The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4233Likes

post #3331 of 9879 Old 03-11-2017, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Cool I'll give that a shot, thanks!

I figured the drastic difference probably had something to do with all the different DSP's. I was just surprised the subs would need so much additional delay over the left and right speakers since they also go through DSP processing.
I'm pretty sure the lip sync delay works in 10 ms steps and I have mine set around 100 ms for one input. The delay between your sub and speakers is less than the minimum amount of lip sync delay you could apply. Hardly drastic...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 9879 Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamis View Post
Just got my AVM60 this week - so far very very happy. Just did ARC and so far it sounds great.

Here is my question - isn't Play-Fi supposed to be able to do hi-res audio? I have a NAS server with HD audio on it. I'm able to find the server and the files on the Play-Fi app and they play on the AVM60, except when I click the INFO button it only says that the audio is coming thru at 44.1 and not 96 or 192.

Any ideas? Hopefully I'm doing something dumb.

On a more general note, what are people's favorite ways to get hi-res audio on to the AVM60?

The sound on this is great - so far I am less than impressed with Play-Fi. BubbleUPnP for Android seems better, except it doesn't seem to work with the AVM60.

Thanks,

David
David are both your server and AVM 60 connected via Ethernet? Did you also enable hi res audio in DTS-Play-Fi?

You can only get HiRes on one speaker at a time and if you aren't on Ethernet your music files will be downsampled.

You can also use JRiver and feed an HDMI cable or SPDIF cable directly from your server to get hires files.

post #3333 of 9879 Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamis View Post
Just got my AVM60 this week - so far very very happy. Just did ARC and so far it sounds great.

…snip
On a more general note, what are people's favorite ways to get hi-res audio on to the AVM60?
…snip
I have a dedicated mac mini connected to the AVM 60 via HDMI. I use it to stream uncompressed and high-res FLAC files via Roon. The only down-side to the AVM 60 is that it doesn't decode DSD, so I have to a PCM conversion in Roon before they'll play. My Oppo will do DSD, so I play SACDs in it.

LG 65E6P | Parasound A51 | Anthem AVM 60 | B&W 803D, HTM2D2 | Anticables
Oppo UDP-203 for transport | Clearaudio Performance DC Wood for analogue | Mac mini for streaming
Roon for music catalogue | Plex for video catalogue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 9879 Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have run some ARC comparisons with REQ. I did this by creating a front HDMI input on the Anthem AVM60. I then ran REQ with that input and applied ARC and then removed ARC on that input. I did this just for the Left and Right channels with subwoofer. In some ways I was surprised that the correction was relatively limited. Please let me know if I am using the wrong approach to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REQ Graph.png
Views:	60
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2020705   Click image for larger version

Name:	REQ_ARC2.png
Views:	57
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	2020713  

Anthem AVM60 - ATI 2005 - ATI NC528 - Linkwitz LX521 Mains - Monitor Audio Gold C250 Center - Dynaudio Audience 42 Surround - Dynaudio Audience 52 rears - Velodyne DD-15 - Rythmik Audio F15HP - Oppo BDP-105D - Oppo UDP-203 - Sony PS4 Pro - Xbox One X - Layer3tv - LG OLED65E8PUA - Thorens TD-124 - Lounge Audio Gold phono preamp - PS Audio Premier power
post #3335 of 9879 Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Cool I'll give that a shot, thanks!

I figured the drastic difference probably had something to do with all the different DSP's. I was just surprised the subs would need so much additional delay over the left and right speakers since they also go through DSP processing.
Your DCi has a tone gen in it as well if you want to test that. The amount of delay that the DCI adds will definitely affect the measured distance that the AVM will do. It is typically preferred to use one DSP source or another but not both.

I ended up just measuring my subs with REW (it's free) because I use 2 different type of subs so it gets complicated.

