The Official Onkyo 2015 TX-NR545/646/747/848 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1431Likes

post #541 of 2039 Old 10-17-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
FWIW, I've used both Denons (s900 and s910) and Onkyos (646), ended up sticking with the Onkyo, and am glad I did. Part of the reason is because the Denons emitted an annoying speaker hum that I couldn't get rid of. The other reason is that none of these units are perfect and the Onkyo was better in the areas that actually mattered to me in day-to-day use:

- It produced better sound to my ears despite not having Audyssey.

- It can use DSU on DTS tracks (which most of my bluray discs are).

- It runs a lot cooler, which is a big deal because I keep it in a closed cabinet.

- The iOS app is a faster and more intuitive to use.

I agree that the display could be better, but it's something I almost never look at. My eyes are focused on the TV.

Good points, display is a minor annoyance. Onkyo app is much better than denons, which is an abomination and a let down for a major player in avrs. I had an opportunity to test major avr apps and Yamaha's app is the best followed by pioneers AV5 app the onkyo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2039 Old 10-18-2015, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey guys I'm having massive ARC issues and cannot seem to solve them. I just got a new Samsung Ju7100 and the 646 and it just don't wanna use that ARC. I even tried setting the cable box input to "TV" to get the ARC but it just won't play sound.

Also perhaps relatedly, if I go into the tv settings and connect an Anynet CEC device it says it's connecting, sees and displays the Onkyo and then gives me a message saying no devices found. But in the speaker list I have Receiver.

Right now my setup is this just for completeness sake:

Time Warner DVR into Onkyo HDMI 2 (cbl/sat) via hdmi
PS3 into Onkyo HDMI 1 (Blu-ray/dvd) via hdmi
Gaming/HTPC into Onkyo HDMI 3 (strm box) via cdmi

Onkyo to Samsung via HDMI

I have the latest firmware version installed on both tv and receiver.
post #543 of 2039 Old 10-18-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonscars View Post
Hey guys I'm having massive ARC issues and cannot seem to solve them. I just got a new Samsung Ju7100 and the 646 and it just don't wanna use that ARC. I even tried setting the cable box input to "TV" to get the ARC but it just won't play sound.

Also perhaps relatedly, if I go into the tv settings and connect an Anynet CEC device it says it's connecting, sees and displays the Onkyo and then gives me a message saying no devices found. But in the speaker list I have Receiver.

Right now my setup is this just for completeness sake:

Time Warner DVR into Onkyo HDMI 2 (cbl/sat) via hdmi
PS3 into Onkyo HDMI 1 (Blu-ray/dvd) via hdmi
Gaming/HTPC into Onkyo HDMI 3 (strm box) via cdmi

Onkyo to Samsung via HDMI

I have the latest firmware version installed on both tv and receiver.
I had a similar problem and I solved it by doing the following: The ARC output HDMI on the Onkyo to the TV ARC HDMI input/output. I then ran a second HDMI cable from the Onkyo second HDMI out to another HDMI input on the TV. This isolated the ARC channel(sic) to one output and one input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 2039 Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm looking to exchange my recently purchased SONY STR DN 1060 receiver for an ONKYO TX-NR646 due to the numerous issues with its wireless capabilities and SongPal support. Can anyone comment on whether or not the TX-NR646 has a robust wireless system that can be controlled throughout the house in multiple zones and has software that is compatible with popular music apps?
post #545 of 2039 Old 10-20-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Came home today to find that there's a new firmware update for my 646, though Onkyo's website says it was out on 9/30.
post #546 of 2039 Old 10-21-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Some new info I got from my dealer regarding the DTS:X update, or lack of: (Sorry if it's common knowledge, just thought I would drop it here for info).

"We have just had confirmation from Onkyo that the TXNR646 will definitely support DTS:X. However there is a delay on release of this due to the Cirrus Logic Chipset. It seems there are issues with the whole platform not just Onkyo at present, so it is unclear when the update will be available for these. This is the same across the board on this level of receiver apparently as all using the same chip. There are some higher end Yamaha models which should be first to market with the technology."

Personally I don't think a full version of DTSX is going to make it to the onkyo 646 as they have offered me an exchange on mine now or in the future if I want to...

Samsung HU8200 UHD Curved - SEK-3500U/XC One Connect - WD AV/TV HDD - Onkyo TX-NR646 - Dali Atmos Config - Panasonic Blu Ray - ASUS RT-AC66U Router - TIVO Netflix Mubi Amazon - 150Mb Broadband
post #547 of 2039 Old 10-21-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
There was a hint of this happening from another thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post37718937.
post #548 of 2039 Old 10-22-2015, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm returning a Yamaha 677 as it was giving me some handshake issues thinking of buying the NR-545 instead but have a couple questions.

