The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 291 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4151Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8701 of 9601 Old 03-16-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,660
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by leehan76 View Post
Hey guys. The attached diagram from Anthem’s manual shows the 2 in-ceiling speakers in front of the MLP. So in this case, would in-ceilings be “middle” or “front” in ARC’s settings if my speakers are 5 feet in front of my seats? Also, if I’m to run a 5.1.2 Atmos configuration is it better to have the in-ceilings in front of or Behind the listening position? Which typically sounds better? TIA
If you have four Atmos ceiling speakers two would in set to front and two would be set to back. If you only have two Atmos speakers then you would set them to middle because they should be just slightly ahead of your main seating.

Here's a link to download the .pdf of the Dolby Atmos setup guide. It has pic of all the seating for a 5.1.2 and 5.1.4 setup. https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...etup-guide.pdf
leehan76 likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 03-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Legairre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8702 of 9601 Old 03-16-2019, 11:34 PM
Member
 
leehan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
If you have four Atmos ceiling speakers two would in set to front and two would be set to back. If you only have two Atmos speakers then you would set them to middle because they should be just slightly ahead of your main seating.

Here's a link to download the .pdf of the Dolby Atmos setup guide. It has pic of all the seating for a 5.1.2 and 5.1.4 setup. https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...etup-guide.pdf
Perfect info. Thanks

Speakers: KEF R300 (L/R), KEF R600c (Center), KEF Ci160QR x4 (Atmos), JBL 306p mkII (Surrounds) Subs: JTR Captivator S1 x2 Processor/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA325, Rotel RB985 mkII Misc: Samsung K8500, ATV 4k, Sony PS4, MiniDSP 2x4HD Video: BenQ HT2050, 100” Screen Room: 2500 cu sq. ft. sealed on suspended floor
leehan76 is online now  
post #8703 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 04:18 AM
Member
 
dean122601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone have issues with downloading arc and it not recognizing your microphone?
dean122601 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8704 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Adz523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro NY
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi I just cut the cord with cable and I'm getting the Roku Ultra for my home theater. Can someone just confirm the following for me: I want streaming to be wired for better connectivity especially in my basement so I'm going to run a wire from my router into the back of the Roku ultra's ethernet port, then HDMI out from the Roku into my AVM 60's HDMI input. Is it that simple?

Anything else I should consider? I could run the Roku to my Oppo 203 which I understand from Mr. Garrett means that the Oppo will do the HDR mapping instead of the Anthem but seems to me that direct is best rather than adding another device in the path??

Adz

Last edited by Adz523; 03-17-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Adz523 is offline  
post #8705 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,220
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Hi all
Apart from Mac support is their any other advantage Arc genesis is going to have over what we currently have ?

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is online now  
post #8706 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,642
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean122601 View Post
Anyone have issues with downloading arc and it not recognizing your microphone?
Did you download your microphone calibration file as well? You've gotta do that part. If you have, and you've pointed ARC to the file and still no luck, you could have a bad USB cable, this has happened to a few members. In one case I think somebody did have a bad mic. too....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #8707 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,642
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post
Hi I just cut the cord with cable and I'm getting the Roku Ultra for my home theater. Can someone just confirm the following for me: I want streaming to be wired for better connectivity especially in my basement so I'm going to run a wire from my router into the back of the Roku ultra's ethernet port, then HDMI out from the Roku into my AVM 60's HDMI input. Is it that simple?
In theory, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post
Anything else I should consider? I could run the Roku to my Oppo 203 which I understand from Mr. Garrett means that the Oppo will do the HDR mapping instead of the Anthem but seems to me that direct is best rather than adding another device in the path??
The Anthem doesn't do anything with the video, it merely passes the signal to the display. Try it both ways, see if you like one result better than the other. I'm more of a simply guy - the fewer pieces talking to each other and the fewer cables the better. But if the Oppo can make a noticeable quality difference, I'd probably do that. I do not have a Roku, so can't speak from first hand...
WOKNROX likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #8708 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,642
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hi all
Apart from Mac support is their any other advantage Arc genesis is going to have over what we currently have ?
From Anthem's website:

New Features Include
  • Improved User Interface
  • Supports both Mac & Windows
  • Improved Algorithms
  • New Target Curve Adjustments
  • Save, Stop, Start and Resume
  • Remeasure Individual Speakers
Only you can determine if these are improvements or not, but they look like it to me. Additional functionality and the improved algorithms have me curious. And of course Mac support, I'd like to see that.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #8709 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Adz523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro NY
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
In theory, yes.