It will really just involve you playing with it. Might be that you let the AVM measure and then transfer the settings to the DCi and then remeasure if you prefer the DCi's abilities to the AVM (I do). The DCi's have a lot of ability for processing that's for sure!
post #3336 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
Morning,

I'm hoping someone could help me out with a major headache I'm having with the Anthem as I'm just about pulling my hair out. I recently put together a system consisting of:

LG G6 Oled
Anthem AVM 60
PS4 Pro
Mac mini (late 2012)

The problem is this: with HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour enabled on the G6 (on inputs 1 and 2) the anthem doesn't seem to be able to output a stable signal. What happens is this:

With the Mac mini the display on the Anthem cycles between 'no signal' and '1080p' without locking on to a signal. On the odd occasion it does lock-on (sometimes after 10 or so minutes) engaging the OSD (even by increasing the volume) destabilised the signal and it returns to intermittent display on the TV. With the PS4 Pro the display initially flashes '4K' then 'no signal' and then starts switching between the two. When I do get a stable signal it's at 1080p with the display output menu on the PS4 stating that the TV is only 1080p and HDCP 1.4. During this period of 'cycling' the anthem GUI doesn't appear on the screen at all. Finally...if I switch the TV off, the display on the Anthem stops cycling and shows the relevant input !?

When I turn HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour off on the G6 the signal from the PS4 is stable (but the PS4 Pro display output states it's a 4K HDCP 2.2 TV but not HDR capable) and the signal from the Mac stabilises after 3 or 4 flashes.

When I connect the PS4 Pro and Mac mini directly to the TV (using the same HDMI High Speed Cables) and with Deep Colour enabled on the G6 I have no issues whatsoever; the signal lock is pretty much instant and the PS4 Pro correctly detects the display as being full 4K and HDR capable.

Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Sounds like a cable issue.

HDMI is a system, just be cause a cable works between two devices, doesn't mean it will work between two other devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Like stanger89, I wonder about your HDMI cables. My old HDMI cables were fine with my old gear, but the AVM 60 was cranky about them right out of the box. I wound up buying new ones from Blue Jeans Cable (Series-FE, good and inexpensive).

So, think of this as a sanity check. What cables are you using? Are they certified high speed HDMI cables?
Quote:
All four are High Speed (and from different brands). I bought them from amazon and I've tried each one direct from the source to the TV and they carry the full fat 4K HDR signal. If they were at fault then they wouldn't have worked ?

A receiver can't really afford to be 'cranky', it is by design supposed sit between a source and a display so decent compatibility should surely be a design goal.
So based on the recommendations I purchased a whole new set of 'premium cables' rated at the 18gbps and swapped all the cables out - I have the exact same problem. Thats 5 different sets of cables I've tried now so I know it's not a cable problem. Whilst experimenting I noticed something really weird:

With the Mac off the Anthem GUI works i.e. I can see the set-up menu displayed on the screen even with no source on. When I put the Mac (or PS4) on the Anthem 'stops' sending a signal and GUI doesn't show up again.
post #3337 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
I'm pretty sure the lip sync delay works in 10 ms steps and I have mine set around 100 ms for one input. The delay between your sub and speakers is less than the minimum amount of lip sync delay you could apply. Hardly drastic...
Compared to that it's not drastic at all. It's not not even relatively drastic, I just found it interesting and wanted to make sure what I was hearing was accurate. Before the Crown DCi with it's DSP, I had Seaton Catalyst 12C's which also had their own signal processing, DSP, active crossovers etc and the delay needed for the subs wasn't nearly as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Your DCi has a tone gen in it as well if you want to test that. The amount of delay that the DCI adds will definitely affect the measured distance that the AVM will do. It is typically preferred to use one DSP source or another but not both.

I ended up just measuring my subs with REW (it's free) because I use 2 different type of subs so it gets complicated.

It will really just involve you playing with it. Might be that you let the AVM measure and then transfer the settings to the DCi and then remeasure if you prefer the DCi's abilities to the AVM (I do). The DCi's have a lot of ability for processing that's for sure!
The DSP I'm using in the DCi amp are just the JBL Anechoic settings for the 708i's that are supposed to be used with the speakers. I haven't done any other tweaking other than gain. I left the room correction aspect of it to ARC and only correct up to about 350Hz in my room.

Right now I have an 8 year old Macbook pro that doesn't work with Audio Architect or ARC either for that matter. To use Audio Architect, I have to bring the amps into a separate room where I have a old desktop computer to upload the proper settings into the amp, then install the amp in the theater room. To use ARC, I had to use an even crappier laptop that just barely runs ARC but can't seem to run Audio Architect. Once the new Dell XPS 15's start showing up at Best Buy/Micro-Center, that problem will be history
post #3338 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
So based on the recommendations I purchased a whole new set of 'premium cables' rated at the 18gbps and swapped all the cables out - I have the exact same problem. Thats 5 different sets of cables I've tried now so I know it's not a cable problem. Whilst experimenting I noticed something really weird:

With the Mac off the Anthem GUI works i.e. I can see the set-up menu displayed on the screen even with no source on. When I put the Mac (or PS4) on the Anthem 'stops' sending a signal and GUI doesn't show up again.
It isn't clear to me what you mean by 'premium cables'. Page 10 of the manual says "Use only certified High Speed cables...", and that's the part that would be nice to put to bed.

