The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4140Likes

post #721 of 9518 Old 02-28-2016, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RO View Post
Same part of a song, same volume level - just Change from remote from HDMI to multichannel (RCAs). Both in pure direct mode (out of video jitter). The results in favor of signal via RCAs versus HDMI. It not wow, but I notice the difference.
Mike RO I'm inclined to believe you, without requiring any further defense I'm also inclined to think its the DACs, especially how they are configured to reproduce multichannel sources. I've experienced the same thing in the reverse direction, with my Steinberg UR824 audio interface via RCA to a Marantz av8801 being inferior compared to the av8801 converters via HDMI (direct of course, no Audyssey). The UR824 is not high-end pro gear, but the stereo reproduction is quite transparent with an alternative 'clear' sound (Marantz is 'rich/buttery'). Its only when switching to 5.1 music sources or upmixes that the difference becomes quite clear. To my ears the difference is in the surround sound stage, including placement of instruments and panning, particularly in more sophisticated mixes. It's not level, FR or 'sonic signature'. I still use the UR824 to get good measurements for room correction, but for playback I use the better DAC implementation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9518 Old 02-28-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahltech View Post
Can anyone tell me how long does their XLR cable connectors protrudes out of their amps. Just making sure before ordering them that I have enough backspace.

For the subs do you guys use a XLR to RCA cable connection or just use a RCA from the AMV
There are right angle connectors, like these from Hosa. Hosa is a long-time pro brand. Good place to start; then you can listen for yourself if fancier ones sound better.
post #723 of 9518 Old 02-28-2016, 06:52 PM

Hosa right-angle XLR: Hosa-XFF-103
Bahltech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 9518 Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
This first impression isn't unusual. By equalizing in-room response of every bass note, ARC removes boominess which you may be accustomed to especially if your red sub curve shows a large peak or two. Leave ARC on for a week and you may never go back. If you still prefer more bass, change Room Gain to 6 dB in one of the speaker profile targets (then click OK, Calculate, Upload), insert a new input in the setup menu and assign this profile, and compare sound while switching between the two inputs. Changing room gain changes the subwoofer level while maintaining proper transition from mains to sub (better than increasing sub level alone or using bass control).
Can you boost low frequencies in the target curve?
post #725 of 9518 Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone here have the new Samsung UBD K8500 UHD bluray player? I am currently unable to pass an HDCP 2.2 signal through the AVM 60 using the new player. I think it is most likely a problem with the K8500, as I can pass HDCP 2.2 video using an Nvidia Shield TV. Just wanted to know if anyone is using the K8500 and getting it to work with the AVM60 or if anyone is having the same issues as me.
post #726 of 9518 Old 02-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc11223 View Post
Does anyone here have the new Samsung UBD K8500 UHD bluray player? I am currently unable to pass an HDCP 2.2 signal through the AVM 60 using the new player. I think it is most likely a problem with the K8500, as I can pass HDCP 2.2 video using an Nvidia Shield TV. Just wanted to know if anyone is using the K8500 and getting it to work with the AVM60 or if anyone is having the same issues as me.
Yes, I am experiencing the same issue. Seeing it with my K8500 as well as my Fire TV. I've been working with Anthem for a few weeks now to diagnose the problem. They sent me a test firmware just this morning, but I won't have a chance to install it until this evening.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #727 of 9518 Old 02-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Yes, I am experiencing the same issue. Seeing it with my K8500 as well as my Fire TV. I've been working with Anthem for a few weeks now to diagnose the problem. They sent me a test firmware just this morning, but I won't have a chance to install it until this evening.
Thanks Nugget. Let me know if the new firmware fixes the problem.
post #728 of 9518 Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Harrington View Post
Update:

I sent in an email to customer support. I'll let folks know how it pans out. ::fingers crossed::
Just an update. I wrote customer service, and mentioned that I was a recent purchaser of the AVM60, and I'd like to get in on the special offer. They asked for my original order number, and said they'd be happy to accommodate.

FWIW, I got the PW800, as I don't need a mini-amp.

Chances are pretty good if you contact customer service and ask, they'll hook you up. Just remember to be nice. They don't have to give you anything. =)
dlinsley likes this.
post #729 of 9518 Old 02-29-2016, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi everyone, Just ordered a AVM-60 and have a quick question. My main amp is connected via balanced connections. I want to use a spare amp that i have for 2 atmos speakers but the amp only has RCA connections. Is it ok to mix your preouts with some balanced and some unbalanced?
Thanks!
post #730 of 9518 Old 02-29-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I'm happy to report that the test firmware from Anthem does solve my HDMI 2.0a issues.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #731 of 9518 Old 02-29-2016, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So my impressions of the AVM 60... now that I've had a bit more time to live with this unit I'm seriously impressed.

