The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4178Likes

post #5101 of 9734 Old 09-02-2017, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 111
What do you all think the amount of benefit is from doing 10 arc measurements vs the minimum 5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 9734 Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
So im confused by the settings im seeing in the Level Calibration menu on the AVM60. Ive run ARC and i can see from the 'Target' section in ARC a 'Levels' tab. The speaker levels it shows there are the same that I see in the onscreen Level Calibration menu on the AVM60, except for the Subwoofer?? In ARC, its shows the Sub at -5dB, however in the AVM60 Level Calibration Menu it shows the Sub at -9dB. Why is it different? All the other speakers are the same in ARC and in the AVM60 Level Calibration menu??

You need to turn the gain up on your sub it should be within 1 or 2 db of the mains
Read this article it goes into detail on level calibration menu
http://hometheaterhifi.com/technical...-optimization/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60
Marantz MM9000, MM7055, Odyssey Stratos Stereo Extreme amps
Revel F52's and C52 center (4)M106 surrounds (4) C763L ceiling
Zappiti One HDR 4K, OPPO UDP-203
post #5103 of 9734 Old 09-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
You need to turn the gain up on your sub it should be within 1 or 2 db of the mains
Read this article it goes into detail on level calibration menu
http://hometheaterhifi.com/technical...-optimization/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yep that was my plan, just not sure which of the 2 sub calibrations im using. The -9dB one, or the -5dB one. Ill read the link and see if that sheds light, thanks for that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 9734 Old 09-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
So I got the avm60 setup and calibrated thanks to yalls help.

Warning: don't hate me for this post

Coming from a marantz sr6010 the sound is much cleaner and I want to say a bit slower. It's hard to describe. BUT Music is more bland or dull. Music on the marantz had more groove.

The issue I'm having is like the "party" is gone from the speakers...it's almost like the sound is too flat.

How can I turn down the arc a bit? Or adjust the target curve?

Thanks

my guess is the marantz is "bright" and the Anthem is much smoother and laid back. Really there should be no color from the processor. Coming from matantz myself there is a adjustment period but I could never go back... also do you have your target curves to show? You might want to play with the room gain setting in arc as well..

Don
Anthem AVM-60,Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Five-Channel Power Amplifier, Emotiva XPA-1l x2,Outlaw 5000. Rhythmik DIY 15inch x2, Plus, Magnapan 3.7i, Magnepan CC5,Magnepan MC1,JVC RS400, DIY 125" 2:35 Elite Screen cinegray 3d .
post #5105 of 9734 Old 09-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
my guess is the marantz is "bright" and the Anthem is much smoother and laid back. Really there should be no color from the processor. Coming from matantz myself there is a adjustment period but I could never go back... also do you have your target curves to show? You might want to play with the room gain setting in arc as well..

I appreciate your reply. Room gain solved all my problems. It made the unit sound great.

The anthem without a doubt sounds more clear. I hear details that didn't exist before.

My center speaker target is here
Name:  IMG_6413.JPG
Views: 1089
Size:  602.9 KB

Last edited by Newbie789; 09-02-2017 at 10:53 PM.
post #5106 of 9734 Old 09-02-2017, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
So im confused by the settings im seeing in the Level Calibration menu on the AVM60. Ive run ARC and i can see from the 'Target' section in ARC a 'Levels' tab. The speaker levels it shows there are the same that I see in the onscreen Level Calibration menu on the AVM60, except for the Subwoofer?? In ARC, its shows the Sub at -5dB, however in the AVM60 Level Calibration Menu it shows the Sub at -9dB. Why is it different? All the other speakers are the same in ARC and in the AVM60 Level Calibration menu??
Sorry, i realised its not the on screen Level Calibration that is different (its the same as the settings in ARC), its the PDF printout that I get when i print the ARC results, it shows -9dB for Sub, yet Level Calibration on the GUI shows the Sub at -5dB? The PDF results are in the attached pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 020917 V1.pdf (469.4 KB, 14 views)
post #5107 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterBridge86 View Post
Just an update...had some more time this morning and thought I'd mess around with the AVM60 some more and try to do a first pass of ARC. Unfortunately, after 1.5 hours of messing with settings and configurations, I'm still unable to get the ARC software to detect the AVM60 on my network. I tried numerous configurations, with the AVM60 on wired and wireless connections, DHCP and manual IP config...all no go. The Play-Fi app works fine from my phone, not only detecting but playing music to the AVM60 without issue, so I am fairly confident the network config on the AVM60 is working fine.

On the PC side I tried two different laptops, disabled windows firewall, ran the app as an administrator, in compatibility mode, on a wired and wireless connection...all no go. It would be nice if the app didn't require detection and allowed you to manually point it to the device in a fallback scenario...seems there is a flaw in their detection method. The one thing I have left to try is I need to make a crossover cable and try a direct connection between the PC and AVM60 with manual IP configs.

In the meantime, I've opened a case with Anthem support to see if they have nay suggestions or perhaps a beta software/firmware release which may help. I'll keep you all posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli44 View Post
Was the same for me only way I ever got ARC to work was hard wired. I use a Mac a so I have to boot camp it to use windows but it works just fine. Was never able to get the wireless to work other than the Play-Fi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterBridge86 View Post
Well I am back lol...after upgrading the firmware to 0.0.032 the discovery problems are resolved, and it is discovered every time now even though the laptop is on wireless and the AVM is wired.

Now when trying to run the ARC I am getting an error about the MIC:

Code:
Core Audio Interface error 0x88890008 (The audio engine (shared mode) or audio endpoint device (exclusive mode) does not support the specified format.).

Please disconnect the microphone from your PC, wait 5 seconds, then reconnect the microphone and retry.
This would seem to point to a driver issue, but even after uninstalling/reinstalling ARC the issue persists. Tried on two different laptops, one Win8, one Win10...same results. Anyone else run into anything like that before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiengan View Post
Hello guys,
Am new to here, got question wanna ask for help

I have similar connecting problem with my newly purchased AVM 60. The ARC couldn't find the it but I can control the amp via the Anthem mobile app (I assume it is 'found' in the home wireless network)....I am not sure if it is the problem of my wireless router which I use Apple Airport Extreme...and I am not familiar with the network stuff, it cause me so frustrated as I would like to try the ARC to tune my room.
Hope you guys can share some tips and hints
Many thanks
Eddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Harrington View Post
Just to follow up on my post a few weeks ago, I took delivery of the Anthem PW800 as part of the promotion they were having. I haven't yet even opened the box. I plan to do so tomorrow, to test it out.

