The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101740Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6931 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,279
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22741 Post(s)
Liked: 12383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam1234 View Post
Sorry for asking again but I'm either brain dead or Denon gremlins are attacking.

Anyone know why when I power off the AVR (x2200W) , my TV shuts off, and then turns back on. Cant figure this out. They are plugged into two different electrical outlets.

THANKS
No worries posting again when there has been no response to your previous post.

Powering on/off is related to the HDMI-CEC/Control setting. Ensure HDMI-CEC is set to OFF on the TV and HDMI Control is set to OFF on the AVR.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6932 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,833
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam1234 View Post
Sorry for asking again but I'm either brain dead or Denon gremlins are attacking.

Anyone know why when I power off the AVR (x2200W) , my TV shuts off, and then turns back on. Cant figure this out. They are plugged into two different electrical outlets.

THANKS
Does it actually power off (check the TV's standby/power light) or is it just turning off audio and video for a couple of seconds?

The latter is by design: when an HDMI device is turned off or on, all of the other HDMI devices have to re-sync. While that's happening, no A/V signals are seen/heard.

If it's actually powering off, that might be the result of having CEC enabled.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #6933 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Newbie
 
Liam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No worries posting again when there has been no response to your previous post.

Powering on/off is related to the HDMI-CEC/Control setting. Ensure HDMI-CEC is set to OFF on the TV and HDMI Control is set to OFF on the AVR.
Thanks for responding so quick!! I have learned a ton from reading your posts.

That solved it!

I now shut the AVR off, the TV screen goes blank for a second or two and comes back on (power never goes out on TV) (I have the HDMI pass through source set to ON on the AVR)

I'm assuming this is normal (ie. the TV going blank for a few second)
Liam1234 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6934 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,279
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22741 Post(s)
Liked: 12383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam1234 View Post
Thanks for responding so quick!! I have learned a ton from reading your posts.

That solved it!

I now shut the AVR off, the TV screen goes blank for a second or two and comes back on (power never goes out on TV) (I have the HDMI pass through source set to ON on the AVR)

I'm assuming this is normal (ie. the TV going blank for a few second)
Yup. HDMI must resync.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6935 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Member
 
darkeclypse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm a little confused.. I'm at the beginning steps of upgrading my 5.1 to 7.1.2 and was doing a dry run with the reciever to see what was possable before hand, as in how many speakers I could use at once.

I selected 9.1 and floor at 5.1 with sb and fw selected and 4 for height speakers.

While using some atmos and dtx-x 7.1 material the sb and fw would not show active but height would. I had to change down to 2 speakers for heights to get the fw channel to light up.

I tried a bunch of blu rays to test it to make sure it wasn't the source and it was the same.

Is this a limitation of the x4200w reciecer? Or just the source?

Do you have to have a x6200w in order to actually run 7.1.4 or more?

I thought the specs say 11 channel processing which is the same for the x6200w.
darkeclypse is offline  
post #6936 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
jrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
I'm a little confused.. I'm at the beginning steps of upgrading my 5.1 to 7.1.2 and was doing a dry run with the reciever to see what was possable before hand, as in how many speakers I could use at once.

I selected 9.1 and floor at 5.1 with sb and fw selected and 4 for height speakers.

While using some atmos and dtx-x 7.1 material the sb and fw would not show active but height would. I had to change down to 2 speakers for heights to get the fw channel to light up.

I tried a bunch of blu rays to test it to make sure it wasn't the source and it was the same.

Is this a limitation of the x4200w reciecer? Or just the source?

Do you have to have a x6200w in order to actually run 7.1.4 or more?

I thought the specs say 11 channel processing which is the same for the x6200w.
The wides won't be active for Atmos if you have 4 height speakers as you are already using all 11 channels: FL, C, FR, SL, SR, RSL, RSR, FHL, FHR, RHL, RHR. By switching to two height speakers or no rear surrounds, you can engage the wides. This is true for the x6200w as well - 13 connections, but only 11 channels active at a time (determined by surround mode).

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
jrogers is offline  
post #6937 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Member
 
darkeclypse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
I'm a little confused.. I'm at the beginning steps of upgrading my 5.1 to 7.1.2 and was doing a dry run with the reciever to see what was possable before hand, as in how many speakers I could use at once.

