The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101761Likes

post #4801 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23206 Post(s)
Liked: 12732
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-j View Post
I currently have SL and SR assigned to zone2 and drive a pair of speakers of off those outputs. Is the zone2 pre-out also active at the same time? What I would like to do is to continue to use my X2200W to directly drive one pair of zone2 speakers, but also connect the zone2 pre-out connection to an amplifier to run more speakers in my basement.
That would be SBL/SBR assigned to Zone 2, but yes, the Zone 2 pre-outs are also active so you can connect to an external amp to drive another set of speakers if you choose.
jim-j likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
@Nalleh in the Dolby Atmos forum describes how he had obtained 9.2.6 Atmos by chaining two AVR's. My intrepretation: one X6200W with speaker assignments for 9.2.2 with an external amp for Top middle. Aux HDMI out to the input of an W4200W. Use only the Front and rear height outputs with an external amp of the X4200W. Nalleh observes that the over heads of one receiver do not know about the overheads on the other receiver, so there is room for loss of discreteness in the overhead objects, but he says it isn't readily noticable. I'm particularly interested if @jdsmoothie sees any downside to this
Nope ... in fact good work around until a single AVR can do the same thing.
Ted99 likes this.
post #4803 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I tried all buttons (Pure, Movie, Game, etc) and there is no Dolby Surround option. This is a blu-ray I've played before on my old amp in prologic no probs, but I'll try another source to confirm. Again I have to iterate that there were no issues with the HDMI leads on my Denon AVR 2310. It's only this new amp that has flickering problems and this weird green tint when the dynamic range is set to full on my projector. I just find it hard to believe this could be a HDMI issue when there were no problems before switching to the new amp.
You may need to "cycle through" using the Movie button until you get DS

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | 2019 Shield | PS4 Pro | Roku P+ (4630)
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Gemini Man and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4804 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
J.D.--That solved my problem. Thanks. Since my electronic copy of the Owner's Manual did not seem to include this, I did a search. Here is the code number table I found for the X6200w.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6200W/p...resetCodes.pdf

I don't know if the manual for the X7200WA includes numbers or not. If not, here is a listing I found for that model.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX7200W/p...resetCodes.pdf

Once again-thanks for your response. It certainly helped!

Great find!! Thanks for posting these.
post #4805 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
JD, now that UHD BD players are about to hit the market, do we have any idea when the HDMI 2.0a firmware will be released (or has it been released)? That will be required to passthrough HDR metadata is my understanding.
No word yet if any firmware will in fact even be required (as the hardware is there already), however, if it is not likely to be released until after all the DTS:X firmware updates have been released (ie. spring).
post #4806 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsj83 View Post
Question about speaker configuration with newly acquired avr-x4200w. I hope this is the correct thread to use.

I have an existing in wall 7 speaker set up which was acquired from the prior homeowner and changing it is not an option. There are are Front LRC as well as Surround LR on the ceiling slightly in front of the couch and Surround Rear L/R directly behind the couch.

My question is am I better off using the ceiling speakers as Surrounds with the rears speakers as Rear Surrounds or the ceiling speakers as Height with the rear speakers as Surround. The majority of the content I will be watching is Blurays in 5.1/7.1 and occasionally in Atmos when available as well as live tv, mostly network dramas and sports. Will the height speakers still be used with non atmos content?

Only you can decide which you prefer better. Try each configuration for awhile and decide which you prefer.
post #4807 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcr View Post
I have a 4200w which I recently purchased and have a question about the Audyssey settings. I have run the tests and it has stored the results.

Like most, the sub woofer appears to be set too low. My front main speakers are set as large, and normally I set these to small and let the sub woofer handle the low frequencies.

With my previous receivers (Onkyo/Pioneer) you could 'tweak' the settings even after calibration which kept reflection settings etc. but allowed adjustments to individual speaker settings.

