The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4142Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9451 of 9539 Old 06-18-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccondo1 View Post
I’m new to the AVM 60 so I have a basic question... If I set an input preference to Dolby Surround for multichannel input, will it automatically switch to atmos or DTS:X if detected?
Yes.

The Dolby Surround (DSU) setting is for basically everything else, and it is a fantastic feature. It will upmix everything you watch subtly into your height channels. Certain movies like The Revenant, which is 5.1 surround, play virtually like they're Atmos with the DSU upmixing. It provides a broader soundstage for the soundtrack and just makes everything "bigger" for non-Atmos/DTSX material.

In fact, I'll go as far as to say it does more for your standard blu rays than Atmos does for immersive sound discs. Most Atmos is rather underwhelming in relation to what you're expecting. The Revenant sounds more "Atmos" than most Atmos discs.

But to your original point, yes, it's set it and forget it. If it senses Atmos or DTSX, then that's what you get. Otherwise you get DSU upmixed. (I don't recommend the DTS upmixing setting because it's too aggressive and sometimes sends the wrong information to the wrong speakers.)

Just set all your inputs to Dolby Surround.
harlock_cap likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9452 of 9539 Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Member
 
Bittermidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccondo1 View Post
I’m new to the AVM 60 so I have a basic question... If I set an input preference to Dolby Surround for multichannel input, will it automatically switch to atmos or DTS:X if detected?
Yes, it should. I have a BluRay input set for Dolby Surround and it switches to Atmos or DTS-X if I watch an UltraHD disc. On 5.1 or 7.1 content, the AVM still utilizes all the height channels as Dolby Surround should, but doesn't change the front display. Pretty sure if it gets a flag for Atmos or DTS-X it automatically locks onto that.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
Bittermidget is offline  
post #9453 of 9539 Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Well, not sure what's different with ARC Genesis, but my initial impressions are that it is without question the best RC I have used to date and the only one that has apparently improved the sound of my mains in my room.

I reserve the right to change this opinion , but I spent a couple nights of critical music listening and I was very surprised. Zero loss of micro/macro dynamics and clean, tight bass. Very impressive indeed.
Gooddoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9454 of 9539 Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Well, not sure what's different with ARC Genesis, but my initial impressions are that it is without question the best RC I have used to date and the only one that has apparently improved the sound of my mains in my room.

I reserve the right to change this opinion , but I spent a couple nights of critical music listening and I was very surprised. Zero loss of micro/macro dynamics and clean, tight bass. Very impressive indeed.
You have yet to try an AVP with an integrated dirac implementation though correct?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #9455 of 9539 Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You have yet to try an AVP with an integrated dirac implementation though correct?
That is correct. I've only used Dirac on the miniDSP 88A.

You think it's better in the pre-pro's?
Gooddoc is offline  
post #9456 of 9539 Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
That is correct. I've only used Dirac on the miniDSP 88A.

You think it's better in the pre-pro's?
For one reason positively that you can do full atmos with it and not have to piggy-back 88a's. Otherwise, I can't comment on the implementation differences, and if there even are any to speak of. Ease of use however is undeniable if it's already built in

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #9457 of 9539 Old 06-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jsin_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I reserve the right to change this opinion ,
I look forward to a month from now when you turn it off and comment on how much better it is off
Jsin_N is offline  
post #9458 of 9539 Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
For one reason positively that you can do full atmos with it and not have to piggy-back 88a's. Otherwise, I can't comment on the implementation differences, and if there even are any to speak of. Ease of use however is undeniable if it's already built in
Yeah, integration is really nice. Dirac's new bass management might just pull me back into the fold .
Gooddoc is offline  
post #9459 of 9539 Old 06-20-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin_N View Post
I look forward to a month from now when you turn it off and comment on how much better it is off
That could happen for sure. It takes me time to identify issues.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #9460 of 9539 Old 06-21-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jsin_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
That could happen for sure. It takes me time to identify issues.
That's fair. But, do you think you're identifying issues or just listening to a change in the sound that sparks new interest?

Maybe your ears are better trained than mine, but, I know I chase the change to keep things interesting.
Jsin_N is offline  
post #9461 of 9539 Old 06-21-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin_N View Post
That's fair. But, do you think you're identifying issues or just listening to a change in the sound that sparks new interest?

