The Official Onkyo 2015 TX-NR545/646/747/848 Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1431Likes

post #871 of 2039 Old 02-17-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
No, still no DTS:X on the Onkyo 646.

Thanks lujan. Greatly appreciated.
Has Onkyo announced when?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2039 Old 02-17-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4771 Post(s)
Liked: 2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post
Thanks lujan. Greatly appreciated.
Has Onkyo announced when?
Last time I spoke with Onkyo they just said "soon" but who knows how long that means?

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #873 of 2039 Old 02-17-2016, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question

I am having an unusual issue with my TX-NR747. Anytime I send a 4.0 PCM audio signal to the Onkyo there is no sound coming from the rear channels. It's only with PCM 4.0 that I have no rear channels. If I play 5.1, 7.1 they all work fine. The TX-NR747 isn't down mixing the rear channels of the 4.0 into the front, it is losing the two rear channels. When I press the display button on the TX-NR747 remote it shows that it is receiving a 4.0PCM signal. It also shows that the Onkyo is sending out a 4.0 PCM signal however the rear channels simply are not there. It doesn't make a difference what the source of the audio is or what I am playing it back on. I tried 3 different Blu-ray players and a laptop all using HDMI out. I tried multiple formats. DVD-A, FLAC, and it's all the same. If the players decode it to PCM and sends it 4.0 there are no rear channels.
I first notice the issue playing back the Blu-ray discs included in the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets. With the quad audio settings my rear speakers were silent. Setting the mix to the 5.1 mix played back the desired results. After that I downloaded some 4.0 FLAC files and tired some 4.0 DVD-A discs. Same thing, no rear channels. I finally attached my laptop to the TX-NR747 and set the speakers to 4.0 surround in Windows control panel. When I ran the speaker test no audio was coming out of the rear channels. When I set the speakers to 5.1 or 7.1 in Windows the rear channels played with no problem.
I don't understand what the issue could be and Onkyo is basically giving me the run around. My main Blu-ray player is the Oppo BDP-83SE which I also use for DVD-A discs but I tried a few different Samsung players (mainly for the FLAC files which I played off a thumb drive) and everything was the same. Why would the TX-NR747 not be able to play 4.0 PCM?

Last edited by uVSthem; 02-18-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 2039 Old 02-17-2016, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looking to put a 646 in my basement HT room and power the rest of the basement ceiling speakers with the zone 2 built into the 646. A few things I'm trying to figure out before I buy it. Can the zone 2 actually power the speakers without an additional amp as the rear of it looks like it can send a powerd signal. Can I also then while simultaneously using zone 2 in the basement, send a separate pre amp stereo signal to my upstairs AVR in the event I want to use the downstairs analog content as a source for the upstairs avr? i.e. use it almost like a zone 3 but sending zone 2 analog content. I've read varying accounts on this thread while the 646 write up seems to indicate all of these things are possible.

It sounds crazy, but I'm having a tough time finding all of the features that my upstairs 616 has in a 2015 or 2014 budget avr. The 616 has a powered (or preamp) and variable zone 2 plus an unpowered zone 3 and part mode to tie all three zones together. Before the basement project is drywalled and I'm running all the wires, I'm trying to make so the upstairs avr can be used as a source for a downstairs 646 and vice versa.

Last edited by jkust; 02-17-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #875 of 2039 Old 02-17-2016, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Not sure if anyone is interested but the 545 is on sale at Best Buy Now for $349.
post #876 of 2039 Old 02-18-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My Onkyo TX-NR646 often has no audio for one to ten seconds and then there's audio. This happens often after fast forwarding my FiOS DVR and then playing normally. It also happens in video games when the screen changes, and audio starts playing. The beginning of the audio will be cut off. Is there a way to fix this? I'm using HDMI only.
post #877 of 2039 Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTD79 View Post
My Onkyo TX-NR646 often has no audio for one to ten seconds and then there's audio. This happens often after fast forwarding my FiOS DVR and then playing normally. It also happens in video games when the screen changes, and audio starts playing. The beginning of the audio will be cut off. Is there a way to fix this? I'm using HDMI only.
I have the same issue but I attributed it to 2.2 HDCP and the more processing required for Ultra HD, etc. I use mostly HDMI except for one device which doesn't seem to have this problem.