Now, I have read that can be done in the 4200w, 'using the GUI'. I assume I have missed something, but I cannot see how I change the settings - except through the manual setup. If I do change the settings and then listen through the manual setup it is not as good as the Audyssey settings.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Changing settings in MANUAL SETUP only refers to changing settings like (LARGE/SMALL, crossover, volume, distance) which have no impact on the actual Audyssey EQ that has been performed. If however, you set Audyssey to OFF and use the GRAPHIC EQ, you are no longer using Audyssey and it will indeed sound different.
post #4808 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
I returned my X2200 for an X3200 that only cost me and additional $100. I expected them to sound identical, especially using the same 8pt calibration procedure and mic placements, but the X3200 sounds warmer at all MV levels.

We - my wife, my daughter and myself - watched Avatar tonight at -5db and it sounded great. My wife and I watched it a couple of weeks ago with the X2200, and I couldn't go any louder than -12db without my wife saying it was just too loud........... Weird.

The volume trims are all +/- .05db between the X3200 and X2200. The distances on the mains all came back the exact same, and the sub was only .2ft further on the 3200 than the 2200. The speakers sizes and X-overs were all changed by me, and the exact same between the two AVRs.

I'm pretty OCD regarding the 8pt calibration procedure, as the exact same speaker distance measurements on the main speakers prove, so I'm not sure why the difference in sound quality, but I'm not complaining one bit! I didn't expect there to be any improvement in sound betweeen the two AVRs, but damn, I'm glad there is and I would've paid a lot more than $100 for it.
It is quite possible that the 3200s supplied Audyssey mic has something to do with your findings. I have 3 of the same Audyssey mics (one that came with an X4000, one from a 4100 and one from a 4200) and I noticed that the results I get with the X4100's supplied mic just consistently sounds better when used with the 4100 or the 4200. The final results always end up warmer and with more full sounding bass overall. I can also crank the volume more without it hurting my ears. I use this one mic with both AVRs now.

Just a thought!

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #4809 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtoh View Post
Hi,
who knows why I get no sound from CD in when my TV is off
I hook up my CD with an optical cable
So odd and annoying
I dont want to keep my TV on while listening to CD
If the CD is connected to the AVR with an optical cable, the TV should not have to be on, however, if you were previously playing an HDMI source, you may have to power off and power back on the AVR again.
post #4810 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorlizard View Post
in regards to air flow, it has 12-14 inches clear above it and 5-6 inches clear on the sides and rear.

In regards to the subwoofer issue, Apparently the individual at accessories4less had no idea of what they were speaking. I spoke to Denon rep this afternoon via phone. He stated that because the subwoofer output is a pre-out, adding a powered sub would do nothing to help pull power requirements away from the unit. I should also add that the unit shut down last night after a little less than an hour of music, as has been normal, but this time the smell of burning plastic accompanied it. When I approached the unit, the smell got stronger but I was unable to verify the source and did not see any smoke.

After speaking to Denon, I called accessories4less and spoke to an individual who, before mentioning that I had called Denon, agreed that it sounded like there was a problem with the unit and suggested that I begin the return process on their website. Although the unit is a couple of days past their unofficial holiday return deadline of 45 days, he stated that he would "push it through."

While all of that sounds great, I am pretty concerned after reading the full text of their return policy and am curious about other folks experiences with them. Before ordering the unit, I had read a couple of nice reviews about them on these forums (although I should have read the return policy more closely because I probably would not have done business with them). The policy states that they will charge for things such as plastic bags, etc. Do they really do that? While I still have all of the pertinent items (cables, manuals, etc.) I'm pretty sure I threw out the plastic bag that the receiver was wrapped in. Is that really going to cost me? Without going into ALL of my concerns one-by-one, how trustworthy are they?

In actuality, it was the first AC4L rep who told you correctly, however, you'll generally always get much better advice here on AVSForum.
post #4811 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9V7W3 View Post
Hey I just wanted to make a note in case anyone else gets confused like I was. I finally figured everything out as far as being able to use ONLY pre outputs for my 5.2.4 setup with the X4200W after a little more trial and error.

