The Official Onkyo 2015 TX-NR545/646/747/848 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1431Likes

post #271 of 2039 Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I'm still extremely disappointed that there is no flagship models out this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2039 Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjerina View Post
Does anyone out there have a 646 with a Samsung 4K TV (like the JS8500, JS9000, JS9500). If so, how well is the combo working for you?

I just bought a JS9500 and NR747 and having major issues. Random no sound that is fixed by power cycling the receiver. HDMI-CEC issues between the TV and the receiver. I've tried everything I can think of and I can't figure it out. I'm about 90% sure that the Onkyo is at fault. I may run down Best Buy and pick up a different receiver and see how it plays with this new TV. I'm really pretty bummed out considering how much money I just spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #273 of 2039 Old 08-30-2015, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
With the 646 on sale last week, I went ahead and picked one up. I debated quite awhile between this and the various Denon models, but felt like the Onkyo delivered the best value. I don't have a lot of relative experience with receivers, but the 646 is working great for me thus far driving my Def Tech promonitor 1000/800 setup. I'm just running 5 speakers at the moment, but plan to add some height speakers and additional zones at some point. I did confirm that the 646 is able to drive 2 zones, plus have stereo pre-outs connected to another amp to drive zones 3+ simultaneously.

AccuEq is easy to set up, although I haven't done much testing to tell what it is doing. I need to experiment with the different sound modes. The networking is a snap to set up and I'm having no issues with Apple AirPlay like one person mentioned. Works great! The receiver plays Pandora just fine also, though I'll be using my HTPC for that most of the time.

The only small "issue" I've noticed is that with my PS3 or windows media center, sometimes the menu sound effects don't get played. I'm not sure this is specific to this model though because I feel like I've read about it before.

Last edited by Marauder; 08-30-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 2039 Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
With the 646 on sale last week, I went ahead and picked one up. I debated quite awhile between this and the various Denon models, but felt like the Onkyo delivered the best value. I don't have a lot of relative experience with receivers, but the 646 is working great for me thus far diving my Def Tech promonitor 1000/800 setup. I'm just running 5 speakers at the moment, but plan to add some height speakers and additional zones at some point. I did confirm that the 646 is able to drive 2 zones, plus have stereo pre-outs connected to another amp to drive zones 3+ simultaneously.

AccuEq is easy to set up, although I haven't done much testing to tell what it is doing. I need to experiment with the different sound modes. The networking is a snap to set up and I'm having no issues with Apple AirPlay like one person mentioned. Works great! The receiver plays Pandora just fine also, though I'll be using my HTPC for that most of the time.

The only small "issue" I've noticed is that with my PS3 or windows media center, sometimes the menu sound effects don't get played. I'm not sure this is specific to this model though because I feel like I've read about it before.

I agree with this, unless im sorely mistaken, there is no other avr at the moment like 646 that offers same features and inputs in that price range or even in higher price range. It has phono input and all kinds of analog inputs as well as zone 2. Also, in the networking area it has TuneIn and slacker which i believe majority of other manufacturers don't include. The only thing that is a downer about this avr is that it doesn't support 5 ghz wifi.
post #275 of 2039 Old 08-30-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
I'm having no issues with Apple AirPlay like one person mentioned.
You don't hear any static or crackling when playing from your IPhone over AirPlay?

Quote:

I have the same problem with my Xbox One and worked around it by changing it to output Dolby Digital instead of PCM. Might be worth trying to see if that works with your PS3. Also, you should post in this thread so that Onkyo will know that it's affecting more people: http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=8390.
DavidAdams likes this.
post #276 of 2039 Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 597
For anyone. What has Accueq set your sub trim to?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #277 of 2039 Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
You don't hear any static or crackling when playing from your IPhone over AirPlay?
Nope, I used my iPhone to stream Pandora and some albums in the music app for about 90 minutes the other day, and I didn't have any issues with sound. I haven't tried it with iTunes on a PC yet, however. For what it's worth, my 646 is connected wirelessly with a very strong signal (my router is actually located in the same cabinet, I'm just out of ethernet ports on the back at the moment!)

