The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4142Likes

post #931 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Pretty pathetic support

I don't know why I read that Anthem has excellent support for their products. If I go on my own experience, it is pretty pathetic. Perhaps my standards are simply too high, and so my expectations can never be met. But I would rate LeeValley tools as excellent.

I go by the anticipation that if you submit an issue that someone would get back to you. If you have questions, that they might actually get answered, and all this happens within a reasonable amount of time. The hope is that there is enough staff to match the work load so things don't fall between the cracks.

I am lost to get my AVM60 to work correctly. I made the gross assumption that if I setup the unit to have Input2 go to HDMI2 on the back of the unit with audio linked to HDMI that I would get my picture and sound from my media player (Zotac ZBOX HTPC). If I turn everything off and power it all back up, I can get video but no sound. But this is where I get confused. If I turn on my Panasonic Blu-ray player, it doesn't matter what input the AVM-60 is on, the Blu-ray comes up. it's hooked into HDMI1 and it works on blu-rays with proper picuture and sound. A DVD however gets sound, but the picture is pictureboxed on the screen (with a large black boarder all around). Once the Blu-Ray player has been turned on, you cannot get to any other input. Even turning off the Blu-ray, you are stuck then on a total back screen regardless of what input you use. The only way out is to turn off the unit.

I've tried calling (long distance on my dime) to Anthem only to get put on hold and sent to a voice mailbox after 5 minutes. Left messages and no call back. Tried email and still no response. I have left email messages before for questions pre-purchase that hadn't been responded to either. I am left confused. how can they be so bad and yet get good reviews here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post
I don't know why I read that Anthem has excellent support for their products. If I go on my own experience, it is pretty pathetic. Perhaps my standards are simply too high, and so my expectations can never be met. But I would rate LeeValley tools as excellent.

I go by the anticipation that if you submit an issue that someone would get back to you. If you have questions, that they might actually get answered, and all this happens within a reasonable amount of time. The hope is that there is enough staff to match the work load so things don't fall between the cracks.
That's always been my experience. I've never had a problem getting a response from them, and the responses have always been intelligent. Unlike some other companies (Kenwood) who's support is worthless whether they get back to you or not.
post #933 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Roadkill401, I plugged the AVM60 into the hole left by the AVM50 it replaced plugged my sources into it via HDMI ran ARC and voila it works flawlessly. Only issue I had was my Harmony remote didn't work properly and that was fixed quickly by an update from Anthem. So for you to complain that you can't get it to work is Anthems fault doesn't ring right with me at all. Having read this thread from the beginning there has been a few issues but quickly dealt with from Anthem. Just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Looking at the back of the AVM-60 I liked the connectivity except for only one 12 V trigger. So assuming I can daisy chain the amps, not liking the thought of three amps starting at the same time. Anyone have issues with this limited feature?
post #935 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli44 View Post
Roadkill401, I plugged the AVM60 into the hole left by the AVM50 it replaced plugged my sources into it via HDMI ran ARC and voila it works flawlessly. Only issue I had was my Harmony remote didn't work properly and that was fixed quickly by an update from Anthem. So for you to complain that you can't get it to work is Anthems fault doesn't ring right with me at all. Having read this thread from the beginning there has been a few issues but quickly dealt with from Anthem. Just my 2 cents
It is great that you have a flawless install. It is what we all hope for, but it's not guaranteed. I was not complaining about it not working, but more that there is nobody at Anthem to possibly help me. They run the support department from 8:30am - 5:00pm EST that might not bode to well for those that work during the day. I guess they planned their staffing levels around that fact. But if you call in the morning and are greeted by an answering machine saying that it is checked throughout the day it sort of sets up the expectation that someone will be giving you a call back, hopfully that day if not the next. It doesn't say we will call you back sometime in the next 2-3 weeks, or you can leave a message but don't expect any response.

