The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101683Likes

post #3481 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
Just received a pair of the 5' cables. They have a sticker on the package that says "HDMI Premium Certified Cable--DAD CMT3046--www.HDMI.org". Fairly stiff cables, but nicely small connectors so I'm not having any problems with multiple Plugs on closely spaced HDMI connectors. I'm using these 18 Gbps-rated cables between my X3200W and the TV, and between the Blu-ray player (eventually to be 4K Blu-ray player) and the receiver. All the rest of my cables are the Monster "red or blue" cables bought on sales as none of these are likely to approach a speed of 18 Gbps. Picture attached. Anyone know of any other HDMI Premium Certified by HDMI.org yet?
The certification just came out a little while ago so I would expect you will see more and more "bargain" cables getting the cert over the next month or so. Really it was the HDMI.org's way of combatting cables that were supposed to be high speed but in reality didn't pass muster. The certification is the group's means of ensuring the specs are met.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
I would appreciate if anyone can chime in on whether their units, be it the x4200 upwards, periodically emit any noises or squeaks?

...the other is sound I do not know how to describe but it is not as annoying as the the first sound. Also it occurs a bit more often.

Also the remote is functional but insultingly cheap for its price point...

Best regards,
KvE

My X5200 surprised me by making a gentle click sound, like a small electrical relay, when I turned down the volume from a moderate/higher volume level. It bothered me for a moment, until I realized that it was the ECO:Auto function turning off un-needed capacity when volume is low. The sound of that relay is actually pleasing to me now as I have all the power when needed but waste less.

These remotes are not great but this isn't all bad. No matter what remote Denon included with the receiver, I would still use a real high quality programmable universal remote (URC MX-450). I'm glad I didn't pay more for Denon to include a better remote.
post #3483 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclejoe View Post
My X5200 surprised me by making a gentle click sound, like a small electrical relay, when I turned down the volume from a moderate/higher volume level. It bothered me for a moment, until I realized that it was the ECO:Auto function turning off un-needed capacity when volume is low. The sound of that relay is actually pleasing to me now as I have all the power when needed but waste less.
Thanks for that info. Every once and awhile I would hear a click from my S710W and wasn't sure what it was. I was beginning to worry about that. Nice to know what it is now and nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3484 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 2015 Denon AVR FAQ, Setup, and Troubleshooting Guide strikes again to help out. I've always had small bookshelf speakers for many years now (M&K K7's) coupled with a SVSubwoofer. I purchased three new LCR speakers along with a pair of matching Dolby Atmos front add on speakers and hooked them up yesterday ( Still waiting on the Atmos add on's in the mail though). The front L/R are floorstanding speakers and after running Audyssey I noticed in the Denon crossover menu that the left and right are set to "Full Band" and was grayed out. I wanted to set the crossover to at least 60 or 80hz to relieve the receiver of some of that bass load allowing the subwoofer to handle it but since it was grayed out I was confused at what to do. After looking through the FAQ today in the first few posts of this thread I found my solution. I had to go into the speaker size setting and change them from large to small. After that I could go into the crossover setting and change the main left and right speakers from 40hz up to 80hz. I'm smiling again. Thanks @jdsmoothie for all your assistance in this thread and on this forum.
post #3485 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Just received a pair of the 5' cables. They have a sticker on the package that says "HDMI Premium Certified Cable--DAD CMT3046--www.HDMI.org". Fairly stiff cables, but nicely small connectors so I'm not having any problems with multiple Plugs on closely spaced HDMI connectors. I'm using these 18 Gbps-rated cables between my X3200W and the TV, and between the Blu-ray player (eventually to be 4K Blu-ray player) and the receiver. All the rest of my cables are the Monster "red or blue" cables bought on sales as none of these are likely to approach a speed of 18 Gbps. Picture attached. Anyone know of any other HDMI Premium Certified by HDMI.org yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
The certification just came out a little while ago so I would expect you will see more and more "bargain" cables getting the cert over the next month or so. Really it was the HDMI.org's way of combatting cables that were supposed to be high speed but in reality didn't pass muster. The certification is the group's means of ensuring the specs are met.
I think I'll be waiting a just little bit for more certified cables to prop-up, hopefully some more budget priced. I'd really like some that are fairly flexible/manageable/thin and shorter that 5 ft for source to AVR interconnects.