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #878 of 2039 Old 02-18-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I have the same issue but I attributed it to 2.2 HDCP and the more processing required for Ultra HD, etc. I use mostly HDMI except for one device which doesn't seem to have this problem.
Thanks for the reply. If I'm only doing 1080p and below, why would that still happen? It's annoying because I often have to rewind like 10 seconds back into commercials so the audio will start on time during the show I'm watching.
post #879 of 2039 Old 02-18-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. If I'm only doing 1080p and below, why would that still happen? It's annoying because I often have to rewind like 10 seconds back into commercials so the audio will start on time during the show I'm watching.
I know what you mean, I have to look for an area of the video where I think there's a longer pause between dialog so that I can pause it to go take care of business. You could also contact Onkyo and see what they have to say?

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #880 of 2039 Old 02-18-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Yes this happens to me to sometimes. annoying. I also have this problem where when I start playing a recording, the first 5 seconds are choppy and the audio is out of sync. then after 5 seconds its fine. do you get that?

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.jvpix.com
post #881 of 2039 Old 02-18-2016, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

It is annoying, but it is is normal for the 646 and is mentioned in the manual. It says that the delay is due to the identification of the format of the audio.
post #882 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleChem View Post
It is annoying, but it is is normal for the 646 and is mentioned in the manual. It says that the delay is due to the identification of the format of the audio.
Understood but my audio starts within a second, no matter what the source.

There's a lot of RF and noise at the back of a TV/AVR and I just wonder that if noise can get onto the HDMI cable it takes the AVR a longer time to work out the audio type.... So is the answer really a better quality HDMI cable with individually-screened wires?

Rev.
post #883 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 05:21 AM

I notice my 545 does this when I change inputs sometimes while watching TV. I'll be watching TV and then change inputs or maybe go to the 545 settings menu to adjust something. Once I go to the settings menu the video and audio stops. When I exit the settings menu it goes back to the TV but the audio never comes on. I have to turn off and then turn on the receiver to get it back.

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub
post #884 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedesert View Post
I notice my 545 does this when I change inputs sometimes while watching TV. I'll be watching TV and then change inputs or maybe go to the 545 settings menu to adjust something. Once I go to the settings menu the video and audio stops. When I exit the settings menu it goes back to the TV but the audio never comes on. I have to turn off and then turn on the receiver to get it back.
I can understand if the audio is off for a few seconds and then comes back. but if it doesn't come back, that's a problem Onkyo needs to fix. sometimes when it happens while watching a recording, I stop the playback and start it again and the audio is back. luckily it continues from where it left off.

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.jvpix.com
post #885 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipeleshok View Post
I've been having some issues with my new TX-NR646 receiver when playing 5.1 surround sound sources. I first noticed this issue during a 5.1 movie on Netflix, where I could hear a low decibel crackling static sound. The static is erratic, and the loudness is not consistent and can fluctuate, but what is consistent is that the static only appears during 5.1 sources. I can tolerate it for the most part, but it's fairly obvious during scenes of silence or low background noise.

Stereo sources are crystal clear on all speakers with no background noise, but 5.1 sources always initiate it. It's worth noting that stereo sources play comfortably at a volume of 30, but 5.1 sources require me to bump up the volume to 40-50. Also, the noise appears to only be coming out of the tweeters, but I'm not 100% sure.

My firmware is up-to-date on the receiver. I've tried Netflix on several sources, but Blu-ray sources do the same thing. I've also tried disabling DD+ as some forums have suggested, but to no avail.

Any advice? Any suggestions for further testing? Any settings I could adjust?

I would like to try another brand of receiver to see if there is similar behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipeleshok View Post
After some additional troubleshooting, I noticed that the static sound (digital noise) occurred only for HDMI input selections and even occurred when there was no HDMI source plugged in. This led me to believe it was a receiver issue, as I originally suspected. I exchanged the receiver for another one and, sure enough, the problem was gone. I'm assuming this was a faulty HDMI board issue, which are prone to Onkyo receivers.
I wonder if this is the same problem I'm having. I'm more hopeful since I read ipeleshok's post that he exchanged it for another one and the problem was gone, so I'll do that tonight.