I selected 9.1 and floor at 5.1 with sb and fw selected and 4 for height speakers.

While using some atmos and dtx-x 7.1 material the sb and fw would not show active but height would. I had to change down to 2 speakers for heights to get the fw channel to light up.

I tried a bunch of blu rays to test it to make sure it wasn't the source and it was the same.

Is this a limitation of the x4200w reciecer? Or just the source?

Do you have to have a x6200w in order to actually run 7.1.4 or more?

I thought the specs say 11 channel processing which is the same for the x6200w.
The wides won't be active for Atmos if you have 4 height speakers as you are already using all 11 channels: FL, C, FR, SL, SR, RSL, RSR, FHL, FHR, RHL, RHR. By switching to two height speakers or no rear surrounds, you can engage the wides. This is true for the x6200w as well - 13 connections, but only 11 channels active at a time (determined by surround mode).
Ok but I also tested 5.1 w fw and 4 height channels and the wides would not work. That's only 11 channels. I had to change the heights to 2 and then the wides would work and the height channel.

I tried 7.1.4 to see if I could go with the original plan of 4 height speakers and the wides would also work.

So it seems I'm being limited to 7.1.2 = 9 channels active.
darkeclypse is offline  
post #6938 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,601
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4891 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
Is this a limitation of the x4200w reciecer? Or just the source?

Do you have to have a x6200w in order to actually run 7.1.4 or more?

I thought the specs say 11 channel processing which is the same for the x6200w.
No. Read the specs again and also review the beginning of this thread. The X4200W is a 9ch processing model, max. The 6200/7200 can do 11ch.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #6939 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Member
 
darkeclypse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
Is this a limitation of the x4200w reciecer? Or just the source?

Do you have to have a x6200w in order to actually run 7.1.4 or more?

I thought the specs say 11 channel processing which is the same for the x6200w.
No. Read the specs again and also review the beginning of this thread. The X4200W is a 9ch processing model, max. The 6200/7200 can do 11ch.
Ok I guess I'm getting it all mixed up. I thought the x4200 was a 9amp 11 channel reciever.. meaning it will process 11 channels if you use an extra sep 2 channel amp to power them.
darkeclypse is offline  
post #6940 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,833
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
Ok I guess I'm getting it all mixed up. I thought the x4200 was a 9amp 11 channel reciever.. meaning it will process 11 channels if you use an extra sep 2 channel amp to power them.
Nope, sorry. The AVR X4200W is a 7 amp/9 channel device.

See page 231 of its owner's manual, where it says
Quote:
9.1ch :

* Setting to use the 7-channel power
amplifier within this unit and an
external power amplifier connected to
PRE OUT connector to play back up to
9.1-channels.
* You can connect speakers for up to
13.1-channels for MAIN ZONE.
Speakers to output audio are
automatically switched for playing back
up to 9.1-channels in accordance with
the input signal and sound mode.
The owner's manual can be downloaded from http://manuals.denon.com/avrx4200w/na/en/

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #6941 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Member
 
darkeclypse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 56
After reading threw the manual for the x6200w I see you can't choose more then 2 height speakers if using front wide speakers as well (page 62). So no point with me spending 900 more for the 6200 if I can't still get 7.1.4 using front wides.
darkeclypse is offline  
post #6942 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,279
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22741 Post(s)
Liked: 12383
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
Ok I guess I'm getting it all mixed up. I thought the x4200 was a 9amp 11 channel reciever.. meaning it will process 11 channels if you use an extra sep 2 channel amp to power them.
From post 1 of this thread ....