To date, I haven't been too impressed with the PlayFi user experience, although sonically it's good, and far better than Bluetooth streaming. The iOS (iPhone/iPad) app is appallingly bad in terms of interaction design, and the music apps from which it can draw are very limited. Simply setting up the AVM60 was appalling, and involved quitting the app, setting my phone to use a different network, then setting it back to my normal network.

Another example, the AVM60 claims it can do high-res audio via PlayFi, and yet, few if any music apps the PlayFi app can use support high-res audio. You're prettymuch limited to a DLNA server, which brings in a whole different level of pain. Also, I've seen conflicting reports that say while the PlayFi app can read high-res audio, it will downsample to 16/48. I am not sure if that is specific to the device (speaker or pre/pro) or if the app itself is doing that, and sending a downsampled bitstream. If anyone has some clarity around that, I'd love to hear it. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm not consistently listening to 24/192 or 24/96 audio when I send them to the pre/pro via PlayFi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoHT View Post
Interesting that there is ONLY ONE issue of the IP address being set to 0.0.0.0. I have that open with Andrew C in your tech support (and have for months). I'm running v44 and have tried two different routers (both wired and wireless). If it's "one cause" maybe there are many of us. But, if it's "one case", I guess I must be the ONE person with that issue. hmmmmmm.
--- Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNbass View Post
Although I have had challenges connecting via Wi-Fi, it does stay connected through the ARC2 process, and I've not had a disconnect during the process. That seems odd that even using wired Ethernet is failing for you? I also notice when I turn on the AVM60, it doesn't connect to the wireless network, and, I'm forced to try to reconnect if I'm needing to connect to Wi-Fi. I'm using the latest, .44 firmware as well.
Quote:
Regarding the requirement to reconnect when powered off/on. Yes, I experience that as well. I'm running v44 and have tried using 2 different routers, both wired and wireless. I also have the problem that when connecting the AVM60 sets its IP address to 0.0.0.0. I need to log into my router, identify what IP has been assigned to the AVM60, and manually set that static IP address into the AVM. At that point I can connect and stay connected when running multiple mic positions with ARC.

I have a "hunch" that the network connectivity issues are being under reported since so many Anthem customers have their units set up by a professional installer. The installer brings their own router and has learned how to get an AVM and their laptop connected using it (irrespective of what process they need to use). They then run ARC and leave. The end user never again needs to connect to the network, run ARC, etc. So, they are happy and unaware of any networking issues. Again, just my "hunch."
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ym03 View Post
I have my MRX-720 connected via Ethernet and statically assigned its IP via the MRX's setup screen. Play-Fi seems to get it's own IP but you can't statically assign its IP in the MRX's setup screen (or at least I can't find where to do it) so it just grabs one via DHCP. I could give Play-Fi a static IP assignment via DHCP but haven't seen a need to do that yet.

I'm running the v44 firmware but haven't run into the 0.0.0.0 IP thing and/or have to reset its IP manually when turning it on. I do use the MRX Android app on my phone even though it currently doesn't support all of the MRX-x20 features and I haven't run into a problem with it connecting to my MRX-720 which would likely be caused by it not having an IP if it did.

When I run ARC2 from my laptop, it (the laptop) is connected to my WiFi network. Other than getting a mic or it's too noisy error on the first attempt at reading position 1 (seems to happen all the time for me), I just click retry and everything is fine with the rest of the readings for all positions. I chalk up that initial reading error as something buggy with my USB or laptop.

I know people report having problems connecting to their AVM/MRX when their computer and AVM/MRX are not using the same network interface (Ethernet or WiFi). This is likely due to their WiFi devices actually living on a different network subnet than their Ethernet connected devices. A lot of WiFi Access Points default to router mode which creates this separate network subnet and need to setup in bridge mode so that the WiFi devices get connected to the same subnet as their Ethernet devices. Most auto discovery processes use network broadcast requests, which do not cross network subnet boundaries, to find devices.
Quote:
Why did you assign the static IP address? I need to do that because my AVM60 does not recognize the IP address assigned by my router using Auto DHCP. What should happen with Auto DHCP is the AVM requests an IP address from the router, the router assigns one, the AVM recognizes it and sets itself to the assigned IP. In my setup the AVM sets itself to 0.0.0.0. I then do set its static IP address to that assigned by my router. Did your Anthem not properly set its IP address in Auto DHCP or did you have another reason to set the static IP? (Note: I have tried 2 different routers and connected the Anthem and laptop wireless and wired. I get the same results regardless of the router or connection method.)

Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreadingWings View Post
I had the two IPs , one for playfi and another for wifi. The Arc was crashing due to unhandled exception socket error, even though it was able to see. The easier way Anthem tech support got it to work is unplugging my router (i had a spare one) and bring it in my theatre room and use LAN cables to connect both laptop and AVM60 on it . The setup was to have only two devices in the network and no internet or any other device communicating, including playFi. He also asked to keep Ip Control and Standby IP set to ON under General configurations.

Even though there was a few drop sessions when i ran the "ping" to avm60 IP , the ARC managed to run smoothly and then uploaded the data. I am yet to listen the final result.
Quote:
Nick and all,

I had continual issues connecting to my LAN with all versions up to v44. A primary indicator was the AVM60 showing its IP address as 0.0.0.0 rather than the IP assigned by my router.

Today I loaded v45 and was able to discover and connect properly to my LAN via the AVM60's wireless "Manual" selection. The AVM60 then indicated its assigned IP address and ARC could connect. YEAH!

Note: To get the success I needed to "reset wireless" on the AVM, power it down and press its Power button, and delete any IP addresses previously assigned by my router. After doing so, with the AVM60 set to Auto DHCP, it discovered and connected to my LAN successfully. I was NOT successful if I did not "reset wireless" on the AVM60 prior to cycling its power off/on and trying to connect. This is limited testing with just a few cycles of powering off and starting over. But, when I "reset wireless" it worked. When I didn't, the AVM indicated its IP as 0.0.0.0. If "reset wireless" is the magic, it would not likely be a factor when setting up a new, clean unit.

