The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4178Likes

post #6931 of 9732 Old 04-25-2018, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
Fair enough, so you are saying ARC is superior?
Haven`t played with the new version of Audyssey but the old one gave me so much problem in my room so going to Dirac and now ARC show me that its possible with far better results.

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thanks for the Good advice folks, Newbie789 I also have a Rotel amp, the RMB 1555 and it is considered a tad on the warm side. I will see if the store has an in home trial as they sell both the Marantz and the Anthem.
post #6933 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
Ready to upgrade, almost 95% sure of the AVM 60, but have the opportunity to get a "B" stock Marantz AV7704 pre/pro for a really good price. Searched around and haven't seen too many comparisons with the Anthem, seen a few with their last generation flagship AV8802A, does anybody have any experience with this Marantz? I think he AV7704 is current. Any comments on sound quality( 2 channel and HT), build quality, ease of use etc.
i actually currently have both in my theater room and the 7704 is looking to be boxed up to sell here soon enough if that tells you anything. Audyssey made a LOT of great strides with this new multiEQ editor app that allows target curve manipulation as well as limiting of the correction, but I still believe it has some room to grow. There are a few quirks with it that need to be ironed out in the near future, BUT it already makes audyssey actually bearable in my room, and I ended up actually using it for the first time in 7 years. Previously, I absolutely hated audyssey and never even ran it other than to get speaker distances dialed in.

The marantz has a much more intuitive user interface and is a lot "prettier" imo. But that's essentially where the benefits of the marantz over the anthem ends. At least so far, I feel the anthem bests it an every other way, and I still have yet to run ARC. (It's not absolutely necessary in my dedicated and well treated room). I plan to do ARC stuff at some point this weekend I hope.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6934 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
Man I have a 15x12x9 room and I can’t get over a volume setting of 20 lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Me either -20 is about the loudest I could ever go and if I do the place is really rockin. -20 is loud.
I find I need to go to -20 on certain TV (cable) programming, and even that sometimes is barely enough. What gives? I guess there is no "universality" to recording levels? Don't knbow how all that works....

Blu-Rays...... -25 is about as loud as I can get before the wife and neighbors are racking their shotguns.....

Some Youtube content - I've got back it down to -50, with most content not going above -30 before above occurs.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6935 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
i actually currently have both in my theater room and the 7704 is looking to be boxed up to sell here soon enough if that tells you anything. Audyssey made a LOT of great strides with this new multiEQ editor app that allows target curve manipulation as well as limiting of the correction, but I still believe it has some room to grow. There are a few quirks with it that need to be ironed out in the near future, BUT it already makes audyssey actually bearable in my room, and I ended up actually using it for the first time in 7 years. Previously, I absolutely hated audyssey and never even ran it other than to get speaker distances dialed in.

The marantz has a much more intuitive user interface and is a lot "prettier" imo. But that's essentially where the benefits of the marantz over the anthem ends. At least so far, I feel the anthem bests it an every other way, and I still have yet to run ARC. (It's not absolutely necessary in my dedicated and well treated room). I plan to do ARC stuff at some point this weekend I hope.
Thanks for this input as you have both, back to plan "A" and the Anthem. Again, thanks all.
post #6936 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I find I need to go to -20 on certain TV (cable) programming, and even that sometimes is barely enough. What gives? I guess there is no "universality" to recording levels? Don't knbow how all that works....

Blu-Rays...... -25 is about as loud as I can get before the wife and neighbors are racking their shotguns.....