While what you said is correct about the height 1 pre output using the same assignment as the height one speaker posts but at the same time the pre output is not always active. After setting my amp assign to 9.1 and setting my number of height channels to 4 and specifying top front and top rear it showed on screen that I was only using pre outputs for top rear but I assumed that since height one was assigned to top front that the height 1 pre outputs would be active anyway based on what you said. I went to the manual level set menu and while I was able to adjust the level for height one and height two I was only hearing the test tone out of height two, the pre outputs for height one were still not active.

I ended up going back to the assignment menu and checked the "pre out" drop down menu but it still was only letting me set the top rear for pre output, not both top front and top rear. I found another drop down menu that I decided to play with that I didn't think would be relevant to the problem I was having that lets you chose layouts between "5 CH," "5CH + SB," "5CH + FW," and "5CH + FW + SB." With this option set on just "5CH" it only lets you route 1 pair of the height outputs to pre outputs, height two. As soon as I changed this option to either "5CH + SB" or "5CH + FW" all of a sudden in the pre output selector I was finally able to select "Top front + Top Rear" and the word "pre" showed up next to all 4 of my ceiling speakers on the image to the right.
I confirmed then in the level set menu with tones again that the height 1 pre outputs were actually active.

This doesn't really make sense to me, but it worked. In my setup im not using front wide or surround back speakers (5.2.4) so it sort of bothers me that I had to select that in order to make the height one pre outs active. When I ran Audyssey after I guess the AVR realized I didn't have any surround back speakers connected and just greyed that option out now in the level set menu but it still there. All speakers are working now and sound great but it still bothers me that you can't select pre outputs for all 4 ceiling speakers unless you make SB or FW active and that it adds a dummy slider to the level set menu if you're not actually using either of those. I'm even on the fence now about adding SB speakers or FW speakers just to make all my available options active haha, but I'm not sure logistically I can in my room. Oh well, maybe they will change this in future updates...
Not sure why you're having difficulty, as I just confirmed on my X6200W that with the AMP ASSIGN pre-out configuration set to Height 2 only using either 5.1, or 5.1+FW+SB, I can also pass a test tone via the Height 1 pre-outs as well. Note that the "Pre-out" setting in the AMP ASSIGN only defines which pre-outs are being used to expand the AVR by 2 additional channels (X4200W - 7CH --> 9CH; X6200W/X7200WA - 9CH --> 11CH). If you so choose, you can use any of these models as pure pre/pros using nothing but pre-outs to external amps and no on board amps being used at all. It's possible (but not likely) that this might be an issue with the X4200W only, so perhaps another X4200W owner could check this out as well?
post #4812 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Well, I am at a loss. I got my denon x2200w in the mail today and its not good. Amazon shipped the unit out in the original box, but with no styrofoam. The box is 21x21x11, the unit itself is 14x17x7. It was just slamming around in the box. Pieces are broken off of it, the antenna is snapped off, and the back panel of the unit is smashed in. Just at a loss for words. I have never received something like this from amazon. Here is a picture of the antenna. Nothing like having a 25lb brick just slamming around.

Sub build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub - Dual UXL'18 enclosures,iNuke6000dsp
post #4813 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No word yet if any firmware will in fact even be required (as the hardware is there already), however, if it is not likely to be released until after all the DTS:X firmware updates have been released (ie. spring).

I only asked because I think a while back the question was raised and I thought the response was that it was unknown. Based upon the info on the various websites it at least implies that 2.0a is already present. That certainly is possible based upon when these receivers (all of the major brands) were released in comparison to the TVs that did require the firmware update (the TVs out much earlier in the year). Thanks again!

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #4814 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Well, I am at a loss. I got my denon x2200w in the mail today and its not good. Amazon shipped the unit out in the original box, but with no styrofoam. The box is 21x21x11, the unit itself is 14x17x7. It was just slamming around in the box. Pieces are broken off of it, the antenna is snapped off, and the back panel of the unit is smashed in. Just at a loss for words. I have never received something like this from amazon. Here is a picture of the antenna. Nothing like having a 25lb brick just slamming around.
If this was a brand new unit, the antenna's would not have been attached, rather simply placed in a small plastic bag. Even if used, this should not have been shipped with the antenna's installed. Very foolish.