How is the hdmi handshake issues on this unit? Specifically I'm curious how this unit plays with Directv boxes using the passthrough feature everything work fine?

If you guys had to recommend either the Onkyo 545 or the Sony DN860 which would you guys recommend they are both in my price range?

Last edited by jbdawson; 10-22-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #549 of 2039 Old 10-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion6789 View Post
I found the cause of the problem. It's linear PCM. I disabled linear PCM output on my PS3 and the problem went away. Likewise for my PS4 and X1. Dolby and DTS are fine. It only does this with linear PCM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
No, the Onkyo is still the problem. You shouldn't have to do that....
Can you explain what this issue was with the ps4 again? Sound is dropping out for you during games?

I wonder if this is isolated to the 646 anybody know if it happens with the 545?

Last edited by jbdawson; 10-22-2015 at 10:37 PM.
post #550 of 2039 Old 10-22-2015, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post
I'm doing research before going out and purchasing this unit. What was the issue with the ps4 again? Sound is dropping out for you during games?

That would suck did this ever get resolved?
It only affects things like games or if you hook up a laptop/PC when the output is linear PCM. Movies and music are fine. What happens is short transient sounds that are preceded by silence are elided.

What seems to be happening is that it takes time for it to establish the linear PCM connection (~1 second) and if there's no sound being sent to the AVR it drops the connection. With movies/music it's not an issue because there's always an audio signal being sent to the AVR. With a game if no sound effect or music is playing no signal is sent to the receiver and it drops the connection. Where I noticed it most was in some games there'd be a loading screen with no sound, then a cutscene would play and you wouldn't hear the first second of audio.

The whole issue goes away if you set your console to output DTS or Dolby. As far as I know they haven't resolved the issue.
jbdawson likes this.
post #551 of 2039 Old 10-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
I have the same issue on my 646 with AirPlay, it seems that there is something going on on a number of units and a number of members here have experienced the same issue. I done really care because i dont use AirPlay. I do have a denon s700w in another room and has no issues with AirPlay whatsoever.
Does anybody know if the 545 has these AirPlay issues as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion6789 View Post
It only affects things like games or if you hook up a laptop/PC when the output is linear PCM. Movies and music are fine. What happens is short transient sounds that are preceded by silence are elided.

What seems to be happening is that it takes time for it to establish the linear PCM connection (~1 second) and if there's no sound being sent to the AVR it drops the connection. With movies/music it's not an issue because there's always an audio signal being sent to the AVR. With a game if no sound effect or music is playing no signal is sent to the receiver and it drops the connection. Where I noticed it most was in some games there'd be a loading screen with no sound, then a cutscene would play and you wouldn't hear the first second of audio.

The whole issue goes away if you set your console to output DTS or Dolby. As far as I know they haven't resolved the issue.
I gotcha to get the best possible sound isn't the ps4 supposed to be set to linear pcm though? See my edit above was really close to pulling the trigger on the 545, i wonder if it's isolated to the 646? I'll be doing lots of gaming for sure this is disappointing to hear.

Thanks for your reply

Last edited by jbdawson; 10-22-2015 at 11:31 PM.
post #552 of 2039 Old 10-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Does anybody know if the 545 has these AirPlay issues as well?

I gotcha to get the best possible sound isn't the ps4 supposed to be set to linear pcm though? See my edit above was really close to pulling the trigger on the 545, i wonder if it's isolated to the 646? I'll be doing lots of gaming for sure this is disappointing to hear.

Thanks for your reply
Linear PCM is not the best. The PS4 offers lossless DTS-HD and Dolby True HD which are equivalent. I switched my PS4 to DTS-HD. No loss in quality.
jbdawson likes this.
post #553 of 2039 Old 10-23-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
I needed a replacement for my broken TX-NR414 (no sound problem which I understand that they now have a replacement program for that I need to look into). Since I bought a 4K TV a year ago and plan to upgrade my TiVo Roamio to the 4K capable TiVo Bolt I figured that I'd upgrade my AVR. Since I'm in disability retirement with limited funds I shopped for something as inexpensive as possible which would serve my needs: 5.1, at least 5 HDMI inputs, at least one of which being 4K capable (HDMI 2, HDCP 2.2) with CEC. I ended up going with a refurb TX-NR545 from Accessories4Less.com, the only factory authorized e-tailer of factory refurbished Onkyo, which gets me a year's factory warranty.

It gets here today. I'm all atwitter .