For music, I think this unit excels in a few areas. Primarily it could be summarized by saying the unit gets out of the way. Or, it commits no sins of commission. More specifically I think relative to my Onkyo AVR it is more dynamic, it is more detailed, and ARC is doing wonders for the frequency response. I set the cutoff at 500 Hz (something you can't do with Audyssey, MCACC, YPOA, etc. this level of control is limited to ARC and DIRAC to the best of my knowledge), so I'm living with my speaker/room interaction above that but I'm using it to correct the lower midrange and bass. And it does a great job. I still want some room treatments but ARC is so clearly superior to Audyssey.

For movies, the story is more of the same but, while the clarity and dynamics certainly stand out, the bass is so much better than before. I played a couple demo scenes and the bass just feels so much more impactful without sounding overtly louder... just better. Like REALLY good.

This was a big purchase for me. Moving from a $1000 AVR to a $2000 (used) amp and $3000 pre/pro was a big jump. If I didn't think this unit was a large improvement, I'd return it and go for something like the Marantz 7xxx unit that is more along the lines of one of their AVRs with the amps removed. That won't be happening. I can tell you now I'll be keeping this unit.

So the other thing I mentioned is AnthemLogic. For the music version, what it does from my understanding is it derives surround channels from the source similar to DPL IIx but it doesn't add any echos or delays (Anthem is explicit and adamant about this) and it cuts the sound coming out of the rear speakers significantly so they end up providing a sense of width and depth to the front soundstage. There is (in my setup at least) absolutely NO sense that there is even any sound coming from the surround speakers. In addition, unlike DPL IIx Anthem does not derive a center channel. The only speakers playing are the main L/R and either two or four surrounds depending on your setup. Its an interesting effect. I wanted to say subtle but its actually quite a significant effect. I think the reason subtle came to mind is because of what I said earlier... its so skewed towards just enhancing the stereo imaging with no delays to add "ambiance".

I'm listening to Strike a Deep Chord right now. Its a blues album that was put out with some of the proceeds going to help the homeless. Its a really great album. It sounds ****ing fantastic. I seriously can't believe what I'm hearing. Grinning ear to ear.

My only remaining beef is that ARC uses a computer to measure (using a specifically calibrated USB mic) and calculate all of adjustments. The software only runs on Windows which is irritating in this day and age, especially considering how simple the software is. If REW has an OSX version so could ARC.
bkeeler10 and Edward Chen like this.

the lounj is a general interest/hobby discussion forum.
post #732 of 9518 Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
Hi everyone, Just ordered a AVM-60 and have a quick question. My main amp is connected via balanced connections. I want to use a spare amp that i have for 2 atmos speakers but the amp only has RCA connections. Is it ok to mix your preouts with some balanced and some unbalanced?
Thanks!

I have that exact setup and it is working with no issues. I did have to bump the Atmos speaker levels up about 2db higher than my mains, but at least in my case it is working fine.
post #733 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffin View Post
I have that exact setup and it is working with no issues. I did have to bump the Atmos speaker levels up about 2db higher than my mains, but at least in my case it is working fine.
Many thanks!
post #734 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I compare ARC result by REW/Umik-1 again today, found if use standard 5 position the SPL curve is not pretty good.
But if use only one listening prosition as 5 position, the curve is much flat.
And I found in ARC target the setting of room gain affect the curve batween 15 to 200Hz, not just simply rise sub gain . After play some DTS demo BD. I think if for multi channel music BD I prefer room gain set as 0 db to keep human voice clear , and for movie much room gain much fun.

So finally I decided ARC room gain target is , profile #1 +3 db for general movie, #2 for stereo CD, #3 +0 db for music BD, #4 +6 db for popular movie.

MyAv [email protected]
Anthem AVM60/QSC DCA 1644*3/BDP-S780/Viewsonic pro8200/Klipsch UltraII/Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by Edward Chen; 03-01-2016 at 06:56 AM.
post #735 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Can some verify that I'm correct in the that the AVM 60 does not have a USB audio input (e.g. it doesn't have a built in USB DAC for computer audio)?

post #736 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Just an update. I wrote customer service, and mentioned that I was a recent purchaser of the AVM60, and I'd like to get in on the special offer. They asked for my original order number, and said they'd be happy to accommodate.

Chances are pretty good if you contact customer service and ask, they'll hook you up. Just remember to be nice. They don't have to give you anything. =)
When did you purchase your AVM60? I tried contacting them and they said they will only honor purchases in the last week. I purchased mine on 1/5/16 and they won't honor the promotion.
post #737 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post
Can some verify that I'm correct in the that the AVM 60 does not have a USB audio input (e.g. it doesn't have a built in USB DAC for computer audio)?

According to the manual it does not have a USB input. The are two USB ports on the AVM 60, one in front and another in back. The front one is for firmware updates only and the rear is for factory service only (per the manual).
post #738 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:

I sent them an email on Saturday asking the same thing and haven't received a response yet.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
post #739 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have been kicking around the idea of replacing my 80.3.
So last weekend I picked an AVM 60.....I really hope ARC is as good as people say. Coming from the Integra which had a fairly easy calibration setup I am really looking forward checking it out.