Send it back and call us at AVS for a brand new unit, packed in the OEM box with styrofoam, and double boxed too boot with full 3 year warranty!

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-20-2016 at 01:25 PM.
post #4815 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I tried all buttons (Pure, Movie, Game, etc) and there is no Dolby Surround option. This is a blu-ray I've played before on my old amp in prologic no probs, but I'll try another source to confirm. Again I have to iterate that there were no issues with the HDMI leads on my Denon AVR 2310. It's only this new amp that has flickering problems and this weird green tint when the dynamic range is set to full on my projector. I just find it hard to believe this could be a HDMI issue when there were no problems before switching to the new amp.
What BD title is this? (so others can check for a similar problem with it)

What audio encoding is being used for the soundtrack on the disc? Dolby? DTS? PCM?

Remember that 2015 D+M AVRs and pre/pros cannot apply Dolby Surround upmixing to DTS-HD MA soundtracks. Such soundtracks have to be converted to PCM in the player if you want to apply Dolby Surround to them.

In general, the various reports of HDMI problems for 2015 models seem to suggest that the new HDMI chipset does not output as strong a signal as previous generations of HDMI chipsets did. As a result, you need to use a higher quality cable to avoid attenuating the signal too much. By that, I mean you have to use a cable made with thicker wires, not an absurdly expensive "boutique" cable. A cable bearing the new "HDMI Premium" tag might be appropriate or maybe one of Monoprice's Redmere active cables, especially if the cable is longer than 25 ft.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #4816 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
It is quite possible that the 3200s supplied Audyssey mic has something to do with your findings. I have 3 of the same Audyssey mics (one that came with an X4000, one from a 4100 and one from a 4200) and I noticed that the results I get with the X4100's supplied mic just consistently sounds better when used with the 4100 or the 4200. The final results always end up warmer and with more full sounding bass overall. I can also crank the volume more without it hurting my ears. I use this one mic with both AVRs now.

Just a thought!
Interesting! Thanks for that, and whatever the reason, I'm a happy guy.
post #4817 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
or maybe one of Monoprice's Redmere active cables, especially if the cable is longer than 25 ft.
I'd be cautious with Monoprice's Redmere cables. I've had past issues with them, funky behavior. Maybe try a quality HDMI like from Blue Jeans if the run isn't too long.
post #4818 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks for the response. I have been through the manual setup. Are you saying that the changes in the manual setup feed through to the Audyssey Reference sound parameters, as when I look at what is stored, it doesn't appear to be the case.

Ideal if it is though

Thanks
Yes, when you go into the settings as I described... that allows you to tweak the settings that Audyssey created.
post #4819 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 5000 Post(s)
Liked: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
I returned my X2200 for an X3200 that only cost me and additional $100. I expected them to sound identical, especially using the same 8pt calibration procedure and mic placements, but the X3200 sounds warmer at all MV levels.

We - my wife, my daughter and myself - watched Avatar tonight at -5db and it sounded great. My wife and I watched it a couple of weeks ago with the X2200, and I couldn't go any louder than -12db without my wife saying it was just too loud........... Weird.

The volume trims are all +/- .05db between the X3200 and X2200. The distances on the mains all came back the exact same, and the sub was only .2ft further on the 3200 than the 2200. The speakers sizes and X-overs were all changed by me, and the exact same between the two AVRs.

I'm pretty OCD regarding the 8pt calibration procedure, as the exact same speaker distance measurements on the main speakers prove, so I'm not sure why the difference in sound quality, but I'm not complaining one bit! I didn't expect there to be any improvement in sound betweeen the two AVRs, but damn, I'm glad there is and I would've paid a lot more than $100 for it.
Two thoughts:

1. Already mentioned, but mic-to-mic variability is a real issue. Audyssey specs their mics at +/-2dB but anecdotally there are many reports of wide variations, and also of course there are defective mics where the capsule has degraded to to heat and/or humidity that could affect part of the freq range. A mic that caused the calibration to emphasize the highs a bit more may sound "harsher" as the volume goes up, and the mic you got with the 3200 may have reduced highs thus the "warmer" sound and ability to push it a bit louder.

