The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101681Likes

post #5851 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Those of you that have recently downloaded DTS:X.. What is ur prelim report sound wise vs. Atmos??

I'm waiting to buy new AVR this year for one of my set-ups. Leaning towards Denon, with Marantz & Yamaha right behind. I am planning a 5.1.4 system, 2 pairs of ceiling speaker wires have already been run & rear surround is already in place. Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I updated my x6200 last night. I haven't done a ton of listening yet but I did play The Martian for about an hour or so on DTX Neutral. Overall impression is very positive. I thought the overhead effects were more aggressive than Dolby Atmos, which I prefer. I thought it also did a great job sending the right effects to the ceiling.

I'd summarize it this way. I thought The Martian on DTX Neutral (up mix) sounded better than Mad Max Dolby Atmos. But your YMMV.
yanks1 likes this.

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4
Denon x6200
Ascend Acoustics Towers and Horizon Center (NrT)
RSL 34CE in-ceilings (4)
Rythmik E15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Does anyone else feel Audyssey crippled their subs like crazy? I have a 6200 currently running 5.2 (5 KEF CI200QL and 2 Outlaw LFM-1 EX adding 4 ceiling speakers soon) in my dedicated theater room. I really like the receiver but Audyssey seems way off in regards to the subs. Anyone else notice and what changes did you make to rectify this? On my other setup (Onkyo 3009 KEF Q Series in 9.2) Audyssey did not gimp my subs here at all and it seemed pretty solid. On the Denon, I ran audyssey it set my speakers to small as it should though I had to change them from 40 and 60 to 80 ( that's normal as well). My subs though ended up being -12db where everything else was living around -1 at almost the same distance. Basically I bumped my sub to -4 and need to spend more time with it. Who else has experienced this and did you do anything different? I hate I set the subs to the correct sound level and then it's essentially worthless\non existent after calibration.

When making manual changes these stay even with Audyssey engaged correct? Thanks all!!
post #5853 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeneize12 View Post
OK, care to explain please

I have set the BD (Sony 6500 to Auto), my Receiver "should detect" automatically and my DB (Ex Machina) is set to DTS X, what am I doing wrong? When I press the "Movie" button, I do not see DTS X, just Neural X
Have you tried other settings other than auto in audio settings on the 6500?
Atmos titles play on auto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5854 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Thanks. Important to note the X1200W is the "X" series upgrade from the S710W, so it would be expected the S910W would have more features. However, according the Owner's manual, PURE DIRECT is available on the X1200W.
I will need to confirm on pure direct , the feature is "X" in comparison chart, i dont use it much so its not a big deal, i usually use stereo for my audio listening as it allows for subwoofer to output it, seems like pure direct mode does not support subwoofer, but i could be worng.
post #5855 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I just picked up a refurb AVR-X4200W from A4L. I've been unable to get ARC working between my Samsung UN50JS7000 tv and the receiver. I confirmed ARC is working from the TV to my older Yamaha RX-A810, but I cannot get it to work to the Denon (actually, both Denons - AVR-X4000 and the new 4200W).

Has anyone else run into this with the Denons? I've been on the phone all morning with Denon, Samsung and A4L. All settings appear to be correct in the receiver and TV (HDMI control ON, ARC on, etc). Using a new HDMI cable that supports everything, and it works fine with the Yamaha. Even tried with a Vizio TV that I just picked up (and will be returning), so I'm at a loss other than to think both Denon AVRs might be faulty in the exact same way.

Thoughts?
post #5856 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
Does anyone else feel Audyssey crippled their subs like crazy? I have a 6200 currently running 5.2 (5 KEF CI200QL and 2 Outlaw LFM-1 EX adding 4 ceiling speakers soon) in my dedicated theater room. I really like the receiver but Audyssey seems way off in regards to the subs. Anyone else notice and what changes did you make to rectify this? On my other setup (Onkyo 3009 KEF Q Series in 9.2) Audyssey did not gimp my subs here at all and it seemed pretty solid. On the Denon, I ran audyssey it set my speakers to small as it should though I had to change them from 40 and 60 to 80 ( that's normal as well). My subs though ended up being -12db where everything else was living around -1 at almost the same distance. Basically I bumped my sub to -4 and need to spend more time with it. Who else has experienced this and did you do anything different? I hate I set the subs to the correct sound level and then it's essentially worthless\non existent after calibration.