I don't think that my configuration is all that strange. I have a Panasonic TV that has an ATSC tuner inside and I watch TV OTA so to get sound out of the TV I use the HDMI ARC function listed on page 11. That in turn requires that CES be turned on. Now I also have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player that it seems Anthem can't play nice with. As soon as I turn on the Blu-Ray it resets all the input video source to the HDMI port that it is plugged into. in my case that is HDMI1. so I could be using input HDMI3 for some other device, and rather than follow the CES standard when the Blu-Ray is turned on and change what source the AVM-60 is tuned to, instead it reprograms the settings of the current input to match where the Blu-Ray is plugged in.

This does not happen with Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Yamaha or Marantz equipment that I have owned in the past. All of these devices function as expected. So I am going out on a limb to say that perhaps I got a total lemon that slipped past their tight quality control process, or Anthem hasn't figured out how to program correctly.

I am also not alone with other devices that give a picture but for some strange reason do not get any sound through HDMI. Again, I am going to guess that like me, everyone else who is having this issue, if they plugged the exact same component using the same cables into another manufacturers device, it likely was working fine. So the issue is some compatibility with how Anthem have implemented their systems. In your case as you went from a working Anthem AVM50 to an AVM60 then you would expect it to work as likely they have the same faults with their old systems that just got copied to their newest. Doesn't make it suddenly right.

I would love not to have to complain. I would love to have a system that simply just worked out the box. Right now I have something that just doesn't work for me and I am stuck waiting for someone from Anthem to call me and see if they can make it right.
post #936 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 03:52 PM

Take it back and get a Marantz, Yamaha or whatever else you have had before then problem solved simple as that then Boom done
post #937 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 04:00 PM
sfm

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I've tried calling (long distance on my dime) to Anthem only to get put on hold and sent to a voice mailbox after 5 minutes. Left messages and no call back. Tried email and still no response. I have left email messages before for questions pre-purchase that hadn't been responded to either. I am left confused. how can they be so bad and yet get good reviews here?
I've been an Anthem owner since 2006... Any issue I've had and emailed them with has always received a fairly prompt and mostly useful reply (even some arcane questions on my part). So I'm surprised to hear that you're emails went unanswered... can't comment on their phone responsiveness as I've never tried that.

As to your specific issues I notice you have CEC on (because of the Audio Return Channel need)... I suspect your issues lie there (and it is likely the fault of the AVM60 and its CEC implementation or perhaps your expectations are incorrect... which or both I cannot say). I replaced my D2 with an AVM60 and all of my source devices work as expected (HTPC, gaming PC, Bluray player, Tivo Mini, gaming consoles, etc.)... but I do not have CEC enabled.
maxfli44 likes this.
post #938 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 06:08 PM

For those who are looking for some answers about PlayFi on the AVM60 unit..

Here are the options that you have for playing off an iPad. if you have some local music stored on your ipad you can play it. I never did get the internet radio to ever connect to a station. The media server did see my Panasonic TV but sadly could not see my Synology NAS. it does have the DS-Audio software installed, but I don't think I put on the DS-Media, so I don't know if the audio option just doesn't have the DLNA server part.