Some Youtube content - I've got back it down to -50, with most content not going above -30 before above occurs.....
It is totally room dependent with how much treatment, namely absorption you have, as well as your speaker's ability for dynamic peaks free of any distortion. Just about any speaker design using a dome tweeter will begin to show moderate amounts of THD a good bit below reference. Even the mighty triad platinum starts to have THD creep into the high zones that are audible at around -5 from full reference with extremely dynamic material. From mine and many other AVS'er's experiences, well treated rooms, with lots of wattage on tap for dynamic peaks, and speakers free from elevated levels of THD = you can listen at MUCH higher levels than a standard setup. I watched "The 5th Wave" last night at reference (-10 I guess now on the anthem) and never once felt the presentation was piercing, or too loud. If that particular movie is on par with most movie levels, I could never come close to that with my prior marantz 7704, which is true testament to the Anthem's ability to produce an excellent presentation.
Gooddoc, Franin and biga6761 like this.

post #6937 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Can this accept bitstreamed DSD from an SACD player over HDMI? And assuming it can, does the DAC process it as DSD like in an Oppo, or convert it to PCM?

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #6938 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
Can this accept bitstreamed DSD from an SACD player over HDMI? And assuming it can, does the DAC process it as DSD like in an Oppo, or convert it to PCM?

It doesn’t do DSD. The Oppo can convert DSD to PCM. Every processor that does room correction and digital crossovers does so in PCM, as it can’t be done in DSD. Thus, even those that accept DSD convert to PCM if they’re asked to do such signal processing.

Steve Goff
post #6939 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post
It doesn’t do DSD. The Oppo can convert DSD to PCM. Every processor that does room correction and digital crossovers does so in PCM, as it can’t be done in DSD. Thus, even those that accept DSD convert to PCM if they’re asked to do such signal processing.
Unfortunate. I don't need room correction, at least not when playing DSD, and chopping it into PCM rather negates the reason for DSD in the first place. The Oppo has a pure mode where it just turns the DSD, as is, into analog out. It wouldn't have been rocket science for Anthem to support that kind of mode.

post #6940 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunate. I don't need room correction, at least not when playing DSD, and chopping it into PCM rather negates the reason for DSD in the first place. The Oppo has a pure mode where it just turns the DSD, as is, into analog out. It wouldn't have been rocket science for Anthem to support that kind of mode.

If you don’t need room correction and you’re having the Oppo put out analog stereo, you can have the Anthem simply pass through the analog without reconverting it to digital. This avoids double conversion. But if you want to apply a surround sound mode or digital crossover, the Anthem would have to convert the analog signal to PCM. By the way, this is also true of all other audio processors.

Steve Goff
post #6941 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
If you don’t need room correction and you’re having the Oppo put out analog stereo, you can have the Anthem simply pass through the analog without reconverting it to digital. This avoids double conversion. But if you want to apply a surround sound mode or digital crossover, the Anthem would have to convert the analog signal to PCM. By the way, this is also true of all other audio processors.
I should have explained earlier--I'm trying to find a solution if/when both of our Oppo 205s die (Oppo is going out of business). I got a 203 as a second backup, but it doesn't have the same quality audio section. So the idea would be to stream it into an A/V processor that basically does what a 205 does internally--decode DSD directly to analog.

post #6942 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 7
It's funny seeing people still comparing Anthem with Marantz and ARC with Audyssey...
First Audyssey it is not in the same league with ARC and ARC is not in the same league with Dirac or Roomperfect.

Under 10K processors the only and single one that has a slightly better sound than AVM60 its Arcam, anything else simply doesn't get even closer.

The crappy implementation of Dirac in Arcam, their endless issues with firmware and the stupid preamp output 1V RMS/2RMS plus ... overpriced and made in china, simply it rules it as a serious candidate.

So simply put, under 10K get the AVM60, if the coin permits then start with Lyngdorf and up ....
post #6943 of 9732 Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I should have explained earlier--I'm trying to find a solution if/when both of our Oppo 205s die (Oppo is going out of business). I got a 203 as a second backup, but it doesn't have the same quality audio section. So the idea would be to stream it into an A/V processor that basically does what a 205 does internally--decode DSD directly to analog.

The AVM 60 isn’t going to do that, though I must say that I really enjoy listening to SACDs through my AVM 60. For me, having good room correction easily trumps listening to DSD direct without conversion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BGLeduc and decibels like this.

