The "Official" Pioneer VSX-830-K Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #61 of 98 Old 03-18-2016, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got this receiver and i have a quick question, how do you control hdmi devices? Like my old onkyo could control my playstation 4, is it not possible with this receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 03-28-2016, 07:43 PM

Spotify

Just got this Vsx-830 but Spotify will not load. Just shows a screen with time slide bar reading 0:00 and no title. Pandora will load and function. Any suggestions? Thank you!
post #63 of 98 Old 04-18-2016, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob108 View Post
Just got this Vsx-830 but Spotify will not load. Just shows a screen with time slide bar reading 0:00 and no title. Pandora will load and function. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Spotify only works with spotify connect. Means: you need a device (desktop, android or ios. windows phone dosn't work) in the same network and then use the vsx as output device in spotify. Then you can skip songs, change volume and stuff like that with the vsx-830. You can not! swith playlists, search for artists or anything like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 98 Old 04-21-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Fry's has it on sale today, 4/21/2016, 50% off of $399 = $199.50 + tax, for in-store stock only. I'm replacing an Onkyo HR-593 that decided to stop putting out audio.
post #65 of 98 Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 PM

Liked: 10
Don't know what I'm missing but once I goto Pandora the directional buttons and enter button don't do anything. How do you navagate pandora? Thanks
post #66 of 98 Old 04-25-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockon1 View Post
Don't know what I'm missing but once I goto Pandora the directional buttons and enter button don't do anything. How do you navagate pandora? Thanks
got it. hit the net button
post #67 of 98 Old 04-30-2016, 02:47 AM

MCACC Presets and DSP settings

Hello all - first post here. I just bought a vsx-830-k and love the sound but I'm a bit confused on the MCACC Presets (Memory 1-6). I can't seem to get the individual presets to save the DSP settings (DNR, DRC, etc.). I can save eq settings, speaker settings... but when I change a DSP setting in one preset it changes it for the other five as well. Am I missing something silly here? Thanks in advance for any help.
post #68 of 98 Old 05-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking at picking up the 830-k to replace my 1021-k for the 4K features and hopefully 1080p @ 120Hz. But can anyone confirm that this receiver supports 1080p @ 120hz? My HTPC and and TV support support this, and I want put this receiver in between them. I know HDMI 2.0 has the capabilities for [email protected], but but want to avoid any "gotcha's".

Thanks.
post #69 of 98 Old 05-07-2016, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Use all speakers for stereo content?

Just got my VSX-830-K and so far I'm quite pleased with it. One thing I'm confused about though. I'd like an audio mode that plays surround sound relatively unmolested, but utilizes all the speakers for a stereo source. So far I've found EXT.STEREO, which uses all the speakers but completely removes surround effects (also, it seems to just duplicate the left and right channels at full volume). Then there's AUTO SURROUND, which plays surround sound correctly but leaves the center and surrounds totally unused when stereo is played.

Is there a mode that gives me pure-ish surround sound, but DSPs up stereo signals so I'm not wasting 60% of my speakers when a stereo signal is coming through?
post #70 of 98 Old 05-15-2016, 03:58 PM

Blinking HDMI light

I bought a VSX-530-K open box unit at Best Buy in January. It worked fine for about 3 weeks, then, when I turned it on I got a blinking red HDMI light and that was it. Best Buy would not help, so ended up sending it to Pioneer's service center (Alpha Electronics in Santa Rosa) at my cost >

Over about 7 weeks, Alpha Electronics gave me the run-around. Each time I called to see what was going on, the "guy" who knew was always out. The same guy always answered the phone and even got mad at me when I called back when he told me to when the "guy who knew" would be there.
Finally, after 7 weeks they said it was fixed and sent it back to me. In the box was this note:

"We have just been informed by Pioneer to return all units to the customers as they have just been bought out by Onkyo and we do not do Onkyo warranty. You can call Pioneer and they will instruct you how to proceed."

I plugged in the unit and it still has the blinking HDMI light.

After contacting Pioneer again, they said to send it to Paradyme in Sacramento. At least this time they paid the shipping. Paradyme was very good, but had issues with Pioneer trying to deny the warranty claim. Finally Pioneer approved, they said it was fixed and sent it back to me.

Plugged in the unit and it still has the flashing HDMI light.

I'm an Electrical Engineer with over 30 years various AV experience, so I kind of know what I'm doing, but I'm open to the possibility that I'm doing something wrong.

All speakers are 8 ohm. All test out ok. HDMI ins and outs all work with other equipment.

Anyone else run into this problem on this receiver? Am I doing something stupid?

Last edited by MX21; 05-15-2016 at 04:19 PM.
post #71 of 98 Old 05-15-2016, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX21 View Post
I bought a VSX-530-K open box unit at Best Buy in January. It worked fine for about 3 weeks, then, when I turned it on I got a blinking red HDMI light and that was it.
Hi MX21, I have no idea if this works but it may be worth a try.

With the unit on try pressing and hold the power button for about 30 seconds (the power will go off) then try turning it back on.

