The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 326 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4208Likes

post #9751 of 9814 Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had a problem with AVM 60. I ran ARC, after a few days, there was no signal to output ceiling atmos speakers anymore.After that, I tried all sorts of things, changing the signal line didn't work either. I tested the atmos speaker by taking the signal from the center, and tested the speaker and amplifier are OK.I had to run Load factory defaults again. Then there is the output signal for the atmos speaker.Has anyone ever seen a case like mine? I think the software is problem. Or was it because I made a mistake, after I ran ARC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 9814 Old 12-04-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fba621 View Post
I had a problem with AVM 60. I ran ARC, after a few days, there was no signal to output ceiling atmos speakers anymore.After that, I tried all sorts of things, changing the signal line didn't work either. I tested the atmos speaker by taking the signal from the center, and tested the speaker and amplifier are OK.I had to run Load factory defaults again. Then there is the output signal for the atmos speaker.Has anyone ever seen a case like mine? I think the software is problem. Or was it because I made a mistake, after I ran ARC
Any chance you turned the height 1 & height 2 speakers off on the AVM speakers setup menu screen?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #9753 of 9814 Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked: 1891
Quote:

Possible it was just a glitch. Weird things happen with tech., as we all know. Have had the issue repeat since the factory reset?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9754 of 9814 Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
Quote:
Dynamic Volume kills ATMOS output. Any chance it was inadvertently turned on?
post #9755 of 9814 Old 12-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
For me dynamic volume kills everything...

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk

Sent while surfing
post #9756 of 9814 Old 12-05-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
For me dynamic volume kills everything...

If you mean that literally, I can't say that I have seen that behavior. The DV/ATMOS exclusion is known behavior, although I am not sure I recall any explanation as to why.
post #9757 of 9814 Old 12-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
If you mean that literally, I can't say that I have seen that behavior. The DV/ATMOS exclusion is known behavior, although I am not sure I recall any explanation as to why.
Not literally... but even for stereo music Dolby Volume sounds like some frequencies simply disappears.

Sent while surfing
post #9758 of 9814 Old 12-05-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I'm betting BGLeduc nailed it. The AVM & MRX won't produce any sound from the Atmos speakers if Dolby Volume is on. I bet he has DV on.

Last edited by Legairre; 12-05-2019 at 12:40 PM.
post #9759 of 9814 Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What comes out the line out?

Does anyone know what exactly comes out of the line-outs in the back of an AVM-60?

I'm using the line-outs to run my tactile transducers and I'm wondering if it's the uncorrected full bandwidth stereo mixdown of all channels (including overheads) that I'm hoping it is.

I just changed some ARC settings, and I'd swear the shakers are behaving differently. I'm hoping someone can authoritatively tell me it's all in my head.
post #9760 of 9814 Old 12-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMower View Post
Does anyone know what exactly comes out of the line-outs in the back of an AVM-60?

I'm using the line-outs to run my tactile transducers and I'm wondering if it's the uncorrected full bandwidth stereo mixdown of all channels (including overheads) that I'm hoping it is.

I just changed some ARC settings, and I'd swear the shakers are behaving differently. I'm hoping someone can authoritatively tell me it's all in my head.

I think that the line out are a stereo mix down because I am running my wireless headphone out of them and the sounded good. But they could be keeping just FL, FR, Center, SW. You would need to use one of those test audio cd that has a test for each channel.
post #9761 of 9814 Old 12-11-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMower View Post

Did some tests just now with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X channel IDs, connecting a set of headphones to the line out.

The output always includes all base 5.1/7.1/9.1 channels (including LFE), but you only get the height channels if the AVM is not doing a full "immersive" decode. However, if you go to the speaker menu and deactivate the height/top speakers, then the AVM will play only the core "complete mix" of the bitstream rather than extracting the height channels. Thus the heights remain audible in the Line Outs.

For transducers, that won't be an issue.
ManMower likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #9762 of 9814 Old 12-12-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Did some tests just now with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X channel IDs, connecting a set of headphones to the line out.

The output always includes all base 5.1/7.1/9.1 channels (including LFE), but you only get the height channels if the AVM is not doing a full "immersive" decode. However, if you go to the speaker menu and deactivate the height/top speakers, then the AVM will play only the core "complete mix" of the bitstream rather than extracting the height channels. Thus the heights remain audible in the Line Outs.

For transducers, that won't be an issue.
Thanks for taking the time for a very thorough test!

That seems like pretty weird behavior, but I'd be surprised if there was a lot of ULF content in the overheads at times when none of the other channels do anything to excite the shakers.

