The "Official" Pioneer VSX-830-K Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 98 Old 11-09-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Hausmanis View Post
20usd reward for the person who helps me fix this

Do you have an option to set SCAL to auto and not pure so that way signal just passes through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 11-09-2015, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
My scal options is AUTO and PURE, so if i put it at AUTO it should just pass it through ?
post #33 of 98 Old 11-09-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-830-K Owner's Thread

Quote:
My scal options is AUTO and PURE, so if i put it at AUTO it should just pass it through ?

I think if set to auto and it detects 1080p it will not anything to the signal is my understanding. Try it and see if that helps your situation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 98 Old 11-10-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks for trying but no, that setting makes no difference

Sadest thing is that if i enable passthru on standby, the picture is perfect so obviously the receiver can passthrough untouched video signal.
But i cant disable the function when the Receiver is ON So bad Pioneer i will never buy Pioneer again
post #35 of 98 Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for trying but no, that setting makes no difference

Sadest thing is that if i enable passthru on standby, the picture is perfect so obviously the receiver can passthrough untouched video signal.

But i cant disable the function when the Receiver is ON So bad Pioneer i will never buy Pioneer again

Return it then and get something else that will work, ymaha or denon is a pretty good choice

post #36 of 98 Old 11-10-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Denon s910 is on sale at best buy right now, go with that if you can, much better avr than 830

post #37 of 98 Old 11-19-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropocene View Post
Hello all. My family and I picked up a VSX-830 this afternoon because of what I'd read here (and the price point was right). We got it home, did everything exactly as instructed and were quite happy with the results. Both my wife and I downloaded the iOS app for the receiver to our respective phones and after setting up the Wired LAN settings, the app informed us there was an update available. The update indicated that it had begun on the front panel of the receiver and was at 0% completion. My wife and I were looking through the instruction PDF and then noticed the receiver had shut off. Because the update instructions indicated that the receiver would turn off upon completion, we assumed this was normal behavior. We also noticed that the "FL OFF" light on the front panel was flashing. When we attempted to power the receiver back on, however, the front panel read "Power On" and then promptly the receiver switched back off.

And that's where we are now. There no longer seems to be any way to turn this thing back on and after a whopping 45 minutes worth of use, it appears as if the receiver's software upgrade from Pioneer has fried it. After thoroughly searching via Google, I can't find any information on how to come back from this, and given the situation we are now dealing with, the manual simply says to bring the receiver in for service. Obviously, since it was only purchased today, I should be able to swap it for another one at my local store, but I can't figure out how this could have happened. On the off chance any of you have encountered this before, is there anything else that can be done?

Thank you so much for your attention.
I just purchased my 830 Receiver a couple of days ago. I kept on having problems with updating over the network. Updating the firmware via USB worked on the first try.

See if you can reset the receiver (page 91 of the manual):

Resetting the system
Use this procedure to reset all the receiver’s settings to the factory default. Use the front panel controls to do this. Set MULTI-ZONE to MULTI ZONE OFF.
! DisconnecttheiPodandUSBmemorydevicefromthereceiver beforehand.
! SettheControlwithHDMItoOFF(seeHDMISetuponpage83).
1 Switch the receiver into standby.
2 While holding down ENTER on the front panel, press u STANDBY/ON.
The display shows RESET c NO d.
3 Select ‘RESET’ using PRESET k/l, then press ENTER on the front panel.
The display shows RESET? OK. 4 Press ENTER to confirm.
OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset to the factory default settings. ! Notethatallsettingswillbesaved,evenifthereceiveris unplugged.

Then download the firmware update from Pioneer's website, unzip the file, place the file(s) on a USB thumb drive, insert it into the receiver and do the update via USB.
El_Scouter likes this.
post #38 of 98 Old 11-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Liked: 0
Hi,

I just got Pioneer VSX-830-K in monday. have problems with my connection from my HTPC, I like to connect it with HDMI and optical for audio. HDMI cable from HTPC is connected to amps SAT/CBL and optical fibre is coneected to OPT-1. When choose from input menu options HDMI settings, IMPUT-2 and OPT-1 then picture is fine but NO SOUNDS. When i change HDMI settings from input menu,HDMI settings HDMI OFF
then there is sounds works fine but no picture( hdmi off).
Any ideas?
post #39 of 98 Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 AM

Red face Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by reponte1 View Post
Hi,

I just got Pioneer VSX-830-K in monday. have problems with my connection from my HTPC, I like to connect it with HDMI and optical for audio. HDMI cable from HTPC is connected to amps SAT/CBL and optical fibre is coneected to OPT-1. When choose from input menu options HDMI settings, IMPUT-2 and OPT-1 then picture is fine but NO SOUNDS. When i change HDMI settings from input menu,HDMI settings HDMI OFF
then there is sounds works fine but no picture( hdmi off).
Any ideas?