For my setup v45 appears to be a BIG step forward!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykjones View Post
We swapped out the first one as a result of it continuously dropping from the network. Most likely from the firmware. This was firmware V44. With the first unit, we couldn't even complete a calibration sequence after a few hours with the unit dropping connection after the 2nd or 3rd listening position consistently. This was happened with both a wired and wireless connection. My shop happened to have another brand new AVM60 and they had to come out anyway so they brought it to see if the issue would duplicate itself on the newer unit. Updated to V44 again, ARC was successfully run but after programmer left, the AVM stopped responding to Control4 yet again. Installer ended up using a serial connection vs IP connection to my Control4 EA1 and so far it's been flawless. Extremely pleased with the unit. Installers had nothing but highest praises about the unit as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post
I believe I am experiencing the same or similar issue on my AVM60. I haven't run ARC yet, but it has been obtaining a valid IP through DHCP but my Irule remote would only work for about 5 to 10 minutes before the AVM 60 would stop responding and I would see in irule a lost gateway connection. I confirmed through pinging the ip address of the AVM that it was indeed locked up and not responding. The only way to restore it was to shut it down unplug it and plug it back in. Then it would work again for a short time. Then one time when doing this it got a 000.000.000.000 IP address even though my DHCP server was set to give it the same address each time.

I got around it by assigning a manual IP at it worked through about 30 minutes of testing. This was on V44 firmware. So I hope they release 45 as a fix soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RO View Post
Set up in the AVM menu the manual ( not auto DHCP) IP address with the same root as IP in your PC - e.g. 192.168.000.200 in PC and 201 in AVM. Both same subnet mask. Disable firewall in PC and connect devices by wire (long cable inside the ARC pack). Turn off and on the AVM in order to be seen by PC.
All above not mentioned in manual.

Download and extract from Anthem website the application ARC, install and start it. It will recognize the AVM and push button measure, target, calculate and in the final update. Finally enter in the AVM menu and save the changes.

This approach worked for me. Hope for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Ok I have been trying to connect to my network and it is impossible?

So I have been unable to use ARC and really am very disappointed

I have an Apple TV right next to it no problem connecting, an Amazon Fire no problem connecting, a Panasonic DMP-UB900 no problem connecting

So I am at a loss?

I tried hard wire get a solid green light and no ARC? Any help would be appreciated. OI hope I can keep it a bit longer I really would like to see if ARC is working if not oh well
Quote:
Yes both Antennas are up and I was able to connect via DTS Play-Fi and can play music with DTS Play-Fi but I can't connect the ARC software

I also tried plugging the Anthem with my Wi-fi Router the computer still doesn't see it

Should I also plug in the computer to the router with an Ethernet cable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritvs View Post
1) Post your router makes/models.
NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem using Comcast Xfinity service.
Wired via Cat7 cable.

2) Post your DTS Play-Fi setup.
Got a crash first time I used Play-Fi with my Ipad Air 2.
The App instructed the AVM to do an app update, which it did and it finished. After finishing it, the AVM froze. Nothing would fix it. No response from any button. Needed to do a System reset.
After the reset, the AVM behaved normally and Play-Fi worked properly.

3) What other patterns can we figure out? Can you think of any specific steps or patterns that you can reproduce that will cause the AVM 60 to crash?
No, but i did have a crash after standby. I put the AVM in standby and went to sleep. In the morning the AVM would not turn on at all. Seemed froze again. Unplug the cable and plug in again. Then it worked. Seemed totally random.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
The Nighthawk has worked fine with the Anthem? That's what I'm asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Too bad there isn't a troubleshooting guide for this. A progressive series of investigatory questions would sure help to eliminate the easy and obvious stuff. Meanwhile...

Are your connections: (a) AVM 60 to router, and (b) PC to the same router? Nothing else in between?
What do the IP address for the AVM 60 and PC look like? Same subnet?
Can you ping the AVM 60 from the PC?
Are you running the latest firmware on the AVM 60?
What brand / model router are you using?

Network issues are such a black hole for time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Used part of yesterday to re-run ARC, could not get the bloody thing to be seen on the network by ARC (again), even though it is connected to wireless and PlayFi working, all that. Pulling power fixed it, but geeez, this thing has issues with networking. Not Anthem's specialty I guess. Got ARC running, set up for 7 positions, after the 3rd position, software indicated it lost communication with the microphone at every other subsequent position. At first, thought the cable connection at the mic. just got buggered by me moving the rig. But I know the computer itself never lost communication because when I unplugged the cable I'd hear the *bing* of the USB device being disconnected, which had the connection at the mic. been bad, would have triggered that. Replugging, no problem, and on it went. 4 more times. Obnoxious. I certainly hope the rest of you don't have as many issues as I do. But, ultimately success - glad I don't have to run ARC frequently.
Quote:
This is most certainly an Anthem issue. Try re-installing the current firmware and then doing a soft reset following the procedures previously posted in this thread.

Hopefully a new firmware will fix these lingering network issues some users are still experiencing
Quote:
I have unfortunately joined the group of people experiencing AVM 60 wireless networking anomalies.

After installing some acoustic treatment yesterday, I wanted to run ARC again for the first time since February 23rd. No big deal, right? My wireless configuration had been solid up to this point. Fire up ARC... can't find the AVM 60. Huh?

Turns out that the AVM 60 no longer had any of my wireless settings. It wasn't a big deal to re-enter the data, but seriously, when I put data on a flash drive it stays there. So what the heck happened?

Anthem got a lot of things right on the AVM 60, but based on the issues exposed in this thread and now this inexplicable behavior, networking looks like the Achilles heel.
Quote:
It's very important to call Anthem support, tell them what you're experiencing, and note that there are several users reporting the same issue with all users running the current firmware. There's clearly a software bug 🐞 and even possibly a hardware bug but Anthem doesn't check these forums and won't know the extent of issues unless people keep reporting them.
Quote:
Sorry you had to join the *club*, it's not an esteemed one. In my most recent episode, the thing had all of the settings, it just wasn't connecting to the network.

Do you use the SAVE feature on yours? I wonder if that would restore your network settings if you reload them. Don't know if it saves that info or just speaker config info.....?
Quote:
You know what they say about misery and company. :-) In my case, this is more of an annoyance than a show-stopper. I ran ARC again today and the config data re-entered yesterday was still working. No clue what happened to the data from before but I can't rule out that this was a self-inflicted wound. Now that it happened, I'll be more observant (aka paranoid). I haven't done anything with the SAVE feature to try to preserve network config. It just seemed to work and kinda / sorta still does. If the problem comes up again, I will give that a try.

