. Will someone who owns one please help me? Thank you.

I've received my ZA-1000Es. 16.14" depth is correct or maybe just over. As for the sound, I love it. I lived with my str-dn 1050 for over a year, there is a noticeable increase in clarity, hear sounds I didn't hear before. Worth every penny, especially considering I got it for 1/3 off. Will keep this for a long time, sweet.....

Last edited by Paulo72; 03-22-2016 at 09:45 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There's a way to do a master reset, I forget off the top of my head though. Maybe do a quick search. Try accessing the receiver from the ip address.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-27-2016, 12:59 PM

Does anyone know what D/A converters are used in the Sony STR-ZA1000ES?
post #7 of 10 Old 09-23-2016, 09:54 AM

Sub Crossover

One thing I'm not crazy about is how the subwoofer crossover is not adjustable, is set at 120Hz. All I did was turn off the sub crossover in the Sony and send it full range to my sub JBL Sub 550p. I then set the subwoofer to 80Hz LPF. I know that 120Hz is the THX setting for movies, but for me I find sending 80Hz to the sub give me puncher bass. The 120 wasn't boomy (sealed sub), but I find the bass punchier on 80Hz. Otherwise I love this receiver. If I was to buy a new receiver it would be STR-ZA810ES. It appears that all the 2017 units have a new DCAC, which has a 32 band EQ.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-01-2017, 01:30 PM

I checked out he service manual online. The 1000 has 50V 1000uF Capacitors
post #9 of 10 Old 10-19-2019, 01:04 PM

Has anyone used front height speakers with a Sony STR-ZA1000ES? I see that front height can be connected to the surround back on the receiver. I know this reciever doesn't have atmos. I love the super clean detailed sound this unit produces, may step up to the next not released yet generation of ES receivers, but for now will keep this. How do the front height speakers work on the 1000ES? And do they sound good? Will be getting some sony sscse front heights.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-01-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had my str-za1000es for years now. Still works fabulous. Decided to try some height speakers. Using Sony SSCSE, love it. The front sound stage is so much fuller. I can now run my sub at a higher level. which increases the depth of the sound stage. I love it. Was thinking of upgrading to an atmos av receiver, but think now will wait a few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my hometheatre.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2635238  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page