You have to select audio parameter and there SIGSEL and digital
post #40 of 98 Old 12-02-2015, 02:41 PM

pioneer VSX 830 receiver - Sub cross over

How can I set the sub woofer cross over on this receiver? I love it, but still trying to get it fine tuned for the best sound.

Thank you,

Husker Power
post #41 of 98 Old 12-03-2015, 02:22 PM

pioneer VSX 830 receiver - Sub cross over

Hi,

Please let me know how I can adjust the sub woofer cross over on the Pioneer VSX-830 receiver. Love this unit, I just want to fine tune it to get the best sound.

Thank you,

Jim
post #42 of 98 Old 12-07-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The subwoofer x-over is just in the home menu, system setup, manual sp settings, speaker setting, and you can set the xover there.
post #43 of 98 Old 12-14-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christobevii3 View Post
The subwoofer x-over is just in the home menu, system setup, manual sp settings, speaker setting, and you can set the xover there.
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

Merry Christmas!
post #44 of 98 Old 12-14-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christobevii3 View Post
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

Merry Christmas!
post #45 of 98 Old 12-15-2015, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312 Send a message via Skype™ to war59312
My Pioneer 830's setup menu in 480p.

Lame!

Should be at least 1080p, if not 4k, when connected to my 4k Samsung UN50HU8550.

Any ideas? Running latest firmware.

Not alone I hope? Others confirm?
post #46 of 98 Old 12-15-2015, 03:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312 Send a message via Skype™ to war59312
By the way, Bestbuy has the Pioneer 830 on sale for $250 right now. In stores only though.

I just bought mine this past Sunday in Columbia, SC.
post #47 of 98 Old 01-21-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
Just not liking the sound from this. What I can't figure out is why my sw hardly kicks in. When I had my Onkyo, the sound was superb right off the bat. I have messed around with this and still I don't seem happy. I set it for auto and it keeps defaulting to stereo for some reason. What is going on?
I just got this receiver from the sale at Best Buy and am replacing a 12 year old Yamaha receiver that was very nice but just was becoming cumbersome not having any HDMI inputs. Anyways I am like the receiver but I have one annoyance. If I have the sound set to auto and a 5.1 source comes in sounds great. However if watching say netflix on the apple tv 4 (that decodes to pcm for Multi Channel) and the source switches to stereo the receiver will only play stereo. If I change the audio to DPL II it works good and sounds good. However if a 5.1 source comes back in the receiver switches to Ext_Stereo and sounds like crap and I have to switch the setting again to auto. Then repeat scenario as needed.

My old Yamaha would remember the setting and stereo would get DPLII and then switch to Standard with 5.1. Is there any way to have auto default a stereo source to DLPII? And then switch to standard when 5.1 comes in instead of Ext_Stereo?
post #48 of 98 Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 PM

No Home Menu

I purchased the 1130 version of this AMP a month or so ago. Everything seemed to be working correct but now when I hit the Home menu screen on the remote I dont get a picture on my screen. It does not matter what input I use the menu options show on the front of the unit but I dont get the picture any longer. This was never a problem until a couple days ago. Any ideas?
post #49 of 98 Old 02-24-2016, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Eff View Post
If I have the sound set to auto and a 5.1 source comes in sounds great. However if watching say netflix on the apple tv 4 (that decodes to pcm for Multi Channel) and the source switches to stereo the receiver will only play stereo. If I change the audio to DPL II it works good and sounds good. However if a 5.1 source comes back in the receiver switches to Ext_Stereo and sounds like crap and I have to switch the setting again to auto. Then repeat scenario as needed.

My old Yamaha would remember the setting and stereo would get DPLII and then switch to Standard with 5.1. Is there any way to have auto default a stereo source to DLPII? And then switch to standard when 5.1 comes in instead of Ext_Stereo?

