The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4149Likes

post #2281 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRearden View Post
COACH2369:

Have you had any problems running 4K through the Anthem? Audio or video dropouts etc.? I will be running a PS4 Pro and Xbox One S through my AVP to an LG OLED65B6P.
I have not had any issues that I would say are due to the Anthem. Having the right HDMI cable, especially on long runs, is going to play the bigger part in dropouts.

My JVC tends to have a delay when switching sources, but that is normal. I also have a HD Fury in my chain to help with stripping out HDR on 4K material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post
My apologies if what I am asking has already been answered in this thread, but does anyone know specifically what the newest software address and if it's worth doing at this time? I am hesitant to do it as I have no issues and the sound from my AVM 60 is great!
By software, I presume you mean ARC2 software. The update addressed the EQ where some complained about the lack of airiness in upper frequencies. Gauging the lack of reporting, it appears the update succeeded.

If instead, you mean firmware, then I suggest waiting for the DTS:X update which should be in the next two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #2283 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Harrington View Post
4k/4k HDR work just fine, as long as you stick to certified HDMI cables for your entire chain. Any non-certified cable is a crapshoot. (I've the 65E6P).
CM Harrington:

Thanks for the feedback. I believe my HDMI cables are gtg, so this is encouraging re: HDR. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I have not had any issues that I would say are due to the Anthem. Having the right HDMI cable, especially on long runs, is going to play the bigger part in dropouts.

My JVC tends to have a delay when switching sources, but that is normal. I also have a HD Fury in my chain to help with stripping out HDR on 4K material.
COACH2369:

Thanks once again. I'm glad to hear that the Anthem is 4K/HDR capable. My HDMI cables should be gtg so I just need to decide on one of the AVPs. Thanks again.
post #2285 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Did a bit more fiddling around with room treatments, speaker placement and ARC settings and believe I have found a sweet spot. I have ARC only correcting up to the Shroeder frequency of my room (about 350hz). With the way the room is set up, this is what gave me the greatest level of clarity and detail. I can honestly say, it no longer sounds "muffled" as I was going crazy trying to fix. I removed a thick acoustic panel from a location that I thought it should of been in and it fixed mostly everything.

I watched "Krampus" last night and it sounded excellent. Absolutely HUGE dynamics and great surround presentation. It gave me the greatest sense of "In the bubble" I ever had in my room, and I only have a 5.2 set up.
eyecatcher127 and bigdogaxis like this.
post #2286 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2810 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Did a bit more fiddling around with room treatments, speaker placement and ARC settings and believe I have found a sweet spot. I have ARC only correcting up to the Shroeder frequency of my room (about 350hz). With the way the room is set up, this is what gave me the greatest level of clarity and detail. I can honestly say, it no longer sounds "muffled" as I was going crazy trying to fix. I removed a thick acoustic panel from a location that I thought it should of been in and it fixed mostly everything.

I watched "Krampus" last night and it sounded excellent. Absolutely HUGE dynamics and great surround presentation. It gave me the greatest sense of "In the bubble" I ever had in my room, and I only have a 5.2 set up.
So, sounds like you are really getting it into the grove, really liking it beyond the Integra now?
post #2287 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
So, sounds like you are really getting it into the grove, really liking it beyond the Integra now?
Yes, I can honestly say I do like it more than the Integra sound wise, in just about every way. When I hooked the Integra back up, it did have the extra brightness that seemed lacking from the AVM60, but after listening to the AVM60, I must of gotten used to certain aspects of it's sound. While the Integra no longer had that veiled, somewhat muffled sound, I noticed it sounded EXTREMELY processed and the highs sounded relatively artificial in comparison. Which caught me off guard, I never noticed it sounding like that before. I guess it's one of those things you don't notice until hear something better. Then it stands out like a sore thumb. The AVM sounds much more natural. The way I have the AVM60 set up now, it no longer sounds anywhere near as "veiled" and the level of detail greatly exceeds the Integra. I'd say it no longer sacrifices anything in sound at all compared to the Integra. I'm definitely a happy camper now
Gooddoc likes this.
post #2288 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post
My apologies if what I am asking has already been answered in this thread, but does anyone know specifically what the newest software address and if it's worth doing at this time? I am hesitant to do it as I have no issues and the sound from my AVM 60 is great!
Just sit back and enjoy what you've got.
post #2289 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Did someone say "DTS:X update" ?
bigdogaxis likes this.
post #2290 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Is the AVM 60 worthwhile without ARC?