When making manual changes these stay even with Audyssey engaged correct? Thanks all!!
Normally after running Audyssey you need to bump up the subs 5-6 dB (or whatever to your liking), that is normal and in the Audyssey FAQ referenced in my signature.

Assuming things sound like you want, you are good!
TheBrandon likes this.
post #5857 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5932
Quote:

You can adjust xovers up (not down) after Aud runs, and you can adjust trim levels if you need to.

Ever since going to XT32, it does an fantastic job with my dual Rythmiks and Klipsch speakers, I just have to boost the subs 5-7db afterward.

If your subs were set at -12, their gain is too high and you need to re run. Get them around -10 (its what i do), so when you boost them they are a) not in positive trim and b) close enough to zero that auto on works.

When I got the new X4200W and ran XT32 (had a 4520ci) my subs resulted in -11 and -10. Once I level matched them with the other speakers they are now at -5 and -4.
TheBrandon likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #5858 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

Audessey should stay engaged unless you disable it manually or erase\run setup.
There was Audessey setup guide which helps a lot , check audessey thread and follow all direction.
What works for me is that every subwoofer has a control volume setting that works in your environment with Audessey.
If you are seeing -12 after setup then may be it may be turned up too high during setup, this is what works for me, i plugged in my sub via LFE input on the sub, phase zero and crossover set to max ( on the subwoofer)
1. Set my Infinity 12 inch subfoofer volume knob, less then half, just below it ( you may need it even lower if its not right)
2. Run Audessey after completion, increase the sub volume knowb a little to your liking
3. Raise subwoofer control higher to your liking after running Audessey in the receiver, that should get you enough output.
4. Adjust your front & back speakers crossover to 80-100 & size to small manually after running audessy.
Subwoofer level may need little twicks depending on which source you are listing to, some may sound good as the soundtrack has good low bass others may not which to me is normal, as long as the bass from known good low bass source is acceptable.
post #5859 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
Have you tried other settings other than auto in audio settings on the 6500?
Atmos titles play on auto?
Yes, Atmos plays on auto with no issues.... I;m waiting for The Witch Hunter and Crimson Peak for further DTS:X testing. Does anyone else have a 6200W and a Sony 6500 BD that can shed some light?

| Sony XBR65AE1 | Denon X6200W | 7.2.4 | Oppo 203 | Nvidia Shield | Harmony Elite |
| Emotiva mini-X a-100 | Ascend CMT-340 | Emotiva ERD-1 | SVS SB2000 + Martin Logan Abyss |
| PS4 Pro | Xbox One X |
|Sony XBR65X950B | Samsung UN49KS8000 |
post #5860 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22012 Post(s)
Liked: 11935
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad3333 View Post
I will need to confirm on pure direct , the feature is "X" in comparison chart, i dont use it much so its not a big deal, i usually use stereo for my audio listening as it allows for subwoofer to output it, seems like pure direct mode does not support subwoofer, but i could be worng.
Neither DIRECT nor PURE DIRECT support the sub unless it is set to "LFE+MAIN."
post #5861 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
1. I'll post the firmware change log in post 6 of this thread when available which will include the other fixes included.
2. The issue is indeed your FIOS box. Work around is to connect FIOS (HDMI) to the TV and FIOS (optical) to the AVR.
Do you have anymore info on why it happens? I never had the issue on my other receivers and even the lower end 2200 Denon?

Thanks on the change log, will look for it when it's posted.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #5862 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
I just picked up a refurb AVR-X4200W from A4L. I've been unable to get ARC working between my Samsung UN50JS7000 tv and the receiver. I confirmed ARC is working from the TV to my older Yamaha RX-A810, but I cannot get it to work to the Denon (actually, both Denons - AVR-X4000 and the new 4200W).

Has anyone else run into this with the Denons? I've been on the phone all morning with Denon, Samsung and A4L. All settings appear to be correct in the receiver and TV (HDMI control ON, ARC on, etc). Using a new HDMI cable that supports everything, and it works fine with the Yamaha. Even tried with a Vizio TV that I just picked up (and will be returning), so I'm at a loss other than to think both Denon AVRs might be faulty in the exact same way.

Thoughts?

