The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4178Likes

post #9151 of 9732 Old 05-07-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
What exactly is the purpose of doing that? Should everyone do that or is there an indicator that we should look for to know when it would be beneficial compared to just allowing Genesis to correct the entire range? For what it's worth, all of my speakers are from the same manufacturer (Paradigm) and were all designed in the same line to intentionally have similar sound quality.
Typically, the "experts" suggest that you only use room correction EQ for the lower frequencies, also called the Schroeder Frequency. That goes for all of them: ARC, Dirac, Audyssey, etc.

I definitely found that to be true with Audyssey and ARC, where my experience lies.

However, there is something different about Genesis. I did some A/B testing last night, and it's hard to really hear a difference. In fact, if I had to lean one way, I might suggest the 5k setting might actually sound a bit wider in the soundstage this time around.

Once we all get a better handle on this, along with the inevitable firmware update or two, we'll have a better idea.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9732 Old 05-07-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitared View Post
That is bizzare, The Front L/R are powered by McIntosh MC452, the Center, Sides and Backs by an Emo XPR 5, the Atmos heights by an Emo A800 bridged mode.

Hmm. I wonder if that shelving has anything to do with the autoformers McIntosh uses in the 452 to decouple the amp's output stage from the load.

Completely unrelated, but I did run into old Frank McIntosh a couple times about a hundred years ago.

post #9153 of 9732 Old 05-07-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Typically, the "experts" suggest that you only use room correction EQ for the lower frequencies, also called the Schroeder Frequency. That goes for all of them: ARC, Dirac, Audyssey, etc.

I definitely found that to be true with Audyssey and ARC, where my experience lies.

However, there is something different about Genesis. I did some A/B testing last night, and it's hard to really hear a difference. In fact, if I had to lean one way, I might suggest the 5k setting might actually sound a bit wider in the soundstage this time around.

Once we all get a better handle on this, along with the inevitable firmware update or two, we'll have a better idea.

I am unaware of any such recommendation from the Dirac folks. I think many, if not most, Dirac users correct the entire audible range. I certainly did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9154 of 9732 Old 05-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post

I am unaware of any such recommendation from the Dirac folks. I think many, if not most, Dirac users correct the entire audible range. I certainly did.
Are you liking ARC or Dirac better sonically?

Oh yeah, thanks for all your amazing inventions, LOL.
post #9155 of 9732 Old 05-07-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Are you liking ARC or Dirac better sonically?

Oh yeah, thanks for all your amazing inventions, LOL.
I preferred Dirac to ARC2 for music and the opposite for video soundtracks. It's been a couple months since I last used Dirac and sonic memory is fleeting. However, recalling what characteristics I zeroed in on as far as Dirac being better with music, I'd say Genesis is at least as good to my ear.

You're welcome. My favorite was AC power.
BassMojo likes this.
post #9156 of 9732 Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:

I've been playing with the max EQ, (switching back and forth on the same music) and it seems that the front speakers are more prominent with a lower max EQ and the surrounds aren't as prominent. The surrounds don't stand out the way they did with a higher max EQ. It's not that the system sounds like ARC2 with a lower max EQ but it looses some of that Genesis (surrounds) sound with the lower max EQ. It's not as enveloping and it's more front heavy.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 05-07-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #9157 of 9732 Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just ran ARC Genesis and the channel levels and subwoofer (dual Rhythmik L12s) crossover seems quite high! 2 channel music sounds more forward and dynamic without ARC/Genesis enabled.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC-Genesis-050719.png
Views:	41
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	2564036  

Last edited by anilpani; 05-07-2019 at 11:03 PM.
post #9158 of 9732 Old 05-07-2019, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I've been playing with the max EQ, (switching back and forth on the same music) and it seems that the front speakers are more prominent with a lower max EQ and the surrounds aren't as prominent. The surrounds don't stand out the way they did with a higher max EQ. It's not that the system sounds like ARC2 with a lower max EQ but it looses some of that Genesis (surrounds) sound with the lower max EQ. It's not as enveloping and it's more front heavy.
I reiterate my earlier response.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #9159 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 06:42 AM
WLC

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Levels higher than 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilpani View Post
Just ran ARC Genesis and the channel levels and subwoofer (dual Rhythmik L12s) crossover seems quite high! 2 channel music sounds more forward and dynamic without ARC/Genesis enabled.