I've noticed one other AVM 60 bug. While checking out configuration of various sources, I've pressed the Info button on the Anthem remote cycling through data it shows. Doing that too much consistently hangs my AVM 60, which requires disconnecting from power to clear. That's not very kid proof. I'll be reporting it to Anthem later today.

On the positive side, my calibration run today with the new acoustic treatment in place really boosted sq. And I thought it was great before! Looking at the graphs showed that ARC has less work to do from 1K Hz on up. Just for fun, I turned off ARC for comparison. There's not much difference from mid-range on up but bass integration fell apart without ARC.

Meanwhile, it feels like I did another component upgrade. Time to go play and listen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
The networking in the AVM60 is flaky, I agree. I've already had a unit replaced because of constant errors with ARC, random loss, corruption of change of IP address (even when set to static). Extremely flaky.

One thing I started to test, at least from the ARC connectivity perspective, is whether an IP control system interferes with ARC communication (even when the IP control system is technically not being used). After 90 minutes of frustration recently, I disconnected my RTI XP6 controller from the network, restarted the Anthem, and ARC worked. Whether that was a one-off, or an actual solution I need to find time to test more. The RTI Panel was not in use at the time, but I have seen other devices in the past only allow comms with one IP address at a time, so its possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
It's very frustrating. Luckily for me, ARC hasn't been too bad *knock on wood* There were a few occasions I had to unplug to reset the processor to get it to work, but other than that it has worked every time (once I replaced my faulty mic). I'm gonna try a few more things with this before I bail on it and have to spend some time on the phone with Anthem tomorrow.

I'm gonna try to disconnect the access point and see if it connects. If it does, then it probably is having a problem with the IP addresses.
Quote:
Looks like I'm gonna have to spend a day on the phone with Anthem support. I can't connect to save my life. Everything works perfectly except the AVM60. I completely disconnected the access point to try and connect the same way it's been connected all along and it still won't work. I've reset the router and modem multiple times, the AVM60 itself etc. Nothing will get this thing to connect again. You name it, I tried it...
Quote:
Yup, a few times. Everything works flawlessly. Except the AVM60. It's not even ARC, I didn't even try ARC. The processor itself won't connect to the wifi. I can't use play-fi or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Did you try creating a new SSID on the access point/router and seeing if it connects?
Quote:
Perhaps a new house in a new state...
Quote:
Yes, I did that when I set it up. There are about 18 available networks it's picking up to connect to, but the SSID I made for the access point is nothing like any of the others it's seeing.

That's the dream
Quote:
Before I suggest this, yes it's a lot less than optimal and completely undesirable as a solution.

Have you tried a cold boot / factory reset?

On days I fight the AVM 60, I usually think the OS has to be Windows Vista under the covers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
IT sounds like to me unless I missed a post or 2 adding the additional access point was the point of contention. A reset or a network reset of the processor is most likely a good first step... I do believe it keeps settings including ssids' etc in the memory and might be causing "some" of the flaky behavior being seen...
Quote:
This is the only complain I can make about the ANTHEM AV-M60 their WiFi connection sucks royally!

In today's technology this is unacceptable

Other than that I like it better than my SSP-800 that is for sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
For $40 you can add a Gbit hard-wired router to your rack for hard-wire connection to all of your HT equipment. Is the issue being able to drop a Cat5 to your rack? You would have less headaches and more performance.
Quote:
I have a very funny feeling that if you get a new router, your networking problems may magically disappear. I personally still think there's a problem on the Anthem-side but my conjecture is that it's more pronounced with older routers.
Quote:
I have ONLY been able to connect via PlayFi with this thing. Frustrating, I know, I feel your pain. Happy when it works, but it's a flawed design for sure, at least in my opinion. And for the price? Anthem needs to step it up. Never have I seen any sort of wireless device as finicky as this thing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
That is still kind of confusing. I use Asett UPNP installed on a pc on my network that servers up a DLNA access point for any client on my network able to use DLNA. The AVM 60 almost sounds like some proprietary situation.

Will the AVM see any DLNA/UPNP server on my network and just play the audio from it or does it require further software to be installed on the server side?
Quote:
At this point, for ME:

1) Take it or leave it, I kinda consider the processor already outdated. But what isn't these days as soon as it's built, besides maybe speakers and amps?
2) TOTALLY. Gimme a break, worst wifi I've ever encountered, with my Sony TV right behind it.
3) YES.
4) Until the Wifi goes down, be nice to have both modes on one remote?

5) YES, for me. I only listen to AM.
6) Dunno.
7) I think the quality is fine, but I understand the complaints about the finish and the light-weight.

8) Fine by me, so long as it might have AM....
9) YES, would be nice!
10) YES, big fan of the concept.

ABSOLUTELY.

Did you have specific issues prior to the miniDSP?

And I plan on adding a second sub soon, and they simply can't be at the same distance from MLP - one will be about two feet further than the other. I don't think this should be a problem, Anthem told me it won't be an issue at all - BUT - it sounds like it could be. Can't phase controls at least partially address the issue?
Quote:
The AVM60 is actually very stable and reliable except for one area - their network stack. It can lose IP and/or subnet settings too easily, and IP control will thus stop working. I gave up waiting for a fix from them and switch to using RS-232 for control from my RTI XP6 and it’s been flawless for a month now.
Quote:
I don’t use Play-Fi...and ARC is an isolated use case for all of us\. I would lose IP and subnet setting every week on average months after last using ARC.

They never said this to me in a dozen calls and even swapped my unit.

Their networking stack is terrible.
Quote:
I have tried wired and wireless and there are no IP conflicts.

Their stack is unreliable and others have posted the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
Are you using IP for the normal control of the AVM60? I was told there is some sort of conflict and to use serial control for the AVM60 and leave the IP for ARC. I have no problems after doing it their way. You could also try setting the IP control to off before running ARC and if successful, turn it on again after you complete ARC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredandLovingIt View Post
Really going to show how little I know. How do I control the AVM60 using serial control? Where would I turn IP control off?