Maybe your ears are better trained than mine, but, I know I chase the change to keep things interesting.
I don't think my ears are "trained", at least beyond having lived with a good neutral monitor for 5 years or so as my baseline. I'm not bored in the least by my speakers, so I don't think I'm looking for a change. I'm just looking to correct known room issues I've identified through measurements without negatively impacting timbre or really anything much beyond 500-1KHz.

I just haven't had an RC that could apparently pull that off. I have high hopes for Genesis based on my initial impressions.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #9462 of 9539 Old 06-21-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bghead8che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
I agree with you 100%, with a caveat that I'm experiencing only with Genesis (not previous ARC). In my system, it is implementing very different solutions for crossover points, room gain, and some other things like crossover slopes and minimum EQ from run to run with mic positions that I believed to be within a +/- of an inch or two horizontally and hopefully next to 0 difference vertically since the mic stand was locked in height. Not trusting my mic placement consistency, I hung plumb bobs from the ceiling at each measurement point to make sure mic placement was within probably 1/2 inch with each measurement run.

What I found was that Genesis was still very inconsistent with its choices for a lot of values, other than speaker levels which were very consistent. The UNCORRECTED frequency responses all looked basically the same on each run, but the equalization solutions were totally different each time. In addition, some of the choices Genesis made were just bizarre in the bass region. Last version of ARC did not deviate this much from run to run and provided really good solutions.

I don't mind going through the exercise of measurement and analysis with Genesis, but I'm at the point right now where personally, I think Genesis needs a little more time to mature and work out some of these details. I am encouraged that Anthem seems to be working diligently on implementation of refinements based on two official and one beta release within a month of launch, and also the list of things they've addressed has been right in line with what a lot of users are reporting here.
This seems to be a fairly major problem. Has anyone else noticed abnormal variances from run to run? Is Anthem aware of this issue?

Bittermidget (and everyone else) have you tried doing runs with the mic in literally the same position back to back? Is there a variance? What if you do a couple of caparison runs with the mic in two or three identical positions? Perhaps you could post the results so we could see if there is indeed a variance issue that needs to be addressed.

Brian R. Smith
Bghead8che is offline  
post #9463 of 9539 Old 06-22-2019, 03:46 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,214
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked: 8259
^ Try doing a global Auto Detect to see if Genesis picks different answers with the SAME Measurements. If so, try it again to see if it changes again. There should be no such changes. A change would indicate a bug.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #9464 of 9539 Old 06-22-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Now that Anthem has upgraded ARC to work with modern computers, I'm taking a second look at the AVM60. I like my trusty old MRX300 - the MRX300 with ARC sounded better than the Yamaha CX-A5100 despite the vastly higher spec analog electronics in the latter - but was not going to consider Anthem for immersive because Dirac runs on Macs and ARC didn't. I was not going to consider immersive at all, until I heard a compelling demo recently with an Auro layout and Auromatic upmixing.

How is the current iteration of AnthemLogic? The version in the MRX300 is not as compelling a listen as DPL2, which is sadly no longer included. (DSU and Neural:X both suck at upmixing 2-channel music.) Does AnthemLogic still underuse (or fail to use) the center channel? Has anyone compared it to Auromatic on 2-channel music recordings?

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
DS-21 is offline  
post #9465 of 9539 Old 06-23-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bghead8che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Issue with AVM60 and AppleTV

I am having an issue with my AppleTV 4k and my AVM 60. Whenever I turn on the AVM 60 and the AppleTV the resolution is stuck at 720p. If I go in the ATV menu the options for 4K are not available. Only when I restart the processor do I pick up a 4K signal. So basically I have to turn the processor on, then off, then on again. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Anyone else with this combo?

I've tried various cables, plugs, and unplugs to no avail. I have a Denon receiver on hand that does not do this.

Thanks for any/all help!

Brian R. Smith
Bghead8che is offline  
post #9466 of 9539 Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
shs1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Sierra Nevada
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post
I am having an issue with my AppleTV 4k and my AVM 60. Whenever I turn on the AVM 60 and the AppleTV the resolution is stuck at 720p. If I go in the ATV menu the options for 4K are not available. Only when I restart the processor do I pick up a 4K signal. So basically I have to turn the processor on, then off, then on again. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Anyone else with this combo?