- X4200W - MSRP $1499 , 7.2CH (expandable to 9.2 with external 2CH amp, ie. 5.2.2 --> 5.2.4 / 7.2.2), 125W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs)

- X6200W - MSRP $2199 , 9.2CH (expandable to 11.2 with external 2CH amp, ie. 5.2.4 / 7.2.2 --> 7.2.4), 140W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs)
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6943 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,279
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22741 Post(s)
Liked: 12383
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
After reading threw the manual for the x6200w I see you can't choose more then 2 height speakers if using front wide speakers as well (page 62). So no point with me spending 900 more for the 6200 if I can't still get 7.1.4 using front wides.
That's only true if you have 5.1 + SB + FW + HT(4). If your 7.1.4 setup consists of 5.1 + FW + HT (4) then all 11 speakers will be active when playing an Atmos or DTS:X audio track or when using DTS Neural:X. However, the FW will not be active when using the Dolby Surround upmixer mode.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6944 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Member
 
Dougb59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
HDMI Maximum Distance with AVR Question

I'm deciding where/how to locate an IP-based security camera DVR that I will connect to my 6200 receiver for viewing my security cameras on my Zones 1 and 2 TVs. I think the DVR outputs 1080p. I've tested with a 25' HDMI cable between the DVR and receiver, and another 25' HDMI going to my Zone 2 TV, and it worked fine. However, I've decided that the best location for my security DVR will require a 50' HDMI cable from the DVR to the receiver. I've read that 50' is about the maximum length for an HDMI cable. Does the 6200 receiver amplify the HDMI input signal in some way, or by having a 50' HDMI on the input side, and a 25' HDMI on the output (Zone 2 monitor) side, am I effectively using a 75' HDMI cable? Do you think this configuration will work? Should I get a Redmere active HDMI cable for the 50' run? Don't plan to require 4K capability from the security DVR, but I do want 4K capability between my receiver and the TV in Zone 2. Thank you in advance for any advice on how best to configure this.
Dougb59 is offline  
post #6945 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,
I'm in the need of some help. I got myself a Denon x2200w and an Onkyo 646 at home at the moment. I'm trying to decide which one to keep. I've run the calibrations on both, as you're meant to, on a 5.1 setup. Now I find the sound to be just about right on the Onkyo, but I'm having problems getting the sound good on the Denon. The main problems I'm having are that the bass seems to be a bit over powering and I've found it's harder to hear the dialog on the Denon. Now I know that with the help of the settings I can probably get the sound to the way I want it on the Denon, but I'm just not sure which of all the settings to change. I could really need some help to point to the best settings in the menu that i can tinker with. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
pauldc is offline  
post #6946 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldc View Post
Hi all,
I'm in the need of some help. I got myself a Denon x2200w and an Onkyo 646 at home at the moment. I'm trying to decide which one to keep. I've run the calibrations on both, as you're meant to, on a 5.1 setup. Now I find the sound to be just about right on the Onkyo, but I'm having problems getting the sound good on the Denon. The main problems I'm having are that the bass seems to be a bit over powering and I've found it's harder to hear the dialog on the Denon. Now I know that with the help of the settings I can probably get the sound to the way I want it on the Denon, but I'm just not sure which of all the settings to change. I could really need some help to point to the best settings in the menu that i can tinker with. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Check in your Denon setup menu under Audio > Audyssey and see if you are running Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume. If they are enabled try disabling them. Dynamic EQ will boost the bass and surround levels a bit in an attempt to compensate for human hearing being less sensitive to certain frequencies. Basically at lower volume levels it will boost the sub and the surrounds a bit to give the audio more dynamics. Some people like it and some people just disable it. It's something to try. Dynamic volume will adjust the volume level and can sometimes cause things to appear quieter than they would be normally. This is on purpose to avoid loud swings in sound level. Some people use this at night, some turn it off.

I turn both of those settings off.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #6947 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldc View Post
Hi all,
I'm in the need of some help. I got myself a Denon x2200w and an Onkyo 646 at home at the moment. I'm trying to decide which one to keep. I've run the calibrations on both, as you're meant to, on a 5.1 setup. Now I find the sound to be just about right on the Onkyo, but I'm having problems getting the sound good on the Denon. The main problems I'm having are that the bass seems to be a bit over powering and I've found it's harder to hear the dialog on the Denon. Now I know that with the help of the settings I can probably get the sound to the way I want it on the Denon, but I'm just not sure which of all the settings to change. I could really need some help to point to the best settings in the menu that i can tinker with. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Check in your Denon setup menu under Audio > Audyssey and see if you are running Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume. If they are enabled try disabling them. Dynamic EQ will boost the bass and surround levels a bit in an attempt to compensate for human hearing being less sensitive to certain frequencies. Basically at lower volume levels it will boost the sub and the surrounds a bit to give the audio more dynamics. Some people like it and some people just disable it. It's something to try. Dynamic volume will adjust the volume level and can sometimes cause things to appear quieter than they would be normally. This is on purpose to avoid loud swings in sound level. Some people use this at night, some turn it off.