HDMI(ARC) doesn't always work as desired with some TVs, requiring the optical audio output connection as a work around (and in many cases able to provide better quality audio).
post #5863 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
Do you have anymore info on why it happens? I never had the issue on my other receivers and even the lower end 2200 Denon?

Thanks on the change log, will look for it when it's posted.
AFAIK, Denon is working with Verizon to try and resolve the issue. Refer to item 19 in my post 4 "Known Issues" of this thread.
post #5864 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
HDMI(ARC) doesn't always work as desired with some TVs, requiring the optical audio output connection as a work around (and in many cases able to provide better quality audio).
Thanks, jdsmoothie. The issue is that the TV works fine with the Yamaha receiver with ARC. But neither of my Denons work with ARC at all. Seems to be a Denon issue in this case, no?
post #5865 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
Thanks, jdsmoothie. The issue is that the TV works fine with the Yamaha receiver with ARC. But neither of my Denons work with ARC at all. Seems to be a Denon issue in this case, no?
Regardless .. if it doesn't work, the work around should work. At the very least, if not already tried, once the settings are correctly made on both the TV and the AVR, power off both devices, unplug the power cords to the TV and the AVR for at least 10 minutes, the plug back in and power on the TV ... pause at least 5-10 seconds, then power on the AVR.
post #5866 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad3333 View Post
I wanted to highlight the fact that there are additional differences in X series i.e comparing 910W vs X1200W that buyers should be aware of.
Besides the difference in amplification 90 vs 80 watts i found the differences in other areas that buyers should be aware of and they are not often easily noticed, atleast in the entry level comparison.

1. 910W has Audessey multiEQ Vs XT for X1200W.
2. No second monitor out for X1200W
3. No Video enhancement modes and features for X1200W
4. Absence of Pure direct mode in X1200W
5.4K Signal Pass-through / Scaling / GUI Overlay , only 4k signal pass=throgh availlable on X1200W vs all of the rest, so no upscaling from non 4k to 4K on X1200W if that is important for you.
6.Gui overlay obsent in X1200W.
7. Additional functionality\buttons on 910W on front panel.
8.High Grade Audio Components---Absent on X1200W
Overall i think 910W is great entry level receiver that has ton of functionality when compared to 1200W ( i know this should be compared to 2200W), except one notable drawback
Audessey multi EQ vs XT, i bought X1200W ( purely for XT ) but wish i had some of the feature of 910W to make life easier, especially second monitor out.
so far i have to say Audessey XT is superior in calibrating the sound but i give up some functionality and choose better sounding receiver.
Ad JD noted, the X1200W is really the X equivalent of the S710W, so most of the differences you note are because you're comparing to a model one step up in the chain.

If you compare the X2200W to the S910W you'll see the differences are much smaller.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5867 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islay View Post
Ok wow so I just turned the subwoofer's phase dial from 0 to 180 and the bass came alive! All of a sudden I can actually hear the subwoofer. Is it normal for the phase to need adjusting after Audyssey sets things up? Am I messing with the calibration by changing the subwoofer phase?
Audyssey time aligns the sub to the first mic position but it doesn't ever measure the interaction of your speakers, so it can't necessarily confirm that the sub is in phase with the fronts around the crossover frequency. By flipping the polarity you are liking turning a null into a peak which can sound quite dramatic, but it's probably no longer accurate. I would suggest you re-run Audyssey now with the sub in the 180 position and see if it sounds better post calibration.
D Bone likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5868 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Following the post above -- XT32 / SubEQ HT doesn't always nail the interaction of the two subs. I use REW to measure my results, and I had a situation once where at the Audyssey measured distances the two subs were fully cancelling, creating a massive null. I flipped the polarity of one sub to 180 and then re-measured and the null turned into a boost, then I re-ran Audyssey and it sounded much better. So it might not just be a level issue.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5869 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Audyssey time aligns the sub to the first mic position but it doesn't ever measure the interaction of your speakers, so it can't necessarily confirm that the sub is in phase with the fronts around the crossover frequency. By flipping the polarity you are liking turning a null into a peak which can sound quite dramatic, but it's probably no longer accurate. I would suggest you re-run Audyssey now with the sub in the 180 position and see if it sounds better post calibration.