So I don't bother you to much, is there someplace that gives direction on how to set ARC up? Something at Anthem? I may have to call them Monday for some hand holding.

In the Anthem, Network Status is shown as 192.168.001.224 . When I get the error message, it talks about socket and some other things I do not understand. Also says "failed at 192.168.1.224:14999". I see the 2 numbers are different. Could that be my problem? In Anthem setup, TCP is 14999. Should I change that number?

Sorry do not know more about this stuff. Normally just plug things in and go from there.

Thanks for help.
Quote:
This is the error message I am getting on the Measure page of ARC:

Could not connect to target device: AVM 60
Failed to connect to the target device at '192.168.1.224:14999'
Socket error code: TimedOut. Message: 'A connection attempt failed
because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of
time, or established connection failed because connected host has
failed to respond 192.168.1.224:14999'

That shed any light on my problem?

Do not see in the setup or ARC program where I would be working with serial routine.

Thanks.
Quote:
^The "192.168.1.224" is the IP address, the 14999 is the socket ("TCP port" in the configuration) over which communication between your notebook and the AVM 60 should be able to talk.

What's the IP address of your notebook? It should be something like 192.168.1.xxx. That's the first thing I'd want to confirm.
Quote:
^Perhaps I should have provided a bit more info.

To get your IP address:
1. Open a DOS command window.
2. Enter this command
ipconfig

You should see an IPv4 address on your Ethernet adapter (or Wireless LAN adapter if you go wireless).
Quote:
The IPv4 address is 192.168.1.158
Quote:
OK, good so far. I suggest these next steps.

On the AVM 60:
1. In the setup menu under System Information, what is your Release Version?
2. In the setup menu under Network / Remote Control is a Network Status line with your Anthem IP address. Make a note of that for step 4 below.

On your PC:
3. Verify general network availability with a web browser. Can you browse wherever you'd like?
4. Go to the command prompt and enter:
ping <anthem ip address>

You should be able to ping the AVM 60 with no "time out" messages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Make sure in the Anthem that there is a subnet mask listed. I'm guessing 255.255.255.000. If seen it before what this is all zeros and a rectory reset fixed.

Quote:
We'll see if this is eventually any help!

Sounds like you did the ping correctly. The pings confirm the boxes should be able to talk.

The Release Version many of us are running 0.2.067 and that's what's on the anthemav web site. It's been pretty stable for me. I'm not saying 0.2.074 won't work, just saying it's different and unknown. Is there anything in 2.074 that you need right now? If I remember this correctly, others have dropped back to 2.067 from 2.07x versions. That might be something to consider if this investigation doesn't pan out. But let's reach out first.

Can anyone using 2.074 confirm success using wired networking?

I'm going to suggest something a bit different. Disconnect the AVM 60 from the physical network cable and try the wireless configuration instead. Yeah, it shouldn't make any difference. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if there's some kind of barrier between your wired and wireless setups, so a wireless setup test could at least put that to bed.

I used manual configuration to set it up and recommend that route. It's not too difficult. Here are the steps I used.

Enter AVM 60 set and select
--> Network / Remote Control --> Select button
--> Wireless Setup --> Manual Setup

a "Scanning…" message should display

Eventually you should see a list of networks that includes yours.

Select your network.
Enter the network password when prompted.

"Connecting to <your network>" should be displayed. Eventually, it should say:
"Connected to <your network>"

Shortly after that, the AVM 60 should show the Wireless Setup screen.
Press the back arrow to return to the Network / Remote Control screen.

You should see the AVM 60 IP address on the Network Status line.

Try to ping that IP address from your PC.

If that works, try uploading your ARC file again... and cross your fingers!
Quote:
Trying the wireless connection. First time it timeout while saying Scanning. The second time it found some networks and I picked mine and entered the password. Said Connecting for what seemed like forever and then timeout. Will try again.

When looking for the network it makes a funny noise.

Trying to connect to my network for a second time. Ok, found the network and connected on the second try. Did the "ping" again and that worked as before. Started the ARC software program and got the same error message as when I was using a wired connection.

Could not connect to target device: AVM 60
Failed to connect to the target device at '192.168.1.224:14999'
Socket error code: TimedOut. Message: 'A connection attempt failed
because the connected party did not properly respond after a periodof
time, or established connection failed because connected host has
failed to respond 192.168.1.224:14999'

Maybe I should try an earlier software version of ARC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
If you're on your network now, that's great!

I would get the same error with my mrx 720. Try unplugging the unit and then plugging it back in. After that, mine would magically start working with ARC and would stop throwing that "could not connect" error.

I really hope Anthem reads this thread...especially the past couple pages. The network stability in these units is beyond bad. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.
Quote:
Thanks for posting on this. You know how it is... someone else is going to step in this and your experience will help them diagnose and fix their issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Great that you got it going, but for sure, networking is clearly not Anthem's strong suit.

I had very similar experiences to yours when I first got my 720 about a month ago

It would struggle to connect to my network, and at times when I was trying to sort things out, it would not even list the networks available in my location. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Anthem tech support. I am not a noob WRT networked devices, and we struggled to get a basic wireless connection going.

Once we finally were able to coax the 720 to connect to my network, I started getting the errors you saw when attempting to run ARC...the 720 rejecting the connection or whatever the exact worlds were.

They walked me through the basic POR, sent some beta firmware, and then ultimately, a full and complete reset (rather annoying since I had already done a full set-up with labeled inputs etc.)

After doing all that, we were right back to square one....the 720 would no longer find my or any networks. At that point, Anthem suggested I get with the vendor and arrange a replacement. Very disappointing since I took 1/2 a day off from work just to get things all set-up, but it was what it was.

Interesting side note....it was another five or six days before the replacement arrived. For sh*ts and giggles, I did a network reset, and lo and behold, the 720 found my network and connected. I was then able to do a complete ARC cal from my iPhone. In fact, I did several while awaiting the replacement unit, and never once lost the connection. I did not try the PC based ARC during that time, and when the new unit arrived, everything worked as it should right out of the box.