The Anthem doesn't do anything with the video, it merely passes the signal to the display. Try it both ways, see if you like one result better than the other. I'm more of a simply guy - the fewer pieces talking to each other and the fewer cables the better. But if the Oppo can make a noticeable quality difference, I'd probably do that. I do not have a Roku, so can't speak from first hand...
Thanks! I looked up his previous post and he said "if you want the Oppo to do the HDR tone mapping". I dont really know what that means or if it results in a meaningful difference in PQ. Anyway, my projector is JVC RS640 so maybe that does the tone mapping?

Adz
Adz523 is offline  
post #8710 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,642
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post
Thanks! I looked up his previous post and he said "if you want the Oppo to do the HDR tone mapping". I dont really know what that means or if it results in a meaningful difference in PQ. Anyway, my projector is JVC RS640 so maybe that does the tone mapping?

Yeah, don't know which one is going to better - I'd just try it both ways as mentioned and go with that one if it is really significant. You'd probably need to try a decent variety of material with which you are familiar to discern. If it doesn't seem noticeably different, stick with the simple connection.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #8711 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,220
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
From Anthem's website:

New Features Include
  • Improved User Interface
  • Supports both Mac & Windows
  • Improved Algorithms
  • New Target Curve Adjustments
  • Save, Stop, Start and Resume
  • Remeasure Individual Speakers
Only you can determine if these are improvements or not, but they look like it to me. Additional functionality and the improved algorithms have me curious. And of course Mac support, I'd like to see that.

Yes I will be using my Mac with this one. I guess like most will give it a go when it’s released.

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is online now  
post #8712 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,642
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Yes I will be using my Mac with this one. I guess like most will give it a go when it’s released.

We've got nothing to lose! I do hope they release it on time tbough, I don't like dangling carrots....
Franin likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #8713 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
From Anthem's website:

New Features Include
  • Improved User Interface
  • Supports both Mac & Windows
  • Improved Algorithms
  • New Target Curve Adjustments
  • Save, Stop, Start and Resume
  • Remeasure Individual Speakers
Only you can determine if these are improvements or not, but they look like it to me. Additional functionality and the improved algorithms have me curious. And of course Mac support, I'd like to see that.
Just to be capable of measuring results with ARC ON will be of great utility for me, along with remeasuring individual speakers. I have no intention of moving my central or surrounds, but I may wanna move my mains because of obtained results.

I'm curious about curve adjustments also...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Jonas2 likes this.

Sent while surfing
Cricket-RJ is online now  
post #8714 of 9601 Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I just hope they don't take away the ability to use our up-mixers however we want with this new update.
Legairre and Jonas2 like this.

Last edited by WOKNROX; 03-18-2019 at 11:04 AM.
WOKNROX is online now  
post #8715 of 9601 Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
As far as the comment with the roku. Here goes. Roku does work with the avm60, hdmi out to avm60 is the best that i have found. You more then likely with have handshake issues between the roku and the avm. I have found and idk why. When roku releases a firmware, until you install it, roku and avm dont always play well together. I get the hdcp screen. But once i install the new firmware it is fine until the next firmware. The first avm i had i thought i had issues, and i thought i hated the avm. But once i found out it was the roku, and how to manage it, i went back to the avm. Hope this helps.
Bgbullys is offline  
post #8716 of 9601 Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
progprog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Other Washington
Posts: 9,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Question Anthem service experience

Hey all! Haven't posted on the forum for awhile, but I do check in from time to time to see what's new! I did a quick search and couldn't find much, so thought I'd just ask:

Has anybody here ever had a warranty/service issue that necessitated shipping a product to Anthem for repair? I'm curious to hear about owners' experiences in terms of Anthem's responsiveness, communication, and general timeliness (on actual service, not just CSR phone help).
progprog is offline  
post #8717 of 9601 Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
studlygoorite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post
Hey all! Haven't posted on the forum for awhile, but I do check in from time to time to see what's new! I did a quick search and couldn't find much, so thought I'd just ask:

Has anybody here ever had a warranty/service issue that necessitated shipping a product to Anthem for repair? I'm curious to hear about owners' experiences in terms of Anthem's responsiveness, communication, and general timeliness (on actual service, not just CSR phone help).
It was several years ago but I had issues with my Sub 2 and once with my old D2v, I received prompt replies to emails and service took three days. That said I was able to take the unit directly to their main warehouse/office as I am only a 20 minute drive.