Steve Goff
post #6944 of 9732 Old 04-27-2018, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
The AVM 60 isn’t going to do that, though I must say that I really enjoy listening to SACDs through my AVM 60. For me, having good room correction easily trumps listening to DSD direct without conversion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
I went from a receiver that processed a pure DSD signal without conversion and then switched the AVM60 and find that my SACD's sound better as well due to room correction. Over 90% of my music listening is SACD's and I have been extremely impressed with the AVM60.
BGLeduc likes this.

Preet
My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
post #6945 of 9732 Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadyn View Post
It's funny seeing people still comparing Anthem with Marantz and ARC with Audyssey...
First Audyssey it is not in the same league with ARC and ARC is not in the same league with Dirac or Roomperfect.

Under 10K processors the only and single one that has a slightly better sound than AVM60 its Arcam, anything else simply doesn't get even closer.

The crappy implementation of Dirac in Arcam, their endless issues with firmware and the stupid preamp output 1V RMS/2RMS plus ... overpriced and made in china, simply it rules it as a serious candidate.

So simply put, under 10K get the AVM60, if the coin permits then start with Lyngdorf and up ....
While I don't disagree with anything you said. The reason arc is compared to audyssey so often is simply due to the fact that a need for better RC is the reason half the people in here ended up getting the anthem. I always thought audyssey was utter garbage until the app made it a little more user, and audio-friendly. It's all most of us that are in this thread know about. The next natural jump to the lyngdorf is not a small one by any measure, and few have the additional resources to do so, especially with other gear changes, the onset of HDMI 2.1, etc, it would be an expensive move to become obsolete after the release of the new 2.1 requirement.

As I said, no arguments from me, just my own experiences and reasons as to why you still see this comparison.
Gooddoc likes this.

post #6946 of 9732 Old 04-27-2018, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please HELP.

Hello, Could anyone help shed some light on the ARC-2 process, and how it sets up base management? The problem I'm having is when I run ARC-2 to calibrate my new SVS SB 16 ultra, and the file is uploaded onto the MRX 720 receiver, it made my subwoofer output sound almost NON EXISTENT

Please note, prior to running ARC-2 with my new Subwoofer (16 Ultra), I had a previous SVS PC Ultra calibrated into my system that I unplugged just to test the 16ultra using old calibrations via ARC-2. Instantly, when playing movies and music my 16 ultra came to life with the thunderous bass I crave!!

But, when It came time to calibrate the new subwoofer in, I was left with an void of that tremendous bass I had expected during the previous ARC-2 set up with my old subwoofer.

I'm running a 5.1 system with a Rotel 1095 amp running paradigm studio 100's, CC690, and ADP's. Frequency was set by arc at 80 htz for the fronts, and 90 htz for the Center and ADP's. LFE/LPF was set to 120 htz for the 16ultra. One more thing to add, SVS recommends the default setting set at -10 db when calibrating. The ARC had me turn it down to -17 db for it to run the calibration.

I really appreciate and thoughts or advice anyone can give. Thank you!!
post #6947 of 9732 Old 04-27-2018, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grebmorts View Post
Hello, Could anyone help shed some light on the ARC-2 process, and how it sets up base management? The problem I'm having is when I run ARC-2 to calibrate my new SVS SB 16 ultra, and the file is uploaded onto the MRX 720 receiver, it made my subwoofer output sound almost NON EXISTENT

Please note, prior to running ARC-2 with my new Subwoofer (16 Ultra), I had a previous SVS PC Ultra calibrated into my system that I unplugged just to test the 16ultra using old calibrations via ARC-2. Instantly, when playing movies and music my 16 ultra came to life with the thunderous bass I crave!!

But, when It came time to calibrate the new subwoofer in, I was left with an void of that tremendous bass I had expected during the previous ARC-2 set up with my old subwoofer.

I'm running a 5.1 system with a Rotel 1095 amp running paradigm studio 100's, CC690, and ADP's. Frequency was set by arc at 80 htz for the fronts, and 90 htz for the Center and ADP's. LFE/LPF was set to 120 htz for the 16ultra. One more thing to add, SVS recommends the default setting set at -10 db when calibrating. The ARC had me turn it down to -17 db for it to run the calibration.

