Which rcvr to replace Marantz SR8000, need HDMI switching. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-28-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which rcvr to replace Marantz SR8000, need HDMI switching.

All,

I've been using a Marantz SR8000 for 12 years and it has absolutely great stereo and theater sound in my system (REL Storm subwoofer, Theil .5 fronts).

However, it's time to throw away 10 pounds of wires and move into HDMI and 100% digital audio links.

I currently feed the subwoofer via it's high level input (fed from front left/right mains on back of SR8000).

There are 2 things I don't like about the SR8000:
1) Huge/complicated remote.
2) Complicated setup and getting menus onto my TV is a pain.

I don't want to lose the great music sound I get from the Theil/REL combo.
I want to simplify all the wiring, so I can just have an HDMI and Optical in for each source and a single HDMI out for my Projector.

I don't want to spend a ton, I almost never do any serious music listening anymore. Movies is the main requirement (and simplifying all the wiring).

Any input would be appreciated.

BTW: I only need 5.1. My room is 23' wide and 13' deep. I use some Bose shelf speakers as my rears.

Thanks,
AJ

Epson 5030UBe
118" Painted wall (Black Widow) (Dover Grey mixed 4:1 with AAA-F)
Marantz SR-6010 amp
Thiel CS .5 front speakers
SVS SB13-Ultra
Polk Audio Center Channel Speaker (CS 350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21992 Post(s)
Liked: 11927
You may want to consider the Marantz SR5009 which is a 7CH AVR with a full set of pre-outs and uses Audyssey MultEQ XT with the GUI that will display on the TV from the HDMI monitor output.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-28-2015, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You may want to consider the Marantz SR5009 which is a 7CH AVR with a full set of pre-outs and uses Audyssey MultEQ XT with the GUI that will display on the TV from the HDMI monitor output.
Thanks for the recommendation. My SR8000 has pre-out for the sub-woofer as well, but I was never able to make it sound as good as feeding it directly from the main (high level) ports. It's been 16 years since I set it up and can't remember what the issue was (my ears were better back then), but I could easily hear the difference when listening to music.

Thanks again,
AJ

Epson 5030UBe
Marantz SR-6010 amp
SVS SB13-Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 719
If your sub is 15 years old you might want to replace that too. For the most part the line level connections are much better than the speaker level connections - less wires too. The best part is Audyssey XT will equalize your sub which is not possible with speaker level connections.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5 of 14 Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
If your sub is 15 years old you might want to replace that too. For the most part the line level connections are much better than the speaker level connections - less wires too. The best part is Audyssey XT will equalize your sub which is not possible with speaker level connections.

I appreciate that thought, however it still sounds awesome paired with the Theils. I don't want to change sub or speakers until I get a new room! (good luck with that!).

If/when I update the receiver, I'll go to line level connections and see how it works. I remember that I couldn't get a perfectly flat response using the line level connections on the SR8000, using the cross-over in the REL allowed me to get it just right.

Thanks again,
AJ

Epson 5030UBe
Marantz SR-6010 amp
SVS SB13-Ultra
post #6 of 14 Old 06-16-2015, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

After tons of reading, I think I'll get either the Anthem MRX 510 or MRX 710

My room can certainly use the correction (I understand Anthem's ARC is about the best correction available for those of us that aren't made of money). Also, my Thiels aren't the easiest speakers to drive (4 ohm), so I think leaning toward the high end audio will pay benefits.

AJ

Epson 5030UBe
Marantz SR-6010 amp
SVS SB13-Ultra
post #7 of 14 Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21992 Post(s)
Liked: 11927
Some prefer Anthem's ARC while others prefer Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (eg. Marantz SR7009). Both will do an excellent job.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-19-2015, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks Like I'm Now In The Same (old) Boat

I am now in the same boat that started this thread, so I guess this is as good a place as any.

It is now December, 2015, and my Marantz SR8000 has worked flawlessly since I purchased it in January 2000... just a few weeks shy of 16 years ago! I've been through more cars than I have A/V receivers.

Yes, the technology has changed dramatically in the intervening decade-and-a-half but there has been no imperative to replace this unit (for which I paid ~$1,200, I think, in 2000).

Today the power fluctuated in my house... in rapid succession about four or five times, and (even though the receiver is on a UBS/surge protector) this evening when I went to turn on my system, there was no audio output on ANY channel from the SR8000 from any of several sources, including the internal FM receiver. The displays on the unit would seem to indicate that it's all still working, except for the part where there's no sound...

I suspect the power amplifiers are fried (is it possible for SIX channels to fry at the same time??), and the unit has finally reached the end of its life expectancy. So, assuming this post somehow finds its way to the top of the site, a couple of questions:

1) Can anybody suggest any further "troubleshooting" techniques I might try? I have rebooted (power off/on) several times, to no avail.

2) Assuming it is in fact time to replace the unit, what should I be looking for in an equivalent, contemporary unit? This one has 105 watts on each channel, I think.

3) So... what's new? What should I be looking for in the way of new technology? My primary input device is a TiVo Roamio. Also AppleTV, and a DVD player (never did go for BluRay). The unit is also the head of a Control4 home A/V system, and each device (except the DVD) plays to two output displays, so I need to replicate that capability. HDMI? Everything presently uses separate video and digital audio connectors.