I just got an email back from Monoprice tech support confirming that there slimline 18Gbps Redmere HDMI cables do not support 4:4:4 color. Bummer. They have the perfect length, diameter and flexibility for easy, clean cable routing. I'll use them in the meanwhile.
post #3486 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoD View Post
I think I'll be waiting a just little bit for more certified cables to prop-up, hopefully some more budget priced. I'd really like some that are fairly flexible/manageable/thin and shorter that 5 ft for source to AVR interconnects.
Doing the same, playing the waiting game. I'm sure monoprice among others will eventually get that Premium certification stamp of approval in the near future. Monoprice has for years been a great source for quality inexpensive cables. For the time being I don't need them, at least not until an UHD HDR Blu-ray player comes out.
OrlandoD likes this.
post #3487 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have the 4200. Very pleased with it.

HOWEVER, I can't get the remote to control my comcast box. I'm sure people in this forum are using the Denon remote to control comcast box. If so, what IR code did you use? The codes listed on the Denon guide did not work.

Help?!
post #3488 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have the 4200. Very pleased with it.

HOWEVER, I can't get the remote to control my comcast box. I'm sure people in this forum are using the Denon remote to control comcast box. If so, what IR code did you use? The codes listed on the Denon guide did not work.

Help?!
post #3489 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 702 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22017 Post(s)
Liked: 11940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
The 2015 Denon AVR FAQ, Setup, and Troubleshooting Guide strikes again to help out. I've always had small bookshelf speakers for many years now (M&K K7's) coupled with a SVSubwoofer. I purchased three new LCR speakers along with a pair of matching Dolby Atmos front add on speakers and hooked them up yesterday ( Still waiting on the Atmos add on's in the mail though). The front L/R are floorstanding speakers and after running Audyssey I noticed in the Denon crossover menu that the left and right are set to "Full Band" and was grayed out. I wanted to set the crossover to at least 60 or 80hz to relieve the receiver of some of that bass load allowing the subwoofer to handle it but since it was grayed out I was confused at what to do. After looking through the FAQ today in the first few posts of this thread I found my solution. I had to go into the speaker size setting and change them from large to small. After that I could go into the crossover setting and change the main left and right speakers from 40hz up to 80hz. I'm smiling again. Thanks @jdsmoothie for all your assistance in this thread and on this forum.
Thanks. Glad to assist.
post #3490 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:

I just got an email back from Monoprice tech support confirming that there slimline 18Gbps Redmere HDMI cables do not support 4:4:4 color. Bummer. They have the perfect length, diameter and flexibility for easy, clean cable routing. I'll use them in the meanwhile.
Then they are not 18 gbps cables.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #3491 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I don't need any certification. My KD Pros are flawless at 4K/60 4:4:4, DTS-HD, Dolby True Atmos. Absolutely no loss of sync. 15ft. from PC to AVR. 10ft from AVR to 4K TV. I'd recommend anyone that needs a budget cable that works. Don't go over 20ft for 4K/60 though. They are a little stiff.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8A4HU

In case anyone is wondering if the MDK's work at 4K/60. Nope
http://monitordetectkiller.com/
bluemoon737 and OrlandoD like this.
post #3492 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Exactly - false advertising and I should be fighting to get my money back. Luckily, I just refunded 'em from Amazon. But Amazon shouldn't have to deal with this mess that Monoprice started.

They're either 18Gbps or they aren't. If they don't handle 4:4:4 color, they aren't.

Again, the MediaBridge Flex series 6ft/10ft pass 4:4:4 perfectly. These are super thin/flexible cables that WORK. Known, proven results. No certification needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-FL...ies+hdmi+cable

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-FL...ies+hdmi+cable
bluemoon737 likes this.

HTPC | NAS | Harmony Elite | DENON X4200W | Sony XBR75X940D
Philips BDP7501 | Klipsch RF7II, RC64II, CDT5650CII | SVS SB2000 x2
post #3493 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Probably not, but they advertise them as such.
post #3494 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
I don't need any certification. My KD Pros are flawless at 4K/60 4:4:4, DTS-HD, Dolby True Atmos. Absolutely no loss of sync. 15ft. from PC to AVR. 10ft from AVR to 4K TV. I'd recommend anyone that needs a budget cable that works. Don't go over 20ft for 4K/60 though. They are a little stiff.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8A4HU
And they're offered in 3 ft lengths and are said to be flexible, nice.

Are you sure they do Chroma 4:4:4? None of the Amazon reviews had successful Chroma 4:4:4 results. Just wondering.
post #3495 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
And they're offered in 3 ft lengths and are said to be flexible, nice.