So, yeah, for transducers it won't be an issue.
post #9763 of 9814 Old 12-18-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anthem avm and amp

Hi All, quick question. is anyone running this setup: Anthem AVM60 with MCA525 ? I hooked up mine yesterday, The volume range is from -95DB to 0DB, I am not getting any noticeable sound till I hit -40DB. Decent volume shows up around -20DB. I am using these with Martin Logan LCR 60xt and 50xt. I know they are low gain amps. is this normal ? I didn't run ARC yet
post #9764 of 9814 Old 12-18-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstarx View Post
Hi All, quick question. is anyone running this setup: Anthem AVM60 with MCA525 ? I hooked up mine yesterday, The volume range is from -95DB to 0DB, I am not getting any noticeable sound till I hit -40DB. Decent volume shows up around -20DB. I am using these with Martin Logan LCR 60xt and 50xt. I know they are low gain amps. is this normal ? I didn't run ARC yet

It really depends on the source. I find -30 to -25 is about where Disks start doing their thing, really cruising at -20, I rarely go higher except for mabe some older material that doesn't seem to be mastered around sound really, dunno! Cable TV, -25 to -20. Youtube, however, really is unpredictable. Depending on the video, I can get ear-shattering out of those volume settings, so I dial that back to often in the -40 range. Different amp on my AVM, but similar experience.
Bill-99 and ManMower like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #9765 of 9814 Old 12-18-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Yea agree with Jonas2, mine is all over the map. I do a lot of audio from my roku tv. My daughter watches a lot of youtube, which is always really low. I set my Integra to min volume on startup because my mother in law drops in and starts the spotify xmas music without a care in the world and last time she almost set my JBL's on fire. no more!
post #9766 of 9814 Old 12-18-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
AVM60 and MC525 here, and anything over -30 is uncomfortably loud to the point where I've set -30 as max volume to keep my kid from damaging the speakers. But don't take that as an indication that your equipment is broken - I think it's just (like mine) not properly calibrated, so that volume setting is essentially meaningless.

Just install ARC genesis and do a quick measure, the tone sweeps should be loud enough to make you want to be somewhere else. That's a decent indication that nothing's wrong with your equipment.
post #9767 of 9814 Old 12-21-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I’m not sure if this helps but I always reserve a MAC address , for whatever reason seems to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilpani View Post
Sadly, I'm still dealing with this issue and it is getting worse. Now there are times that the unit will be frozen even after plugging the power supply back in. As a result you cannot power on the unit. If the ethernet cable is disconnected, then there is no problem. So it seems to be a problem with the ethernet/Play-Fi connection. I have reset my home network router multiple times and have tried static and auto DHCP, but none of that seemed to help.

I need to keep IP Control ON and Standby IP Control ON as the unit is in a different room than the listening room. Also, both are required to power on the unit via Play-Fi, which I (used to) use frequently.

I reinstalled the Play-Fi software via USB as instructed on the Play-Fi website, but that only temporarily fixed the problem. I hope I hear back from Anthem soon, but it is very frustrating. Any other thoughts of things to try would be appreciated.
anilpani likes this.
post #9768 of 9814 Old 12-22-2019, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Short answer, if you are noticing a big difference between old and new amps, then I would suggest running ARC.

Longer answer, you don't mention what you came from or what you perceive as different. I have an AVM 60 and a MCA 525 & MCA 523. When I switched over to a pair of Mark Levinson 536 monoblocks for the front mains, I heard no noticeable volume level differences, even before I re-ran ARC.
post #9769 of 9814 Old 12-22-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by philg5140 View Post
I’m not sure if this helps but I always reserve a MAC address , for whatever reason seems to help.
I cannot recommend this enough. Randomized DHCP addresses were never meant to be used for "fixed appliances" or servers or computer assets. In 30+ years, I've concluded that some things just do not take kindly to having their IP's changed all the time unlike phones, laptops etc... Now if you are trying to coordinate between devices, such as a Logitech Base / Remote and anything, my point is becomes, "If you value your time or sanity - use the same IP consistently..."

For longer term stability, stop during setup and take the extra time to on your router to assign the SAME IP to your AVM 60's MAC address. You can still use DHCP, just make that MAC to IP assignment. The 2nd option is you can assign a fixed IP to the AVM60 by telling your router to NOT to use a range of IP's in your subnet and then just use those for fixed IPs. I prefer the former b/c I assign the SAME IPs to everything in my house which at least for me, seems to increase reliability and decrease "issues" which things hopping around. Basically, nothing gets an IP without me having the MAC address... except on the "Guest" network. YMMV. Cheers.
anilpani and ManMower like this.
post #9770 of 9814 Old 12-23-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Im a loyal AVM60 owner and love the device. I have had it for about 3 years now so I know the AVM60 is getting a little long in the tooth but all the specs seem to be up to today's standards.

I just purchased a new Panasonic UB9000 4k Blu Ray player. I am undecided as to whether I should split the signal, Video directs to tv and audio to a receiver or let the AVM60 pass through do the switching.

Will I see any kind of degradation in video pass through?

Sony A9g OLED, Panasonic UB9000 4K Blu Ray, 7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's. D-Sonic Amp, Anthem AVM60, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, QNAP 423, Roku, Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables
post #9771 of 9814 Old 12-23-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiorgio View Post
Im a loyal AVM60 owner and love the device. I have had it for about 3 years now so I know the AVM60 is getting a little long in the tooth but all the specs seem to be up to today's standards.