Anthem AVM 60, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" Curved AT Scope Screen, Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 Laser 3D Projector, Samsung 4K Blu-ray Player, Oculus Rift, Quest and Go VR, Xbox One X, PS4, Clark Synthesis Transducer For Chair
studlygoorite is offline  
post #8718 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 05:23 AM
Member
 
Nikola Tesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 39
New Owner Update

My fondness of my new AVM 60 has steadily increased after spending a little more time with the unit. Since I had been very happy with what DIRAC had done for the system’s in-room response, I had first considered the NAD M17 V2 and the ARCAM AV860. However, I discovered that the NAD appears to still be suffering from HDMI handshake issues similar to the XMC-1, and the ARCAM just doesn’t seem to score especially well in the SQ department.

My only concern prior to purchasing the Anthem was that ARC2 would be unable to match DIRAC with respect to room correction, so I was pleasantly surprised after running ARC2. It is doing at least as good a job as DIRAC in mitigating room colorations. When run with its default settings, ARC2 did reduce the perceived level of bottom octave information in my system, but not as severely as DIRAC had, and I’ve compensated for it by simply using the parametric EQ in my sub to create a 3 dB shelf between 20 and 40 Hz. ARC2 is so good that I’m now eager to try the new ARC Genesis software as soon it’s available.

The system is in a tragically live room - hard surfaces practically everywhere, so lots of reflections. No room treatment at all, because that stuff has a WAF of zero. DIRAC had done an admirable job of taming the room, and everything piped through the XMC-1 sounded great, but the Anthem is sounding every bit as good without any of the HDMI handshake issues that had plagued my XMC-1 ever since its 4K video board upgrade. So far, so good.
Jonas2, WOKNROX and Cricket-RJ like this.
Nikola Tesla is offline  
post #8719 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,642
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post
My fondness of my new AVM 60 has steadily increased after spending a little more time with the unit. Since I had been very happy with what DIRAC had done for the system’s in-room response, I had first considered the NAD M17 V2 and the ARCAM AV860. However, I discovered that the NAD appears to still be suffering from HDMI handshake issues similar to the XMC-1, and the ARCAM just doesn’t seem to score especially well in the SQ department.

My only concern prior to purchasing the Anthem was that ARC2 would be unable to match DIRAC with respect to room correction, so I was pleasantly surprised after running ARC2. It is doing at least as good a job as DIRAC in mitigating room colorations. When run with its default settings, ARC2 did reduce the perceived level of bottom octave information in my system, but not as severely as DIRAC had, and I’ve compensated for it by simply using the parametric EQ in my sub to create a 3 dB shelf between 20 and 40 Hz. ARC2 is so good that I’m now eager to try the new ARC Genesis software as soon it’s available.

The system is in a tragically live room - hard surfaces practically everywhere, so lots of reflections. No room treatment at all, because that stuff has a WAF of zero. DIRAC had done an admirable job of taming the room, and everything piped through the XMC-1 sounded great, but the Anthem is sounding every bit as good without any of the HDMI handshake issues that had plagued my XMC-1 ever since its 4K video board upgrade. So far, so good.

Nice report! Always good to hear from people that have multiple experiences like you, I think it brings a lot of value to the conversation. I too will be interested to hear what you think about ARC Genesis. DIRAC gets a lot of kudos. Really look forward to Genesis release and hope it gets some good, critical reviews both professional and otherwise.
WOKNROX likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #8720 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jsin_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 195
When is that release supposed to happen?
Jsin_N is offline  
post #8721 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,642
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin_N View Post
When is that release supposed to happen?