Are you sure they do Chroma 4:4:4? None of the Amazon reviews had successful Chroma 4:4:4 results. Just wondering.
100% for 444 4K/60
They are not that stiff. IDK how to describe them other than a little stiff.
OrlandoD likes this.
post #3496 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
100% for 444 4K/60
Great news. Thx
post #3497 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
100% for 444 4K/60
Great news. Thx
post #3498 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got my x6200w a couple of days ago (thanks jdsmoothie) and haven't really spent much time configuring yet. One question I have concerns the subwoofer. I have an older Infinity Interlude sub that uses the RABOS (room adaptive bass optimization system). It was tuned using my last receiver, a Denon 3312CI. Should I leave the settings on the sub alone? If not, should the RABOS kit be used before or after running Audyssey?
post #3499 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just setup a new X2200 to replace my Onkyo 707 (sound failed). Setup is 5.1 with Athena Pt 5 speakers, which I may upgrade in the near future.

First impressions are positive - just a little overwhelmed with all the setup. I also think my ears were so accustomed to the Onkyo sound (5+ years) - the output was reference sound to my untrained ears. Initial sound feedback of X2200 appears more tinny than the Onkyo, which perhaps was just more heavy. The more I listen, the more I start to find the tinny sound a little more refined.

Ran Audyssey across 8 positions. My speakers came back at 120Hz crossover (I used to run 80Hz on Onkyo). The distance calibration worked well. I've since amended the crossover to 80hz. Strangely (through ABC) I suddenly went from a tinny sound to a lot of bass (girlfriend was not impressed!). I've adjusted the level setting of the sub to -10, a little lower than where it was calibrated. I also turned the dial down on the sub itself, which after reading is not the optimal way with Audyssey. However, with the sub being calibrated so low on level, the only way to reduce was through the dial itself.

All in all, its coming together. I think its getting comfortable with the differences for now. My main issues right now are the following:

1) I wish the display could show more for the input name. For example, I renamed CBL/SAT to DIRECTV. When on the source, the display shows "DD + DDS DIREC" - it cuts off the end of the name. I would prefer the full name showed. Same for "XBOX ONE", which appears as "XBOX O". Solution is abbreviated names - not my favorite.

2) Volume changing with the remote. It barely changes, or it moves so quickly you go from quiet to too loud. Also, the IR on the remote is not very responsive compared to other IR devices I use (thinking of switching to a Harmony, although that may not solve the slow/raipd volume change).

3) Still considering the X4200 (if it were to drop a little on sale). Just feel the X2200 is a little light - probably more in my head. I need to crank it up when the GF is out.

Any feedback or guidance is appreciated. I've read, and continue to read posts 1-8 on this thread to recommendations too.
post #3500 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I don't think I'll ever find an HDMI Premium Certified cable at 50 feet.

Interesting the BJC certified cables are 28 AWG, and not their 23.5 AWG Series 1.

I guess I'll be switching to an HDMI extender at some point. In the mean time, I'll take a shot with the 23.5 AWG BJC Series 1, made with the Belden cable.
post #3501 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I don't think I'll ever find an HDMI Premium Certified cable at 50 feet.

Interesting the BJC certified cables are 28 AWG, and not their 23.5 AWG Series 1.

I guess I'll be switching to an HDMI extender at some point. In the mean time, I'll take a shot with the 23.5 AWG BJC Series 1, made with the Belden cable.
Maybe not yet but I'd bet in the coming months they'll start to appear.

I wonder if Redmere cables at those lengths actually are useful, or at least the next best thing. Of course it's not certified since aside from the BJC, I don't think there are any others yet.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #3502 of 17512 Old 12-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I have just received the X1200W. Amazing value AVR. I was rather confused about the use of Dolby ProLogic for PCM audio. Which according to the OP posting is Dolby ProLogic upmxing. There doesn't seem to be a separate Movie and Music mode. I can't tell any difference on the Movie and Music buttons anyhow.

There is very little info about upmixing mode that I can find and how it works. Especially for music.

On a different tack. Whenever I run through the Audyssey mic setup it says my left surround speaker is out of phase (It's not) and I have to click through ignore. Does anyone have any idea why? Surprisingly switching the positive and negative 'sometimes' made it not detect a phase error (but not always). Could this be due to objects in the room? I have a lot of clutter unfortunately.

Last edited by Dick Emery; 12-10-2015 at 11:46 PM.
post #3503 of 17512 Old 12-11-2015, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I wish D&M would partner with BJC, and develop a certification program.

The owner of BJC is really on the ball, for participating in this Premium HDMI certification program early. He's the only one on the list who isn't a Chinese or other multinational company.

The partnership could allow a guarantee that this cable, at this length, works with this AVR. Fewer headaches for D&M. Recruit a display manufacturer (Sony seems to have few HDMI problems) and that's a winning combo.
post #3504 of 17512 Old 12-11-2015, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
I have just received the X1200W. Amazing value AVR. I was rather confused about the use of Dolby ProLogic for PCM audio. Which according to the OP posting is Dolby ProLogic upmxing. There doesn't seem to be a separate Movie and Music mode. I can't tell any difference on the Movie and Music buttons anyhow.
It's not Pro Logic. It's Dolby Surround which is a brand new upmixer which has replaced PL.

