The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4141Likes

post #2311 of 9524 Old 12-13-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad/Viper-Fan View Post
Excellent review, I've been waiting to see more reviews of this processor. I do agree with them that it is a slight touch on the warm side, I thought I was the only one that thought so. I honestly think you can't fully appreciate how good it sounds until you directly compare it to another processor like I did (Integra DHC-80.3) The difference was so much more obvious when directly compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I think the rating is based on the lack of features that were pointed out more than anything, relative to the price. Let's face it, the thing is comparatively overpriced at MSRP for what you get, in my VERY (?) humble opinion....
The lack of features doesn't bother me, it still does everything I want and then some. Sound was my top priority, and it looks like I made the right choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 9524 Old 12-13-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Excellent review, I've been waiting to see more reviews of this processor. I do agree with them that it is a slight touch on the warm side, I thought I was the only one that thought so. I honestly think you can't fully appreciate how good it sounds until you directly compare it to another processor like I did (Integra DHC-80.3) The difference was so much more obvious when directly compared.

The lack of features doesn't bother me, it still does everything I want and then some. Sound was my top priority, and it looks like I made the right choice.
Same here - SQ is #1 , only bought it for ARC knowing how bad my room is. Sure, AM tuner would have been nice, call me old school, as well as some analog XLR inputs, but can't always get what you want. But I can see how a lot of people would really question the price vs., all considered.
post #2313 of 9524 Old 12-13-2016, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
That doesn't guarantee it's not the cables, every HDMI device you insert into the chain has the potential to cause problems.

Have you checked the cables from the sources to the AVM? Are they at least 6 feet long?

Lumagen (and IIRC Anthem, specifically relating to the AVM50/D2) recommend having no cables shorter than 6 ft:
http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0019_...tes_091713.pdf
"Short HDMI cables that are 1 meter (3 feet) long can cause problems. Most HDMI transmitter chips have a built in equalizer circuit that boosts the signal level to compensate for losses in the cable. A cable that is too short, can deliver a signal that is too strong, and overwhelm the input of the HDMI receiver chip. If you have short HDMI cables and are experiencing intermittent problems, a longer cable can make a more reliable connection. It’s a good practice to use good quality generic HDMI cables that are a minimum length of 2 meters (6 foot) long. "
Thanks stranger,

I will try new longer cables.

Thanks for the Suggestion!!

David Ferebee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 9524 Old 12-13-2016, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM View Post
While the review was glowing and gave high praise, in the end it still received 4 out of 5 stars for both multichannel and two channel audio. I'd be fine with that, except for the fact that they awarded both the Emotiva XMC-1 and the Yamaha CX-A5000 5 stars for multichannel and two channel audio.
Three different reviews, three different reviewers, three different years published. That may play a part.

-tm
llang269 and bigdogaxis like this.
post #2315 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 206
  • New anthem ARC-2 Software v1.5.4872
  • New anthem MRX 1120/720/520/AVM60 Software Upgrade v67

http://www.anthemav.com/support/latest-software.php

The firmware filename indicates it's dated 14 December, and it loaded just fine on my MRX1120.

Firmware changelog:
Quote:
1. (AVM 60 and MRX 1120/720) Added dtsX decoding and Neural:X upmixing, including compatibility with Dolby Enabled upfiring speakers.

Info:

DTS:X dialog level control - this applies only to dtsX sources making use of the function. To raise or lower the level of the dialog (actor voices), use the PG/PR up/down buttons on the remote. The range is 0-6 dB, default 3 dB.

DTS Neural:X uses all speakers in a DTS:X system for an immersive audio experience, creating separation by placing sounds at different points in the sound field. This mode does not apply to DTS:X Master Audio, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby Digital Plus sources

DTS Neural:X setup (input setup menu) - When the source is a DTS stream, Direct mode plays the audio channels as they were recorded, whereas Non-Direct mode (default) adapts the audio to your speaker layout if it is different from the content creator’s.

2. Updated HDMI code library.

3. Improvements to CEC power-on.

4. Headphone downmix wasn't working properly - fixed.

5. Fix for odd input setup display when exactly 8 inputs were configured.

6. (AVM 60 and MRX 1120/720) If Dolby Volume was enabled before running ARC, height channels weren't producing test tones - fixed.

7. Fix for too many characters in IP feedback.

8. Removed Control4 ID Tx from setup menu.
ARC-2 Changes:
Quote:
1. Improved subwoofer cutoff frequency selection for cases with extreme response dips.

2. Fixed issue where ARC could crash if connection attempts were not acknowledged.

3. Graph range increased to 20 kHz, but note that as always measured result above 5 kHz is often unreliable.

4. Q range when loading certain older files adjusted for compatibility. If you are loading a file that was created quite a while ago, clicking Targets, Auto-Detect, OK, Calculate, Upload is recommended before uploading the file.

5. Changes related to in-development powered speakers which use ARC.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.