I always thought that you should select the phase that results in the loudest test tone at the crossover frequency because that means that the speakers and subwoofer are not cancelling each other out.

My crossover is 80hz and a test tone at the frequency is much louder at the 180 phase. I also tried 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 hz and all those frequencies also measure several db louder with the phase at 180.

Like you said, Audyssey doesn't really test the interaction between my speakers and the subwoofer and instead relies on the distance to time it with the front speakers. So if I use a different phase, how could it ever create a peak?

post #5870 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I recently tried to get ARC working between my 6200 and a 55" Vizio TV (about 5 years old), but none of the TV's five HDMI ports are marked "ARC" (or in any other way unique from the others) and I couldn't find ARC mentioned in the manual, so I assume I can't use ARC with this TV and will need to use the optical connection. I'm now waiting for a Toslink cable to arrive. However, I plan to replace the TV fairly soon with a 4K model that I'm sure will have ARC. I'm currently using the TV to access Netflix and Amazon content. If both options are available, isn't ARC superior to optical (which I think is limited to 5 channel sound)? I don't mind having the extra optical cable if it provides equal or better sound - but I thought I'd read that the opposite is true. I don't know if Netflix and Amazon online movies provide 7 or 9 channel sound - so maybe te 5 channel limitation isn't currently important with these sources. Thanks.
post #5871 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougb59 View Post
I recently tried to get ARC working between my 6200 and a 55" Vizio TV (about 5 years old), but none of the TV's five HDMI ports are marked "ARC" (or in any other way unique from the others) and I couldn't find ARC mentioned in the manual, so I assume I can't use ARC with this TV and will need to use the optical connection. I'm now waiting for a Toslink cable to arrive. However, I plan to replace the TV fairly soon with a 4K model that I'm sure will have ARC. I'm currently using the TV to access Netflix and Amazon content. If both options are available, isn't ARC superior to optical (which I think is limited to 5 channel sound)? I don't mind having the extra optical cable if it provides equal or better sound - but I thought I'd read that the opposite is true. I don't know if Netflix and Amazon online movies provide 7 or 9 channel sound - so maybe te 5 channel limitation isn't currently important with these sources. Thanks.

1. HDMI (ARC) was only first introduced about 2010, so if the TV doesn't have an input labeled "ARC", it most likely doesn't have this feature.
2. In many cases no, as HDMI(ARC) is often only capable of PCM 2.0 stereo (check your new TV's Owner's manual to confirm the ARC output capability) while the optical can pass PCM 2.0 and DD 5.1.
post #5872 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by islay View Post
I always thought that you should select the phase that results in the loudest test tone at the crossover frequency because that means that the speakers and subwoofer are not cancelling each other out.

My crossover is 80hz and a test tone at the frequency is much louder at the 180 phase. I also tried 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 hz and all those frequencies also measure several db louder with the phase at 180.

Like you said, Audyssey doesn't really test the interaction between my speakers and the subwoofer and instead relies on the distance to time it with the front speakers. So if I use a different phase, how could it ever create a peak?

Alternatively, I increased the distance of the sub in the receiver from 12.7 feet to 18 feet which maximized my SPLs in the crossover region.

Does anyone know if I should rely on the distance vs the subwoofer phase dial?

post #5873 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I have a Denon x2200w and a js9000. I run HDMI from my gtx 970 to the AVR and then to the tv and can select 3840x2160 @ 60hz 4:4:4. The nvidia control panel does tell me I have a repeater connected and warns that hdcp may not be passed by it. Everything works as it should though.
Thanks. This is with the KableDirekt HDMI, right? The others (amazon basics & mediabridge) didn't work.
post #5874 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4519
Quote:
Originally Posted by odesseiron View Post
Thanks. This is with the KableDirekt HDMI, right? The others (amazon basics & mediabridge) didn't work.
I'm using monoprice HDMI cables. They aren't new ones either, I bought them probably 3 years ago but they work for what I have now. If for some reason HDCP 2.2 doesn't work through them with a UHD Blu-Ray player I'll swap them for RedMere cables which are pretty inexpensive.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #5875 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 02:24 PM

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post
I plan to update my x6200 tonight. I'm excited to try out DTS:X.