According to Anthem's site, April. You can sign up for an email to be notified upon release:


https://anthemav.com/support/arc-genesis.php

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #8722 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post
Hi I just cut the cord with cable and I'm getting the Roku Ultra for my home theater. Can someone just confirm the following for me: I want streaming to be wired for better connectivity especially in my basement so I'm going to run a wire from my router into the back of the Roku ultra's ethernet port, then HDMI out from the Roku into my AVM 60's HDMI input. Is it that simple?

Anything else I should consider? I could run the Roku to my Oppo 203 which I understand from Mr. Garrett means that the Oppo will do the HDR mapping instead of the Anthem but seems to me that direct is best rather than adding another device in the path??
That sounds pretty close to my configuration. I have a Roku Premiere+ hardwired to the router, and HDMI to the AVM 60. Also have an Oppo 203 connected via HDMI to the AVM 60.

Will you be enabling CEC or using the audio return channel? If so, this may be of interest.

I needed to enable CEC in the AVM 60 to support the audio return channel from my TV (for over the air broadcast TV). That introduced some intermittent bizzare operational behavior, specifically, when starting up the home theater to watch a blu ray or use my HTPC, the input would randomly change to the Roku device after about a minute. Eventually this was traced to spurious CEC commands coming out of my Roku device -- even when Roku's CEC was turned off! I wound up installing a Lindy CEC Less Adapter on the Roku HDMI cable to strip CEC content. It works great and operationally things are now very stable.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Bill-99 is offline  
post #8723 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Adz523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro NY
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
That sounds pretty close to my configuration. I have a Roku Premiere+ hardwired to the router, and HDMI to the AVM 60. Also have an Oppo 203 connected via HDMI to the AVM 60.

Will you be enabling CEC or using the audio return channel? If so, this may be of interest.

I needed to enable CEC in the AVM 60 to support the audio return channel from my TV (for over the air broadcast TV). That introduced some intermittent bizzare operational behavior, specifically, when starting up the home theater to watch a blu ray or use my HTPC, the input would randomly change to the Roku device after about a minute. Eventually this was traced to spurious CEC commands coming out of my Roku device -- even when Roku's CEC was turned off! I wound up installing a Lindy CEC Less Adapter on the Roku HDMI cable to strip CEC content. It works great and operationally things are now very stable.
Wow that is to be my exact setup in about a week (except Ultra instead of Premiere+). Did you try the alternative set up of going from Roku to Oppo to AVM?

As for your point, sorry I don;t really understand what CEC and ARC is and why I need to consider them vs just hooking up everything without considering those features. Can you elaborate for the uneducated? Thanks!

Adz
Adz523 is offline  
post #8724 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Adz523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro NY
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgbullys View Post
As far as the comment with the roku. Here goes. Roku does work with the avm60, hdmi out to avm60 is the best that i have found. You more then likely with have handshake issues between the roku and the avm. I have found and idk why. When roku releases a firmware, until you install it, roku and avm dont always play well together. I get the hdcp screen. But once i install the new firmware it is fine until the next firmware. The first avm i had i thought i had issues, and i thought i hated the avm. But once i found out it was the roku, and how to manage it, i went back to the avm. Hope this helps.
Thanks! Have you tried routing the Roku to your bluray (assuming you have one) and then bluray to the AVM?

Adz
Adz523 is offline  
post #8725 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post
Wow that is to be my exact setup in about a week (except Ultra instead of Premiere+). Did you try the alternative set up of going from Roku to Oppo to AVM?

As for your point, sorry I don;t really understand what CEC and ARC is and why I need to consider them vs just hooking up everything without considering those features. Can you elaborate for the uneducated? Thanks!
I did not try going from Roku to Oppo. Never really thought about it but now I will.

Of all the acronym collisions to have ARC is one of my least favorite. ARC = Anthem Room Correction. ARC = Audio Return Channel. Wow, that's really not helpful at all!

In what follows, any time you see ARC, I mean Audio Return Channel.

If you are using an antenna with your TV for local stations, there's a good chance you'll want to send audio to the AVM 60 using your HDMI cable. (Can't remember for sure but IIRC using an optical connection instead means you'll get stereo instead of DD 5.1,)

Setting up ARC isn't too hard. You need to select the correct HDMI port on your TV, enable ARC on your TV, plug the other end of the HDMI cable into the AVM 60 in the plug marked "HDMI OUT 1 ARC", and then enable CEC in the AVM 60 menus. This generally should work without too much trouble.