The Play-Fi app doesn't allow you to stream from any other app on your iPad, so for me I can't get my radio from Tune-In Pro that I own so in order to stream my radio network from that app, I had to turn on AirPlay on Kodi (XBMC) and stream through that. (or I will once I figure out how to get audio to work with HDMI on my htpc box) I don't use Spotify, Rhapsody or tidal for music, so I guess there is no reason to look at Play-Fi for me.
post #939 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Looking at the back of the AVM-60 I liked the connectivity except for only one 12 V trigger. So assuming I can daisy chain the amps, not liking the thought of three amps starting at the same time. Anyone have issues with this limited feature?
I was worried also but then I just daisy chained my 2 amps together and it works great. Most amps have an input and output trigger to allow for daisy chaining the trigger.
post #940 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Greetings everyone. I'm new as far as posting to the forum but have been following it for many years. Have read all 939 posts about the Anthem AVM 60 for about 6 months now. I'm in the midst of planning a epic dolby atmos home theater upgrade to be done by a high end home theater store in Portland, OR in our brand new home wifey and I purchased about a week ago. The AV contenders for me like a lot of folks, are the Anthem AVM 60 and Marantz 8802 which has scored some really high reviews from the various websites. I'm really leaning towards the Anthem for the sound quality and ARC like many of you have already mentioned. Are many of you who have the unit still having issues connecting to a wifi network or it working properly with all your HDMI inputs? Has Anthem released timely firmware updates to address those issues? I can hardly sit still awaiting my home theater upgrade build and I'm bringing the wifey (who has the final approval for a demo of their atmos room with the AVM 60 on Sat so she can see and hear what all my insanity has been all about.
I thought I would quote from my sales consultant regarding the AVM 60 a few emails ago.

"Good Afternoon,

Just wanted to let you know we got the new Anthem processor and the new 200W per channel Rotel amp all hooked up today in our new room and it is sounding amazing! I have only listened to movies on it so far but after the room correction was done it's very good. We have a 5.1 system running on it now. At this price point this is the new number 1.

Let me know when you want to hear it."

"That's great and promising to hear. Would you feel the Anthem sounds better than the Marantz 8802? What really impresses you about the Anthem? Vs the Marantz?
The move is going smooth and we've been unpacking around the clock and getting settled in. My motivation is once we get all unpacked, wife gives me thumbs up to commence the home theater project".

"The Anthem comes off very dynamic and fast. It's very immediate sounding. It's not as soft as the Marantz. It's more detailed but it's not bright sounding which is good. The surround speakers really surprised us. It must be the room correction but the surround effect is very apparent and the steering is amazing. I'm convinced aside form maybe the Room Perfect in Mcintosh equipment the ARC room correction is the best. The before and after results are huge. I really do think you are going to love it".

Thanks for all your posts and feedback and please keep it coming especially reviews regarding the sound, neat features, etc. coming! I and many others greatly appreciate it! I will be upgrading from my Denon 3808CI receiver which I have loved but I'm ready to go the next dimension with a separate AV. I'm running B&W 804 speakers, the B&W HTM1 center and a Rotel 200W amp (adding another as well . Stay tuned for my Atmos HT build by Chelsea Audio/Video of Portland sometime mid April.....
maxfli44 likes this.
post #941 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 347
So I had an odd bug pop up. I was in the setup UI, and I wanted to rename an input (happened to be input 1). As this was already named, I wanted to blank out the existing name entirely before naming it (as I think I had a space character in the front of the name). When I blanked out the last character, the entire machine locked up on me. No input from the remote or the buttons on the front of the device worked. I emailed Anthem support, and they gave me a new firmware, v39, or, as it appears in the UI, 0.0.0039 (which is bonkers, but whatevs).

So v39 exists, although it's not yet up on the website. I also don't see release notes anywhere (it'd be super handy to track issues folks on the forum are having).

Anyone have a version > v39 yet?

LG 65E6P | Parasound A51 | Anthem AVM 60 | B&W 803D, HTM2D2 | Anticables
Oppo UDP-203 for transport | Clearaudio Performance DC Wood for analogue | Mac mini for streaming
Roon for music catalogue | Plex for video catalogue
post #942 of 9528 Old 03-22-2016, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 26
For those of you having a hard time getting the Logitech Harmony working, make sure you update the firmware to 0.0.035. Discreet IR commands work with activities after that.

TV: LG OLED65B6P - Remote: Logitech Harmony Hub
Sources: Xbox One - OPPO UDP-203 - NVIDIA SHIELD
AVR: Anthem AVM60 - AMPs: Emotiva XPA-5, Behringer NU6000DSP, Monoprice 605030 (3x)
Front: Klipsch RF82 II - Center: Klipsch RC62 II - Surround: Energy CB-20 (4x) - Height: RSL C34E (4x) - Subs: MartyCube w/SI HT18d2 (2x)
post #943 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahltech View Post
I would also use XLR to xlr for my subs but they only support RCA. Just want to know if I should use XLR To RCA them since the other channels are connected via XLR
Mine is the same, also want to know the difference of XLR to RCA fo sub signal.