I love the Anthem, and in particular ARC, and I would never go back to an AVR with Audyssey, but there are clearly still some ghosts in the machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post
That's normal. The AVM has two MAC addresses that differ only in their last two bits, and they'll each take their own IP address. I assume they are the ethernet and wireless NICs, as is the case on some other devices (like Sonos players and TiVos, which reserve two addresses even when you hard-wire them). Someone can chime in and correct me on that if, instead, it has something to do with Play-Fi.
Quote:
I am running Windows 10 and was wondering, should AVM 60 show up under devices in the Settings area. As I noted in my post above, other receivers and pre-pros would show up and be easy to identify. Basically the model name of that device would listed. They would even show up in the File Explorer screen of my computer. Only Play-Fi shows up in these areas.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but wanted to give as good a description as I can.

Steve
Quote:
Curiouser and curiouser. My router sees the PlayFi IP and it labels it as such. The other IP, while reserved, doesn't show up in the router list of connected devices. Yet ARP sees it and lists the two IP addresses sharing the same mac address -- not even a single digit of difference. All of this is running wireless.

As I said, everything seems to be fine but it's rather odd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post
I think that's because your previous receivers and pre-pros probably had their own DLNA renderer, as mine did and most do. The AVM60 doesn't, so it won't show up as a discrete network media device.
Quote:
After resetting all those I can, I reran ARC. I first had to do an AC Reset (unplug power cable and push power on button 4 or 5 times). After this reset ARC ran fine. I did not/not turn on Dolby Volume when finished.

Everything is now back to normal. Fingers and eyes crossed!

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpopcorn View Post
Play Fi
I expect a $3k Pre Pro that has it assures it's functionality.
Otherwise do not include it. It was one of the major considerations for my purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
The AVM60 and every Play-Fi compatible product, uses a network module made by a DTS subsidiary.

I've yet to experience any Play-Fi product (including the terrible app) that works well. This is something that's noted in most of the reviews of any product with Play-Fi.
Quote:
I don't think there are necessarily "problem units," but rather problems common to all units. The AVM 60 is great as long as you don't try to use it as a "connected" device. No NAS playback, no Bluetooth, no airplay. Now, you CAN use it to stream and play NAS files through Play-Fi...if you can get that feature to work...and then keep it working.

The AVM 60 is an outstanding piece of gear that unfortunately has the worst networking stability of anything I've purchased for a very long time. I check the site often for new firmware. With the "79" file it is better than what my unit shipped with, but still pretty abysmal. I gave up on Play-Fi and instead stream Tidal through a Bluesound Node.
Quote:
NAS is what you're doing. Yes, it is a supported feature on the AVM 60 through Play-Fi, though Play-Fi is not the most stable interface.
Quote:
Well my avm60 just came and it's wired up.

I've spent over and hour trying to run arc but it keeps having connection errors.

I've updated the firmware to the most current on the website and I'm still having issues. The unit is hardwired to my switch using a good cable that was just used for my old marantz which worked fine.

Any ideas?

How did yall get past the network issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
How did you determine the IP address of the Anthem? Is there a router / DHCP server connected to the switch?
Quote:
Yes. I am using a mikrotik router which is enterprise grade. The tp link gigabit switch is connected to the router and feeds the rest of my devices.

I got the ip address from the on screen menus. I also did an ip scan of the network to verify the ip address shown on the menus is active.

There's no doubt I have the correct ip address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
For wired connection? I could understand wireless, but curious as to how playfi could cause issues with wired connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333444 View Post
I do not understand the play fi update myself but apparently it needs doing.

Why not give it a try it might work for you

I used to have problems with ARC over a wired network but the play fi thing seemed to help

Mind you Anthem has had loads of network issues for quite a while (have a look around the forums)

Play fi is not just for wireless I got it to work from a PC on the same wired network (I cannot see the point of it though)

Rather than supporting play fi Anthem would do better getting the core of the kit to work correctly
Quote:
Or, if you have an ip based control system which is pointing to the AVM, disable it while running ARC. The AVM cannot deal well with IP connections from multiple sources it appears, even if the control system is t being actively used. Their networking is crap.
Quote:
This seemed to help a lot. I'm not getting almost all dropped packets and am able to run arc somehow.

The unit is wired and I know my network is solid. There is definitely an issue with the anthem networking

Also I was not using any control system etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Related, the .79 firmware seems to have brought back the old problem where the AVR can't be discovered if your IPv4 subnet is anything other than /24.
Quote:
No surprise there then - Anthem knew there was a bug in .79 but released it anyway saying yes we know there is a problem but customers want DV pass through

I am really disappointed with Anthem's support and how poorly the f/w writing seems to be

I would have thought Anthem would have learned the lesson of Arcam and the mess that was the AVR600 that being poor f/w can wreck a product

I now find my 1120 has another f/w fault

I have CEC power on/off set to off on my Tv but HDMI CEC is set to on for HDMI Audio return
I have CEC power on Disabled and CEC power off Disabled but CEC is on for HDMI Audio return on my 1120
If I have my Tv and 1120 both off and turn on the Tv the 1120 turns on !!
but get this if I set the 1120 to enable power on it does not power on when the Tv is powered

If only Anthem would give me an uplift number I could be rid of it

The anthem sounds great but oh the f/w bugs
Anthem, are you listening? Enough is enough. We have all spent considerable amounts of money on your products and have been very patient. There is absolutely no justification in every other pre/pro/AVR manufacturer's products including stable networking features while yours do not. Thank you.
Spiritvs likes this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE

Last edited by adrummingdude; 09-03-2017 at 12:58 AM.
post #5108 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[quote=adrummingdude;54736870]Anthem, are you listening? Enough is enough. We have all spent considerable amounts of money on your products and have been very patient. There is absolutely no justification in every other pre/pro/AVR manufacturer's products including stable networking features while yours do not. Thank you.[/quote]

Well said sir

I have found the reply's from Anthem support to be quite poor, please see my post where I copied some examples

Anthem are not alone though have a look at the Arcam owners and the problems with the new "fixed" Direc

Last edited by 333444; 09-03-2017 at 01:45 AM.
post #5109 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Anthem has by far the best tech support in the business!! Try calling them and speaking to a tech. They have Betas available to fix certain issues caused by the latest updates. I have owned Anthem products for the last 10 years and I have nothing but positive results.
post #5110 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Anthem has by far the best tech support in the business!! Try calling them and speaking to a tech. They have Betas available to fix certain issues caused by the latest updates. I have owned Anthem products for the last 10 years and I have nothing but positive results.
I agree 100% with HeffeMusic - why would any manufacturer answer
a owner in a PUBLIC forum. PICK up the phone and call and you will
be amazed at their great tech support.