It seems to me that the TX-NR646 introduces extra noise when the source is a 5.1 or higher signal. This can be DD+, TrueHD, any DTS variant or even PCM 5.1 like the AppleTV 4 outputs when it's set to auto (don't even get me started on that). Surely if the audio in the scene is loud and has a lot of background noise, you barely hear it, but if it's a low volume scene, like for example two people talking without background music, you can definitely hear a constant hiss. Here's the catch: initially I thought it might have been part of the movie's original audio, because when I paused them the hiss/noise was gone. But then I realized that it's because of the design of each device. My devices are a Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, a Roku 2 (4210X) and an Apple TV 4. When you're watching something on the Apple TV or on the Blu-ray player, and you pause it, they stop sending the bitstream to the receiver. If you press the bottom right button on the remote that shows you the information for the incoming audio signal, you don't see anything.

The Roku, however, behaves differently. When you're playing a DD+ title from Netflix or Amazon Prime, and you pause it, it keeps sending a DD+ signal to the receiver, which again you can verify by pressing the info button and it shows you that it's receiving said signal. Well, when I pause something in the Roku, I can tell right away that the hiss/noise is not in the movie or TV show, it's being produced by the TX-NR646, but only when the source is a 5.1 or higher signal. Obviously I notice this noise much more when wearing headphones because they are right next to my ears. However, if I use my speakers, that hiss comes out of all the speakers and the subwoofer, although of course in the subwoofer's case it's a hum rather than a hiss.

Last weekend I was watching "The Martian", which has DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, and I didn't notice it too much until the end when Matt Damon is talking to a group of students. There's barely any background noise, but the hiss produced by the receiver was so loud that it was distracting. The interesting thing is that the Blu-ray player, when I pause it, pauses the movie immediately, but it keeps sending the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 signal to the receiver for about half a second, during which this noise/hiss is present, but no audio from the movie is, so you can tell it's definitely a problem with the receiver.

Obviously every receiver will introduce some degree of background noise, but my last one, a Pioneer VSX-1020-K, you had to raise the volume all the way up to hear any background noise coming out of the speakers or the headphones.

Another interesting fact; when I switch the source to PCM 2.0, in other words, plain old stereo, this noise is never present. If I switch the Roku to 2.0 and I watch anything and I pause it, I can't hear this hiss at all at normal volume levels. So this is a problem that the TX-NR646 has when processing multichannel signals. Somehow, when it has to convert those signals from pure digital to analog so it can be output through the speakers or headphones, it introduces a lot of noise.

I just hope that this is a matter of a defective unit rather than a design issue, because other than that, I'm very satisfied with this receiver. The sound is unbelievable for both movies and music, which is more than you can say nowadays for most receivers.

Last edited by Sebastian_A; 02-19-2016 at 09:01 AM.
post #886 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 136
HDMI 6 & 7 Question

Got my unit set-up and no serious problems but I do have a question. How come HDMI 6 & 7 don't show up in the on screen list? I have my HD DVD player connected to HDMI 6 but the manual is not clear on how to select that input for viewing and like I said the input is not on the overlaid set-up menu. That is the only problem I'm having thus far.
post #887 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
Got my unit set-up and no serious problems but I do have a question. How come HDMI 6 & 7 don't show up in the on screen list? I have my HD DVD player connected to HDMI 6 but the manual is not clear on how to select that input for viewing and like I said the input is not on the overlaid set-up menu. That is the only problem I'm having thus far.
I had the same question. you have to go into the settings and tell it which button/source to assign to it. I'm not at home right now so I can't check what settings exactly.

Www.jvpix.com
post #888 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocci View Post
I had the same question. you have to go into the settings and tell it which button/source to assign to it. I'm not at home right now so I can't check what settings exactly.
Thanks Velocci. I couldn't find any clear explanation in the manual so if you remember precisely what you did please let me know.
post #889 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleChem View Post
I found this on En-58 in the manual:
The beginning of audio received by an HDMI IN cannot be heard.
Since it takes longer to identify the format of an HDMI signal than it does for other digital audio signals, audio output may not start immediately.