I just purchased a new Panasonic UB9000 4k Blu Ray player. I am undecided as to whether I should split the signal, Video directs to tv and audio to a receiver or let the AVM60 pass through do the switching.

There is zero video degradation, so no need to split the signal.
CygnusX2112 likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #9772 of 9814 Old 12-23-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiorgio View Post
Nope the AVM 60 passes all video through un-altered. It's a straight pass through so no degradation.

post #9773 of 9814 Old 12-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Nope the AVM 60 passes all video through un-altered. It's a straight pass through so no degradation.
I confirm. I am using the same approach in order to see the AVM 60 menu on TV. Passthrough.

Important is to have a high quality HDMI, full HD or 4k depends on your tech.
I am still in Full HD arena and next year I am leaning to change TV and universal player into 4k realm. AVM 60 and HDMI cable are already 4k certified.
post #9774 of 9814 Old 12-26-2019, 06:11 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post

I’ve just finished dialing in my system with ARC Genesis. Love the new interface, the power, and the flexibility. This version of ARC is light years beyond ARC2. Kudos to Anthem for pulling off a complete paradigm shift from what came before.

WOW! yeah....cheers!
Legairre likes this.
post #9775 of 9814 Old 12-26-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
This may seem like a silly question, however can anyone please advise me how I can split the 12v trigger out from the AVM 60 into 2 as I need to power both my power amps? Is there a special cable like a y cable etc? Would really appreciate some links from ebay or somewhere where I can purchase it.
Many thanks
Don't your amps have trigger in and trigger out on them?
post #9776 of 9814 Old 12-26-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
This may seem like a silly question, however can anyone please advise me how I can split the 12v trigger out from the AVM 60 into 2 as I need to power both my power amps? Is there a special cable like a y cable etc? Would really appreciate some links from ebay or somewhere where I can purchase it.
Many thanks
This is what you need. https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mono-Y-...H44PVHZKWK95AP

or one of these. same as above but in a more boxy form and has prime shipping so you can get it quicker. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107...9KN4K5F4M0CP1C

Last edited by Legairre; 12-26-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #9777 of 9814 Old 12-28-2019, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
This is what you need. https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mono-Y-...H44PVHZKWK95AP

or one of these. same as above but in a more boxy form and has prime shipping so you can get it quicker. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107...9KN4K5F4M0CP1C
Hi,
I have just connected AVM 60 with A5 via trigger cable. Nice.
Thanks to forum I have found it that the cable has to be mono (not stereo).
post #9778 of 9814 Old 12-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

external IR receiver

Does anybody what type of external IR receiver can be used with the AVM-60 ?
I was using one with my older D2 which does not seem to work with the AVM-60.

Thanks.
post #9779 of 9814 Old 12-29-2019, 12:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5848 Post(s)
Liked: 8353
I’ve run into a case where there are insane variations in the volume recorded for individual mic positions during an ARC Genesis Measurement pass. See this by going into Curve Viewer and turning off all the choices of what to display except for the first line which selects to show the raw data for each mic position for the selected speaker.

For example, Mic positions 1 and 2 show as roughly 75dB, but mic positions 3, 4, and 5 show as over 100dB!

Which Mic positions differ varies with each Measurement. When the problem appears, the anomaly is identical in the set of curves for every speaker. There are no error messages during the Measurement pass.

The problem goes away by switching to a different laptop and redoing the Measurement.

As best I can tell, the actual recorded data is wrong — not just some display bug on this chart.

This is nasty, because it screws up your Genesis solution, and it is unlikely you’ll spot the failure unless you just happen to look at this chart in curve viewer!

I don’t recall hearing any prior reports of this failure. And I’ve no idea what’s the root cause.

So just a heads up you may want to check this chart in Curve Viewer for your own Genesis solution file.
—Bob
cargen and njfoses like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 12-29-2019 at 01:15 AM.
post #9780 of 9814 Old 12-29-2019, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
Does anybody what type of external IR receiver can be used with the AVM-60 ? I was using one with my older D2 which does not seem to work with the AVM-60. Thanks.
I connected my AVM60 directly into a Xantech IR setup which multiple blasters per cabinet and 2 receivers. IDK if the AVM60 can actually POWER the receivers since the Xantech unit has it's own PSU but connecting the AVM60 to their signaling setup works. Xantech has been around 20+ years making IR items so there's a lot out there on eBay. Pay attention to the model #'s. For instance, a receiver 291-80 vs 291-95D look very similar but the latter is rated to receive and transmit a broader IR frequency spectrum so it is more compatible with a wider range of remotes. Their "kit" packages usually come with a receiver, PSU, a connecting block and some blasters, so it's the easiest way to get going. My gut says you cannot simply plug a receiver directly into the AVM60 b/c it needs power to run but IDK for sure, never ever tried that route. -> https://www.xantech.com/xantech-ir/choosing-ir

Last edited by gattaca; 12-29-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page