Question for those of you who completed the update already. I recall DTS touting the ability to adjust the volume of vocals separately from the rest of audio. Is that the case with up-mixed material and native DTS:X tracks (last Witch Hunter)?
So I have been reading as much as I can, and I have not seen anyone figure this out yet (or I missed it). I thought I read it was a future feature, but hopefully someone will come in and clarify.
Yes, DTS X has the flexibility to adjust only the dialogue but only on Blu Ray discs that supports this feature. I have a copy of The Last Witch Hunter but it doesn't have this option. I believe this will be implemented in future UHD BD.
Jahjd2000 likes this.
post #5876 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 02:42 PM

Liked: 47
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
Its not your firmware. It is your source settings.
OK, care to explain please

I have set the BD (Sony 6500 to Auto), my Receiver "should detect" automatically and my DB (Ex Machina) is set to DTS X, what am I doing wrong? When I press the "Movie" button, I do not see DTS X, just Neural X
Make sure that "bitstream" is enable on your BD player. Sometimes the "AUTO" setting is kind of tricky.
Xeneize12 likes this.
post #5877 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondHD View Post
Make sure that "bitstream" is enable on your BD player. Sometimes the "AUTO" setting is kind of tricky.
Thanks for the reply. On my BD player under Digital Audio Ourput I only have two options, Auto and PCM, tried both settings and same result.

| Sony XBR65AE1 | Denon X6200W | 7.2.4 | Oppo 203 | Nvidia Shield | Harmony Elite |
| Emotiva mini-X a-100 | Ascend CMT-340 | Emotiva ERD-1 | SVS SB2000 + Martin Logan Abyss |
| PS4 Pro | Xbox One X |
post #5878 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. On my BD player under Digital Audio Ourput I only have two options, Auto and PCM, tried both settings and same result.
Did you make sure the secondary audio setting is disabled? On a Sony it would be done by setting BD Mix to OFF.

I am using a Sony BDP and I have no issues bitstreaming DTS:X and Atmos.

That said, what exactly is being reported as the input signal when you hit the INFO button on the remote? Ralph Potts found an issue where the DTS:X update certain Sony BDP's stop outputting DTS bitstream. Someone else found that using an EDID spoof (like HDFury) corrected the problem, so it appears to be a weird HDMI handshake issue.

So if when you hit the INFO button it shows the input signal is PCM multich, then your player might be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

For those using the Marantz with a Sony BDP-CX960 or CX-7000 Blu-ray Jukebox:

Since the DTS:X upgrade the DTS-HD Master Audio bistream output on these Sony players is no longer recognized as such by the Marantz and is decoded as PCM. It was brought up in the player's thread and I have confirmed it with my CX960.

More disturbing it the fact that the Sony's DTS-HD MA output which should include the new DTS:X bitstream isn't recognized as such by the Marantz and won't be properly decoded. For those using this player as their primary machine this is significant with the new DTS:X format.

Those with Sony Blu-ray players may want to double check theirs as well. I have confirmed that it isn't an issue with my Oppo and Panasonic Blu-ray players. The Samsung UHD player arrived today. I will install it tomorrow and report back.
Xeneize12 likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5879 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 5419
Quote:

I noticed this when I tried to use the dual sub outs on my X5200W. Before that, I only used sub1 for my two subs with a splitter as sub2 is for Auro 3D TS/VOG.

Each sub is adjusted individually and manually to 75db. When I use both on the same sub out with a splitter, Audyssey lowers the combined output by -6db, which is normal as combined they are above 80db. But if I hook each sub to a separate out, then Audyssey applies -11db.

I didn't really investigate, as I use Auro 3D anyway I went back to sub1 with a splitter, but you might want to try this and see if you get the same results.

My subs are equidistant from the MLP and they are identical, so there is no real downside to using one sub out with the same distance/level with a splitter vs two, as the calibration applied is the same for the two subs anyway.

Would be interested in the explanation if anyone has one.

I haven't tried on my new X7200WA so not sure if I'd get the same results.
TheBrandon likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 02-19-2016 at 03:27 PM.
post #5880 of 17512 Old 02-19-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Did you make sure the secondary audio setting is disabled? On a Sony it would be done by setting BD Mix to OFF.

THat did it, problem solved, thank you! I'm hoping I don't have to set this to on every time I play an Atmos movie now.... thank you batpig!
doctorwizz likes this.

| PS4 Pro | Xbox One X |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page