How are not more people complaining about this issue??? Is this on every unit or is it a defect only affecting some units? I actually have a VSX-45 with the exact same thing as stated above simply put:

You want your receiver to play PLII when it is getting a 2 ch. coding and Dolby Digital when you are receiving a DD coding and switch automatically and seamlessly. My receiver does not do this.
I watch/listen to 95% digital cable and programs are constantly switching between 2 ch and 5.1.

The worst part is when I have it set on PLII, a DD signal comes on the display but it won't let it "override" STEREO OR EXT. STEREO until you push auto.

I have owned 4 Pioneer AVR's over a span of 15 years and ALL other receivers (A LOT) I have set up can do this function.

If anyone can help me solve this issue I would be very surprised. I either have a bad one, or Pioneer totally screwed up on the 830's and 45's. Definitely a deal breaker for me. I guess Pioneer lost a customer and I have a VSX-45 to get rid of.
post #50 of 98 Old 03-02-2016, 12:05 PM

Question Simple, but HDMI

My mom's Sony amp broke and I've been trying to figure out what to get to replace it. She's 94, partially deaf and only uses it for headphones (I hooked up a couple of bookshelf Polks for her, but they're gathering dust). Problem is : simple little units don't have HDMI inputs, which she needs for her HD cable box and Sony BD player. And HDMI units have tons of features which she'll NEVER use.
Anyway, at Best Buy (which has the best service plan for her needs), it seems to come down to the Sony STRDH550 or the PioneerVSX-530-K or the Pioneer VSX-830-K. The 830 seems like the best as they are all $250 right now, but folks having all these setup problems sounds like a nightmare. Does any of that come into play if all she'll ever use is the headphone jack and, maybe, two bookshelf speakers?
Let me know if I've somehow missed a simpler HDMI unit for her, but if not, and it's the 830 : is it safe?
post #51 of 98 Old 03-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I really don't know why so much people reported having issue with the setup.
I got the 830K about a month ago, it is fairly simple, only 3 options on the main setup page and then there are several other buttons when you down a level.
It is a lot simpler than my other AVR, Yamaha RX-V673.
Why people complain? I don't know. Maybe I got the latest FW? Wireless network setup took me a few minutes, most of the time was for entering the password.
Early Memphis likes this.
post #52 of 98 Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM

Thanks. Are you happy with the 830? It's got so many things on it that my Mom will never use (like wireless, internet radio, etc). For her it'll just be an amp for her headphones so sound quality is most important.
post #53 of 98 Old 03-04-2016, 03:30 PM

I have had the 830 for a few weeks now and have been pretty happy. sound is good and the features like the control pioneer app are very convenient. I am only have one issue. I would like the unit upon start up to preset itself to the sat/cab hdmi which I have my xfinity cable box hooked up too. Every time I turn the unit on it adjusts itself to the TV option which is not hdmi and has nothing is hook up into. Can anyone shoot me in the right direction to getting the unit to start up on the right setting?

Thanks
post #54 of 98 Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
20usd reward for the person who helps me fix this
I just purchased the Pio 830 and had the same "gray" issue as you. My previous unit was an Onkyo that did not exhibit this behavior. Like, you, In my case it was especially noticeable when I selected my Roku3 connected to the HDMI of the 830.

But in my case, I was able to finally able to resolve this:

My TV is a Panasonic TCP55VT30. When the Roku3 was connected directly to the TV, I do not see gray issue. I concluded that the TV was fine and it must be the fault of the Pioneer. Be that as it may, I dug a little deeper and noticed on the TV Picture Settings, there was an Advanced Picture tab. There is a setting for Black Level and in my case it was set to Light. I set it to Dark and my "gray" went away. There is a comment in the user manual that this setting is for external inputs only.

The funny thing is the only HDMI connection to the TV is from the 830, so I surmise that that output of the receiver is the culprit and the TV has a way to resolve it. At least in my case.