You are correct that there isn't a separate movie vs music mode as there was with PL. The only parameter you can adjust is the "center spread" option. But that has no relation to the buttons labeled "movie" and "music" on the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
On a different tack. Whenever I run through the Audyssey mic setup it says my left surround speaker is out of phase (It's not) and I have to click through ignore. Does anyone have any idea why? Surprisingly switching the positive and negative 'sometimes' made it not detect a phase error (but not always). Could this be due to objects in the room? I have a lot of clutter unfortunately.
If you haven't yet take a look at the Audyssey101/FAQ which covers a lot of issues like this. Bottom line is "false positive" phase errors are fairly common, due to speaker placement, design and/or room acoustics. If you confirm the wiring is correct you can just ignore the error.
post #3505 of 17512 Old 12-11-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

KD Pro, Monoprice nor Mediabridge are certified 2.0 yet according to HDMI.org. BJC are certified 2.0 though.

Monoprice & Mediabridge
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/a...ounders.aspx#M

KD Pro (KabelDirekt) isn't even on the adopters list.
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/a...ounders.aspx#K

BJC certified 2.0
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/a...ounders.aspx#B

I'm not saying that any of the Monoprice, Mediabridge or KD Pro's do not meet the standards required to be certified. I'm just pointing out that they are not on the list of certified adopters marked as HDMI 2.0.
mcstephen likes this.

Last edited by Daryl L; 12-11-2015 at 08:02 AM.
post #3506 of 17512 Old 12-11-2015, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 702 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22017 Post(s)
Liked: 11940
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgschoc View Post
Got my x6200w a couple of days ago (thanks jdsmoothie) and haven't really spent much time configuring yet. One question I have concerns the subwoofer. I have an older Infinity Interlude sub that uses the RABOS (room adaptive bass optimization system). It was tuned using my last receiver, a Denon 3312CI. Should I leave the settings on the sub alone? If not, should the RABOS kit be used before or after running Audyssey?
If the physical location of the sub has not changed since adding the new X6200W, you can leave the current settings as is and just run Audyssey again. If you do want to use the RABOS kit again, do it before running Audyssey.
post #3507 of 17512 Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I wish D&M would partner with BJC, and develop a certification program.

The owner of BJC is really on the ball, for participating in this Premium HDMI certification program early. He's the only one on the list who isn't a Chinese or other multinational company.

The partnership could allow a guarantee that this cable, at this length, works with this AVR. Fewer headaches for D&M. Recruit a display manufacturer (Sony seems to have few HDMI problems) and that's a winning combo.
The good thing about "certification" is that we wouldn't have to rely on user feedback, such as we are getting from AVS forum. I was happy to give my business to BJC, just because they are stepping up to the plate, even if they cost a little more. As others have observed, it's only the 4K Blu-ray(or HTPC) to AVR and AVR to display (if the AVR is HDMI 2.0a compliant) that require this level of performance, now.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC top front, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #3508 of 17512 Old 12-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I was happy to give my business to BJC, just because they are stepping up to the plate, even if they cost a little more.
I was looking to get my HDMI and CAT6/7 cables from BJC but the price is 3-5x more than anything on Amazon and shipping is extra. That's more than just a little for short runs and I feel as though I am making a donation to help BJC. If that is what it takes to help America compete then I will do my part but feel as though there should be an AVS discount coupon code or group buy promotion. My Denon arrived yesterday so I can't wait, but maybe it will be a good promo for others in the future.
post #3509 of 17512 Old 12-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
...I've adjusted the level setting of the sub to -10, a little lower than where it was calibrated. I also turned the dial down on the sub itself, which after reading is not the optimal way with Audyssey. However, with the sub being calibrated so low on level, the only way to reduce was through the dial itself...
If you changed the volume dial on the subwoofer itself after running Audyssey, you should re-run Audyssey to properly set the subwoofer level. Otherwise, you don't know how much your subwoofer level is relative to the reference level.

As mentioned before, you can just run the Audyssey setup from one mic position to set the subwoofer level first (You need to run through the first 3 mic position procedures before you can SAVE and review the setting info) before running the entire Audyssey setup. Since it sounds like you want the final subwoofer level lower than reference, you should target the Audyssey subwoofer trim to something close to zero to give you -12 db of adjustment range.

============================
Grouchy Golf

Last edited by maveric23; 12-11-2015 at 01:38 PM.
post #3510 of 17512 Old 12-11-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 166
can any of you tell me what video scaler is in the x series. i see no mention of it on the denon website. thanks...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page