Any suggestions?
I also have speakers whose levels are set higher than 12. Since the AVM60 only has room to correct to 12, does this mean that an additional trim adjustment is necessary?
I posed this question to Anthem support and received an initial unsatisfactory response. When I stated my dissatisfaction, I got a request for my ARC3 report stating that
"Our engineers have asked for a copy so that they can take a look at it, with regards to levels being over 12 db." I am awaiting their response.
I also asked whether adjusting the System wide Level Target might address this issue without damaging the results.
I had posted these questions to the forum earlier but noone seemed interested in the questions because there was no response.
From your post, I wonder if you adjust the front trim by 2+ to compensate for the difference between the levels suggested and the Anthem's calibration limit you will get the 2 channel sound with ARC enabled that you prefer? Just a suggestion. Since I've not yet gotten a response from Anthem, I'm just guessing.
However, with my 7.4 system, adjusting the back and surround channels to compensate for this difference provided a significantly improved surround effect.
Incidentally, my wife and I are both astonished by the improvement that Genesis provides.
post #9160 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
I also have speakers whose levels are set higher than 12. Since the AVM60 only has room to correct to 12, does this mean that an additional trim adjustment is necessary?
I posed this question to Anthem support and received an initial unsatisfactory response. When I stated my dissatisfaction, I got a request for my ARC3 report stating that
"Our engineers have asked for a copy so that they can take a look at it, with regards to levels being over 12 db." I am awaiting their response.
I also asked whether adjusting the System wide Level Target might address this issue without damaging the results.
I had posted these questions to the forum earlier but noone seemed interested in the questions because there was no response.
From your post, I wonder if you adjust the front trim by 2+ to compensate for the difference between the levels suggested and the Anthem's calibration limit you will get the 2 channel sound with ARC enabled that you prefer? Just a suggestion. Since I've not yet gotten a response from Anthem, I'm just guessing.
However, with my 7.4 system, adjusting the back and surround channels to compensate for this difference provided a significantly improved surround effect.
Incidentally, my wife and I are both astonished by the improvement that Genesis provides.
@WLC

I read the questions you initially sent over to Anthem and look forward to hearing the response from Anthem engineers. Please circle back and keep us posted when you hear back!

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
post #9161 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the AVM60/ATI AT527NC and should have it next week; I'm replacing a 10 year old NAD T175 & T975. Looking forward to a new system...
I have a couple questions:
I have a REL S/3 sub, these are setup a little different than most subs, it connects to the FR & FL speakers outputs on the amp and it also connects to LFE. So even in stereo mode, the sub will put out sound since it's connected to the front speakers. How will ARC handle this? What's the best approach to set this up.

My Focal 1038 front speakers are rated at 33Hz - 40kHz, should I still use the typical 80 Hz cutoff for these speakers, or go lower to like 50-60Hz?

Anthem AVM60, ATI AT527NC/AT524NC, Focal 1038 be, Focal CC 1008 be, Focal 300 ICW6 (heights) NHT IC-4 ARC (SURR/BACK), REL S/3, OPPO 203, Sony XBR 75X940C
post #9162 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Couple questions.
Do you see +14 in the respective calibrations menu of the product?
Could you post the Genesis PDF report?

Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
post #9163 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieracer View Post
I just purchased the AVM60/ATI AT527NC and should have it next week; I'm replacing a 10 year old NAD T175 & T975. Looking forward to a new system...