Another issue that bit me regarding the Auto Surround settings:

I was going nuts trying to understand while I was watching TV I would see a 5.1 logo on the guide, but only would get Stereo. I have Comcast and I finally noticed that some channels came up Dolby Digital and some came up with Stereo. It wasn't until later in the evening that one station that was in Stereo during the day, was now showing Digital. I did not have to push the Auto Surround button to get this. I concluded that the Guide data wasn't very accurate and at the time I was fighting this issue, there was no 5.1 data being broadcast. Changing inputs between my BD and Roku followed true and I did not need to keep hitting Auto Surround when switching sources.. I do find that if I get a Stereo indication on a station, that I do instinctively push it..but so far it appears to be working for me. This effect was mostly noted by me on Fox between news(or daytime shows) and prime time shows or movies. So I guess that despite the guide claiming 5.1..it might not be in my case
post #55 of 98 Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 3539
Picked up a VSX-830 for my mother and I decided to give it a once through before setting it up at her place. Everything seems to work as it should with the exception of the wifi option. Is there a trick to getting the wireless to work, or does the unit just have terrible reception? The instructions in the accompanying manual seem unnecessarily complicated, either that or I'm missing something simple to get the wifi working. I can hold my iPhone right above the unit and it has a full signal, but when trying to set up the wifi on the Pioneer it never seems to take. I have to believe I'm missing something.

Looking for some help, thanks!

Jim

P.S. Using an Asus RT-N66 router which has no problem with any other wireless device I've connected to it.

<Update>
I got it working, for some reason, I have two different passwords in my wireless setup in the router. I used the WPA Pre-shared key, which is different from the WPA-PSK Key which shows on the front page on the router menu screen, and it worked. I need to do a refresher on my wireless setup. I'm using WPA2-Personal with AES encryption on the router so the network is secured, just need to brush up on the keys and password uses.

For the $250 spent(Best Buy), this is really a rather nice AVR, more than suitable for my intended use.

Last edited by Keenan; 03-06-2016 at 03:46 PM.
post #56 of 98 Old 03-08-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 3539
I posted the below in the 1130 thread also, I wanted to get as wide of sampling of users as I could.

----

My question is specific to the VSX-830 model of this AVR but I wanted to read this thread as well as the 830 thread to compare the comments. The question is, do these AVRs have what I guess would be called audio format memory? It may not be the right term but I'll give an example. I'm watching a TV station, let's say HBO, and it's sending a DD 5.1 audio signal and in this case the 830(and apparently the 1130 as well) will decode that stream and apply the DD 5.1 to the audio output(speakers). But when changing to a station that only has a DD 2.0 signal the AVRs will change to a simple Stereo output. Fine so far. Once on that station with the Stereo output, I will use the Surr button on the remote to apply a DD Pl overlay on the 2.0 input signal to give me a 5.1 output. Still fine so far. The problem occurs when switching back to a DD 5.1 station, when that happens the audio format/output switches to Ext Stereo(whatever that is) and not the proper DD 5.1 output it should be. Only pressing the Auto button will the audio format be changed to its proper DD 5.1 output.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to the question as I have read both threads in their entirety, saw the complaints but never saw anything regarding a fix, but do these AVRs really operate in this fashion? Is Pioneer's surround audio format application so basic that these audio formats have to be manually applied each time a different audio format is sensed at the inputs? I apologize if this is normal for this line, I ask as I've used nothing but Denons for the last 15 years and never came across this type of functionality(problem?). If this is how Pioneers are supposed to work that's fine, I'll know what my next move is(return it). But if I'm missing something, a setting, the wrong input, anything that would "correct" this issue please fill me in.

I purchased the unit to replace my mother's aging Yamaha as without HDMI and a newer Roku(no S/PDID audio output) she can't watch her baseball games anymore(MLB.tv app on the Roku). And since the linear MLB Network TV channel is still living in the past and broadcasting a straight DD 2.0 signal, whenever she changes to that channel and then back to another channel she'll lose the proper application of Dolby Digital on that new channel. And that's something I'd rather not have her being worrying about or have to play with to fix.

Thanks for any help or direction.
post #57 of 98 Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the Bass and Treble on the VSX-830?
post #58 of 98 Old 03-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Edit never mind thought this was 530

Last edited by thadoggfather; 03-13-2016 at 11:20 PM.
post #59 of 98 Old 03-14-2016, 06:11 PM

USB drive size limit

Does anyone know if there is a size limit to the USB input? I read that it needs to be FAT32 but I could not find anything about a size limit.
I want to connect a 1TB music drive but it shows as empty when I select the ipod/USB input. My 8GB thumb drives shows up no problem.
The 1TB drive was NTFS but I converted it to FAT32, could that be the issue? I have also tried a 256 SSD drive, same problem.
post #60 of 98 Old 03-16-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRiggins View Post
Hi. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the Bass and Treble on the VSX-830?
go to the users manual page 86 under Audio Parameter Menu then TONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amazon prime music , firestick , pc computer , pioneer vsx 830 , VSX-830-K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page