I do not own nor do I have ready access to a Windows PC.

I'm looking for a surround processor as I don't need the amp channels and would also ideally like to keep the height down unlike Denon/Marantz and their foot tall models.
post #2291 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 01:14 PM
All That Jazz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post
By software, I presume you mean ARC2 software. The update addressed the EQ where some complained about the lack of airiness in upper frequencies. Gauging the lack of reporting, it appears the update succeeded.

If instead, you mean firmware, then I suggest waiting for the DTS:X update which should be in the next two weeks.

I did read about the lack of airiness, but I don't have that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Just sit back and enjoy what you've got.
Indeed, that's what I am doing.
bigdogaxis likes this.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony Z9D 75" LCD main, LG EF9500 55” OLED, Sony A9F 65”OLED , Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3 , Auralex room tx, black out curtains. 2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
post #2292 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Is the AVM 60 worthwhile without ARC?

I do not own nor do I have ready access to a Windows PC.

I'm looking for a surround processor as I don't need the amp channels and would also ideally like to keep the height down unlike Denon/Marantz and their foot tall models.
You are able to use ARC on an iPhone or MacBook (with bootcamp/parallels) as well.

Preet
My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
post #2293 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

So are you saying you went from topping out Arc at 3000/5000 Eq max to 350 Eq max and it sounds better?

G.E.M.
post #2294 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred View Post
So are you saying you went from topping out Arc at 3000/5000 Eq max to 350 Eq max and it sounds better?

G.E.M.
Yes, exactly. I never really kept ARC at 5000hz, it just smothered the detail when doing that. Set at 350 hz, with the few adjustments I made to the room treatments results in a much better sound. I actually had to remove some treatment, the room was just too "dead."
post #2295 of 9585 Old 12-10-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
You are able to use ARC on an iPhone or MacBook (with bootcamp/parallels) as well.
Forgot about iOS.

Bootcamp/Parallels work well but I am not buying a copy of Windows just to run ARC.
post #2296 of 9585 Old 12-11-2016, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Yes, exactly. I never really kept ARC at 5000hz, it just smothered the detail when doing that. Set at 350 hz, with the few adjustments I made to the room treatments results in a much better sound. I actually had to remove some treatment, the room was just too "dead."

Made this change this morning ....much more dynamic ...with out making it sound processed.

Thanks,

G.E.M.
eyecatcher127 likes this.
post #2297 of 9585 Old 12-11-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred View Post
Made this change this morning ....much more dynamic ...with out making it sound processed.

Thanks,

G.E.M.
No problem. Dr. Floyd Toole knows his stuff.
eyecatcher127 likes this.
post #2298 of 9585 Old 12-11-2016, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question for those that know more than me. Everything is sounding great now, there's only one small thing keeping it from being better. The imaging is "okay" but for some reason, the left front speaker is making itself known and attracting attention to itself while the right front totally disappears. I tried playing with the delays (speaker distance settings) and repositioning but for some reason the speaker continues to draw attention to itself. The center image is strong for the most part, but some frequencies trace themselves back to the front left speaker.
post #2299 of 9585 Old 12-12-2016, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post
Interesting... As this relates to my IP control failing (or ARC 2 connection attempts failing) after the AVM60 has been on for a while with V.45 installed (I also tried V.44 with the same bad results) and since I still have the V.35 file hanging around I thought I would do some more testing. Armed with a script that simply pings the AVM 60 IP every minute I first unhooked everything from the AVM60 except for the HDMI out and network cable. Then did the following:

- with .45 installed, started the AVM60 and then ran the "ping" script from my PC... the pings started to fail after 1 hour and 35 minutes (with a "Destination host unreachable" message).
- installed .35, did a factory reset
- with .35 installed, started the AVM60 and again ran the "ping" script... the script ran for over 4 hours without issue before I stopped it.
- installed .45, did a factory reset
- with .45 installed, started the AVM60 and again ran the "ping" script... the pings started to fail after 1 hour 10 minutes (same error message as before).