MyAv [email protected]
Anthem AVM60/QSC DCA 1644*3/BDP-S780/Viewsonic pro8200/Klipsch UltraII/Rythmik FV15HP
post #944 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
I was surprised they only had one as well considering it's an 11-channel pre/pro, but luckily one of my amps had an input and an output, so I just daisy chained them (surprisingly my more expensive 7-channel amp only has a trigger input, not output). It works great.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
post #945 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Anthem should of st least put in 2-3 triggers!
Will let you know if I have any issues with my 3amps

See Profile
post #946 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I am lost to get my AVM60 to work correctly. I made the gross assumption that if I setup the unit to have Input2 go to HDMI2 on the back of the unit with audio linked to HDMI that I would get my picture and sound from my media player (Zotac ZBOX HTPC). If I turn everything off and power it all back up, I can get video but no sound. But this is where I get confused. If I turn on my Panasonic Blu-ray player, it doesn't matter what input the AVM-60 is on, the Blu-ray comes up. it's hooked into HDMI1 and it works on blu-rays with proper picuture and sound. A DVD however gets sound, but the picture is pictureboxed on the screen (with a large black boarder all around). Once the Blu-Ray player has been turned on, you cannot get to any other input. Even turning off the Blu-ray, you are stuck then on a total back screen regardless of what input you use. The only way out is to turn off the unit.

In my experience CEC is flaky even in a given brand. Between brands? Forget about it!
post #947 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
CEC Not Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithot View Post
In my experience CEC is flaky even in a given brand. Between brands? Forget about it!
I have an AVM60 and new Sony TV. I've found using the Audio Return Channel to be unreliable. I use a digital optical connection for TV audio to the Anthem. That was actually the recommendation of my Home Theater Dealer as well.
post #948 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoHT View Post
I have an AVM60 and new Sony TV. I've found using the Audio Return Channel to be unreliable. I use a digital optical connection for TV audio to the Anthem. That was actually the recommendation of my Home Theater Dealer as well.
Well, the standard is pretty well defined and there are many vendors that have done it correctly. I finally got a note from Anthem this after noon and was told that the V00.039 March 16th firmware should fix the issue. I will have to give it a try tonight.

I figured out a work around for my HTPC as I have two units in the house. One for the family room and the other for my media room. Turns out there two units are slightly different, and the one from upstairs seems to work fine with the Anthem where the one that I had originally hooked up downstairs (with a Pioneer receiver) doesn't. Can't give any idea why. They are both Zotac Zbox pc's but as they have two different P/N: I will assume they are slightly different.

I was also told that the Anthem IOS software that is right now on the apple store does not work with the x20 model receivers.. They are working on it still (even though it's advertised on the Anthem web site). Lets hope they release it as a universal app so it will work on both iphone and ipads.
post #949 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
AVM 60 Impressions