What specific cable and model are you trying to use? Others may be able to post based on their experience with those cables, too.
post #3339 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Used part of yesterday to re-run ARC, could not get the bloody thing to be seen on the network by ARC (again), even though it is connected to wireless and PlayFi working, all that. Pulling power fixed it, but geeez, this thing has issues with networking. Not Anthem's specialty I guess. Got ARC running, set up for 7 positions, after the 3rd position, software indicated it lost communication with the microphone at every other subsequent position. At first, thought the cable connection at the mic. just got buggered by me moving the rig. But I know the computer itself never lost communication because when I unplugged the cable I'd hear the *bing* of the USB device being disconnected, which had the connection at the mic. been bad, would have triggered that. Replugging, no problem, and on it went. 4 more times. Obnoxious. I certainly hope the rest of you don't have as many issues as I do. But, ultimately success - glad I don't have to run ARC frequently.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3340 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Compared to that it's not drastic at all. It's not not even relatively drastic, I just found it interesting and wanted to make sure what I was hearing was accurate. Before the Crown DCi with it's DSP, I had Seaton Catalyst 12C's which also had their own signal processing, DSP, active crossovers etc and the delay needed for the subs wasn't nearly as much.

The DSP I'm using in the DCi amp are just the JBL Anechoic settings for the 708i's that are supposed to be used with the speakers. I haven't done any other tweaking other than gain. I left the room correction aspect of it to ARC and only correct up to about 350Hz in my room.

Right now I have an 8 year old Macbook pro that doesn't work with Audio Architect or ARC either for that matter. To use Audio Architect, I have to bring the amps into a separate room where I have a old desktop computer to upload the proper settings into the amp, then install the amp in the theater room. To use ARC, I had to use an even crappier laptop that just barely runs ARC but can't seem to run Audio Architect. Once the new Dell XPS 15's start showing up at Best Buy/Micro-Center, that problem will be history

Sweet!! The 708's are really fun!! The DCi's are fantastic IMO. I use 2 8|600N's a 2|1250N and a Itech 5000 (going to replace it with a DCi as well).

Yep, you will be able to tweak as soon as you get your laptop.

The way you are using them the only thing you should see is the increase distance because of the DCi settings. Keep us updated!
Blackdevil77 likes this.
post #3341 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sweet!! The 708's are really fun!! The DCi's are fantastic IMO. I use 2 8|600N's a 2|1250N and a Itech 5000 (going to replace it with a DCi as well).

Yep, you will be able to tweak as soon as you get your laptop.

The way you are using them the only thing you should see is the increase distance because of the DCi settings. Keep us updated!
Yes they are, they really have impressed the hell out of me. Why are you replacing an I-tech with a DCi amp? What speakers were you using with the I-tech amp?

Will do, definitely. Next week end I should have more time to play around.
post #3342 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Why are you replacing an I-tech with a DCi amp? What speakers were you using with the I-tech amp?
I like matching amps!!

I might even sell the 2|1250 and get a 4|1250 or even a 4|2400! These are sub duty only!!

The two 8|600's are for mains and surrounds!
Blackdevil77 likes this.
post #3343 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like matching amps!!

I might even sell the 2|1250 and get a 4|1250 or even a 4|2400! These are sub duty only!!

The two 8|600's are for mains and surrounds!
I see, makes sense. They're fantastic amps, I like mine very much. Something cool about using the same amps in my home theater that actual theaters use
post #3344 of 9879 Old 03-12-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is most certainly an Anthem issue. Try re-installing the current firmware and then doing a soft reset following the procedures previously posted in this thread.

Hopefully a new firmware will fix these lingering network issues some users are still experiencing
post #3345 of 9879 Old 03-13-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Here's the real secret solution: You then repeat the quick measure procedure on the second sub (make sure you turn the first one off) and try to mitigate the suckout frequency from the first sub by finding a location that does not have the same suckout frequency...
You may be missing something big here - the freq resp with both subs running may or may not be anywhere close to the sum of each sub's separate response.