I turn both of those settings off.
@pauldc , after doing this, I would add that you can also try the Setting>Audio>Audyssey>Flat setting to "tame the bass" even more (without tweaking any levels first, I still use Reference after doing the following); after setting up Audyssey, I will go in and adjust any crossovers that were set below 80Hz at least up to 80Hz (BUT NEVER DOWN from where they were set) under Settings>Speakers>Manual Setup (this will not negate the filters applied by running Audyssey).

Hope this helps

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hobbs & Shaw and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #6948 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Gurus, a simple question it may be. but I have been trying to find out a solution for it. I got a denon avr s710w receiver and bought it to use with my movies as well as music files. I have netflix which plays in surround speakers but i recently realized that youtube does not provide surround sound encoding to their files and which results in a stereo listening experience from youtube. My question is, is there any setting or configuration change I can do in my receiver to force the stereo sound to all of my surround channels. My main intent is to utilize all the speakers for listening to stereo music. I know there some plugins in windows machines which does that but not sure itf something is readily available in the receiver side. If not, may be someone can suggest a better video songs tube where i can get some surround experience .. thanks guys!
vipinckv is offline  
post #6949 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,189
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldc View Post
Hi all,
I'm in the need of some help. I got myself a Denon x2200w and an Onkyo 646 at home at the moment. I'm trying to decide which one to keep. I've run the calibrations on both, as you're meant to, on a 5.1 setup. Now I find the sound to be just about right on the Onkyo, but I'm having problems getting the sound good on the Denon. The main problems I'm having are that the bass seems to be a bit over powering and I've found it's harder to hear the dialog on the Denon. Now I know that with the help of the settings I can probably get the sound to the way I want it on the Denon, but I'm just not sure which of all the settings to change. I could really need some help to point to the best settings in the menu that i can tinker with. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Check in your Denon setup menu under Audio > Audyssey and see if you are running Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume. If they are enabled try disabling them. Dynamic EQ will boost the bass and surround levels a bit in an attempt to compensate for human hearing being less sensitive to certain frequencies. Basically at lower volume levels it will boost the sub and the surrounds a bit to give the audio more dynamics. Some people like it and some people just disable it. It's something to try. Dynamic volume will adjust the volume level and can sometimes cause things to appear quieter than they would be normally. This is on purpose to avoid loud swings in sound level. Some people use this at night, some turn it off.

I turn both of those settings off.
I have a 6200 with Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos integrated speakers in a 5.1.4 config. I've been experimenting with improving the dialog clarity also. I had all my my crossovers set for 80Hz. I set the CC crossover at 150Hz and boosted the CC +2dB and I think that helped. I also turned off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. I had a hard time understanding the dialog of American Sniper prior to making the changes. The dialog seemed clearer after the changes. I'm open to other suggestions.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
kokishin is online now  
post #6950 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinckv View Post
Hello Gurus, a simple question it may be. but I have been trying to find out a solution for it. I got a denon avr s710w receiver and bought it to use with my movies as well as music files. I have netflix which plays in surround speakers but i recently realized that youtube does not provide surround sound encoding to their files and which results in a stereo listening experience from youtube. My question is, is there any setting or configuration change I can do in my receiver to force the stereo sound to all of my surround channels. My main intent is to utilize all the speakers for listening to stereo music. I know there some plugins in windows machines which does that but not sure itf something is readily available in the receiver side. If not, may be someone can suggest a better video songs tube where i can get some surround experience .. thanks guys!
Most music is not encoded in surround. Generally it's stereo only. Any usage of surround speakers will be virtual surround. Some songs or types of music do not benefit from this. On your remote you can press the music button and cycle through some virtual surround modes and even select a multi-channel stereo mode where you will get stereo information to each speaker. This works even from a 2 channel source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I have a 6200 with Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos integrated speakers in a 5.1.4 config. I've been experimenting with improving the dialog clarity also. I had all my my crossovers set for 80Hz. I set the CC crossover at 150Hz and boosted the CC +2dB and I think that helped. I also turned off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. I had a hard time understanding the dialog of American Sniper prior to making the changes. The dialog seemed clearer after the changes. I'm open to other suggestions.
You're on the right track IMO. The first step will be turning off dynamic volume and dynamic EQ and evaluate the difference. Boosting the center's level can help as well. I personally don't do this but many people seem to like it boosted a bit. Do note that some movie scenes are mixed with muffled dialog on purpose to create an effect. Interstellar is one that comes to mind that was mixed that way.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 03-22-2016 at 03:41 PM.
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #6951 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,189
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Most music is not encoded in surround. Generally it's stereo only. Any usage of surround speakers will be virtual surround. Some songs or types of music do not benefit from this. On your remote you can press the music button and cycle through some virtual surround modes and even select a multi-channel stereo mode where you will get stereo information to each speaker. This works even from a 2 channel source.