I decided to update my HT when I blew out a tweeter on my Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speaker system. Using common sense I decided that my upgrade budget should be spent primarily on quality speakers and subwoofer followed by a new receiver/preamp/processor.
After visiting many retailers in the Houston area I decided to purchase a pair of Vienna Beethoven Baby Grand SE speakers, a pair of Haydn Grand SE (surrounds) and a Vienna Acoustic Maestro Grand center channel to complete a 5 system, I then purchased a SVS SB13 Ultra as my .1. Using my Pioneer VSX 1120-K receiver I was amazed at the difference in sound using my new speakers.
After perusing the many AVS forums over a few weeks I decided I would purchase the Anthem AVM 60 along with two Emotiva XPA-5 amplifiers. I have a newer home that has four ceiling speakers installed in my main theater room so deciding on a Atmos; DTS:X system was a given for me. I now have a 5.1.4 system ready for the Atmos update.
I was worried that I wouldn’t experience near the sound difference with my new Processor as I did with my new speaker system, but boy was I wrong to my delight! I now have this stupid smile on my face every time I listen to my new setup whether it is pure audio or movies/TV.
Now to address some concerns expressed in this thread:
When I initially setup the AVM60 I also had difficulty connecting to my Wi-Fi, I had read where a previous poster had difficulty until he reset the receiver. Without wasting any time on reconfiguring my Wi-Fi, I decided to reset the receiver to factory default and boom I connected instantly after entering my credentials. Right or wrong I decided that it could be possible that in performing the final QA from the factory it might have left the Wi-Fi in an unknown state and by resetting the receiver the Wi-Fi was also reset.
My harmony remote also had trouble setting inputs but again a previous poster had suggested increasing switching delay times and my remote now mostly works every time, I may increase delays a bit more in the fine tuning stage (firmware v35).
All of my inputs are HDMI and my TV is an older Sony XBR 1080p. No problems at all everything works as advertised and handshakes are actually quicker than my old Pioneer. Switching between inputs is very quick.
Play-Fi in a word fantastic! I was able to get the Paradigm PW800 as part of my deal, it is now sitting in my master bathroom ARC’d and happy! Love it and the Anthem Play-Fi is fantastic. If the Anthem is turned off in my main listening area and I decide to continue playing a playlist from the bathroom, I just switch speaker systems on the iPhone app and the Anthem automatically turns on (along with the 12v daisy-chained amps) and starts playing from where I left off. Love it!
I feel a lot of the critical posts on the AVM60 are either do to one off situations or because the poster hasn’t read the manual or forums looking for a solution. My unit works better than I expected and I haven’t experienced any problems whatsoever!
Sorry for the long post but hopefully it helps someone.
scanido, loveithot and maxfli44 like this.
post #950 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Followup on my bug post prior : Turns out my steps to reproduce locally were validated at Anthem, so expect a firmware update to fix it shortly.

Huzzah.

LG 65E6P | Parasound A51 | Anthem AVM 60 | B&W 803D, HTM2D2 | Anticables
Oppo UDP-203 for transport | Clearaudio Performance DC Wood for analogue | Mac mini for streaming
Roon for music catalogue | Plex for video catalogue
post #951 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2793 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Well, despite a lack of certain features that other processors have, after much back and forthing, hemming and hawing, and head scratching - I pulled the trigger on the AVM60, got it on order.

Still no display to hook it up to, or an amp to use with it, but......
post #952 of 9528 Old 03-23-2016, 07:04 PM

I was given the v00.039 firmware a try. it fixed the issue with my HDMI no sound for the not so working Zotac Zbox pc, so now both of them work.

With the new firmware, if I turned off the CEC Power-Off function, then the Blu-Ray player seems to work much more friendly. Now, playing DVD's on the 4K TV is pretty ugly, and I think that is because there is two upscale events happening, in the Blu-Ray playing up upscaleing to 1080p from 480 to send to the TV that in turn must upscale again to 4k. So I think I will get myself a new Blu-Ray player that can send out 4k res direct to the TV as that should fix the issue. Plus my player is about 4-5 years old so it's served it duty well.

The issue I was having with a popping sound when Dolby Volume is turned on with the TV input. I don't know if this is more to do with the CEC or something else. it happens when changing channels and the receiver looses it's audio feed and has to re-sense what audio it is getting. I might try to see if forcing Dolby Digital mode fixes that, but I also use the TV input for all my TV SMART functions like NetFlix, Youtube, and other apps from the TV. I don't know if any of them default to DD or use something else. I will see if sending a video with what I am hearing to Anthem helps them out solving what is going wrong. The TV is on one wall and my equipment stand is on a different wall so it's not that easy to just run a Toslink cable as it would involve fishing a line down two outside walls, and the cable will need to be 40' long and I just don't happen to have one of those laying around. HDMI ARC should work and it was designed to carry a high bandwidth audio channel back to the receiver where S/PDIF is stuck limited to DD/DTS 5.1 max.