(What a freaking minefield shopping for this was! It's soooo easy to mistakenly order something from last year and end up without HDCP 2.2, rendering it useless for 4K streaming services and 4K BD).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #554 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks like I might be returning my TX-NR737 for the TX-NR646 tomorrow. The added features are my main driving force for this, the difference in power is moot. I wonder how the comparison is with the 2 in audio quality. Guess I'll find out tomorrow, unless I pull a full 180 and get the Denon I've been eyeing.

XBR55-X850C, Denon AVR-X3400H, Klipsch's Ref. RB600, RC500, RM14, SW-110, PS4 Pro & VR, Xbox One S, HTPC - 3D Glasses Samsung SSG-5150GB
post #555 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

Just bought a JU7005 UHD Tv (7100 in usa) I just realised that I need a new receiver to I currently got a A-1020 and Yamaha NS-777,NS333 and NCS444 speakers. Would the NR-646 be a good upgrade? It is on a good campaign here in Sweden this weekend so I can get it for 4500SEK (500USD)

Should I get it?
post #556 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim Fridh View Post
Hi guys,

Just bought a JU7005 UHD Tv (7100 in usa) I just realised that I need a new receiver to I currently got a A-1020 and Yamaha NS-777,NS333 and NCS444 speakers. Would the NR-646 be a good upgrade? It is on a good campaign here in Sweden this weekend so I can get it for 4500SEK (500USD)

Should I get it?

I would say yes, go for it. The 646 is jam packed with features and has tons of inputs. It also has a good power supply and sounds pretty good and runs cool. Onkyo control app is pretty good too. Whats not to like.
post #557 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Well, so far I am very happy with my purchase. I was worried about making a step down power wise, losing 4 ohm output and THX rating. However, the fact I gain so much more over the previous receiver out weighted keeping it. Although, the menu system is dated, it is still better than the TX-NR737 I replaced. In terms of audio quality, I seem to have better bass response with neutral settings if I were to compare. I only wish I had some vinyl to test with.

I do have a question for everyone! What loudspeakers is everyone using? I was trying to get a rough idea what everyone is pairing this to setup wise as I plan my what my towers will be and maybe atmos.

I can see why everyone here is please with ownership.

XBR55-X850C, Denon AVR-X3400H, Klipsch's Ref. RB600, RC500, RM14, SW-110, PS4 Pro & VR, Xbox One S, HTPC - 3D Glasses Samsung SSG-5150GB
post #558 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

I posted this in the Yamaha 677 thread and it's my main reason in returning it to purchase the NR545 instead. Can somebody confirm to me that these Onkyo's don't exhibit these issues here in this quoted post?

I would greatly appreciate it as I'm close to pulling the trigger but don't want to deal with the same problem it's basically a handshake issue where passthrough doesn't work until I toggle on/off on the receiver.

Quote:
I got another issue that has me ready to take this unit back if I can't get it sorted. One of the big selling points in why I got this unit was to take advantage of the hdmi passthrough so I don't always HAVE to have my surround sound on.

Why is it that at times (it's happened twice already) when powering up my cable box and tv I'll get no signal? It isn't until I turn the AVR on/off that it will work and then sound comes through to my TV speakers, is that normal?
post #559 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeasuredPath View Post
Well, so far I am very happy with my purchase. I was worried about making a step down power wise, losing 4 ohm output and THX rating. However, the fact I gain so much more over the previous receiver out weighted keeping it. Although, the menu system is dated, it is still better than the TX-NR737 I replaced. In terms of audio quality, I seem to have better bass response with neutral settings if I were to compare. I only wish I had some vinyl to test with.

I do have a question for everyone! What loudspeakers is everyone using? I was trying to get a rough idea what everyone is pairing this to setup wise as I plan my what my towers will be and maybe atmos.

I can see why everyone here is please with ownership.
Because I rent an apartment and have to be mindful of neighbours I have used the following speakers.

Front and centre - Paradigm Cinema 100’s. Surround N.E.A.R bipole/dipole and rear back Klipsch S10’s.

I also use a Paradigm 80 and a Klipsch subwoofer utilising the DSPeaker unit to balance them.
MeasuredPath likes this.
post #560 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I posted this in the Yamaha 677 thread and it's my main reason in returning it to purchase the NR545 instead. Can somebody confirm to me that these Onkyo's don't exhibit these issues here in this quoted post?

I would greatly appreciate it as I'm close to pulling the trigger but don't want to deal with the same problem it's basically a handshake issue where passthrough doesn't work until I toggle on/off on the receiver.