For example, it's possible for both subs to have a suckout at the same freq when run separately, but for the suckout to disappear when they're played together.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 03-13-2017 at 09:26 AM.
post #3346 of 9879 Old 03-13-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
You may be missing something big here - the freq resp with both subs running may or may not be anywhere close to the sum of each sub's separate response.

For example, it's possible for both subs to have a suckout at the same freq when run separately, but for the suckout to disappear when they're played together.
That's why QuickMeasure is such an invaluable tool: You have the ability to see how each sub measures individually and then see the aggregate results of your efforts.

Using this individual method with QuickMeasure is clearly more time consuming but can give better end results.

post #3347 of 9879 Old 03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
If you think the amps are cool, try out cinema speakers. Did you get your M2's yet?
Oh yeah, I can imagine! If I had a room big enough, I'd probably use them.

Nope, not yet. Everyone will know when that happens, I'll be on here gushing about them lol.
post #3348 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Just loving my new avm60.
Still need to do ARC, but without at moment sounds amazing...
Had the yamaha cxa5100, Rotel, Marantz av7703 and Marantz Av7702MKIi.

Anthem even without ARC sounds much more dynamic and wow, the vocals and center channel sounds amazing and rich, and full..

Have a question...

I noticed that when using dts hd MA movies, I can apply dts Neural-x and also can apply dolby surround to it..

However,..
When watching dd true hd I can only apply dolby surround and NOT dts Neural-x..

Is this normal at moment for dts hd MA and dd true hd?

I can get atmos and dtsx working also. So that is fine...
Thanks
post #3349 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wireless Hiccup

I have unfortunately joined the group of people experiencing AVM 60 wireless networking anomalies.

After installing some acoustic treatment yesterday, I wanted to run ARC again for the first time since February 23rd. No big deal, right? My wireless configuration had been solid up to this point. Fire up ARC... can't find the AVM 60. Huh?

Turns out that the AVM 60 no longer had any of my wireless settings. It wasn't a big deal to re-enter the data, but seriously, when I put data on a flash drive it stays there. So what the heck happened?

Anthem got a lot of things right on the AVM 60, but based on the issues exposed in this thread and now this inexplicable behavior, networking looks like the Achilles heel.
post #3350 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Quote:
So what exactly did you get?

Quote:
What is the Anthem front display showing? What's probably happening is the Mac/PS4 are switching to a signal format that isn't making it to your display.
post #3351 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have unfortunately joined the group of people experiencing AVM 60 wireless networking anomalies.

After installing some acoustic treatment yesterday, I wanted to run ARC again for the first time since February 23rd. No big deal, right? My wireless configuration had been solid up to this point. Fire up ARC... can't find the AVM 60. Huh?

Turns out that the AVM 60 no longer had any of my wireless settings. It wasn't a big deal to re-enter the data, but seriously, when I put data on a flash drive it stays there. So what the heck happened?

Anthem got a lot of things right on the AVM 60, but based on the issues exposed in this thread and now this inexplicable behavior, networking looks like the Achilles heel.
It's very important to call Anthem support, tell them what you're experiencing, and note that there are several users reporting the same issue with all users running the current firmware. There's clearly a software bug 🐞 and even possibly a hardware bug but Anthem doesn't check these forums and won't know the extent of issues unless people keep reporting them.

post #3352 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

@xsnv it's not a cable problem, it's a handshake (EDID) issue. From what you wrote previously, something doesn't quite make sense to me. If you change the monitor resolution on the MacMini to 720p does it make a difference? Are you also using the DisplayPort to HDMI converter or the HDMI output port?

I had a similar issue as you are reporting with my own MacMini server if I recall correctly but it was solved when I upgraded to the latest firmware. I also always run an EDID HDMI switch and explicitly configure the capabilities of each source.

post #3353 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
It's very important to call Anthem support, tell them what you're experiencing, and note that there are several users reporting the same issue with all users running the current firmware. There's clearly a software bug 🐞 and even possibly a hardware bug but Anthem doesn't check these forums and won't know the extent of issues unless people keep reporting them.
That's a good point. I will follow up with Anthem.
post #3354 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:

Sorry you had to join the *club*, it's not an esteemed one. In my most recent episode, the thing had all of the settings, it just wasn't connecting to the network.