I know a PHONE is old technology - but it still works.

I have been an Anthem owner since they released the D1 pre/pro.

I would not own any other brand
post #5111 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I am glad to read you are happy - others like myself are not so

To release a f/w knowing that it has a fault is bad enough but to leave out a warning about the fault from the f/w release notes is even worse
post #5112 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I do not understand the play fi update myself but apparently it needs doing.

Why not give it a try it might work for you

I used to have problems with ARC over a wired network but the play fi thing seemed to help

Mind you Anthem has had loads of network issues for quite a while (have a look around the forums)

Play fi is not just for wireless I got it to work from a PC on the same wired network (I cannot see the point of it though)

Rather than supporting play fi Anthem would do better getting the core of the kit to work correctly

Thanks - downloaded playfi to my phone and I assume it updated my Anthem as it pushed software to it. Aside from initial ARC run when for whatever reason couldn't find the Anthem, no network - or other - issues. Not sure what fixed the problem initially - I did change one of the addresses and then changed it back to the default value. Can't say if this was my fix or not.

Hope your Anthem issues get resolved. Do agree if they knew there was a bug in the F/W, they should have stated so in the release notes.

Last edited by madrac; 09-03-2017 at 05:51 AM.
post #5113 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2625 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Anthem tech support is subpar.

Nick seems to be the guy who knows everything, which is great, but he really doesn't take customer calls anymore. Every time I talk to their other tech guys, they are never completely sure how to answer, often put me on hold to ask someone (Nick I presume), and generally don't seemed well versed in much below the first layer. More then once they told me something that was simply wrong.

And they lie of course, indicating there are no issues with their networking. In fact, I believe it is the engineering of the networking solution, which relies on a third party to implement updates. It's a Frankenstein solution and I think they are clueless and largely helpless.

So yes, they are pleasant, yes they answer the phone, but to call their tech support great is a huge stretch.

Anthem needs to train their staff much better so they can stand on their own two feet and have independent and deep knowledge. And denying obvious problems really does harm to the brand.

Just two days ago, I had to disconnect my Ethernet cable to the AVM for a minute to re-route a wire. After reconnecting, I could no long run ARC. Why? The subnet reverted to 000's. What other device can you think of that is so volatile that a simple disconnect/reconnect bork's the stack?

I can't think of any. ANY.
post #5114 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
All the emails I had had from Anthem support are signed - Jamie Z -

Assuming he is a real person and not a generic name used by anyone at Anthem he is hopelessHe knows nothing about the kit cannot answer questions about testing the firmware

here is the answers I got

"I don’t have access to what the firmware developers have coded, or how they test it"
and
"I don’t have access to a list of displays that were used for testing, and even if I did that is not something we would give out"

Way to go Anthem... great support answers
post #5115 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RO View Post
Set up in the AVM menu the manual ( not auto DHCP) IP address with the same root as IP in your PC - e.g. 192.168.000.200 in PC and 201 in AVM. Both same subnet mask. Disable firewall in PC and connect devices by wire (long cable inside the ARC pack). Turn off and on the AVM in order to be seen by PC.

All above not mentioned in manual.

Download and extract from Anthem website the application ARC, install and start it. It will recognize the AVM and push button measure, target, calculate and in the final update. Finally enter in the AVM menu and save the changes.

This approach worked for me. Hope for you.

Has anyone else tried hard wiring the anthem using a cat5 directly to their computer in order to run ARC?

To confirm the above post:
If I just set the laptop (ip address 192.168.40.5) and avm60 (ip address 192.168.40.6) to the same ip range and Subnet mask with manual ip addresses and when I power cycle the avm60 it will be seen by the computer with no router? Do I need a crossover cable?

If I can get ARC to work like this, then I'd be able to do a 10 position ARC and avoid using the network. I know it's not ideal

Thanks!

post #5116 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Has anyone else tried hard wiring the anthem using a cat5 directly to their computer in order to run ARC?

To confirm the above post:
If I just set the laptop (ip address 192.168.40.5) and avm60 (ip address 192.168.40.6) to the same ip range and Subnet mask with manual ip addresses and when I power cycle the avm60 it will be seen by the computer with no router? Do I need a crossover cable?

If I can get ARC to work like this, then I'd be able to do a 10 position ARC and avoid using the network. I know it's not ideal

Thanks!

The x10 manuals had info on direct connection - seems like that was removed in the x20 versions
post #5117 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The x10 manuals had info on direct connection - seems like that was removed in the x20 versions

Will this work for the new units like the avm60?

Thanks!

post #5118 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Is anyone having networking problems with a wired connections. My rule of thumb is if it doesn't move, it should be hardwired.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK, Faith is being OK no matter how things turn out".
post #5119 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is anyone having networking problems with a wired connections. My rule of thumb is if it doesn't move, it should be hardwired.

Yes.
This is what I got on hardwired. Avm60 stopped responding to arc. It exited the arc mode even with some network connectivity.

post #5120 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
IMy rule of thumb is if it doesn't move, it should be hardwired.
Very good idea
post #5121 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2625 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Yes, as the thread has repeatedly stated by many...
post #5122 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Yes to

Is anyone having networking problems with a wired connections?

or yes to

My rule of thumb is if it doesn't move, it should be hardwired.?

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 09-27-2017 at 11:56 AM.
post #5123 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I think I'm waiting for Anthens next generation prepro
I have a Marrantz av7005 , and although not perfect , I don't recall having any network issues. I'm hard wired though , as it's my only option . But I find wireless is usually flakey at best with other equipment . This day and age , there's no excuse for it though.

Sure wish Anthem had a built in music client like my Marrantz, instead of having to use my iPad to select music . Maybe that would fix there issues
post #5124 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Anthem, are you listening? Enough is enough. We have all spent considerable amounts of money on your products and have been very patient. There is absolutely no justification in every other pre/pro/AVR manufacturer's products including stable networking features while yours do not. Thank you.
I think you just set the record for longest post on AVSForum......

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I agree 100% with HeffeMusic - why would any manufacturer answer
a owner in a PUBLIC forum. PICK up the phone and call and you will
be amazed at their great tech support.

I know a PHONE is old technology - but it still works.
TRUE. I never send email/web support requests. The phone may be old, BUT it is much faster and far more in depth when you can have a complete conversation.