Not a very rugged test for sure but seems to confirm that Anthem introduced this issue in the firmware after .35. I've had numerous email exchanges with them about this with no acknowledgement that there is an issue, let alone a resolution, or that my hardware may be at fault. I doubt that it is hardware related as when the IP control starts failing (which also means that the ARC2 app won't find the AVM60) I can still run a DTS Play-Fi client.

I will poke anthem support again on this.

And BTW, here's hoping your knee feels better soon!
The first AVM 60 I got would not connect to the internet. The dealer replaced the unit and it connected fine.

I am having a problem with hdmi video blanking with 2 different Sony projectors. The dealer has run extensive tests even installing a hdmi transmitter receiver which eliminated the cables as an issue but did not eliminate the video blanking which makes watching a movie impossible to enjoy. They even brought a 3rd AVM 60 to my house and it had the same problem.

Since I just had the Sony 675ES installed on Saturday I am waiting to hear from my dealer about what will be done next. The tech suggested a different brand of preamp like the Yamaha CX-A5100.

Has anyone had similar hdmi blanking issues?

Is anyone familiar with the CX-A5100?

David Ferebee
post #2300 of 9585 Old 12-12-2016, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc11223 View Post
I still am unable to properly pass the 4K signal which I suspect would be the case with your projector since it is not full HDR compatible. The AVM 60 has no problem passing HDR content to an HDR display or even passing non HDR content (I can play Netflix in 4K without any problems), but I still get a handshake issue when I try to play a UHD bluray. I am working with Anthem support on this but the fix has been taking a long time since it seems like there aren't many others or anyone else I have seen with a similar situation. I think they can fix the issue for specific TV or projector models, but they need the TVs EDID information which I believe you can only get from a computer with an AMD graphics card which I don't have. It hasn't really been an issue for me because I can connect the second hdmi out from the k8500 directly to the tv until they come up with a fix, plus I still only have 1 UHD bluray. I don't know that the oppo player would have any different results since it seems to be a problem with the AVM 60 at the output end. As for the picture quality I think it is a noticeable improvement over the upscaled version of blurays, but that could differ based on a lot of factors. I would suggest picking up the player and trying it out, then you can return it if you aren't happy with the improvement. 4K bluray will be the future so buying some movies now won't be a waste, and they come with the standard bluray version as well if you decide to return the player and wait for the oppo.
Since I bought my first AVM 60 I have had hdmi video blanking issues with 2 different Sony projectors. The first unit would not connect to the internet hard wired so the dealer replaced the unit and the internet connected just fine. The second unit has the same hdmi video blanking issue too. No matter what source I play from, Tivo, Oppo 105, Sony 4k Media Player, Sony 675ES or the new Panasonic DMP-UB900 it blanks almost immediately when the source is selected and then at least every 20 minutes until you get to the end of a movie and it happens more often. The dealer has even connected the pj with a hdmi transmitter/receiver so we know it is not the cables.

It has the latest firmware so does anyone have any suggestions besides going to a different brand preamp?

David Ferebee
post #2301 of 9585 Old 12-12-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post
The dealer has even connected the pj with a hdmi transmitter/receiver so we know it is not the cables.
That doesn't guarantee it's not the cables, every HDMI device you insert into the chain has the potential to cause problems.

Have you checked the cables from the sources to the AVM? Are they at least 6 feet long?