Last edited by Nugget; 12-16-2016 at 12:38 PM.
post #2316 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice! Thanks for the info, I gotta do this! I'm curious to see how the system measures up to 20 khz.
post #2317 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
WHOO HOO!!!!

I am anxious to try out the DTS Upmixer and watch Jason Bourne in DTS:X
post #2318 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
20kHz??? Dude! It's the long awaited DTS:X upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dwaleke and Blackdevil77 like this.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #2319 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
  • New anthem ARC-2 Software v1.5.4872
  • New anthem MRX 1120/720/520/AVM60 Software Upgrade v67

http://www.anthemav.com/support/latest-software.php

The firmware filename indicates it's dated 14 December, and it loaded just fine on my MRX1120.

Firmware changelog:

ARC-2 Changes:
I am curious. When you installed these firmware upgrades, did it effect your ARC settings at all? It would stink if all my current ARC settings were reset by installing the firmware.

Thank you in advance for your input.
post #2320 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
When you installed these firmware upgrades, did it effect your ARC settings at all?
I don't think Anthem makes any promises one way or the other, but this upgrade did not affect my ARC settings at all. I don't think it's safe to assume that future firmware updates will or will not do so.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #2321 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I don't think Anthem makes any promises one way or the other, but this upgrade did not affect my ARC settings at all. I don't think it's safe to assume that future firmware updates will or will not do so.
Thanks. I just don't have the ability to run ARC right now and would hate to lose my current calibration... I might hold off until I am closer to my next audio calibration, next month, before running the firmware upgrade for both the ARC and DTS:X.
post #2322 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Thanks. I just don't have the ability to run ARC right now and would hate to lose my current calibration... I might hold off until I am closer to my next audio calibration, next month, before running the firmware upgrade for both the ARC and DTS:X.

Updating the firmware will not alter any of your present calibrations.
Nor will updating the ARC software.

bpassman likes this.
post #2323 of 9524 Old 12-16-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
WHAAATTTT???

Holy smokes man, the way you were hammering for DTS:X, and then like, "yeah, I'll install it in the spring when I get around to it", lol.

I figured you'd have it installed ASAP.
post #2324 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
Updating the firmware will not alter any of your present calibrations.
Nor will updating the ARC software.

AWESOME! That is great news. Thank you for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
WHAAATTTT???

Holy smokes man, the way you were hammering for DTS:X, and then like, "yeah, I'll install it in the spring when I get around to it", lol.

I figured you'd have it installed ASAP.
All bark and no bite I guess....lol

I am excited and will be knocking out the upgrade later today.

Anyone else update the firmware yet? I am curious what settings need to be changed, if any, to select the DTS upmixer.
post #2325 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post
20kHz??? Dude! It's the long awaited DTS:X upgrade

Lol I don't have height channels, just the basic 5.2 set up. I can't join the party unfortunately, I have to get excited about 20kHz ARC graphs
muad'dib likes this.
post #2326 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AWESOME! That is great news. Thank you for the information.

All bark and no bite I guess....lol

I am excited and will be knocking out the upgrade later today.

Anyone else update the firmware yet? I am curious what settings need to be changed, if any, to select the DTS upmixer.
Haha! The smart women have figured us guys out. We never want what we can easily get nearly as much as we want what we can't get.

Edit: Literally right after I hit enter to post, "Makin' Whoopee" started playing on my Pandora jazz channel. What are the chances? Mind reader.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 12-17-2016 at 06:00 AM.
post #2327 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Updated new firmware last night and tested out the dts x format with zoolander 2 and gods of Egypt sounds great also watched the big short but the movie didnt really highlight the codec strenghts. But overall good so far but i did notice dts x sounds alot louder then compared dts hd master and not as suddle with effect more in your face which was interesting.
post #2328 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Wait - are you guys saying this firmware update has the DTS:X addition to it???
post #2329 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol I don't have height channels, just the basic 5.2 set up. I can't join the party unfortunately, I have to get excited about 20kHz ARC graphs
Yeah, it's nice to see the whole FR. Seeing it cut off was annoying.
post #2330 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cec

Have owned an AVM 60 for a week now, and finally have it setup. But I have a problem with CEC On.

Oppo BDP-103 connected to HDMI In 1. HDMI Out 1 connected to Panasonic ST60.

When I power on the TV, the Anthem powers on through CEC as desired.
When I power on the Oppo, the Anthem does not power on, neither does the TV, but CEC On is enabled.
With Oppo instead connected directly to the TV, CEC will power on the TV.
With Anthem Standby HDMI Bypass turned on, powering on the Oppo will power on the TV, but Anthem still does not power on.
Tried with firmware v62 and v67.

CEC Off works correctly. Powering off the TV will power off both the Anthem and Oppo as expected.
ARC works fine.

Am I missing something? I want the Anthem and TV to both power on if I power on the Oppo. This has worked fine two previous cheap Onkyo AVRs.
post #2331 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, it's nice to see the whole FR. Seeing it cut off was annoying.
Yes it is. And after looking at the whole graph, I'm guessing I must of just been used to boosted highs in the Integra or something. There doesn't seem to be any significant drop off that would cause things to sound "muffled" but for some reason when I allowed ARC to correct up to 5000hz, that's the way it sounded.

