The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 322 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4185Likes

post #9631 of 9761 Old 09-04-2019, 05:25 PM
All That Jazz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamsterla View Post
I have been successfully using a Harmony Elite setup in a pretty complex system. Definitely better than CEC.
I never used CEC, but with Apple 4K and OPPO 203 used with a URC remote as set up by my dealer , I’ve never experienced any issues with the AVM 60. Works flawlessly since owning it.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” (main), Sony A9F 65”, Sony A8G 65”, Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3/Denali v2, Auralex room tx, black out curtains. 2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9761 Old 09-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post
Well Anthem got back to me and if anyone thought that maybe I was a dumb ass and hooked my mid-range up out of phase then you would be correct. Can't believe I did that.
No worries bud.... it happens to even the best of us....right?

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-1 Rythmik FV25HP & 4 HSU VTF-MK5-HP, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #9633 of 9761 Old 09-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamsterla View Post
I have been successfully using a Harmony Elite setup in a pretty complex system. Definitely better than CEC.
You guys are completely missing the mark. I don't care about controlling other devices, that's not why I'm using CEC. My LG C9 is capable of DD+ and Dolby Atmos. And for those to work, you need ARC. And for ARC to work, you need CEC. Now you get the method to my madness.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9634 of 9761 Old 09-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
You guys are completely missing the mark. I don't care about controlling other devices, that's not why I'm using CEC. My LG C9 is capable of DD+ and Dolby Atmos. And for those to work, you need ARC. And for ARC to work, you need CEC. Now you get the method to my madness.

That's what I meant on the first message: My TV is smart too, but I rather use an external source (a FireTV in my case) than the TV Apps.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Sent while surfing
post #9635 of 9761 Old 09-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
That's what I meant on the first message: My TV is smart too, but I rather use an external source (a FireTV in my case) than the TV Apps.

On my setup, it's no competition. The LG apps look worlds better than my Shield TV or Fire TV. Plus everything is auto (rez, color spacing, HDR... there are no compromises like when using a streamer). That and I get Netflix with Atmos thru the C9. You don't get Netflix with Atmos with either the FTV or Shield TV.

Cricket-RJ likes this.
post #9636 of 9761 Old 09-04-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
On my setup, it's no competition. The LG apps look worlds better than my Shield TV or Fire TV. Plus everything is auto (rez, color spacing, HDR... there are no compromises like when using a streamer). That and I get Netflix with Atmos thru the C9. You don't get Netflix with Atmos with either the FTV or Shield TV.

LG has sort of a "Air Mouse", I guess. Panasonic remote is outdated and the App is not exactly great. You are better served than me.

Funny thing is that with my previous TV (Samsung), AVM60 dealt great with CEC. With the new one (Panasonic) it has some difficulty when my wife wanna watch TV with its speakers with CEC enabled. Since I'm using Harmony, I simply disabled CEC and things are working fine.

Sent while surfing
post #9637 of 9761 Old 09-04-2019, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I haven't followed this thread in months, so hopefully this wasn't already mentioned. I've had an 65" LG C9 OLED for about a month now. I was hoping to use eARC someday. So I emailed my contact at Anthem. He told me the only way we could get HDMI 2.1 in the future (and thus, eARC) would be to buy a new processor which they are currently working on. No plans to add 2.1 to the AVM60. I would have gladly mailed them my unit and paid a fair sum to get a 2.1 retro-fit It's a bummer.
Hy,
Interesting. A new processor on the way...a reason to save money for AVM60 replacement.
It means a new TV and HDMI cables and player with 2.1 audio out. Nice...
Except eARC and 8k preparation (now it is too early IMO), why do we need 2.1? I mean practically.
Thanks.

Last edited by Mike RO; 09-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #9638 of 9761 Old 09-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RO View Post
Hy,

Interesting. A new processor on the way...a reason to save money for AVM60 replacement.

It means a new TV and HDMI cables and player with 2.1 audio out. Nice...

Except eARC and 8k preparation (now it is too early IMO), why do we need 2.1? I mean practically.

Thanks.
Because that's where we are headed in the near future? I'm not really sure I understand your question(s) though.

We certainly aren't too early for eARC as I already own an eARC equipped OLED. But it needs HDMI 2.1 to function and Anthem has made it clear they won't even consider an upgrade path with the AVM60.

post #9639 of 9761 Old 09-05-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 4103 Post(s)
Liked: 7213
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't followed this thread in months, so hopefully this wasn't already mentioned. I've had an 65" LG C9 OLED for about a month now. I was hoping to use eARC someday. So I emailed my contact at Anthem. He told me the only way we could get HDMI 2.1 in the future (and thus, eARC) would be to buy a new processor which they are currently working on. No plans to add 2.1 to the AVM60. I would have gladly mailed them my unit and paid a fair sum to get a 2.1 retro-fit [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG] It's a bummer.
What will you miss most on e-Arc? I believe it's not gonna be an issue for me since I prefer to use external sources.