So, that's the story Jerry... every 15 years or so... time for a new audio head end.

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks,

--PS

"The difficult we do right away; the impossible takes slightly longer." -- Philo T. Farnsworth, Inventor of Television <http://farnovision.com>
post #9 of 14 Old 12-19-2015, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPeacock View Post
All,

I've been using a Marantz SR8000 for 12 years and it has absolutely great stereo and theater sound in my system (REL Storm subwoofer, Theil .5 fronts).

However, it's time to throw away 10 pounds of wires and move into HDMI and 100% digital audio links.

I currently feed the subwoofer via it's high level input (fed from front left/right mains on back of SR8000).

There are 2 things I don't like about the SR8000:
1) Huge/complicated remote.
2) Complicated setup and getting menus onto my TV is a pain.

I don't want to lose the great music sound I get from the Theil/REL combo.
I want to simplify all the wiring, so I can just have an HDMI and Optical in for each source and a single HDMI out for my Projector.

I don't want to spend a ton, I almost never do any serious music listening anymore. Movies is the main requirement (and simplifying all the wiring).

Any input would be appreciated.

BTW: I only need 5.1. My room is 23' wide and 13' deep. I use some Bose shelf speakers as my rears.

Thanks,
AJ
Great deal on the Marantz 7009
http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7009...s=marantz+7009
post #10 of 14 Old 12-19-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor View Post
Witchdoctor, why did you post AJ's original post in reply to my reply to his original post?

I did read it before I posted here, that's why I thought this would be a good place to append my own similar query.

Am I missing something?

--P

"The difficult we do right away; the impossible takes slightly longer." -- Philo T. Farnsworth, Inventor of Television <http://farnovision.com>
post #11 of 14 Old 12-19-2015, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver49 View Post
I am now in the same boat that started this thread, so I guess this is as good a place as any.

It is now December, 2015, and my Marantz SR8000 has worked flawlessly since I purchased it in January 2000... just a few weeks shy of 16 years ago! I've been through more cars than I have A/V receivers.

Yes, the technology has changed dramatically in the intervening decade-and-a-half but there has been no imperative to replace this unit (for which I paid ~$1,200, I think, in 2000).

Today the power fluctuated in my house... in rapid succession about four or five times, and (even though the receiver is on a UBS/surge protector) this evening when I went to turn on my system, there was no audio output on ANY channel from the SR8000 from any of several sources, including the internal FM receiver. The displays on the unit would seem to indicate that it's all still working, except for the part where there's no sound...

I suspect the power amplifiers are fried (is it possible for SIX channels to fry at the same time??), and the unit has finally reached the end of its life expectancy. So, assuming this post somehow finds its way to the top of the site, a couple of questions:

1) Can anybody suggest any further "troubleshooting" techniques I might try? I have rebooted (power off/on) several times, to no avail.

2) Assuming it is in fact time to replace the unit, what should I be looking for in an equivalent, contemporary unit? This one has 105 watts on each channel, I think.

3) So... what's new? What should I be looking for in the way of new technology? My primary input device is a TiVo Roamio. Also AppleTV, and a DVD player (never did go for BluRay). The unit is also the head of a Control4 home A/V system, and each device (except the DVD) plays to two output displays, so I need to replicate that capability. HDMI? Everything presently uses separate video and digital audio connectors.

So, that's the story Jerry... every 15 years or so... time for a new audio head end.

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks,

--PS

driver,

I ended up getting a Marantz 6010 from AV Science. I shouldn't have waited so long, it sounds better than the SR8000, has all the latest streaming/connection technology and has the high end Audyssey technology.

Sorry to hear about your fried amp.

Hope it all works out for you,
AJ

Epson 5030UBe
Marantz SR-6010 amp
SVS SB13-Ultra
post #12 of 14 Old 12-20-2015, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver49 View Post
Witchdoctor, why did you post AJ's original post in reply to my reply to his original post?

I did read it before I posted here, that's why I thought this would be a good place to append my own similar query.

Am I missing something?

--P
My bad I just read the OP's original post, not the entire thread.

Last edited by witchdoctor; 12-20-2015 at 05:23 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-20-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
driver,

I ended up getting a Marantz 6010 from AV Science. I shouldn't have waited so long, it sounds better than the SR8000, has all the latest streaming/connection technology and has the high end Audyssey technology.

AJ
The Marantz 6010 looks good... The 5010 might also suit my needs for a few hundred bucks less, but considering that I buy one of these things only once every 16 years there is probably no point in scrimping

The bigger issue for me is how I'm going to integrate a new head into my Control4 system... That's gonna require a pro and some programming. My existing system is only partially HDMI compliant. Most audio is via optical cables, but video switching is HDMI. It's gonna be interesting....

--PS

post #14 of 14 Old 12-20-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
driver,

AJ
The Marantz 6010 looks good... The 5010 might also suit my needs for a few hundred bucks less, but considering that I buy one of these things only once every 16 years there is probably no point in scrimping

The bigger issue for me is how I'm going to integrate a new head into my Control4 system... That's gonna require a pro and some programming. My existing system is only partially HDMI compliant. Most audio is via optical cables, but video switching is HDMI. It's gonna be interesting....

--PS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page