All the speakers seem to have that bump around 5kHz for some reason. I'm guessing that's a characteristic of the speaker rather than the room.

post #2332 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf866 View Post
Am I missing something?
NOPE

Welcome to the world of CEC where every manufacturer and device can implement it differently. If you got it to work previously consider your self very lucky. You should have played the lotto Working as an installer we run into CEC problems ALL the time. It is pretty common, and it not working correctly is a LOT more common than it working correctly. Typically, we end up turning off CEC on ALL devices and use a decent inexpensive universal remote. You can call Anthem and see if they have a solution but I wouldn't waste lot of time trying to make it work because you think it should work. You will be beating a dead horse. CEC is a poorly implemented part of HDMI.
post #2333 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf866 View Post
Have owned an AVM 60 for a week now, and finally have it setup. But I have a problem with CEC On.

Oppo BDP-103 connected to HDMI In 1. HDMI Out 1 connected to Panasonic ST60.

When I power on the TV, the Anthem powers on through CEC as desired.
When I power on the Oppo, the Anthem does not power on, neither does the TV, but CEC On is enabled.
With Oppo instead connected directly to the TV, CEC will power on the TV.
With Anthem Standby HDMI Bypass turned on, powering on the Oppo will power on the TV, but Anthem still does not power on.
Tried with firmware v62 and v67.

CEC Off works correctly. Powering off the TV will power off both the Anthem and Oppo as expected.
ARC works fine.

Am I missing something? I want the Anthem and TV to both power on if I power on the Oppo. This has worked fine two previous cheap Onkyo AVRs.
The firmware released yesterday includes a CEC fix...

EDIT: Sorry, never mind, just noticed you already gave that a shot.

Last edited by cvinfig; 12-17-2016 at 11:39 AM.
post #2334 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
NOPE

Welcome to the world of CEC where every manufacturer and device can implement it differently. If you got it to work previously consider your self very lucky. You should have played the lotto Working as an installer we run into CEC problems ALL the time. It is pretty common, and it not working correctly is a LOT more common than it working correctly. Typically, we end up turning off CEC on ALL devices and use a decent inexpensive universal remote. You can call Anthem and see if they have a solution but I wouldn't waste lot of time trying to make it work because you think it should work. You will be beating a dead horse. CEC is a poorly implemented part of HDMI.

Thanks, will call Anthem Monday, and not worry about it too much. I guess I was just lucky with the old Onkyo AVR.
post #2335 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it is. And after looking at the whole graph, I'm guessing I must of just been used to boosted highs in the Integra or something. There doesn't seem to be any significant drop off that would cause things to sound "muffled" but for some reason when I allowed ARC to correct up to 5000hz, that's the way it sounded.

All the speakers seem to have that bump around 5kHz for some reason. I'm guessing that's a characteristic of the speaker rather than the room.
Here's my last measurements. I've got a room dip at 150-500Hz that drives me nuts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 12-17.PNG
Views:	1291
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	1837897  
Blackdevil77 likes this.
post #2336 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here's my last measurements. I've got a room dip at 150-500Hz that drives me nuts.

That is remarkable, most of the graph you can't even see the purple "uncorrected" response because it's buried under the green line. I have similar dips between 100hz and 300hz. I tried playing with position as best I can but none of the small adjustments I was able to make made enough difference. My center speaker, being away from the corners, measures the flattest.
post #2337 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is remarkable, most of the graph you can't even see the purple "uncorrected" response because it's buried under the green line. I have similar dips between 100hz and 300hz. I tried playing with position as best I can but none of the small adjustments I was able to make made enough difference. My center speaker, being away from the corners, measures the flattest.
Yeah, I even see that room dip on my ceiling speakers!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 12-17-1.PNG
Views:	1246
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	1837953  
post #2338 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I even see that room dip on my ceiling speakers!
Those room modes can be very annoying. Thank God for room treatments and room correction. I could cure the severity of my dips, I would just have to put my left and right front speakers right in front of the screen and about a 2 feet away from the back wall. Hopefully nobody minds
post #2339 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those room modes can be very annoying. Thank God for room treatments and room correction. I could cure the severity of my dips, I would just have to put my left and right front speakers right in front of the screen and about a 2 feet away from the back wall. Hopefully nobody minds
Right. We're kind of stuck with the ceiling and surround speaker positions though, so room treatments and EQ are the only choices. I'm not really sure I like that dip corrected. Maybe a little, but not a full correction.
post #2340 of 9524 Old 12-17-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right. We're kind of stuck with the ceiling and surround speaker positions though, so room treatments and EQ are the only choices. I'm not really sure I like that dip corrected. Maybe a little, but not a full correction.
I don't think ARC fully flattens out my dips. If you look at my green corrected lines, there's still a little dip. I don't think ARC even bothers trying to flatten out those big dips completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
antehm arc genesis , anthem avm 60 , the official anthem avm60 thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page