Quote:
I have the same problem with my Xbox One and worked around it by changing it to output Dolby Digital instead of PCM. Might be worth trying to see if that works with your PS3. Also, you should post in this thread so that Onkyo will know that it's affecting more people: http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=8390.
Upon reading some more about this occurrence, it seems like it is related to the difference in using bitstream or PCM audio output--that is, whether the source (game console) or the receiver is processing/unzipping the audio. It definitely occurs with other receivers, so I'm not convinced it's something Onkyo needs to fix (or even can).

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that you say using Dolby Digital (bitstream) eliminates the problem, because I would think it would be the reverse. Feeding PCM to the receiver, you're having the PS3 process all of the audio which would seem to avoid any delays on the receiver end. I need to do a bit more tinkering to test out what works on my setup, but I'm definitely getting the "Dolby Surround" feed on the receiver, which means it is sending bitstream. After reading this thread, it seems that PCM is the better choice for my fat PS3 since it cannot send lossless audio via bitstream with its older hardware. I'm guessing with that the receiver only registers the audio as multichannel PCM instead of "Dolby Surround" appearing on the receiver's display, but it seems like the result is the same.

Last edited by Marauder; 08-31-2015 at 03:29 PM.
post #278 of 2039 Old 08-31-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope, I used my iPhone to stream Pandora and some albums in the music app for about 90 minutes the other day, and I didn't have any issues with sound. I haven't tried it with iTunes on a PC yet, however. For what it's worth, my 646 is connected wirelessly with a very strong signal (my router is actually located in the same cabinet, I'm just out of ethernet ports on the back at the moment!)
Hmm, that's good to know. I'll do some more tinkering with this to see if I can narrow down the source of the problem.

Quote:
Upon reading some more about this occurrence, it seems like it is related to the difference in using bitstream or PCM audio output--that is, whether the source (game console) or the receiver is processing/unzipping the audio. It definitely occurs with other receivers, so I'm not convinced it's something Onkyo needs to fix (or even can).
Well, prior to the 646, I had the Xbox One connected directly to my TV via HDMI and using PCM and it did not exhibit this behavior. Since the only thing that has changed is the presence of the 646, I'd say it's at least partially to blame. Although, to be fair, I was only using stereo PCM at the time, so maybe you're right.

Quote:
Actually, I'm kind of surprised that you say using Dolby Digital (bitstream) eliminates the problem, because I would think it would be the reverse. Feeding PCM to the receiver, you're having the PS3 process all of the audio which would seem to avoid any delays on the receiver end. I need to do a bit more tinkering to test out what works on my setup, but I'm definitely getting the "Dolby Surround" feed on the receiver, which means it is sending bitstream. After reading this thread, it seems that PCM is the better choice for my fat PS3 since it cannot send lossless audio via bitstream with its older hardware. I'm guessing with that the receiver only registers the audio as multichannel PCM instead of "Dolby Surround" appearing on the receiver's display, but it seems like the result is the same.
Actually, you can get the "Dolby Surround" option with either a PCM or DD input signal. And you're right about avoiding delays with PCM. I have to use a -100ms delay with the Xbox One set to DD to avoid audio delays.
post #279 of 2039 Old 09-01-2015, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hmm, that's good to know. I'll do some more tinkering with this to see if I can narrow down the source of the problem.

Well, prior to the 646, I had the Xbox One connected directly to my TV via HDMI and using PCM and it did not exhibit this behavior. Since the only thing that has changed is the presence of the 646, I'd say it's at least partially to blame. Although, to be fair, I was only using stereo PCM at the time, so maybe you're right.

Actually, you can get the "Dolby Surround" option with either a PCM or DD input signal. And you're right about avoiding delays with PCM. I have to use a -100ms delay with the Xbox One set to DD to avoid audio delays.
I've also had the issue of having sounds cut off when navigating the menu while the Xbox One is set to 5.1 uncompressed. Setting the Xbox to Bitstream Out/Dolby Digital or DTS seems to fix the issue. As someone who is new to all these settings, am I getting the best possible sound with Bitstream Out/Dolby Digital or DTS compared to 5.1 uncompressed?