My only complaint about AVM 60 is the lack of HDR10+ support. I've already contacted support about it, but they didn't give me a definitive answer.

HDR10+ should work fine already. The Anthem doesn’t touch the video stream as it is a pure pass thru. That is why DV worked right away. No reason 10+ would be any different.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #9640 of 9761 Old 09-06-2019, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously:

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/imax-...m-keeps-giving

Also I didn't realise there was a firmware update for the AVM60 (I had 1.488 installed). I've just uploaded the latest verison so do I need to rerun Genesis?

Last edited by SimonNo10; 09-06-2019 at 04:05 AM.
post #9641 of 9761 Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously:

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/imax-...m-keeps-giving

Also I didn't realise there was a firmware update for the AVM60 (I had 1.488 installed). I've just uploaded the latest verison so do I need to rerun Genesis?
Nice article. Nope, updating the firmware doesn't require you to re-run ARC.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #9642 of 9761 Old 09-06-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
HDR10+ should work fine already. The Anthem doesn’t touch the video stream as it is a pure pass thru. That is why DV worked right away. No reason 10+ would be any different.
It doesn't work. Tested with Oppo 203, Firestick 4k and I've also emailed Anthem asking about it. They said it doesn't work and there is no plan right now to do it.

Hooking Oppo 203 straight to TV works...

Sent while surfing
post #9643 of 9761 Old 09-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hooking Oppo 203 straight to TV works...

Not that this excuses Anthem from fixing HDR10+ for other devices but you should always do that with the Oppos. This is a huge benefit of an Oppo - dual HDMI output. One for audio (directly to preamp) and one for video (directly to TV).

post #9644 of 9761 Old 09-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Not that this excuses Anthem from fixing HDR10+ for other devices but you should always do that with the Oppos. This is a huge benefit of an Oppo - dual HDMI output. One for audio (directly to preamp) and one for video (directly to TV).

Since AVM60 passthrough video, I would prefer hooking one HDMI from Oppo to Anthem instead of using two. Oppo would still process image and AVM60 wouldn't touch it.

The Oppo HDMI IN doesn't process HDR10+ either, only HDR10 and DV.

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk

Sent while surfing
post #9645 of 9761 Old 09-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since AVM60 passthrough video, I would prefer hooking one HDMI from Oppo to Anthem instead of using two. Oppo would still process image and AVM60 wouldn't touch it.

The Oppo HDMI IN doesn't process HDR10+ either, only HDR10 and DV.

Have you compared both connections vs only one? I have and I'd never give the option up! HDMI handshake issues are but a fraction of the issue. I don't believe anything on the planet is truly transparent. Not switchers, not high end AVRs... nothing. The less crap you have in a circuit, the better. Need more evidence? Plug a FireTV (or whatever streamer you have) into the Oppo 203 HDMI-in and run it to the Anthem and then to the TV. Watch (pun intended) all the stuttering and handshake garbage you insert into the video chain. Easiest tests are on channels with a scrolling banner or fast moving live sports.

post #9646 of 9761 Old 09-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Have you compared both connections vs only one? I have and I'd never give the option up! HDMI handshake issues are but a fraction of the issue. I don't believe anything on the planet is truly transparent. Not switchers, not high end AVRs... nothing. The less crap you have in a circuit, the better. Need more evidence? Plug a FireTV (or whatever streamer you have) into the Oppo 203 HDMI-in and run it to the Anthem and then to the TV. Watch (pun intended) all the stuttering and handshake garbage you insert into the video chain. Easiest tests are on channels with a scrolling banner or fast moving live sports.

Will do it with more care this weekend. I've tried Prime Video using the TV app, Firestick 4k using Oppo HDMI IN and then straight to TV and using AVM60.

Cliff Olson likes this.

Sent while surfing
post #9647 of 9761 Old 09-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Nice article. Nope, updating the firmware doesn't require you to re-run ARC.
Thanks for that.
post #9648 of 9761 Old 09-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

I decided to run Genesis again today but this time I followed Anthems guide on mic positions and the "X" pattern and variable mic heights around the main listening position. These are the results. The sub graph is the best I've ever achieved almost completely flat correction curve. I had a quick listen to a SACD and found overall the sound being on the bright side. Bass wasn't as impactful compared to my previous calibration.