We would need to see pics of your ARC graphs and the target windows. You may have had a big peak in your bass that ARC got rid of.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 04-27-2018 at 12:11 PM.
post #6948 of 9732 Old 04-27-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

It would not hurt to check levels with an SPL meter and the Speaker Level Calibration test tones, if you haven't already.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #6949 of 9732 Old 04-28-2018, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Perhaps the “thunderous bass you crave” is the result of room nodes or a too high crossover/listening level. That said, you can add some room gain in ARC to compensate for this and or increase the sub level in the adjustments. Properly done ARC in no way strips away bass energy it actually tightens it up.
CruelInventions and nucky like this.

Lumin T1 | Vitus RI-100 | Revel Ultima Studio2 | JL Audio: F110(2) & F112

Last edited by Spinaker01; 04-29-2018 at 12:55 AM.
post #6950 of 9732 Old 04-29-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is totally room dependent with how much treatment, namely absorption you have, as well as your speaker's ability for dynamic peaks free of any distortion. Just about any speaker design using a dome tweeter will begin to show moderate amounts of THD a good bit below reference. Even the mighty triad platinum starts to have THD creep into the high zones that are audible at around -5 from full reference with extremely dynamic material. From mine and many other AVS'er's experiences, well treated rooms, with lots of wattage on tap for dynamic peaks, and speakers free from elevated levels of THD = you can listen at MUCH higher levels than a standard setup. I watched "The 5th Wave" last night at reference (-10 I guess now on the anthem) and never once felt the presentation was piercing, or too loud. If that particular movie is on par with most movie levels, I could never come close to that with my prior marantz 7704, which is true testament to the Anthem's ability to produce an excellent presentation.
I think this is part of a different issue. Sure, maybe the max. volume thing, but I was also referring to recording levels, and the incredible amount of variability. Blu-rays for example seem to be fairly consistent - as in -25dB for me is where I'm comfortable with almost all of it as I mentioned. But that same volume setting for cable broadcasts is just at the point where it's like, FINALLY I can actually hear it! News broadcasts as an example, seem rather quiet. But flipping to Youtube and watching news broadcasts (largely voices, yeah?), -35 or -40 produces the same perceived volume level. This is what I find odd. Levels just seem to be a lot higher with Youtube (not all streamed media), than Comcast, than Blurays, and so on. This seems to happen with commercials on occasion too, not as much recently, but I recall certain TV shows, then go to commercial and the volume would jump noticeably. Maybe that is intentional. But I just find the whole thing "curious".....

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #6951 of 9732 Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I think this is part of a different issue. Sure, maybe the max. volume thing, but I was also referring to recording levels, and the incredible amount of variability. Blu-rays for example seem to be fairly consistent - as in -25dB for me is where I'm comfortable with almost all of it as I mentioned. But that same volume setting for cable broadcasts is just at the point where it's like, FINALLY I can actually hear it! News broadcasts as an example, seem rather quiet. But flipping to Youtube and watching news broadcasts (largely voices, yeah?), -35 or -40 produces the same perceived volume level. This is what I find odd. Levels just seem to be a lot higher with Youtube (not all streamed media), than Comcast, than Blurays, and so on. This seems to happen with commercials on occasion too, not as much recently, but I recall certain TV shows, then go to commercial and the volume would jump noticeably. Maybe that is intentional. But I just find the whole thing "curious".....
Commercials being loud is absolutely on purpose to grab your attention. Dialogue normalization on certain units seeks to help this, but it's still definitely there. I understand where you are coming from for the random volume levels of sources though as well. Even blu rays, which movie in general are supposed to follow the 85/105dB standard rule can still be mixed up to 10dB from what I've personally found off in either direction. Some movies are extremely "Hot" like the transformer series, where others I find I need to crank the level up sometimes 10dB louder to get the same presentation.