Lumagen (and IIRC Anthem, specifically relating to the AVM50/D2) recommend having no cables shorter than 6 ft:
http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0019_...tes_091713.pdf
"Short HDMI cables that are 1 meter (3 feet) long can cause problems. Most HDMI transmitter chips have a built in equalizer circuit that boosts the signal level to compensate for losses in the cable. A cable that is too short, can deliver a signal that is too strong, and overwhelm the input of the HDMI receiver chip. If you have short HDMI cables and are experiencing intermittent problems, a longer cable can make a more reliable connection. It’s a good practice to use good quality generic HDMI cables that are a minimum length of 2 meters (6 foot) long. "
post #2302 of 9585 Old 12-12-2016, 07:13 AM

@stranger 89 enlightening news from a reliable source. I never knew 2m is minimal length

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
post #2303 of 9585 Old 12-12-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
@stranger 89 enlightening news from a reliable source. I never knew 2m is minimal length
I had all sorts of trouble with my AVM50V and Lumagen Radiance (and Darbee at the time) when I had short cables in the mix. Eventually I went and replaced all the "short" cables with 6' BJC Tartans, as well as the long run to my projector with a BJC Series-1. Ever since then things have been quite reliable.

Today, I've got those same 6' BJC Tartans for all my source devices running into my MRX1120, and from there I've got (IIRC) another 6' Tartan to my HDFury Integral, to my 25' BJC Series-1 to my RS600, and it works fine, all the way up to >10.2Gbps (Samsung K8500 main menu).

I have heard, I don't remember where though it might have been Jim from Lumagen in one of the Radiance threads, that the active HDMI cables actually work OK under 6' because they have the equalization built in to make them look like 6' cables (which is basically what active cables do).
bigdogaxis likes this.
post #2304 of 9585 Old 12-12-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #2305 of 9585 Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can the AVM 60 do a phantom center (4.1)?
post #2306 of 9585 Old 12-12-2016, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp...ocessor-review

After months of waiting, the Audioholics review finally went live today. As much as I love gear reviews, I can't help by be suspicious of their rating system. While the review was glowing and gave high praise, in the end it still received 4 out of 5 stars for both multichannel and two channel audio. I'd be fine with that, except for the fact that they awarded both the Emotiva XMC-1 and the Yamaha CX-A5000 5 stars for multichannel and two channel audio. So the question is, is the reader supposed to give more credence to the verbal praise in the review, or the star rating? Giving the AVM 60 a lower star rating (for audio) than the Emotiva XMC-1 is pretty bold if you ask me.

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me" -Vizzini
post #2307 of 9585 Old 12-13-2016, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 59
what stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM View Post
...the Audioholics review finally went live today. .... So the question is, is the reader supposed to give more credence to the verbal praise in the review, or the star rating? ....
Reviewers and reviews also have their flaws, it's not only audio gear suffering from it. I rate that Audioholics Online Review Magazines article 3n1/2 stars out of five.
post #2308 of 9585 Old 12-13-2016, 05:03 AM

I've never heard Dirac, but their fanboys are vocal about their superiority over all other RC. Problem is, XMC-1 covers only 8 channels whilst AVM-60 corrects all 12 channels. Regardless, it is strange one would write stellar performance, then equate that with a 4/5 grade

post #2309 of 9585 Old 12-13-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2810 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Quote:
I've never heard Dirac, but their fanboys are vocal about their superiority over all other RC. Problem is, XMC-1 covers only 8 channels whilst AVM-60 corrects all 12 channels. Regardless, it is strange one would write stellar performance, then equate that with a 4/5 grade
I think the rating is based on the lack of features that were pointed out more than anything, relative to the price. Let's face it, the thing is comparatively overpriced at MSRP for what you get, in my VERY (?) humble opinion....
post #2310 of 9585 Old 12-13-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I agree with jonas. The dealer markup model doesn't help anthem sell processors. Although it may help them on the supply side.

If I paid anywhere near msrp I'd be disappointed. Arc is good but a time domain based correction like Dirac, audiolense, accurate is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page