Any suggestions to improve things would be appreciated. I have posted this also on the dedicated Genesis thread as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Genesis 08092019Report.pdf (334.2 KB, 28 views)
post #9649 of 9761 Old 09-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post
I decided to run Genesis again today but this time I followed Anthems guide on mic positions and the "X" pattern and variable mic heights around the main listening position. These are the results. The sub graph is the best I've ever achieved almost completely flat correction curve. I had a quick listen to a SACD and found overall the sound being on the bright side. Bass wasn't as impactful compared to my previous calibration.

Any suggestions to improve things would be appreciated. I have posted this also on the dedicated Genesis thread as well.
Hi,
Why do prefer to listen SACD processed and calibrated? Because are native multichannel? If yes, ok.
Most of them are stereo and the best audio outcome is via analogue out (RCAs/XLRs) passthrough (disable in profile processing & calibration). If you have already tried this approach and did not like it, please ignore my comments.

That’s why I did not run ARC Genesis - to obtain something similar with your describing. I am sure you can improve the sound and I am curious how. Thanks.
post #9650 of 9761 Old 09-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi,
Why do prefer to listen SACD processed and calibrated? Because are native multichannel? If yes, ok.
Most of them are stereo and the best audio outcome is via analogue out (RCAs/XLRs) passthrough (disable in profile processing & calibration). If you have already tried this approach and did not like it, please ignore my comments.

That’s why I did not run ARC Genesis - to obtain something similar with your describing. I am sure you can improve the sound and I am curious how. Thanks.
I tend to test a SACD (Multichannel) in particular Dire Straits BIA as I find it has allot of elements to the recording plus excellent deep bass. I'm not a music purist personally and my system is structured towards Movies (setup is 7.1.4 Atmos). It's also easier to do a quick listening test with music rather than turn on the projector etc. Thanks for the reply.
post #9651 of 9761 Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5676 Post(s)
Liked: 5535
So we have one person talk to anthem who says they are "Working on a new unit" with absolutely zero time line and I see two units hit the classies almost immediately? I hope this isn't coincidence. Anthem is always "Working on a new unit" otherwise they would be closing the doors at some point...lol. Between genesis and this new Imax update, my personal opinion is that the current line will still be around for some time to come.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #9652 of 9761 Old 09-09-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
So we have one person talk to anthem who says they are "Working on a new unit" with absolutely zero time line and I see two units hit the classies almost immediately? I hope this isn't coincidence. Anthem is always "Working on a new unit" otherwise they would be closing the doors at some point...lol.
Uh yeah. I was quoting an email I received from Anthem CS. So if it sounded dumb.... it's because it was. But that wasn't the news I was posting about anyway. It was about the AVM60 and no upgrade path for HDMI 2.1.

beastaudio likes this.
post #9653 of 9761 Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
post #9654 of 9761 Old 09-11-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 556
^Had not heard this. Good news indeed!

post #9655 of 9761 Old 09-14-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrim74 View Post
Oh, no. I have to buy another 4 channel amplifier and speakers to have minimum true IMAX - 5.1.4.
But, wait. Are there TVs with this new audio codec?
post #9656 of 9761 Old 09-17-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Oh, no. I have to buy another 4 channel amplifier and speakers to have minimum true IMAX - 5.1.4.
But, wait. Are there TVs with this new audio codec?
Mike RO, I'm a bit confused. Why would the TV need this audio codec? Are you routing audio thru your TV and not the AVM 60? Not getting your point... probably just me.

post #9657 of 9761 Old 09-17-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Mike RO, I'm a bit confused. Why would the TV need this audio codec? Are you routing audio thru your TV and not the AVM 60? Not getting your point... probably just me.
Hi,
I mean in the situation when I stay with actual set up (5.1) and buy only a TV with IMAX codec.
I am asking because is a very recent codec and did not see it in last new TV offers. Thanks.
post #9658 of 9761 Old 09-18-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Simple question... It sounds like folks have found adding a MiniDSP for sub EQ has taken things to the next level. I’m game to give it a try. Is the 2x4 HD the recommended device?
Thanks
post #9659 of 9761 Old 09-18-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccondo1 View Post
Simple question... It sounds like folks have found adding a MiniDSP for sub EQ has taken things to the next level. I’m game to give it a try. Is the 2x4 HD the recommended device?
Thanks
Forgot to mention one thing. I’m 2 Hsu 15” subs along the front wall.
post #9660 of 9761 Old 09-18-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3387 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccondo1 View Post
Thanks
I find Genesis does a great job for SUBS

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page