Quote:
I have a couple questions:
I have a REL S/3 sub, these are setup a little different than most subs, it connects to the FR & FL speakers outputs on the amp and it also connects to LFE. So even in stereo mode, the sub will put out sound since it's connected to the front speakers. How will ARC handle this?
In the Adjust Targets pane you will set the Send Bass to Subwoofer to Flat for the L/R speakers. It will calibrate them as a full range speaker including your REL, and it will also separately calibrate the LFE channel feeding the REL.

Quote:
What's the best approach to set this up.
Depends on so many things, some of which are your preferences. Start off as planned and see how well it works.

Quote:
My Focal 1038 front speakers are rated at 33Hz - 40kHz, should I still use the typical 80 Hz cutoff for these speakers, or go lower to like 50-60Hz?
If the low-pass crossover in the REL is 4th-order, you can go as high as 80 Hz, but lower might yield some improvement as then there will be two bass reproducers (above crossover point) covering more of the modal region. Would be best to try a few different settings (all can easily be done from a single measurement session -- just make different Profiles).
Dick_Lai likes this.

post #9164 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I am getting the same type of results, and am very interested in Anthem’s reply. I assume no one replied to you since Genesis is so new.

Thanks.
—Charlie
post #9165 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 AM
WLC

Mis-alignment between speaker levels and calibration limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
I am getting the same type of results, and am very interested in Anthem’s reply. I assume no one replied to you since Genesis is so new.

Thanks.
—Charlie
I got a response from Anthem that I had sent the wrong file. They didn't want the PDF report, they wanted the ARC3 file. I hope I sent them the correct one this time.
In any case, I experimented with looking at the charts after changing the System Wide Level Target and did not like the results. I know the charts are not necessarily what you hear, but will not upload a different profile wide level target.
I will definitely post when I get a response from Anthem. I imagine there are many of us with the same questions.
post #9166 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roger, thanks for all the great tips!

Anthem AVM60, ATI AT527NC/AT524NC, Focal 1038 be, Focal CC 1008 be, Focal 300 ICW6 (heights) NHT IC-4 ARC (SURR/BACK), REL S/3, OPPO 203, Sony XBR 75X940C

Last edited by robbieracer; 05-08-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
post #9167 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I just ran Genesis last night and had zero issues getting it to run. Afterward, I ran through a bunch of music and movie demos to see how it compared to my previous ARC2 calibration. I first tried 2-channel music and I initially felt like the sound was ever so slightly "thinner" than it was before. Not a lot, but it felt like it was just slightly different than before and I was very pleased with 2-channel music with ARC2. It could just be in my head or maybe I just need to adjust to it, so I'll give it some more time. The big difference came with surround sound, both for music and movies. The surround and height channels are much more present now and just sound integrated better with the overall sound. Surround sound is even more immersive than it was before Genesis. I had always felt with the ARC2 calibration that the surrounds and height channels weren't as noticeable as they should have been, but Genesis has definitely taken care of that and I'm very pleased with that.

So overall I'm happy with Genesis especially for multi-channel sources. I'll need to give it some more time with music to see if I need to tweak anything. The levels that Genesis created are definitely higher than ARC2, but I think it's within reason. Looks like most channels were raised about 3 dB typically. Below are the levels comparing my ARC2 and Genesis calibrations. ARC2 is the first number and Genesis is the second number.

Front Left: -2 dB/ 1 dB
Center: -3 dB/ 0 dB
Front Right: -2 dB/ 1 dB
Surround Right: -1 dB/ 2 dB
Surround Left: -1 dB/ 2 dB
Back Right: 1 dB/ 1 dB
Back Left: 0 dB/ 1 dB
Subwoofer: -3 dB/ -1 dB
Height 1 Left: 0 dB/ 3 dB
Height 1 Right: 0 dB/ 3 dB
Height 2 Left: 2 dB/ 4 dB
Height 2 Right: 2 dB/ 4 dB

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
post #9168 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 PM

I have not had a chance to run Genesis yet, but something in the feedback from users has me intrigued. Many users are reporting that their surround and/or height channels are now way more prominent after running Genesis. Yet, in most cases, their ARC2 vs. ARC Genesis channel levels have increased proportionately by a few decibels, including their L/C/R. If all channel levels have increased, then I am trying to understand how the numbers don't support the impression of more active surround channels. And I am in no way doubting anyone's results.