Do you use the SAVE feature on yours? I wonder if that would restore your network settings if you reload them. Don't know if it saves that info or just speaker config info.....?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3355 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Sorry you had to join the *club*, it's not an esteemed one. In my most recent episode, the thing had all of the settings, it just wasn't connecting to the network.

Do you use the SAVE feature on yours? I wonder if that would restore your network settings if you reload them. Don't know if it saves that info or just speaker config info.....?
You know what they say about misery and company. :-) In my case, this is more of an annoyance than a show-stopper. I ran ARC again today and the config data re-entered yesterday was still working. No clue what happened to the data from before but I can't rule out that this was a self-inflicted wound. Now that it happened, I'll be more observant (aka paranoid). I haven't done anything with the SAVE feature to try to preserve network config. It just seemed to work and kinda / sorta still does. If the problem comes up again, I will give that a try.

I've noticed one other AVM 60 bug. While checking out configuration of various sources, I've pressed the Info button on the Anthem remote cycling through data it shows. Doing that too much consistently hangs my AVM 60, which requires disconnecting from power to clear. That's not very kid proof. I'll be reporting it to Anthem later today.

On the positive side, my calibration run today with the new acoustic treatment in place really boosted sq. And I thought it was great before! Looking at the graphs showed that ARC has less work to do from 1K Hz on up. Just for fun, I turned off ARC for comparison. There's not much difference from mid-range on up but bass integration fell apart without ARC.

Meanwhile, it feels like I did another component upgrade. Time to go play and listen.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #3356 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello All Anthem users

I am close to purchasing the Anthem AVM 60 Pre Pro
I hear many singing praises of the performance of this unit as it relates to 2 channel and Movie sound quality.
I also hear frustrations of many relative to buggy firm ware etc.

Do any of you regret purchasing this Pre Pro?
I assume many of you compared this to the Marantz 8802a or possibly the 7703 units prior to making your purchase.

How do you feel about your decision now, has it changed?

Also is everyone paying full retail price? Is there an option to pay less?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #3357 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb99acr View Post
I am close to purchasing the Anthem AVM 60 Pre Pro......

Thanks
If you have a dealer near you, it wouldn't hurt to pay him a visit and negotiate; when I purchased my Anthem AVR/Paradigm speakers, the dealer did give me a discount.

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #3358 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I hear many singing praises of the performance of this unit as it relates to 2 channel and Movie sound quality.

I assume many of you compared this to the Marantz 8802a or possibly the 7703 units prior to making your purchase.

Thanks
I was looking at this same set of pre-pros when I decided to get the AVM 60. I took a leap of faith based on enough positive reviews of ARC vs Audyssey. I have experience with the sound of Audyssey pro and I am happily pleased with my AVM60. I have had none of the networking issues so far and I really like the straightforward nature of the AVM60 compared to the feature rich Integra DHC-80.3.

The first thing I did when I got the unit was to upgrade the Firmware via USB. I did it before I put it on wi-fi or ethernet (I run both). After that I have not had the issues running ARC that others have reported.

I have no regrets about the sound quality of the unit. Plus I am 4K ready and just waiting to get a new screen and sources when the time comes.

Anthem AVM60 - ATI 2005 - ATI NC528 - Linkwitz LX521 Mains - Monitor Audio Gold C250 Center - Dynaudio Audience 42 Surround - Dynaudio Audience 52 rears - Velodyne DD-15 - Rythmik Audio F15HP - Oppo BDP-105D - Oppo UDP-203 - Sony PS4 Pro - Xbox One X - Layer3tv - LG OLED65E8PUA - Thorens TD-124 - Lounge Audio Gold phono preamp - PS Audio Premier power
post #3359 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
In my opinion the next unit that challenges the Anthem is the Classe Sigma. But that unit is $5k, doesn't have ARC or Dirac and has only manual PEQ, and it's limited to 7.1 or 5.1.2. That being said the Anthem's sound quality is at the top.

The network issues with the Anthem are a problem but not everyone is experiencing them to a crippling degree and I'd expect Anthem to address this in a firmware fix in the coming months. That's been their historic pattern. Hopefully that continues. I'd go for it (and did).
post #3360 of 9879 Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 767
@sb99acr , see if @Molan_Labe will give you his take

Last edited by laserjock II; 03-15-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page