On the plus side, my power on and power off have sped up with the V00.039 so that now I can turn on in 3-5 seconds and turn off in 2-3 sec. (I was about 15-25 seconds each before)

Making some progress

Last edited by roadkill401; 03-24-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #953 of 9528 Old 03-24-2016, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
I have given the v00.039 firmware a try. it fixed the issue with my HDMI no sound for the not so working Zotac Zbox pc, so now both of them work.

With the new firmware, if I turned off the CEC Power-Off function, then the Blu-Ray player seems to work much more friendly. Now, playing DVD's on the 4K TV is pretty ugly, and I think that is because there is two upscale events happening, in the Blu-Ray playing up upscaleing to 1080p from 480 to send to the TV that in turn must upscale again to 4k. So I think I will get myself a new Blu-Ray player that can send out 4k res direct to the TV as that should fix the issue. Plus my player is about 4-5 years old so it's served it duty well.

The issue I was having with a popping sound when Dolby Volume is turned on with the TV input. I don't know if this is more to do with the CEC or something else. it happens when changing channels and the receiver looses it's audio feed and has to re-sense what audio it is getting. I might try to see if forcing Dolby Digital mode fixes that, but I also use the TV input for all my TV SMART functions like NetFlix, Youtube, and other apps from the TV. I don't know if any of them default to DD or use something else. I will see if sending a video with what I am hearing to Anthem helps them out solving what is going wrong. The TV is on one wall and my equipment stand is on a different wall so it's not that easy to just run a Toslink cable as it would involve fishing a line down two outside walls, and the cable will need to be 40' long and I just don't happen to have one of those laying around. HDMI ARC should work and it was designed to carry a high bandwidth audio channel back to the receiver where S/PDIF is stuck limited to DD/DTS 5.1 max.

On the plus side, my power on and power off have sped up with the V00.039 so that now I can turn on in 3-5 seconds and turn off in 2-3 sec. (I was about 15-25 seconds each before)

Making some progress
I am sorry but am I missing the point here? Where did you download the 0039 firmware from as Anthem website only showing 0035 for the AVM60? Many thanks
post #954 of 9528 Old 03-24-2016, 10:27 AM

Anthem is very slow at posting new firmware. you have to request it from their tech support and wait for them to get back to you. I have read that some are even up to v00.041 versions they are trying

I am curios to those that seem upset about there only being 1 12v trigger plug. why not use a 1/8" splitter? it's just sending a 12v very low amp signal down the cable to flip a relay. it's not that hard to split the signal to many devices as it's not sending any data.

Last edited by roadkill401; 03-24-2016 at 10:30 AM.
post #955 of 9528 Old 03-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anthem is very slow at posting new firmware. you have to request it from their tech support and wait for them to get back to you. I have read that some are even up to v00.041 versions they are trying

I am curios to those that seem upset about there only being 1 12v trigger plug. why not use a 1/8" splitter? it's just sending a 12v very low amp signal down the cable to flip a relay. it's not that hard to split the signal to many devices as it's not sending any data.
Thank you. I will request from Anthem but do you actually know what the differences are to the one you have and v0035 which is on their website? Many thanks.
post #956 of 9528 Old 03-24-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Not to be a smartass or anything.......but........if you can afford equipment like Anthem's, maybe you should hire your local independently owned audio/video store personnel to install everything for you properly. Just sayin'.
post #957 of 9528 Old 03-24-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInKY View Post
Not to be a smartass or anything.......but........if you can afford equipment like Anthem's, maybe you should hire your local independently owned audio/video store personnel to install everything for you properly. Just sayin'.
I hate to say it buy you sure come across as a dumbass saying that. The issues were due to a badly written firmware on the unit. I would have thought that paying the kind of money for an Anthem product, that they would have done some testing before shipping. But it seems that even though my 'dealer/independent installer' picked the box up from the head office of Anthem (as I live in Ontario) that they still ship the units out with out of date firmware. What makes it worse is that the current firmware that mostly works isn't even on their web site.