Is it possible that Genesis is really adding some hidden gain in the surround channels that is not being shown to the user in ARC results or on-screen speaker levels?

Now if there had been a firmware update along with Genesis rollout, I might suspect tweaked decoding algorithms in the processor, but all of these differences are simply from a new room correction upload. Trying to get my arms around this.
ManMower likes this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
post #9169 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
I have not had a chance to run Genesis yet, but something in the feedback from users has me intrigued. Many users are reporting that their surround and/or height channels are now way more prominent after running Genesis. Yet, in most cases, their ARC2 vs. ARC Genesis channel levels have increased proportionately by a few decibels, including their L/C/R. If all channel levels have increased, then I am trying to understand how the numbers don't support the impression of more active surround channels. And I am in no way doubting anyone's results.

Is it possible that Genesis is really adding some hidden gain in the surround channels that is not being shown to the user in ARC results or on-screen speaker levels?

Now if there had been a firmware update along with Genesis rollout, I might suspect tweaked decoding algorithms in the processor, but all of these differences are simply from a new room correction upload. Trying to get my arms around this.
I am looking for someone who could do REW measurement on channels with ARC enabled , with ARC2 calibrated v.s. ARC Genesis calibrated.

I think the secret is not just on the sound level, but some adjustments improvement on some frequency which doesn't not show up accurately on the result graph. Because the result graph is based on a averaged FR on all positions, but not the MLP.

Finger crossed...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #9170 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Lai View Post
I am looking for someone who could do REW measurement on channels with ARC enabled , with ARC2 calibrated v.s. ARC Genesis calibrated.

I think the secret is not just on the sound level, but some adjustments improvement on some frequency which doesn't not show up accurately on the result graph. Because the result graph is based on a averaged FR on all positions, but not the MLP.
While it's not as calibrated as you want, it might still be informative to see my post in the other Anthem thread: Link
Dick_Lai likes this.

post #9171 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Finger crossed...

I think the key here is "some frequency that doesn't show up accurately on the results graph." If it's not in the graphs, then it truly is some secret Canadian sauce. The revised levels in Genesis and resulting graph comparisons between ARC2 and Genesis just do not show enough change in the atmospheric channels response to substantiate the impressions that Genesis atmospheric channels sound so much more prominent. The impressions people are providing sound a lot more like additional channel level changes, not just some selective frequency response improvements from response correction.

I look forward to diving deeper into this when I get some time away from work to run Genesis on my system and compare to ARC2 results. I'm purely in the theoretical domain at this point and trying to do the math. Look forward to seeing others post their ARC2/Genesis graphs to compare.

As a side note, how the heck did the AVM 60 thread and the AVM 60/MRX 1120/720/520 threads ever get so big without combining them into one? They are so similar and it gets tiresome checking both threads all the time for pertinent info.

post #9172 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Finger crossed...

As a side note, how the heck did the AVM 60 thread and the AVM 60/MRX 1120/720/520 threads ever get so big without combining them into one? They are so similar and it gets tiresome checking both threads all the time for pertinent info.
I like it that way. The AVM60 being a preamp makes it a different type of thread in many ways.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #9173 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I like it that way. The AVM60 being a preamp makes it a different type of thread in many ways.
I can respect that.

post #9174 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks so much for the input and suggestions. I look forward to hearing what Anthem tells you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Couple questions.
Do you see +14 in the respective calibrations menu of the product?
Could you post the Genesis PDF report?
I'm not sure which menu you are referring to, but here is the full PDF of my Genesis report.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ARC-Genesis-050719.pdf (181.7 KB, 16 views)
post #9175 of 9732 Old 05-08-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure which menu you are referring to, but here is the full PDF of my Genesis report.
I cannot open the file. It seems a little smaller than usual, at 182 k, or maybe it's just corrupted. Could you try again? Maybe save as .zip.