Where it can get troublesome is if you have an Oppo 203 and a Roku also plugged into your AVM 60. For whatever reason (guessing a bug), the Roku sends CEC commands to the AVM 60 essentially saying "I'm in control". The AVM 60 accepts those commands and changes to the Roku input. Mind, this can happen while you're trying to watch a blu ray on your Oppo.

I never found a true fix from Roku for this. Instead I put a Lindy CEC Less Adapter in the HDMI path connected right at the Roku box. It strips CEC commands out, resulting in more predictable operations.

Hope that helps.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Bill-99 is offline  
post #8726 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 286
@Bill-99
I also have this same issue but in my situation I have my Dtv box plugged into the oppo-203's "HDMI input" and then into the Anthem. I have the Anthem setup so hdmi 1 is for watching 4k movies through my Panasonic ub820.

Hdmi 3 input is for watching Dtv through the oppo-203.

Hdmi 4 is for watching Blu-ray through the OPPO-203.

All CEC, ARC are disabled and the Anthem is set to use "last input used"

Every time I turn on the the system to
Watch, say.. Dtv... after a few seconds it'll automatically switch to input 1.
Kind of frustrating.

So I ordered one of the Lindy's to see if it helps with my problem.

Thanks in advance...

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom cabinets Fully build, SS-BS DT BPXV, 4 Atmos DT SM 450's, Subs-Rythmik FV25HP front 2 HSU VTF-MK5-HP back, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
WOKNROX is online now  
post #8727 of 9601 Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Oops...double post..
WOKNROX is online now  
post #8728 of 9601 Old 03-21-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
@Bill-99
I also have this same issue but in my situation I have my Dtv box plugged into the oppo-203's "HDMI input" and then into the Anthem. I have the Anthem setup so hdmi 1 is for watching 4k movies through my Panasonic ub820.

Hdmi 3 input is for watching Dtv through the oppo-203.

Hdmi 4 is for watching Blu-ray through the OPPO-203.

All CEC, ARC are disabled and the Anthem is set to use "last input used"

Every time I turn on the the system to
Watch, say.. Dtv... after a few seconds it'll automatically switch to input 1.
Kind of frustrating.

So I ordered one of the Lindy's to see if it helps with my problem.

Thanks in advance...
Seems like in your case it shouldn't be necessary. Huh! I've attached my AVM 60 config info in case that might help. As you can see, I have CEC = On in attachment 3. Seems like if you turned that off you shouldn't have an issue!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	2542134   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	2542136   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2542138  

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Bill-99 is offline  
post #8729 of 9601 Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
 
slots1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post
Hey all! Haven't posted on the forum for awhile, but I do check in from time to time to see what's new! I did a quick search and couldn't find much, so thought I'd just ask:

Has anybody here ever had a warranty/service issue that necessitated shipping a product to Anthem for repair? I'm curious to hear about owners' experiences in terms of Anthem's responsiveness, communication, and general timeliness (on actual service, not just CSR phone help).
I had an upgrade and a repair years ago on my D2v
Shipped into them and had it back fairly quickly.
Good service and response
slots1 is offline  
post #8730 of 9601 Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
@Bill-99
I also have this same issue but in my situation I have my Dtv box plugged into the oppo-203's "HDMI input" and then into the Anthem. I have the Anthem setup so hdmi 1 is for watching 4k movies through my Panasonic ub820.

Hdmi 3 input is for watching Dtv through the oppo-203.

Hdmi 4 is for watching Blu-ray through the OPPO-203.

All CEC, ARC are disabled and the Anthem is set to use "last input used"

Every time I turn on the the system to
Watch, say.. Dtv... after a few seconds it'll automatically switch to input 1.
Kind of frustrating.

So I ordered one of the Lindy's to see if it helps with my problem.

Thanks in advance...
I re-read this and I worded this wrong.
I have the Dtv into the oppo on HDMI 1
But have it setup for "phantom" 3 &4 on the Anthem.

Panasonic ub820 on HDMI 2
But on "configure" 1 input on the Anthem.

Every time I fire up the system it jumps to "configure" 1 input...

I think I'll try switching my HDMI inputs around for the two players and see what happens.

Last edited by WOKNROX; 03-21-2019 at 09:00 AM.
WOKNROX is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off