2. The 3200 is fundamentally different from the lower level models in terms of having a larger chassis and different amplifier topology (closer to the 4200 than to the lower level models). Although the 8-ohm on-paper specs don't really show it, if you look at bench tests of prior models the higher level units tend to perform better, especially in 4-ohm tests, indicating a greater capacity for sustaining current with tougher speakers. So, if your speakers are on the moderately difficult side (either medium sensitivity or low impedance) at that ~10dB below reference point you could have been hitting the limits of the 2200 amps gained a few dB of extra clean headroom on the 3200.

Remember distortion makes things sound "louder", so between mic variability and the ability to sustain a little more current without going into clipping, that could explain the difference.
D Bone and GunmetalR56 like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4820 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsj83 View Post
After thinking about this overnight it would be possible to add more speakers the ceiling. One option is to get something like this http://www.htd.com/Products/high-def...iling-speakers and put it to the sides of the existing in ceiling surround and angle them toward the couch. This would basically create the pretty sweet 7.1.2 arrangement you suggest. Do you think that solves the problem? If so does it also make sense the throw a pair in the front a front heights for 7.1.4 as long as I'm pulling more cable anyway?
Well, you've got a lot of options...

First, if you stick to your current arrangement, I agree with JD that you should try it both ways and see but my gut feeling is that you will be happiest with a 5.1.2 setup, using the in-walls as Surround and the in-ceilings as Top Middle. I think it may be a little weird with 7.1 to have sounds panning through different "levels", jumping to the ceilings for the "side surrounds" and then dropping down to a lower level behind you. With a 5.1.2 designation, then you at least have clear separation between ear-level sounds and overhead sounds.

Now, if you add more speakers... although not ideal, if you are able to place speakers in/on the ceiling and push them out wide enough to drop their effective elevation angle, then it could definitely work. And of course, adding even more speakers is more better but note that your X4200W only supports 9 channels max, so you'd have to upgrade your receiver also to go whole hog to 7.1.4.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4821 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
reAVR X6200W questions...

Gentlemen all ,
I'm very near making the decision to upgrade to the Denon AVR-X6200W and I'm trying to wrap my head around all the Speaker Options .
I've read the first dozen pages in this thread and also all of the Manual and I still can't find the answers I need so here goes...
I currently have a 7.1 system with dual Surround Back speakers .
I will add a pair of overhead Speakers as Top Front Speakers , TFL &TFR .
These will be assigned through the Height1 Connections and Setup ? Correct ?

Will I be able to add a second overhead Speaker Pair and use the Front Height 2 Connections to assign these ?

When I play a soundtrack with 7.1 Surround will this over-ride any setting I have for the Surround Back Speakers ?

I get the impression that the Denon will figure all of this out depending on the Source Signal which is an amazing feat . If so , I'm sold !

Thanks in advance ,

Scott.....................................
TheCableMan likes this.

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #4822 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post
I will add a pair of overhead Speakers as Top Front Speakers , TFL &TFR .
These will be assigned through the Height1 Connections and Setup ? Correct ?
Correct, the forward pair of heights is connected to "Height1".

Quote:
Will I be able to add a second overhead Speaker Pair and use the Front Height 2 Connections to assign these ?
Yes, the rearward pair of heights is connected to "Height2". However, there are a few caveats you need to be aware of:

1. The 6200 has 9 amps built in, so to go to 11 channels (7.1.4) you need to add at least 2ch of external amplification
2. By default, the "Wide/Height2" speakers posts are assigned to the Front Wide speakers, so you have to change a setting to remap them to the Height2 speakers if you want to use the internal amps for all four heights. Then, as per #1 above, you have to change the "pre-out" setting to let the receiver know that the external amp is being used elsewhere.

Alternately, if you just get a small 2ch external amp for the Top Rears (Height2), you can leave the settings at default and you will feed the external amp from the Height2 pre-outs via RCA cables.