I've tried various cables, plugs, and unplugs to no avail. I have a Denon receiver on hand that does not do this.

Thanks for any/all help!
I have seen this problem often, but not every time; perhaps about 20% of the times I turned the system on. After messing with the turn on timing and not succeeding, I put my HDFury Integral 2 between the ATV 4K and the AVM 60 and it now comes up in 4K every time.

Alternately, switching my projector to HDMI2 and back to HDMI1 often would work, or power cycling the AVM 60. I made macros for my Harmony Elite for that, but found that using the Integral 2 to assure that the ATV 4K used a 4K EDID was the most reliable fix (100%). Less expensive HDFury or other EDID spoofers should also work.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
shs1234 is offline  
post #9467 of 9539 Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Member
 
kronik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has HDMI7/front HDMI support for 4k ever been implemented? Figured out after some troubleshooting that was the issue getting my Apple TV set up but would like to know if it's worth upgrading firmware.
kronik is offline  
post #9468 of 9539 Old 06-24-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Now that Anthem has upgraded ARC to work with modern computers, I'm taking a second look at the AVM60. I like my trusty old MRX300 - the MRX300 with ARC sounded better than the Yamaha CX-A5100 despite the vastly higher spec analog electronics in the latter - but was not going to consider Anthem for immersive because Dirac runs on Macs and ARC didn't. I was not going to consider immersive at all, until I heard a compelling demo recently with an Auro layout and Auromatic upmixing.

How is the current iteration of AnthemLogic? The version in the MRX300 is not as compelling a listen as DPL2, which is sadly no longer included. (DSU and Neural:X both suck at upmixing 2-channel music.) Does AnthemLogic still underuse (or fail to use) the center channel? Has anyone compared it to Auromatic on 2-channel music recordings?
IMO Anthem Logic is a step better than auromatic which as you already stated is better than DSU or Neural X. If I were to create a hierarchy it would be (from worst to best): DSU<N:X<Auromatic<AnthemLogic<Logic7 (which is what I have now on my Lex).
DS-21 likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #9469 of 9539 Old 06-24-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,591
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Now that Anthem has upgraded ARC to work with modern computers,
Oh, you mean Macs? It's about time, ain't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
I'm taking a second look at the AVM60. I like my trusty old MRX300 - the MRX300 with ARC sounded better than the Yamaha CX-A5100 despite the vastly higher spec analog electronics in the latter - but was not going to consider Anthem for immersive because Dirac runs on Macs and ARC didn't. I was not going to consider immersive at all, until I heard a compelling demo recently with an Auro layout and Auromatic upmixing.

How is the current iteration of AnthemLogic? The version in the MRX300 is not as compelling a listen as DPL2, which is sadly no longer included. (DSU and Neural:X both suck at upmixing 2-channel music.) Does AnthemLogic still underuse (or fail to use) the center channel? Has anyone compared it to Auromatic on 2-channel music recordings?
In my experience, Anthem Logic Music - does not use the center channel - and I'm O.K. with that. I think it generally sounds better without it, better than DSU anyway - BUT - I actually find DSU to be very competent on a lot of the content I'm listening to/upmixing, even with the center channel in there. Sorry, no comparisons with Auro....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #9470 of 9539 Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

How is the current iteration of AnthemLogic? The version in the MRX300 is not as compelling a listen as DPL2, which is sadly no longer included. (DSU and Neural:X both suck at upmixing 2-channel music.) Does AnthemLogic still underuse (or fail to use) the center channel? Has anyone compared it to Auromatic on 2-channel music recordings?
I have experience with both of them. For me, it's Auro-Matic hands down. There are 16 upmixing strength and 4 room size settings, so you can season to taste. The soundstage sounds huge and I'm never going back to 2-channel.

AnthemLogic doesn't have those settings or options. The effect is also very subtle and can sometimes be indistinguishable from regular 2-channel listening.

Of course, YMMV.
Roger Dressler, BGLeduc and DS-21 like this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
duckymomo is offline  
post #9471 of 9539 Old 06-24-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,735
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
I have experience with both of them. For me, it's Auro-Matic hands down. There are 16 upmixing strength and 4 room size settings, so you can season to taste. The soundstage sounds huge and I'm never going back to 2-channel.