Also, I do not seem to have any audio delays with the above settings except when watching Blu-Rays on the Xbox in 24hz mode. If I turn off 24hz mode the lip-sync issue seems to go away. Would this be an issue with the Xbox or the Onkyo reciever?
post #280 of 2039 Old 09-01-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachg View Post
I've also had the issue of having sounds cut off when navigating the menu while the Xbox One is set to 5.1 uncompressed. Setting the Xbox to Bitstream Out/Dolby Digital or DTS seems to fix the issue. As someone who is new to all these settings, am I getting the best possible sound with Bitstream Out/Dolby Digital or DTS compared to 5.1 uncompressed?

Also, I do not seem to have any audio delays with the above settings except when watching Blu-Rays on the Xbox in 24hz mode. If I turn off 24hz mode the lip-sync issue seems to go away. Would this be an issue with the Xbox or the Onkyo reciever?
Uncompressed is technically better. Not sure if you'd notice an audible difference though. Blu-ray lip syncing issue could be the fault of either. Do you have lip sync set to On/Auto on your AVR?

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
post #281 of 2039 Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Can the display on the 646 only be dimmed?, not turned off completely?
post #282 of 2039 Old 09-02-2015, 07:22 AM

The 747 can only be dimmed. Same for all my older Onkyo models. I don't see that option changing anytime soon.

post #283 of 2039 Old 09-02-2015, 07:24 AM

The Official Onkyo 2015 TX-NR545/646/747/848 Thread

Also, definitely set your Xbox One 7.1 uncompressed audio. Also, if you have a Samsung with a One Connect box, don't run it through the that. Run your Xbox directly to the AVR for the best audio.

Last edited by tscallions; 09-02-2015 at 07:32 AM.
post #284 of 2039 Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscallions View Post
Also, definitely set your Xbox One 7.1 uncompressed audio. Also, if you have a Samsung with a One Connect box, don't run it through the that. Run your Xbox directly to the AVR for the best audio.

If he has a 5.1 setup, he should set his Xbox One to 5.1 uncompressed. Not sure I'd want the receiver remixing it.

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
post #285 of 2039 Old 09-02-2015, 07:58 AM

Oh for sure. I just assumed he could choose the option that best fit his setup. I have a 7.2 setup so I chose 7.1 uncompressed. Obviously you would choose 5.1 uncompressed if that's is your setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #286 of 2039 Old 09-02-2015, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscallions View Post

But that causes audio dropouts on the menus so it depends on which you consider to be the worst of two evils.
post #287 of 2039 Old 09-02-2015, 09:21 AM

It does, but I personally don't care about menu sounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #288 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has anyone received there free Dolby Atmos speakers yet from ONKYO as part of the promotion??

Onkyos customer service is absolutely terrible and in shambles. Sometimes you have to wait days for a response, sometimes even then no one replies!

Ive been waiting since JUNE for my speakers to come still nothing! First i was told by them it would be at the end of JULY, when i didn't receive anything at the beginning on August, i contacted them again and they told me that they had to order more speakers from china and that i would now receive them at the end of August. Its now September and still nothing! Im just beginning to wonder if i will ever receive them?!? Also I'm considering just going to buy the speakers for myself and never going for ONKYO ever again (just cause of there rubbish service). Ive contact them twice already in September and no one has still replied!!!

Has anyone at all received there speakers?
post #289 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22882 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Nads View Post
Has anyone received there free Dolby Atmos speakers yet from ONKYO as part of the promotion??

Onkyos customer service is absolutely terrible and in shambles. Sometimes you have to wait days for a response, sometimes even then no one replies!

Ive been waiting since JUNE for my speakers to come still nothing! First i was told by them it would be at the end of JULY, when i didn't receive anything at the beginning on August, i contacted them again and they told me that they had to order more speakers from china and that i would now receive them at the end of August. Its now September and still nothing! Im just beginning to wonder if i will ever receive them?!? Also I'm considering just going to buy the speakers for myself and never going for ONKYO ever again (just cause of there rubbish service). Ive contact them twice already in September and no one has still replied!!!

Has anyone at all received there speakers?
You may have better luck asking on the European forum (AVForums.com) as this is only a European promotion.
post #290 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom View Post
Uncompressed is technically better. Not sure if you'd notice an audible difference though. Blu-ray lip syncing issue could be the fault of either. Do you have lip sync set to On/Auto on your AVR?
I wasn't able to notice any audible difference so until the menu issue is fixed I'll just leave it on bitstream out.