Quote:
When I play a soundtrack with 7.1 Surround will this over-ride any setting I have for the Surround Back Speakers ?
I don't understand the question. But a 7.1 track will play -- at your choice -- either in "native" 7.1 with silent height speakers, or you can apply upmixing to engage the height speakers and mix up to 7.1.4 output.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4823 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated. Very helpful.
post #4824 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker popping when switching TivoHD tuners

I recently upgraded from a venerable HK AVR-254 to an AVR-X1200W. Install went smooth as could be and everything sounds great and I love the receiver.

One problem, though - my primary input is a dual-tuner TivoHD that I've had since 2008, and when I switch tuners (as I do often, especially while watching sports), I get a "popping" from the subwoofer and a crackle from the right front speaker about 80% of the time.

If it matters, the TV is a Samsung LN64A, which is also very old - approximately the same age as the TivoHD. Both of these components are due for an upgrade but not for a couple of months (hoping against hope that the LG OLED 4k TVs drop in price ). The front speakers are Micca MB42X's with the matching center. The rears and subwoofer are from an ancient Aiwa HTIB and they seem to be performing just fine. These are also due for an upgrade but I just haven't picked out what I want just yet. I also have a PS3 and a Chromecast attached to the X1200 but they don't seem to have any problems - but neither has the "tuner switch" functionality of the TivoHD, either.

I've done a little troubleshooting and this is what I've found:
  • The HK AVR-254 never had this issue. It was using the full set of old HTIB speakers. It also SEEMED like it was able to sync up all the outputs a little faster than the X1200 but I haven't measured it or anything.
  • Manually muting the X1200 before switching tuners alleviates the issue. If/when I get a programmable remote this could be a band-aid fix.
  • I tried 3 different HDMI inputs to the X1200 (CBL/SAT, DVD/Blu-ray, and Blu-ray) and they all did the same thing.
  • Switching to/from channels using Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround seems to make it happen more often.
  • Powering off the subwoofer makes it happen less often (or at least less noticably). It definitely still does happen, however.
  • Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume seem to have no effect on this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? All of the stuff I've found on the internet refers to a TivoHD issue from 2011 that was fixed by a Tivo firmware I've had for ages or the Denon Dynamic EQ issue that has been fixed for a while (and yes, I updated my firmware on Sunday). The noise is loud and annoying enough that I'm not willing to just live with it and if I have to return the X1200 I'd like to return it ASAP.
post #4825 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Correct, the forward pair of heights is connected to "Height1".

Yes, the rearward pair of heights is connected to "Height2". However, there are a few caveats you need to be aware of:

1. The 6200 has 9 amps built in, so to go to 11 channels (7.1.4) you need to add at least 2ch of external amplification
2. By default, the "Wide/Height2" speakers posts are assigned to the Front Wide speakers, so you have to change a setting to remap them to the Height2 speakers if you want to use the internal amps for all four heights. Then, as per #1 above, you have to change the "pre-out" setting to let the receiver know that the external amp is being used elsewhere.

Alternately, if you just get a small 2ch external amp for the Top Rears (Height2), you can leave the settings at default and you will feed the external amp from the Height2 pre-outs via RCA cables.

I don't understand the question. But a 7.1 track will play -- at your choice -- either in "native" 7.1 with silent height speakers, or you can apply upmixing to engage the height speakers and mix up to 7.1.4 output.
Thanks for the quick reply , however I am still confused by your comments...
"1. The 6200 has 9 amps built in, so to go to 11 channels (7.1.4) you need to add at least 2ch of external amplification
2. By default, the "Wide/Height2" speakers posts are assigned to the Front Wide speakers, so you have to change a setting to remap them to the Height2 speakers if you want to use the internal amps for all four heights. Then, as per #1 above, you have to change the "pre-out" setting to let the receiver know that the external amp is being used elsewhere. "

If I can re-map the Front Wide to Height2 using the Internal Amps for all four Heights , do I now not have a 7.1.4 system using all the speaker connections on the 6200 ? There are 11 Speaker Pair Posts on the rear of the 6200 . You can see I'm missing something obvious here can't you ? If this is only a 9-ch amp why are there 11 binding post pairs ?