AnthemLogic doesn't have those settings or options. The effect is also very subtle and can sometimes be indistinguishable from regular 2-channel listening.

Of course, YMMV.
The only benefit I hear with AnthemLogic for music is a bit of EQ. The rear channels are not noticeable at all. I have not tried the movie mode with a stereo movie.
Gooddoc and DS-21 like this.

#JB17
BGLeduc is online now  
post #9472 of 9539 Old 06-25-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
The only benefit I hear with AnthemLogic for music is a bit of EQ. The rear channels are not noticeable at all. I have not tried the movie mode with a stereo movie.
I thought AnthemLogic was simply not working on my prepro. Guess I'm not the only one. I've put my ear to the rear speakers and there is nothing coming out. That's a bit too subtle I would think .
BGLeduc and DS-21 like this.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #9473 of 9539 Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,591
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
The only benefit I hear with AnthemLogic for music is a bit of EQ. The rear channels are not noticeable at all. I have not tried the movie mode with a stereo movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I thought AnthemLogic was simply not working on my prepro. Guess I'm not the only one. I've put my ear to the rear speakers and there is nothing coming out. That's a bit too subtle I would think .

Huh. That's odd (to me). I definitely get sound out of all of the speakers up to as many as I've got active (minus center). Definitely more subtle, but it's there...DSU is far more aggressive though IME, which can be hit or miss.
DS-21 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #9474 of 9539 Old 06-25-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Huh. That's odd (to me). I definitely get sound out of all of the speakers up to as many as I've got active (minus center). Definitely more subtle, but it's there...DSU is far more aggressive though IME, which can be hit or miss.
Which makes me wonder if I really do have defective processing of the Anthem modes. DSU definitely works, but I get nothing with Anthem modes
Gooddoc is offline  
post #9475 of 9539 Old 06-25-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,591
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Which makes me wonder if I really do have defective processing of the Anthem modes. DSU definitely works, but I get nothing with Anthem modes

I was just testing this again - definitely Anthem Logic Music is using the surrounds!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #9476 of 9539 Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,459
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Which makes me wonder if I really do have defective processing of the Anthem modes. DSU definitely works, but I get nothing with Anthem modes
If you are using Anthem's Music mode, check the surrounds, as the center speaker is silent.

If your "stereo" source is coming from a PC or otherwise wrapped in a 5.1 container (with silent C/Ls/Rs/LFE), Anthemlogic will not upmix it. It only upmixes pure stereo. Check the "mode" button to see what the AVM 60 reports as the source format.
DS-21 likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #9477 of 9539 Old 06-25-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
If your "stereo" source is coming from a PC or otherwise wrapped in a 5.1 container (with silent C/Ls/Rs/LFE), Anthemlogic will not upmix it. It only upmixes pure stereo. Check the "mode" button to see what the AVM 60 reports as the source format.
Ah, that ends my inquiry. My digital music listening is off a Mac Mini connected via HDMI.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
DS-21 is offline  
post #9478 of 9539 Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,459
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Ah, that ends my inquiry. My digital music listening is off a Mac Mini connected via HDMI.
What program are you using? I'm using Roon off a PC, and it supports both native stereo and 5.1 seamlessly. So perhaps a different program or some different HDMI settings might help?

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #9479 of 9539 Old 06-25-2019, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
What program are you using?

iTunes. But I’m getting the impression that I really want Auromatic anyway. Too bad Anthem doesn’t license it.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
DS-21 is offline  
post #9480 of 9539 Old 06-26-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,735
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
If you are using Anthem's Music mode, check the surrounds, as the center speaker is silent.

If your "stereo" source is coming from a PC or otherwise wrapped in a 5.1 container (with silent C/Ls/Rs/LFE), Anthemlogic will not upmix it. It only upmixes pure stereo. Check the "mode" button to see what the AVM 60 reports as the source format.
Not the situation for me. I have only ever used AnthemLogic Music with 2CH music sourced from CD played via from my Oppo 203. The rears do produce sound, it is just extremely low in level. I had to put my ear to the speaker to know it was playing. Could be something is broken, but nothing I really care to pursue. Everything else works properly.

#JB17
BGLeduc is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off