You're on the right track IMO. The first step will be turning off dynamic volume and dynamic EQ and evaluate the difference. Boosting the center's level can help as well. I personally don't do this but many people seem to like it boosted a bit. Do note that some movie scenes are mixed with muffled dialog on purpose to create an effect. Interstellar is one that comes to mind that was mixed that way.
Yeh... For the most part I could only understand Charlize Theron in "Mad Max: Fury Road". Maybe it's the movies I'm watching?

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman

Last edited by kokishin; 03-22-2016 at 03:53 PM.
kokishin is online now  
post #6952 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So I just purchased a X4200W upgrading from my old AVR-991

I have a L/C/R front speakers in my TV cabinet along with a subwoofer. Due to the shape of the room I have 4 ceiling speakers.
2 that are overhead of the sectional sofa (which has a wall behind it) and 2 that are slightly ahead of the sofa and on the sides.

So whats the best configuration: TM + SB or TM + TR
I am assuming If I go TM + TR I will need a aux amplifier.

Its a little confusing to understand how the amplifier treats the TM/TR speakers vs SR/SB speakers.
zalusky is online now  
post #6953 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Yeh... For the most part I could only understand Charlize Theron in "Mad Max: Fury Road". Maybe it's the movies I'm watching?
Hrm...I could understand Tom Hardy and the other characters for the most part. There were only a few parts that were a bit harder to understand but nothing was unintelligible.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #6954 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,601
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4891 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
So I just purchased a X4200W upgrading from my old AVR-991

I have a L/C/R front speakers in my TV cabinet along with a subwoofer. Due to the shape of the room I have 4 ceiling speakers.
2 that are overhead of the sectional sofa (which has a wall behind it) and 2 that are slightly ahead of the sofa and on the sides.

So whats the best configuration: TM + SB or TM + TR
I am assuming If I go TM + TR I will need a aux amplifier.

Its a little confusing to understand how the amplifier treats the TM/TR speakers vs SR/SB speakers.
Do you have surrounds at ear level? Or are the four speakers in the ceiling the only other speakers besides the LCR up front?

(or in other words, 9 total or 7?)

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #6955 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
So I just purchased a X4200W upgrading from my old AVR-991

I have a L/C/R front speakers in my TV cabinet along with a subwoofer. Due to the shape of the room I have 4 ceiling speakers.
2 that are overhead of the sectional sofa (which has a wall behind it) and 2 that are slightly ahead of the sofa and on the sides.

So whats the best configuration: TM + SB or TM + TR
I am assuming If I go TM + TR I will need a aux amplifier.

Its a little confusing to understand how the amplifier treats the TM/TR speakers vs SR/SB speakers.
If it were me I would try setting the 2 speakers over the MLP as surround speakers for a 5.1 configuration and use the two speakers that are positioned slightly forward of the MLP as top middle and see what happens. Try playing some Atmos content and see what you think. I'm not exactly sure how the speakers in the ceiling will react to surround information with the other set playing the atmos effects since generally speaking, surround information is supposed to come from the bed layer at or slightly above ear level with Atmos specific audio coming from the upper layer.