Scott........................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #4826 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks for the response. I have been through the manual setup. Are you saying that the changes in the manual setup feed through to the Audyssey Reference sound parameters, as when I look at what is stored, it doesn't appear to be the case.

Ideal if it is though

Thanks
The settings you are inquiring about are not actually set by Audyssey but rather by the AVR itself. You are not able to tweak the Audyssey EQ in any fashion. However, you can modify the settings in Manual Setup which are made by the AVR. These modifications then become the new "active" settings with those stored in Audyssey Setup never changing as they are the original settings which can be restored to if you so choose.
post #4827 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post
Thanks for the quick reply , however I am still confused by your comments...
"1. The 6200 has 9 amps built in, so to go to 11 channels (7.1.4) you need to add at least 2ch of external amplification
2. By default, the "Wide/Height2" speakers posts are assigned to the Front Wide speakers, so you have to change a setting to remap them to the Height2 speakers if you want to use the internal amps for all four heights. Then, as per #1 above, you have to change the "pre-out" setting to let the receiver know that the external amp is being used elsewhere. "

If I can re-map the Front Wide to Height2 using the Internal Amps for all four Heights , do I now not have a 7.1.4 system using all the speaker connections on the 6200 ? There are 11 Speaker Pair Posts on the rear of the 6200 . You can see I'm missing something obvious here can't you ? If this is only a 9-ch amp why are there 11 binding post pairs ?

Scott........................
For the same reason there are 13 speaker pre-outs ... to save you from having to change speaker wires with different surround configurations (eg. Audyssey DSX only goes to FW and FH).
post #4828 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 05:55 PM

What JD said ^^^^

The bottom line is there are only 9 amps, period. Regardless of how many speakers you can connect. So if you want to run more than 9 speakers, you need more channels of amplification.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4829 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Two thoughts:

1. Already mentioned, but mic-to-mic variability is a real issue. Audyssey specs their mics at +/-2dB but anecdotally there are many reports of wide variations, and also of course there are defective mics where the capsule has degraded to to heat and/or humidity that could affect part of the freq range. A mic that caused the calibration to emphasize the highs a bit more may sound "harsher" as the volume goes up, and the mic you got with the 3200 may have reduced highs thus the "warmer" sound and ability to push it a bit louder.

2. The 3200 is fundamentally different from the lower level models in terms of having a larger chassis and different amplifier topology (closer to the 4200 than to the lower level models). Although the 8-ohm on-paper specs don't really show it, if you look at bench tests of prior models the higher level units tend to perform better, especially in 4-ohm tests, indicating a greater capacity for sustaining current with tougher speakers. So, if your speakers are on the moderately difficult side (either medium sensitivity or low impedance) at that ~10dB below reference point you could have been hitting the limits of the 2200 amps gained a few dB of extra clean headroom on the 3200.

Remember distortion makes things sound "louder", so between mic variability and the ability to sustain a little more current without going into clipping, that could explain the difference.
Thanks for that detailed explanation bp......... I figured there was more going on inside just by the extra 4lbs and cabinet size, but I had no idea what it was outside of simply reading the specs.

Much appreciated!
post #4830 of 17765 Old 01-20-2016, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No audio from CD inputs until I turn on my TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtoh View Post
Hi,
who knows why I get no sound from CD in when my TV is off
I hook up my CD with an optical cable
So odd and annoying
I dont want to keep my TV on while listening to CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If the CD is connected to the AVR with an optical cable, the TV should not have to be on, however, if you were previously playing an HDMI source, you may have to power off and power back on the AVR again.
ahtoh I believe I have the same problem as you. I recently purchased a X2200W and have a Squeezebox classic connected to its CD RCA jacks. I don't believe this happens every time, but frequently when I turn my receiver on and start playing my Squeezebox (which as far as my X2200W knows is a CD player) I get no audio from my AVR. However, if I then turn my TV on the audio from my Squeezebox starts coming out of my speakers. At this point I can turn my TV off and leave it off and my Squeezebox audio continues to work fine.

I haven't had time to sit down and try to isolate the exact steps needed to reproduce it, but it seems very strange to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-2310CI , avr-s710w , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page