Or with unit in standby, press and hold ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND on the front panel for 2 seconds.

Or with unit in standby, press and hold ADVANCED SURROUND then push the STANDBY/ON button.
post #72 of 98 Old 05-15-2016, 05:57 PM

Thanks, yes, I've tried holding Advanced + Standby button, which clears the HDMI light, but it just clicks off again with flashing HDMI after about 10 seconds. Also resetting the defaults doesn't help (Band + Standby). Holding just the Standby buttons for a minute doesn't do anything.
post #73 of 98 Old 05-23-2016, 06:09 PM

I'm having an issue where 2 of my hdmi inputs stop working randomly. Any idea what it is? And it's not the hdmi cables

Using tapatalk.... can't rep/thank
post #74 of 98 Old 05-26-2016, 11:13 PM

What subwoofer works good with the VSX-830?
post #75 of 98 Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp0207 View Post
I purchased the 1130 version of this AMP a month or so ago. Everything seemed to be working correct but now when I hit the Home menu screen on the remote I dont get a picture on my screen. It does not matter what input I use the menu options show on the front of the unit but I dont get the picture any longer. This was never a problem until a couple days ago. Any ideas?
Did you ever figure this out? I just had the same problem. I want to redo the MCACC but the setup screen appears completely black.

BTW, I figured out one thing which might help someone else here on the forums. If some of the buttons on the remote stop working (such as the Video Tools option where you can enable/disable the 4K upscaling), press the "RECEIVER MAIN" button on the remote and then try again. I don't know why that works, but it solved the issue for me.
post #76 of 98 Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia Boss View Post
Did you ever figure this out? I just had the same problem. I want to redo the MCACC but the setup screen appears completely black.

BTW, I figured out one thing which might help someone else here on the forums. If some of the buttons on the remote stop working (such as the Video Tools option where you can enable/disable the 4K upscaling), press the "RECEIVER MAIN" button on the remote and then try again. I don't know why that works, but it solved the issue for me.
I had to unplug mine and plug it back up

post #77 of 98 Old 06-13-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link1227 View Post
I had to unplug mine and plug it back up

Unplug what? The TV, or the receiver?

(Unplugging my TV basically means turning off the circuit breaker—it's flush mounted and the plug isn't accessible...)

EDIT: tried power cycling the receiver, worked like a charm! Thanks for the tip! Was getting worried that I'd never be able to redo my MCACC settings.

I got a good deal on this receiver but I feel like it's a lot bugger than I'm used to, coming from owning an Onkyo and a Sony before. Maybe it's just HDMI-CEC being crappy, but everything feels flaky.
Link1227 likes this.

Last edited by Mafia Boss; 06-13-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #78 of 98 Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 AM

I have two questions about the control app and the airplay functionality.

I bought this avr only for backyard audio. My intention is to use the control app from outside to mute speakers, essentially creating zones. I cannot find anywhere in the app where I would be able to change a/b speakers in the app itself which is what I bought it with the intention of doing. Muting speakers seems like it will work as i am intending as a work around. Does this sound like it will work?

Second question is how good is the airplay and dlna in the AVR. Again, using this for outside music, I was hoping to airplay it from my phone to the avr. Any issues with the airplay functionality in the receiver?

I haven't actually unboxed this yet as I am still contemplating my options, so insight into what I am intending is greatly appreciated.
post #79 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia Boss View Post
Unplug what? The TV, or the receiver?

(Unplugging my TV basically means turning off the circuit breaker—it's flush mounted and the plug isn't accessible...)

EDIT: tried power cycling the receiver, worked like a charm! Thanks for the tip! Was getting worried that I'd never be able to redo my MCACC settings.

I got a good deal on this receiver but I feel like it's a lot bugger than I'm used to, coming from owning an Onkyo and a Sony before. Maybe it's just HDMI-CEC being crappy, but everything feels flaky.
Yea I feel the same way. I had an onkyo, but the inputs went out. But this one seems buggy. I think I'll go yamaha or denon next time
post #80 of 98 Old 06-19-2016, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello; I've been using my VSX-830-K for about a month now. Works as it should driving some Monitor Audio Silver RS 6's with a RS LCR center channel. Internet works as it should and the sound is great with the Monitor Audio Speakers. No complaints.
Wanted to add the subs are Yamaha YST SW-150's

AAudio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitor Audio 04.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1505161  
post #81 of 98 Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Bought the VSX-830-k to replace Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi , connected to sat/cab via HDMI successfully, connected surround speakers ok, now the problem, my Optoma H-31 projector does not have HDMI input so I connected Monitor out on the receiver to video in the projecxtor , getting error "No Signal Source lock enabled" trying to avoid filing a HDMI wire through the ceiling/walls and adding an adaptor DVI/HDMI without knowing if it would work ? Any help would be appreciated
post #82 of 98 Old 08-27-2016, 06:22 PM

Bluetooth Headphones

Is it possible to use bluetooth headphones with this receiver? If so how do you enable them?

Thanks in advance
post #83 of 98 Old 09-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312 Send a message via Skype™ to war59312
Question

Hey,

Anyone here with DirecTV 4k?