Now I guess that you are one of those people who have more money than brains and can't figure out how to properly plug in equipment. If Anthem sell a product that says it supports HDMI ARC, that technically if far superior in bandwidth performance, then why would you not use it. But still, like you there are people here who feel it's far better to call someone stupid for trying to use what is fundamentally better and suggest something that would be little more than a bandaid solution. Think of it like the thread of people who have trouble with getting their Samsung K8500 players to work with their video projectors. Rather than get to the bottom of the issue, you could spout off something like just out any buy a read OLED TV and hook up directly, but that does little to solve their problem of why it's not working.

I guess with my HTPC I could have just connected the S/PDIF toslink cable to the Anthem, and would have sound. But at that I'd be limited to DD or DTS only and loose out on the HD sounds and ATMOS that I bought this pre-amp for. In my case, it turns out that the units firmware was at fault and once I managed to get Anthem to email me a more uptodate version that issue went away. Would a dealer or independent installer be able to make that fix unless they themselves had that update? NO! So you see how any why your come across as quite ignorant with your comment.

There are quite a number of us here on this forum who do know how things work, how to trouble shoot problems and get things working. This forum hopefully comes across as a resource for others who run into the same issue to have a clue where to turn to get it fixed. There are going to be those who simply want to vent about what they find wrong, and that is their opinion. I guess I am guilty of just wanting to vent about my situation.

BTW: have a nice weekend. I know I will.
post #958 of 9528 Old 03-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Guys, could anone kindly post the latest version of AVM60 firmware v00.40? I think.. lol I am happy to provide my email if its easier.. many thanks
post #959 of 9528 Old 03-24-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I hate to say it buy you sure come across as a dumbass saying that. The issues were due to a badly written firmware on the unit. I would have thought that paying the kind of money for an Anthem product, that they would have done some testing before shipping. But it seems that even though my 'dealer/independent installer' picked the box up from the head office of Anthem (as I live in Ontario) that they still ship the units out with out of date firmware. What makes it worse is that the current firmware that mostly works isn't even on their web site.

Now I guess that you are one of those people who have more money than brains and can't figure out how to properly plug in equipment. If Anthem sell a product that says it supports HDMI ARC, that technically if far superior in bandwidth performance, then why would you not use it. But still, like you there are people here who feel it's far better to call someone stupid for trying to use what is fundamentally better and suggest something that would be little more than a bandaid solution. Think of it like the thread of people who have trouble with getting their Samsung K8500 players to work with their video projectors. Rather than get to the bottom of the issue, you could spout off something like just out any buy a read OLED TV and hook up directly, but that does little to solve their problem of why it's not working.

I guess with my HTPC I could have just connected the S/PDIF toslink cable to the Anthem, and would have sound. But at that I'd be limited to DD or DTS only and loose out on the HD sounds and ATMOS that I bought this pre-amp for. In my case, it turns out that the units firmware was at fault and once I managed to get Anthem to email me a more uptodate version that issue went away. Would a dealer or independent installer be able to make that fix unless they themselves had that update? NO! So you see how any why your come across as quite ignorant with your comment.

There are quite a number of us here on this forum who do know how things work, how to trouble shoot problems and get things working. This forum hopefully comes across as a resource for others who run into the same issue to have a clue where to turn to get it fixed. There are going to be those who simply want to vent about what they find wrong, and that is their opinion. I guess I am guilty of just wanting to vent about my situation.