Quote:
Anthem has by far the best tech support in the business!! Try calling them and speaking to a tech. They have Betas available to fix certain issues caused by the latest updates.
Quote:
I have found the reply's from Anthem support to be quite poor, please see my post where I copied some examples
See above, pick up the phone!

Quote:
To release a f/w knowing that it has a fault is bad enough but to leave out a warning about the fault from the f/w release notes is even worse
TRUE - That is not a good thing.

Quote:

Nick seems to be the guy who knows everything, which is great, but he really doesn't take customer calls anymore. Every time I talk to their other tech guys, they are never completely sure how to answer, often put me on hold to ask someone (Nick I presume), and generally don't seemed well versed in much below the first layer. More then once they told me something that was simply wrong.

And they lie of course, indicating there are no issues with their networking. In fact, I believe it is the engineering of the networking solution, which relies on a third party to implement updates. It's a Frankenstein solution and I think they are clueless and largely helpless.

So yes, they are pleasant, yes they answer the phone, but to call their tech support great is a huge stretch.

Anthem needs to train their staff much better so they can stand on their own two feet and have independent and deep knowledge. And denying obvious problems really does harm to the brand.

Just two days ago, I had to disconnect my Ethernet cable to the AVM for a minute to re-route a wire. After reconnecting, I could no long run ARC. Why? The subnet reverted to 000's. What other device can you think of that is so volatile that a simple disconnect/reconnect bork's the stack?

I can't think of any. ANY.
Absolutely! The networking simply sucks, which in this day and age is inexcusable, and these issues should have been ironed out long ago, which tells me, they can not be ironed out. However, I have had very good service from Anthem on those occasions where I needed it. Try calling SONY and getting anything similar UNLESS you are dealing with Sony PRO support, and even that is not as good. I've also found James at Anthem to be very helpful. Yes, they are a small group - but it says something when a company actually answers the phone and speaks native ENGLISH for North American support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
I think I'm waiting for Anthens next generation prepro
I have a Marrantz av7005 , and although not perfect , I don't recall having any network issues. I'm hard wired though , as it's my only option . But I find wireless is usually flakey at best with other equipment . This day and age , there's no excuse for it though.
Agree, no excuse. However, I will trade network reliability for ARC over other processors, esp. at the price-point. I bought this thing for ARC, nothing else. You might be waiting a while for the next gen. pre-pro.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #5125 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
issues should have been ironed out long ago, which tells me, they can not be ironed out..
If that is the case then no support by phone or email will do any good

If the issues are insolvable the correct action would be
1, remove the product from sale
2, offer 100% refunds to any customers who do not want to have kit that cannot work as advertised.
3, start again and produce a product that works as advertised

But for as long as customers are happy to pay full price for kit with faults that cannot be ironed out Anthem and its dealers are laughing all the way to the bank

I do wonder if customers who put up with software faults on home entertainment kit (Anthem are not the only ones with faults) would be so accommodating of a washing machine or other domestic appliance if it failed to work as per the manual and was found to be full of software errors

as for the suggestion pick up the phone for support post 5158 on this thread suggests that will be no better than email

"Every time I talk to their other tech guys, they are never completely sure how to answer, often put me on hold to ask someone (Nick I presume), and generally don't seemed well versed in much below the first layer. More then once they told me something that was simply wrong.
And they lie of course, indicating there are no issues with their networking. In fact, I believe it is the engineering of the networking solution, which relies on a third party to implement updates. It's a Frankenstein solution and I think they are clueless and largely helpless."
MajorTendonitis likes this.

Last edited by 333444; 09-03-2017 at 11:07 AM.
post #5126 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Please keep in mind - that my statement is merely one of opinion - I do not know if the problem is solvable or not - it's just that from my view, if it were solvable, it would/should have been by now. But I'm no engineer - so speculation....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #5127 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Please keep in mind - that my statement is merely one of opinion - I do not know if the problem is solvable or not - it's just that from my view, if it were solvable, it would/should have been by now. But I'm no engineer - so speculation....
It may be your speculation but I would take a good guess that you are right on the money with your thinking
post #5128 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 122
@333444 , great post

Quote:

2, offer 100% refunds to any customers who do not want to have kit that cannot work as advertised.

But for as long as customers are happy to pay full price for kit with faults that cannot be ironed out Anthem and its dealers are laughing all the way to the bank

I do wonder if customers who put up with software faults on home entertainment kit (Anthem are not the only ones with faults) would be so accommodating of a washing machine or other domestic appliance if it failed to work as per the manual and was found to be full of software errors

as for the suggestion pick up the phone for support post 5158 on this thread suggests that will be no better than email

"Every time I talk to their other tech guys, they are never completely sure how to answer, often put me on hold to ask someone (Nick I presume), and generally don't seemed well versed in much below the first layer. More then once they told me something that was simply wrong.
And they lie of course, indicating there are no issues with their networking. In fact, I believe it is the engineering of the networking solution, which relies on a third party to implement updates. It's a Frankenstein solution and I think they are clueless and largely helpless."
post #5129 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:

You seem to forget that not all of Anthem's customers are having issues. Yes, there are those who do and they keep posting about it here, but there are 10,000s (or however many) who don't have these issues.

Remember, it's a numbers game and every complex software-based product on the market has issues, period. You can post all the user quotes you want, and it still represents far less then 1% of users.

Of course Anthem needs to continue to issue updates and try to fix the bugs, but saying they should pull the product is silly.

PS. Hop over to the Arcam thread if you want to see what a real fundamental issue with an AV receiver/processor looks like.
darrellh44 and kirky27 like this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4

Last edited by duckymomo; 09-03-2017 at 11:43 AM.
post #5130 of 9734 Old 09-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
You seem to forget that not all of Anthem's customers are having issues. Yes, there are those who do and they keep posting about it here, but there are 10,000s (or however many) who don't have these issues.

Remember, it's a numbers game and every complex software-based product on the market has issues, period. You can post all the user quotes you want, and it still represents far less then 1% of users.

Of course Anthem needs to continue to issue updates and try to fix the bugs, but saying they should pull the product is silly.

I don't see any of these complaints related to basic network connectivity on the marantz forums.

My playfi is rock solid. How could the prized arc have an issue with basic network connectivity? This goes deeper than networking. My avm60 just leaves arc mode and is still pingable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page