Yamaha R-N301 vs R-N500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2015, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha R-N301 vs R-N500

I'm looking for a receiver that can stream Pandora as well as music from my computer. Ideally, this receiver would be able to support 4 pairs of 8ohm speakers (2 pairs on A and 2 pairs on B). I will be powering 1 pair of outdoor speakers and 3 pairs of in-ceiling speakers. I would likely never use all zones at the same time.

I've narrowed my search to the Yamaha R-N301 or Yamaha R-N500. Below are my questions:

1. How would I connect 4 pairs of 8-ohm speakers to either receiver (i.e. impedance matching volume switch)?
  2. Looks like the big difference is power (80watts x 2 vs 100watts x 2), is an additional $250 for the N500 worth the extra wattage?
  3. Are there alternatives? I already looked at the Sonos, but that's too pricey for what I'm looking for - I would have needed 3 Sonos Amps (i.e. $1500).
Thank you. MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-22-2015, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
bump. need help please
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2016, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is a year late but you had the power assignments backwards. The N301 has more wattage than the N500.
From what I've read on this forum the quality of the power is higher on the N500, if that makes sense.

What did you end up getting? I recently posted a thread trying to help me decided between these two also and got no responses. I don't think this forum bothers about "budget" units, even though $300 is a lot for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
This is a year late but you had the power assignments backwards. The N301 has more wattage than the N500.
From what I've read on this forum the quality of the power is higher on the N500, if that makes sense.

What did you end up getting? I recently posted a thread trying to help me decided between these two also and got no responses. I don't think this forum bothers about "budget" units, even though $300 is a lot for me.
About ready to make this decision myself. What did you end up doing?

Sony KDL-55W800C | Marantz SR5010 | HSU HB-1 MK2 | HSU VTF-1 MK2
KDL-55W800C Calibration (Updated 8/2016)
post #5 of 6 Old 06-09-2016, 09:10 AM

I got the R-N301.

In my instance my budget was $300. Amazon had the R-N301 new for that price and the R-N500 refurbished for the same price. Because I am out of the US the risk of getting a dead system has a big impact on me, it is very expensive to ship it back. I tried to see what the reliability of refurbished units were with no luck. Because of this I chose the new unit.

I am no audiophile and I'm driving regular (not high end) speakers, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, so the extra power quality in the R-N500 probably won't be missed.

Note, just because the R-N500 has a sub out does not mean it has "bass management", if like me, you thought that was the feature you wanted.

If I could have return a dead refurbished R-N500 in the event that happens I might have chosen this instead.

Note, I purchased from Crutchfield since they give lifetime support and had it for the same price.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderjahr View Post
About ready to make this decision myself. What did you end up doing?
Post what you decided and why. I'd be interested to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
pandora , streaming music , yamaha r-n301 , yamaha r-n500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page