I didn't have this problem with my Denon AVR-1911. I hope they fix it.
WrathWielder likes this.
post #890 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, i have problem with my 7 months old TX NR747. Front left channel has stopped working. I'm hoping someone can advice any tweaks or if the issue needs to see a Onkyo service Centre
post #891 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kascu View Post
Hi all, i have problem with my 7 months old TX NR747. Front left channel has stopped working. I'm hoping someone can advice any tweaks or if the issue needs to see a Onkyo service Centre
go into the settings and into the area to control the individual db levels of the speakers. maybe the left side is all the way down?

Www.jvpix.com
post #892 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 12:57 PM

Thanks velocci I have done but no success. Even I had done hard reset but cannot proceed as front channel has error i.e. Not working
post #893 of 2039 Old 02-19-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

does it say on the front of the receiver that there's an error? look up that error in the manual and see what it says. If it doesn't say error and you just don't hear anything on the left speaker, swap speakers and if the left side still doesn't work, then its either the AVR, settings are left speaker wire. If the right side has no sound, then its the speaker. or you can plug in headphones and see if there is sound on the left side. but i'm not sure if headphones use the same channels as normal speakers?

Www.jvpix.com
post #894 of 2039 Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 AM

I have tried all means. It seems a Tx Nr747 hardware issue. I have decided to take it to a service centre.
post #895 of 2039 Old 02-20-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
Thanks Velocci. I couldn't find any clear explanation in the manual so if you remember precisely what you did please let me know.
on the 646, press Settings, go in option 1, then option 2

Www.jvpix.com
post #896 of 2039 Old 02-22-2016, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Mate,

I have also had the same issue for the last few months now. Airplay was working fine when i got the unit about 7 months ago, but now after connecting it doesn't play anything at all

I think one of the updates may have broken the feature! I can't remember if i had tested to see if airplay worked after my last update which was done about 4 months ago. Im probably not on the latest firmware anymore, as theres probably newer ones, but Airplay was definitely working fine with the original firmware!
post #897 of 2039 Old 02-22-2016, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi guys, on the 646 I plugged in a network cable into the AVR and to enable the wired connection it seems you have to turn off wireless. but when I do, my router does not see my AVR. I tried a different network cable and there are link lights on the router. Is there something I need to do on the AVR side? there are no settings available once you turn off wireless.

Www.jvpix.com
post #898 of 2039 Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Hi guys, on the 646 I plugged in a network cable into the AVR and to enable the wired connection it seems you have to turn off wireless. but when I do, my router does not see my AVR. I tried a different network cable and there are link lights on the router. Is there something I need to do on the AVR side? there are no settings available once you turn off wireless.

Possible bad input on your router. Try connecting your laptop to the same cable your plugging into the AVR. If it works hook the AVR back up and go into the setup menu. Look for Hardware, then network. If the menu is like the 545 you will see the wifi on/off option only. Arrow down and the hard wire menu will come up. Scroll down and make sure DHCP is enabled. Scroll down to the end and select Network check. Start the check and see what happens. If it comes back bad it's probably your router which depending on the manufacturer could be a number of things.

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub
post #899 of 2039 Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
I've since changed back to wireless in order to have both my Roku and TV hardwired...but when I initially setup my 646, I had it hardwired to download the latest drivers and had to do nothing. The 646 utilized the cat6 in favor of wireless without me having to turn it off and I saw my receiver pop up on my TPLink. Sounds like the connection might be bad. I 2nd the suggestion of trying a laptop out on the same router connection.

Samsung 55" JS8500
7.1 Setup:
Onkyo TX-NR646, Chane A1.4 & A2.4 (LCR), Yamaha NS-IC600 surr, TDG Audio NFC-61 back surr, SVS SB-2000
Samsung K8500, Roku Premiere+ and Roku 2, Harmony 650
post #900 of 2039 Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwilliams1 View Post
I've since changed back to wireless in order to have both my Roku and TV hardwired...but when I initially setup my 646, I had it hardwired to download the latest drivers and had to do nothing. The 646 utilized the cat6 in favor of wireless without me having to turn it off and I saw my receiver pop up on my TPLink. Sounds like the connection might be bad. I 2nd the suggestion of trying a laptop out on the same router connection.
when I turn off wireless, it says its using wired. under that there are absolutely no settings. I already tried another port on the router and another cable. the other port and cable were being used by my media streamer and it was working fine. so its not the router or cable.

Www.jvpix.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
high pitch , onkyo 646 , p75-f1 , signal , TX-NR545/646/747/848

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page