On another note, my anthem locked up on me last night watching a movie where I lost audio. Video was still playing but no audio at all. I switched sources back to my sonos music streamer and then I proceeded to get absolutely nothing. I could no longer switch sources, or even pull up sound modes. I could cruise through the setup menu and make changes, but couldn't get any source to play. I tried unplugging the unit for 10 minutes to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to try? Have any of you had this happen to your unit before?

post #6952 of 9732 Old 04-29-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3763 Post(s)
Liked: 3372
Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on what else to try? Have any of you had this happen to your unit before?
No. You have latest firmware? Try to reset it. Not sure how to do that though since I've never needed to do it.
post #6953 of 9732 Old 04-29-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do a hard reset, but warning that it wipes out settings.**

Press SELECT and power buttons at same time.

**I'm not sure if one saves user settings if those are truly saved through a hard reset? If you can still get into the Setup menu, try saving and then reloading if you end up doing the factory reset. My guess is the settings are not saved/survived through this process, but I've not tested it.....

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #6954 of 9732 Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Do a hard reset, but warning that it wipes out settings.**

Press SELECT and power buttons at same time.

**I'm not sure if one saves user settings if those are truly saved through a hard reset? If you can still get into the Setup menu, try saving and then reloading if you end up doing the factory reset. My guess is the settings are not saved/survived through this process, but I've not tested it.....
I'll give this a shot. Thankfully I still had my marantz 7704 laying around so I was able to just simply yank the unit and put the marantz back in. I have already taken screen shots of all my settings so I should, even if everything is wiped, be able to get back to operational in no time flat. It'll just take a few minutes to reload everything. Im hoping having the unit powered down for a few days may have just done the trick by itself, but I guess I'll find out this evening hopefully when I power it back up.

post #6955 of 9732 Old 04-30-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I had just the opposite experience. But I prefer a neutral sound and the Marantz's I've owned do sound "warmer"(or someone told me "muted") in comparison to the Anthem. In comparison to the "warm"(this is a relative, not an absolute impression) presentation of the Marantz, the Anthem's neutral presentation strikes me as more of a "naked/cleaner" or "leaner"(in comparison) sound. IMO

I really don't know why that is since I'm quite sure they both likely measure ruler flat. I put it in the "audio mysteries" category, which has a few items in it even after all these years.
The same reason amps don't sound the same. That is, frequency response, resistance, phase, decay, distortion etc are all pretty easy to measure, but timbre is not. At the very best it can be interpreted by compiling many of the above properties, but even then it will be different than you predict. If it were possible for you and I to both sing a pitch-perfect note, you would still sound like you and I would still sound like me.

Certainly the sonic difference between amps and preamps will be much less pronounced than that example but thinking all amps, that are all constructed from different parts and all measure differently would all sound the same is just silly. The guys who think they do should perhaps enjoy a new hobby...or get a pair of speakers more able to resolve those differences.
nucky and llang269 like this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #6956 of 9732 Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:

My two subs are not equidistant so I averaged them and used that as the distance (7' + 9') = 8'. The result seems pretty good! You might have to play around quite a bit with the subs to get the really dialed in.
I can almost guarantee you would be better off adding distance to the subs in the Anthem menu. Especially the SB13's you have, which as far as I know have a parametric EQ onboard there WILL be latency through those electronics. According to SVS it is minimal, but in my experience it is much greater than they disclose.

For instance, my subs (SB16's) are actually ~14ft from the MLP, but in the processor I have them set at 22ft.

The easiest way to do this is to play a test tone at the crossover frequency (so 80hz for example). With non equidistant subs, turn off your mains, so you just have the two subs playing. Adjust/increase the phase of the closest sub (I think it's the closest, but my subs are equidistant so you should check me on that point) until the tone sounds the loudest at the MLP. Now your two subs are in phase.

Now, turn the mains back on and play the crossover frequency test tone through both mains and both subs. Increase the sub distance setting in the AVM60 until the tone is the loudest. It'll probably be farther than you think before your mains and subs are in phase. Some people like to use this technique with inverted sub phase and listen for the biggest cancellation, then flip the phase back to 0...I've always used the first/summing approach though.