I do not have any lipsync features on at the moment. It's weird that it only happens when the 24hz feature is enabled for Blu-Ray's. I also have my Comcast box running into the Xbox and I have no lip sync issues at all. I guess I'll just leave 24hz disabled until this issue is fixed as well.
post #291 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've just switched back to Onkyo after a flirtation with a Yamaha VX677 that I never really liked. I installed a TX-NR646 this morning and everything seems to be working but I can't find where to set the Video upconversion. On my older Onkyo and the Yamaha I upconverted everything to 1080p and it looked great but the 646 is just doing pass-thru as far as I can see so my TV is seeing 1080i instead of 1080p. Are these settings hidden somewhere or did they take the video scaler out?
post #292 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post
I've just switched back to Onkyo after a flirtation with a Yamaha VX677 that I never really liked. I installed a TX-NR646 this morning and everything seems to be working but I can't find where to set the Video upconversion. On my older Onkyo and the Yamaha I upconverted everything to 1080p and it looked great but the 646 is just doing pass-thru as far as I can see so my TV is seeing 1080i instead of 1080p. Are these settings hidden somewhere or did they take the video scaler out?
I'm pretty sure that upscaling is only present for the component connection.
post #293 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah-yeah View Post
I'm pretty sure that upscaling is only present for the component connection.
Wow, thats a real step back! So there is no way to upscale everything to 1080p or 4K?, my old HT-R360 could do both of those things as could the yamaha. The 646 may be going back
post #294 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Wow, thats a real step back! So there is no way to upscale everything to 1080p or 4K?, my old HT-R360 could do both of those things as could the yamaha. The 646 may be going back
Upscale what? There is no noticeable difference. 1080p upscale was not noticeable and I'm sure same with 4k upscaling. The extra pixels won't be there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #295 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Can't your TV handle up the scaling?
post #296 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1993 Post(s)
Liked: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
For Onkyo, you'll need to wait for the new Onkyo NR1040 (9CH) and NR3040 (11CH) models available later this fall.
JD: Have not been following this thread lately and am aware of the TX-RZ800/900 but to your knowledge....is there still a 1040 and 3040 on the way?

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #297 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got the nr535 recently and have a 2.1 setup with 2 klipsch floor speakers and a small 100w subwoofer. I watch Netflix and stream videos on my home network through the ps3. I've got the 2 floor speakers and sub hooked up to my receiver. The ps3 is connected via HDMI to the "game" port. The "out" hdmi goes into the back of the TV, into hdmi1.

So very basic setup, shouldn't be too hard. But when I play Netflix or Amazon prime video, I get no dialogue sound. YouTube works fine. My videos on my computer streamed through the ps3...well some work and some have the same muted dialogue issue. Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks a bunch for helping out a newbie.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
post #298 of 2039 Old 09-03-2015, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubisco43 View Post
I just got the nr535 recently and have a 2.1 setup with 2 klipsch floor speakers and a small 100w subwoofer. I watch Netflix and stream videos on my home network through the ps3. I've got the 2 floor speakers and sub hooked up to my receiver. The ps3 is connected via HDMI to the "game" port. The "out" hdmi goes into the back of the TV, into hdmi1.

So very basic setup, shouldn't be too hard. But when I play Netflix or Amazon prime video, I get no dialogue sound. YouTube works fine. My videos on my computer streamed through the ps3...well some work and some have the same muted dialogue issue. Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks a bunch for helping out a newbie.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Did you tell the receiver that you have a center speaker? I wonder if you incorrectly set it up as 3.1 and all the dialogue is being sent to a non-existant speaker.
post #299 of 2039 Old 09-04-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
JD: Have not been following this thread lately and am aware of the TX-RZ800/900 but to your knowledge....is there still a 1040 and 3040 on the way?
AFAIK, Onkyo will not be updating last year's NR1030 and NR3030, rather the RZ800/RZ900 will be the highest level models (ie 7CH only) for 2015.
post #300 of 2039 Old 09-04-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
None of the 2015 Onkyo models features "upscaling," rather pass-through only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
high pitch , onkyo 646 , p75-f1 , signal , TX-NR545/646/747/848

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page