It keeps acting up on me. Picture not coming in a lot of times.

Seems to be a classic HDMI Handshake issue, as I normally can get the picture back if I play around a bit. Unplug cables, switch inputs, etc. Sound always plays.

Just happening with 4k channels, as in channel 104.

Tried different HDMI cables and different box.

Running latest firmware on all devices.

DirecTV Gear:

Genie Gen 3: Model: HR54-700

Two 4K Genie Mini: Model: C61K-700

VSX-830-K Firmware:

Ver 1-307-009-008-205 (Updated from: Ver 1-282-009-008-193)

TV: SAMSUNG UN50HU8550 with Software Version: T-GFP8AKUC-2340.3

First off, I was unable to update to Ver 1-282-009-008-203 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/VSX-830-K). I kept getting "Update Error 7" after it first sits on "Updating... 0%" for a good 5 minutes.

So then I tried to update via USB @ http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ons_830-45.txt, but I kept getting "The file may be damaged....".

Tried 3 drives. Then I realized it may be a format issue. So I tried formatting a drive as FAT32.

Success! Now running latest firmware on VSX-830-K too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Will

Update: DirecTV 4k only works correctly on HDMI 3 (MHL). Sadly Nvidia Shield does NOT support MHL. So looks like I will just have to switch between the two.

Last edited by war59312; 11-24-2016 at 08:07 PM.
post #84 of 98 Old 10-11-2016, 03:25 PM

Thought this was going well.......

So I bought this receiver from BB 4 months ago and it was working great. I never had any issues with setup etc. Then today it decided not to output video properly.

I only have a PS4 hooked up to it using proper cables. What has happened is, the sound is coming through properly but the video is intermittent at best if not it goes out and shows no signal. I'm hooked up to a Sony xbr55x810c. I've updated the receiver and still it doesn't want to output video. It will output video for around 45 seconds give or take then the video disappears. The hdmi light is on and doesn't flash at all during the flickering. My tv tries changing resolution from 4k down to 480 (along with some weird ones) then finally it stops (audio still passes through)

If I hook up the ps4 to the TV directly there's no problem. I have it setup for input 3 on the receiver and output to hdmi 4 (ark) on my Sony tv. It's been running perfectly fine for a few months and now has gone awry.

I have tried all different inputs on both the reliever and the TV with each one doing the same thing. Different cords also just to be sure.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Dale C
post #85 of 98 Old 12-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been using my Blue Ray for Pandora for many months. Tried my VSX 830-K for Pandora and nothing. Looked for an update and found one. Did the update and now have Pandora again.
I didn't lose any eq type settings but did lose my Internet radio station presets and had to log in to Pandora using a new account. It was like I had a new receiver.
Pioneer does have an update for Pandora. At least for me it works.
Doug

EDIT: The iControlAV5 works great with my Android tablet.

Last edited by Dookiethree; 12-10-2016 at 02:24 PM.
post #86 of 98 Old 12-26-2016, 11:46 PM

PS4 Pro experiences?

I just got a PS4 Pro and tried hooking it up via the Pioneer VSX-830. It says 2160p RGB mode is not supported, only YUV420, which means it can't do 4K HDR—only 1080p HDR or 4K in 8-bit color.

Anyone else experienced this? The VSX-830 specs claim x.v. color support. I'm hooking it up to a Sony XBR65X930C, and it works perfectly if I connect directly without the receiver. TV, receiver and PS4 Pro have all been updated to latest software.

EDIT: Solution found! See attached info from the manual—the receiver has a hidden option to enable 4:4:4 mode. Why this isn't in the main setup menu is a mystery to me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 12.09.39 AM.png
Views:	210
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	1855161
Dookiethree likes this.

Last edited by Mafia Boss; 12-27-2016 at 12:13 AM.
post #87 of 98 Old 02-09-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to reset this receiver, specifically set the channel outputs, without the remote?
post #88 of 98 Old 06-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Hey guys. I own this receiver, and so far quite pleased with it. My question is if it's possible to use wireless rear speakers with this unit for surround sound? If so, any suggestions? Thanks.
post #89 of 98 Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM

ARC on HDMI

Just picked up a new LG OLED55B7A. I can't find anything about how to utilize the ARC feature on the receiver. I have it hooked to the HDMI ARC on the Tv, with an Arc compliant HDMI cable. What input should the receiver be set to, or should it detect it?
post #90 of 98 Old 01-08-2018, 04:07 PM

problem with Amazon prime music playing from PC to Pioneer vsx-830

Connected my PC to the Pioneer 830 VSX 830 using a DVI to HDMI cable. Playing amazon music via the web on the PC. works fine for about 10 minutes and then stops playing. Have to click mouse to get it to restart. Is there a way to get this to work better?

Also tried fire stick that is plugged into Vizio TV, but only get sound out of the TV, even though TV is connected to the Pioneer via the HTML and with a optical cable.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amazon prime music , firestick , pc computer , pioneer vsx 830 , VSX-830-K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page