The menu is in the unit's setup, level calibration (for the specific profile). Shows the dB level for each channel. Just wondering if you see the same +14 dB there.

post #9176 of 9732 Old 05-09-2019, 05:53 AM
WLC

requested PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
I cannot open the file. It seems a little smaller than usual, at 182 k, or maybe it's just corrupted. Could you try again? Maybe save as .zip.

The menu is in the unit's setup, level calibration (for the specific profile). Shows the dB level for each channel. Just wondering if you see the same +14 dB there.

Here is my PDF showing the same issue with 3 speakers

Again, after changing the trim to bring all speakers to what I think is appropriate level, system sounds excellent

Eager to hear your opinion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf First ARC Genesis.pdf (830.4 KB, 14 views)
post #9177 of 9732 Old 05-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

I agree that just looking at the level adjustments it doesn't look like it should have made much difference in the surround and height channels compared to the others, but I was surprised when I listened after running Genesis. There is a pretty clear difference in my opinion somehow.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
post #9178 of 9732 Old 05-09-2019, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Osd

i recently ran genesis for my theatre and wanted to setup a new speaker configuration for 2.1 listening...i am certain i was able to access the OSD previously in my setup by running an hdmi from the output avm60 to input lumagen radiance pro and then just change to the input of the lumagen to see the anthem avm60 OSD. i have pressed the setup button on the remote but no OSD...any ideas?

thank you
post #9179 of 9732 Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post

I'm speaking of the Floyd Tooles of the world. They recommend that room correction only be used for the lower frequencies.

An exerpt from an article in https://hometheaterreview.com/room-c...ion-revisited/.

"Above 200 or 300 Hz or so, your room's effects on sound reproduction have less to do with the size and shape of the space and more to do with the qualities of the surfaces within it--namely, how reflective, absorptive, or diffusive they are, and where they're located. Here, we're dipping into controversial territory because not everyone agrees that a digital room correction system based on microphone measurements and calculated target equalization curves can successfully deal with problems in these frequencies. As acoustic engineer and president of Performance Media Industries Anthony Grimani once explained to me, "An omnidirectional microphone does not listen the way a human being does. The main difference is that a human being hears high-frequency sounds as mainly directional, directly from the speaker, and low-frequency sounds as integrated from the speaker plus the room. And then between low-frequency and high-frequency, there's a splice where those different ways of hearing gradually shift from one to the other." Needless to say, a microphone doesn't hear things that way, and it takes a lot of processing power and some sophisticated filtering to make up for that fact.

Acoustic experts ranging from acoustic consultant Floyd Toole to Pro Audio Technology founder Paul Hales agree that room correction shouldn't be applied above this switchover point, primarily because our brains are perfectly capable of compensating for things like the difference between direct and reflected sound above 200 or 300 Hz. The way Hales explains it is that a great concert grand piano sounds like a great concert grand piano no matter where you put it; you don't EQ it differently for different rooms. Likewise, whether you and I are talking in an anechoic chamber or a tiled public bathroom, you recognize my voice as being my voice. That's why those of us who aren't overly enthusiastic about many digital room correction systems describe their results as deadening or dull.
"

That said, Genesis doesn't seem as "deadening" in the 5K setting range as ARC-2 did with some material. There was quite obviously a different approach taken with this program.

post #9180 of 9732 Old 05-09-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I'm speaking of the Floyd Tooles of the world. They recommend that room correction only be used for the lower frequencies.
If one starts with timber matched speakers all around, one might make the case that EQ is not needed above the room's "Schroeder" transition frequency.

I am not one of those. I have 3 brands of speakers and they have significantly different spectral balance. The L/C/R sound great without EQ, but the 8 surrounds are a bright mess unless they are EQ'd to 15 kHz. Only then do I have a cohesive, seamless soundfield. This is the miracle of good "room correction" -- speaker timbre correction!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page