I just tested it and it works, including passthrough of HDCP 2.2, allowing 4K video from my 2015 Amazon Fire TV. If I switch to an HDMI source and then turn the TV speakers on, which causes the TV to turn off the AVR via CEC, I get video and audio through the TV's speakers (I briefly thought there was a problem with the FTV, since sound from Amazon Instant Video was screwed up, but it turned out that I'd specified a setting to force it to output DD+ which the TV's internal sound processing cannot handle; I turned that off and it worked).

This worked fine with my defunct Onkyo TX-NR515 as well.

post #561 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I just tested it and it works, including passthrough of HDCP 2.2, allowing 4K video from my 2015 Amazon Fire TV. If I switch to an HDMI source and then turn the TV speakers on, which causes the TV to turn off the AVR via CEC, I get video and audio through the TV's speakers (I briefly thought there was a problem with the FTV, since sound from Amazon Instant Video was screwed up, but it turned out that I'd specified a setting to force it to output DD+ which the TV's internal sound processing cannot handle; I turned that off and it worked).

This worked fine with my defunct Onkyo TX-NR515 as well.
Thanks for that one thing though it worked fine for me that way if the AVR was on and then I shut it off and played TV through the speakers. How about if all devices are OFF and then you turn ON only the ftv and TV does passthrough work then (without touching anything on the AVR and not using CEC)?
post #562 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that one thing though it worked fine for me that way if the AVR was on and then I shut it off and played TV through the speakers. How about if all devices are OFF and then you turn ON only the ftv and TV does passthrough work then (without touching anything on the AVR and not using CEC)?
This works if the FTV's input was the last selected one. There is no way to turn FTV "off" short of unplugging it, though it seems to go into some form of standby state when it loses HDMI connection to the upstream source.

To test this, I had to turn CEC control off in my TV, enabled so that it can temporarily switch the AVR to the proper source if I choose to watch one of its apps, whose sound is output through optical S/PDIF, since I use an input on the television without ARC. (I use HDMI 5, the only input on my Vizio P-Series television capable of [email protected] and [email protected]; it also has outstandingly low display latency on that input, great for the performance of some types of video games). With CEC enabled, the TV starts with its internal speakers disabled and turns on the AVR if it's not already on; with CEC off it does not turn the AVR on and enables its speakers on startup.

I recall having to set something to make the input selected at AVR power-on to be the last one used, but I can't find that setting now. I might be mistaken about that, since there are other setup parameters with "last one used" value.
jbdawson likes this.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 10-25-2015 at 09:49 PM.
post #563 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

^^

Awesome stuff Michael appreciate you checking that for me going to pull the trigger
post #564 of 2039 Old 10-25-2015, 11:18 PM

Returned the TX-NR646 as it threw an error and had issues with airplay that spiked my audio sharply. Dunno how common this this, but it showed this on the display "NG:L R BL BR". Going to pick up a Denon AVR-X3100 tomorrow.

post #565 of 2039 Old 10-26-2015, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Returned the TX-NR646 as it threw an error and had issues with airplay that spiked my audio sharply. Dunno how common this this, but it showed this on the display "NG:L R BL BR". Going to pick up a Denon AVR-X3100 tomorrow.
That's a common issue with onkyos....not sure why, but the failure rate is very high with onks.
post #566 of 2039 Old 10-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hopefully this isn't a issue on the 545 as I'd like to use my AirPlay.
post #567 of 2039 Old 10-27-2015, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Airplay, Zone 2, and the 646

I've read a lot of comments about how Airplay (when not using an Apple TV) isn't working so well on this receiver. Specifically, it seems to crackling or popping. Airplay in Zone 2 is a big factor in my decision to purchase this or a different receiver. Is anyone not having this problem when using the receiver's built-in Airplay? In the main zone and/or in Zone 2?

Also, if you start an Airplay source in Zone 2, does the main zone get highjacked? In other words, will the main zone switch from its own source (e.g. DVD) to the Airplay source that is playing in Zone 2?

I know many receivers, including the Denon S710W that I'm considering, have this issue, requiring the user to manually reselect the Main Zone’s original source after the Airplay source has begun. Is this true of the NR646, as well?

Thanks!
post #568 of 2039 Old 10-28-2015, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had no problems with Airplay playback on the 646.
but I don't have my Zone 2 active, I'm just using the main Zone.
post #569 of 2039 Old 10-28-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
post #570 of 2039 Old 10-28-2015, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio Amaral View Post
Same. No issues with Airplay. I'm only using a 5.1 setup at the moment, so can't comment on your Zone 2 question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
high pitch , onkyo 646 , p75-f1 , signal , TX-NR545/646/747/848

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page