Subwoofer plate amps with advanced DSP like SVS uses are all "slow," so without increasing the distance in the processor (which delays the mains), your subs will be firing after the mains. You can actually hear the difference pretty easily if your play a song with prominent kick drum and tweak the sub distance setting on the fly. You'll be amazed at how much difference every 4-5 feet or so makes to the tone of the thing.

This is really pretty easy to do. You can easily find test tones on youtube, Tidal, etc. It should take you 20mins, tops, to do all the adjustments and your system has the potential to sound a lot tighter with nothing more invested than your time.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #6957 of 9732 Old 05-01-2018, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
So the AV60 is going about 50 hours and must say extremely pleased. Reading all of this thread before making the jump from my Marantz setup and though I had some doubts about the networking issues it just isnt any problem for me with latest FW. The Atmos is awesome and the steering of sound in this is breathtaking. Stereo is night and day differences from earlier and a big step up from any Pro I have heard.

Thanks for the thread and all of the great help and content, now off to enjoy some movies

coz2001 and Jonas2 like this.

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #6958 of 9732 Old 05-01-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I can almost guarantee you would be better off adding distance to the subs in the Anthem menu. Especially the SB13's you have, which as far as I know have a parametric EQ onboard there WILL be latency through those electronics. According to SVS it is minimal, but in my experience it is much greater than they disclose.

For instance, my subs (SB16's) are actually ~14ft from the MLP, but in the processor I have them set at 22ft.

The easiest way to do this is to play a test tone at the crossover frequency (so 80hz for example). With non equidistant subs, turn off your mains, so you just have the two subs playing. Adjust/increase the phase of the closest sub (I think it's the closest, but my subs are equidistant so you should check me on that point) until the tone sounds the loudest at the MLP. Now your two subs are in phase.

Now, turn the mains back on and play the crossover frequency test tone through both mains and both subs. Increase the sub distance setting in the AVM60 until the tone is the loudest. It'll probably be farther than you think before your mains and subs are in phase. Some people like to use this technique with inverted sub phase and listen for the biggest cancellation, then flip the phase back to 0...I've always used the first/summing approach though.

Subwoofer plate amps with advanced DSP like SVS uses are all "slow," so without increasing the distance in the processor (which delays the mains), your subs will be firing after the mains. You can actually hear the difference pretty easily if your play a song with prominent kick drum and tweak the sub distance setting on the fly. You'll be amazed at how much difference every 4-5 feet or so makes to the tone of the thing.

This is really pretty easy to do. You can easily find test tones on youtube, Tidal, etc. It should take you 20mins, tops, to do all the adjustments and your system has the potential to sound a lot tighter with nothing more invested than your time.
Definitely easy enough to give a try! Just gotta buckle up and do it! It will be interesting to attempt to play with the phase controls - I had to set one sub at 180 to greatly diminish a dip in the 50Hz region, really helped. But even this is easy enough to do with quick measure until the best of all worlds intersects......

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #6959 of 9732 Old 05-02-2018, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
The same reason amps don't sound the same. That is, frequency response, resistance, phase, decay, distortion etc are all pretty easy to measure, but timbre is not. At the very best it can be interpreted by compiling many of the above properties, but even then it will be different than you predict. If it were possible for you and I to both sing a pitch-perfect note, you would still sound like you and I would still sound like me.

Certainly the sonic difference between amps and preamps will be much less pronounced than that example but thinking all amps, that are all constructed from different parts and all measure differently would all sound the same is just silly. The guys who think they do should perhaps enjoy a new hobby...or get a pair of speakers more able to resolve those differences.
Agreed that additional delay is required due to latency. Check with manufacturer if unsure. I have 12 seconds (feet) added to compensate for the delay in my JL subs digital circuitry.

Lumin T1 | Vitus RI-100 | Revel Ultima Studio2 | JL Audio: F110(2) & F112
post #6960 of 9732 Old 05-02-2018, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
PSA: Anthem is running another 20% off trade in deal. Details on their web site.

If you are lurking here considering a purchase, now is a good time.

If you recently bought......sorry. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page