BTW: have a nice weekend. I know I will.
Told you once telling you again put it back in the box and return it. If I whined as much as you have that energy could have been better spent with another product that suits your needs and abilities instead of bitching about it, I would have gotten another product in minutes not sat here and complained about it. Not every product is for everyone, and as far as out of date software boohoo. Anthem have been more than forthcoming with updates as needed. If you spent time reading this thread you would have seen that some issues where there from the start and most of them have been dealt with rather quickly. Just because there are other versions out there doesn't mean it is a bad product at all, all issues for me were fixed with the 35 patch. Don't like it take it back simple solution for all involved.

Last edited by maxfli44; 03-24-2016 at 04:10 PM.
post #960 of 9528 Old 03-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Been closely watching this processor compared with Marantz 8802a and Mcintosh's new MX122. After many hours of auditioning, I am happy to have decided on the AVM60! The sound was very close to the MX122. What pushed me in the end was product support seems to be so much better with Anthem over Mcintosh. Also, I felt ARC to be more promising over Audyssey XT32.

I get it this week so cant wait to hook it up and compare it to my MX150 ($12,000 pre/pro with Room Perfect). I've been very happy with the MX150 and with Lyndorfs Room perfect, but it was time to let it go and venture into the new object based formats as I believe they are worthy of an upgrade. My natural upgrade path was McIntosh successor MX160, but seems from current owners the unit is still quite premature. Didn't want to pour that much when a MX162 will likely be out soon.

I noticed most users have upgraded from a mid range receiver or pre/pro, but rarely seen anyone 'upgrade' from one of the more expensive last gen processors to AVM60, so it would be interesting to see how the AVM60 stacks up compared to MX150 for 2CH music, bluray concerts, which is majority of my listening. Speakers will be B&W 800series, and Mcintosh monoblocks.
Thought I update my experience with the AVM60...

Ive had the processor almost a week now and first thoughts, the build quality is what you'd expect I guess on a receiver unit. Build is mostly stamped steel and the weight was light. It must of been half the weight of my MX. I didn't care much for this, as long as the front facia looked nice and it did. The front door flap was flimsy though.

I intially had concerns about the single 12v trigger, but I'm happy to say I was able to daisy chain my 4 Mcintosh amps without issue. What I miss is not being able to control my amps led meters. Minor but I can live without that.

The unit was easy to setup and the UI is really nicer than mx150. Some features I am missing - You cannot calibrate each channels level by 0.5db. So I had some channels that were not evenly matched. The distance settings cannot be set in inches, only feet which I find not as precise. You cannot adjust each inputs level. You'll need to calibrate a specific speaker config for each input source. It would be easier if you can just adjust the overall level instead for each input. Wonder if that means I also have to run ARC for each input? Also, I already miss not being able to run my subs in stereo. This is a huge feature I miss already as I do a lot of 2ch listening.

Now more importantly, how's the sound?

I did a basic setup with levels and distance. I haven't run ARC yet. First thoughts, the sound has lots of resolution, however... I find it lacking any fullness. There seems to be missing upper bass and the mids lost that finesse. I played some concert blurays and the kick drum doesn't have that same attack and the saxes just don't sound as real and lively. I was surprised my wife even commented how the sound was flatter and was not as dynamic. When played at reference the sound gets muffled and it seems you lose that layering between instruments. This was mostly on concert and 2ch music. I haven't tested movies yet.

I don't know if I need to really break the AVM60 in as I find the sound to be okay. I was really stoked and wishful that advancements in technology would have caught up to a 7yr old processor. So far the avm60 is not in the same league as the mx150, but I'm going to give it some more time.

If there is anything positive to say, the price point and value of the processor was phenomenal. if I never have heard the MX then this processor is great as I found it sounded better than the Yamaha 5100 and Marantz 8802a. For what you are getting for $3k is better than anything on the market now in my opinion. But I'm going to give it more time and run ARC. I'm really hoping for the unit to blossom up and at least be on par - sound quality wise with the mx150 in the coming weeks.

More to come...

See Profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page