G.E.M
post #740 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
I'm happy to report that the test firmware from Anthem does solve my HDMI 2.0a issues.

Great!

Steve Goff
post #741 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I just tried installing the beta firmware and am still receiving the hdcp 2.2 error message when I try to startup a UHD bluray(The Martian) in the k8500. Just wanted to check that we are running the same firmware, is the beta firmware you are on version 37? I don't seem to have any problems with 4K Netflix on the k8500 which is strange, just seems to be with disc playback. Also, is your TV HDMI 2.0a compatible? My tv is only HDMI 2.0 compatible(non HDR), so wondering what could be different between our setups that is still causing mine to fail the HDCP 2.2 handshake.
post #742 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I just tried installing the beta firmware and am still receiving the hdcp 2.2 error message..
Sorry to hear that you're still having problems. Yes, I'm running the test 0.0.037 firmware dated 29-Feb. My display is a Sony 930C which is HDMI 2.0a and supports HDR.

post #743 of 9518 Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
When did you purchase your AVM60? I tried contacting them and they said they will only honor purchases in the last week. I purchased mine on 1/5/16 and they won't honor the promotion.
25th Jan according to the email confirmation.
post #744 of 9518 Old 03-02-2016, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

If I'm watching a Dolby Digital EX, i.e. 7.1 surround movie, what is the difference between being in mode "None" vs. mode "Dolby Surround"?

post #745 of 9518 Old 03-02-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Chen View Post
I compare ARC result by REW/Umik-1 again today, found if use standard 5 position the SPL curve is not pretty good.
But if use only one listening prosition as 5 position, the curve is much flat.
And I found in ARC target the setting of room gain affect the curve batween 15 to 200Hz, not just simply rise sub gain . After play some DTS demo BD. I think if for multi channel music BD I prefer room gain set as 0 db to keep human voice clear , and for movie much room gain much fun.

So finally I decided ARC room gain target is , profile #1 +3 db for general movie, #2 for stereo CD, #3 +0 db for music BD, #4 +6 db for popular movie.
Are you looking just for a nice graph or for an "optimal" correction ?
A single point measurement does only guarantee you a better correction at that single point (mike position). Your ears are already several inches apart and your head moves even when you have settled down. So what sense does it make to reduce everything to a rather meaningless mathematical point ? This way the measurement system lacks all sorts of diversified input data, which normally enables it to create corrective filters for an area (and not single point) and allows it to remove local disturbances from the sound field during calculations. This is nonsense from my point of view, although it comes up quit regular in almost every thread concerned.
post #746 of 9518 Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
If I'm watching a Dolby Digital EX, i.e. 7.1 surround movie, what is the difference between being in mode "None" vs. mode "Dolby Surround"?
"None" maintains whatever it is being fed (7.1 in = 7.1 out), Dolby Surround would create additional channels depending on the source up to the maximum number of speakers you have. If you already have a multi-channel source, you will get fewer surround options. I think "Dolby Surround" is being used to collectively replace all of the ProLogic II modes. There should be a table in the manual that shows what surround modes can be derived from each type of source.

post #747 of 9518 Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. That's the assumption I had arrived at. I don't think there's a table. There's a page that describes what you're saying in a couple paragraphs but its a little light and doesn't go into a lot of detail.

Quote:
Dolby Surround upmixes stereo, 5.1, and 7.1-channel content to take full advantage of all
speakers in a Dolby Atmos system.
Unlike previous wideband upmixing technologies, Dolby Surround can steer frequency
bands individually, producing surround sound with precisely located audio elements and
a spacious ambience. Dolby Surround replaces the Dolby Pro Logic II family of upmixers,
offering greater flexibility and superior audio performance.
So I guess in a 7.1 system with a 7.1 signal it does nothing. If I had Atmos speakers it would activate them vs. None which would not.

post #748 of 9518 Old 03-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Play-Fi on Zone 2?

I've a couple of quick questions about the Play-Fi and zone 2support:

1. Is it possible to set the zone 2 output to be from Play-Fi, without having Play-Fi playing on the main zone?
2. Can the zone 2 volume be controlled from the Play-Fi app?

My theater is in my basement, on the same side of the house as our back yard and so I was thinking I may wire zone 2 to speakers there if the answer is yes to both - otherwise a PW AMP or another Sonos would be my plan.

Cheers,
David.
post #749 of 9518 Old 03-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Thanks. That's the assumption I had arrived at. I don't think there's a table. There's a page that describes what you're saying in a couple paragraphs but its a little light and doesn't go into a lot of detail.

So I guess in a 7.1 system with a 7.1 signal it does nothing. If I had Atmos speakers it would activate them vs. None which would not.

Correct. There is sort of a table in the D2v manual on page 36; it doesn't show the newer modes, but gives you an idea of how Anthem handles sources.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #750 of 9518 Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone else have an issue with the actual ARC software that when you go to rename Profile #1 and then you click somewhere else it doesn't change? I only have that issue with Profile #1 . If I try to rename any other profile it "sticks".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page