If you need information on where to find some Dolby Atmos demos you could PM me because it's outside the scope of the thread topic and I don't want to clutter it with links and such.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #6956 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Do you have surrounds at ear level? Or are the four speakers in the ceiling the only other speakers besides the LCR up front?

(or in other words, 9 total or 7?)
Nothing at ear level except for L/C/R front speakers. Two ceiling speakers directly above the main part of the sofa and two ceiling speakers about 3 feet forward and to the sides of the sofa. These were previously used in a 7.1 config but with the X4200W I am wondering if there is a better way.
We will be remodeling shortly and the sofa will love 3 feet back with the directly overhead speakers causing some more separation from the other two ceiling speakers.
zalusky is online now  
post #6957 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Member
 
diverdra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just hooked up X3200W with Martin Logan AFX ATMOS speakers (confit in signature). Playing "Expendables 3" bluray with ATMOS sound on Oppo 93. Sound drops out for a second about every 10 minutes. When I back up and replay, sound dropout isn't there so I assume it's not the disc. Switched HDMI cable to new cable with bandwidth 18Gbps. Reseated cable. Still persists. I'll try my other ATMOS bluray (Mad Max) but is there a known problem with the 3200? I didn't find anything searching this thread or reading the trouble shooting post. I'm on FW 3400-5140-3455. TIA.

Dan
Samsung UN75HU8550 (TS01 10 bit panel), SEK-3500 OCB (FW 1471), Denon AVR-X3300W w/ Sunfire Theatre Grand Amp (5.1.2); Oppo UDP-203; DTV 4K, Martin Logan Vantage & ML Ctr, Sur, Sub & Motion AFX ATMOS speakers.
diverdra is offline  
post #6958 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,601
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4891 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Nothing at ear level except for L/C/R front speakers. Two ceiling speakers directly above the main part of the sofa and two ceiling speakers about 3 feet forward and to the sides of the sofa. These were previously used in a 7.1 config but with the X4200W I am wondering if there is a better way.
We will be remodeling shortly and the sofa will love 3 feet back with the directly overhead speakers causing some more separation from the other two ceiling speakers.
OK, first thing to understand is you can't run a "3.1.4" setup, you HAVE TO have surround speakers.

I would try a 5.1.2 with the speakers directly overhead set to "Top Middle" and the speakers to the sides set to "Surround".

Or just leave it as 7.1 and be done with it.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #6959 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,601
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4891 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdra View Post
Just hooked up X3200W with Martin Logan AFX ATMOS speakers (confit in signature). Playing "Expendables 3" bluray with ATMOS sound on Oppo 93. Sound drops out for a second about every 10 minutes. When I back up and replay, sound dropout isn't there so I assume it's not the disc. Switched HDMI cable to new cable with bandwidth 18Gbps. Reseated cable. Still persists. I'll try my other ATMOS bluray (Mad Max) but is there a known problem with the 3200? I didn't find anything searching this thread or reading the trouble shooting post. I'm on FW 3400-5140-3455. TIA.
The problem is the Oppo 93 uses a BD decoding chipset which can't handle the seamless branching used in some Dolby TrueHD encodes. It's a known issue with this player and others which use the same chipset.

It's not the receiver.
D Bone and diverdra like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #6960 of 17682 Old 03-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Member
 
diverdra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
The problem is the Oppo 93 uses a BD decoding chipset which can't handle the seamless branching used in some Dolby TrueHD encodes. It's a known issue with this player and others which use the same chipset.

It's not the receiver.
Thank you, BP! You saved me many hours of PD.

Dan
Samsung UN75HU8550 (TS01 10 bit panel), SEK-3500 OCB (FW 1471), Denon AVR-X3300W w/ Sunfire Theatre Grand Amp (5.1.2); Oppo UDP-203; DTV 4K, Martin Logan Vantage & ML Ctr, Sur, Sub & Motion AFX ATMOS speakers.
diverdra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-2310CI , avr-s710w , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off