The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101740Likes

post #7081 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You can use the "Search this thread" feature (upper right corner of this page) to review specific posts by those having network related issues. The modem/routers that tend to work without any issues include the following:

Cisco WRT-100
Cisco E3200
Linksys BEFSX41
Linksys WRT1900AC
Netgear N600 3400v2
Netgear WNDR-3800
Netgear WNDR4500
Netgear CGD24G
Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Router (AC3200)
Airport Extreme
Apple Extreme
D-Link DIR-868L
D-Link DIR-655
Asus RT-N66U
Asus (RT-AC68U) Wireless AC1900 Dual band
Interesting, thanks for sharing the list. Isn't odd that in modern times there would be any hardware issues with ethernet? This is pretty old technology by now. In my profession (IT), and in my consumer life, I don't come across any network ready gear that requires specific branded hardware compatibility despite there being an independent standards board (IEEE) that publishes the requirements. How can this be? Ethernet is a well documented and standard.

Why do the Denon products have such trouble with 20+ yr old technology?
Do the other brands also have these network issues? Yamaha? Pioneer? Sony? I'm going to check those threads too before I decide what to do for myself. Ugggghhh... I hope one of these companies has this done correctly. It should be really, really, really, easy in 2016.
JonnyBCookin likes this.

Last edited by Jujo; 03-26-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
Wow I never would have figured that out, thank you!
I had a problem with my trigger on a different amp the cable solve that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mavinwow likes this.
post #7083 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's like the volume is half muted. I can click up once and it goes back to normal volume plus a step up. Or I can click volume down and it goes back to normal plus a step down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown187 View Post
It's not an HDMI issue. My X4200 is optical from my TV and it does the *exact* same thing. It seems to happen going from 5.1 to 2.0.

For example, just this morning, I was watching Star Trek TNG on Netflix on my JS9500 (set to Dolby Digital output). I watched 4 episodes in a row just fine, then a "documentary" played, the receiver said Dolby Surround and zero sound came out. It wasn't low, it was off. Then I hit the volume button down and sound was there again. It's like switching to Dolby Surround kicked on mute.

Edit: Interesting, if I do the same test on Netflix on my K8500 player (uses HDMI), it transitions from DD+ -> Dolby Surround just fine. So maybe it is either an issue with Netflix or Optical/ARC on the TV.
fwiw, I just tried in on my x6200w and have the same problem but with YouTube. Switching between videos and volume goes very low until I touch the volume up or down on the remote and it returns to normal. In one case, it even did it within a video when the audio track changed. I'm using optical connection from smart tv to AVR. Also of note, I never had this issue with my x4100w.
tbrown187 likes this.

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7084 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujo View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing the list. Isn't odd that in modern times there would be any hardware issues with ethernet? This is pretty old technology by now. In my profession (IT), and in my consumer life, I don't come across any network ready gear that requires specific branded hardware compatibility despite there being an independent standards board (IEEE) that publishes the requirements. How can this be? Ethernet is a well documented and standard.

Do the other brands also have these network issues? Yamaha? Pioneer? Sony? I'm going to check those threads too before I decide what to do for myself. Ugggghhh... I hope one of these companies has this done correctly. It should be really, really, really, easy in 2016.
I had network problems with several Denons (AVR-3310 and X4000) ultimately leading to network function failure in those receivers. Because of this, I went with a Yamaha RX-A3030 which has had zero network problems with the identical network. To be fair, I have had a Denon AVR-5308 for years with no network issues. I tried the Yamaha flagship pre-amp and power amp combo a few months ago (CX-A5100 and MX-A5000); the pre-amp would not play certain format music files that it was supposed to play, and the power amp had a bad hum in multiple left channels, so they were returned. I then took a chance on the Denon AVR-X7200WA. So far, so good with networking and all other functions.
post #7085 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Looking for some advice here. I am heavily dependent on having a networked AVR, USB drive (flac files), and iPhone app control. I currently run a Denon 2312ci. I am absolutely fed up with the 2312 falling off the network and not reading my USB drive. From reading this thread a bit, it seems that Denon still has lots network issues. Is this true?

Are there still as many network and USB problems as there were back in the 2312ci days? Am I better off getting a Yamaha? Are they any more stable for ethernet and USB? I like the Denon platform because I'm accustomed to it, and because there is a 3rd party app developer that does a MUCH better job than Denon. I use the DeRemote app, which has been great.

Thoughts? Thanks for any help folks.
I have both a 3312CI and an X6200w and have had zero problems with networking once I used a static IP instead of DHCP. Both receivers use wired connections and are connected to a Linksys WRT1900AC. I can't speak to USB issues with either receiver as most of my flac files are played directly from my NAS.

Dave
post #7086 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown187 View Post
It's not an HDMI issue. My X4200 is optical from my TV and it does the *exact* same thing. It seems to happen going from 5.1 to 2.0.

For example, just this morning, I was watching Star Trek TNG on Netflix on my JS9500 (set to Dolby Digital output). I watched 4 episodes in a row just fine, then a "documentary" played, the receiver said Dolby Surround and zero sound came out. It wasn't low, it was off. Then I hit the volume button down and sound was there again. It's like switching to Dolby Surround kicked on mute.

Edit: Interesting, if I do the same test on Netflix on my K8500 player (uses HDMI), it transitions from DD+ -> Dolby Surround just fine. So maybe it is either an issue with Netflix or Optical/ARC on the TV.
Hi I am in NZ I have the 4200 and a Samsung 4K SUHD mine does this with the Hulu app in the TV.
post #7087 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I just ordered the Denon AVR-S710W. Would you recommend going with the paid third party DeRemote iOS app right away instead of using the Denon Remote app?

Any other recommended posts in this thread about the S710W other than the first bunch of posts from the OP? I read about a dozen pages of this thread before I gave up. There are hundreds of pages in this thread!

BTW, does anyone else here have problems with Denon's website? I can't see any content on their receiver webpages.

P.S. If you can believe it, the main reason I upgraded my receiver is because I bought a new Apple TV. No optical out on that thing. Time for me to join the modern world with support for audio over HDMI. I'm currently using receivers circa 2006 - almost a decade old.

For my new receiver(s), I figured I may as well get HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2 for future proofing. I was surprised to see that even Denon's entry level AVR-S510 supported that, but it seems the real 'connected' entry level is the S710W, and plus the 2-zone support will come in handy. I was disappointed to note that Marantz's entry level NR1504 does not have HDCP 2.2. This thread tells me that there my S710W is hardware-wise is roughly similar to the NR1506 (despite the latter being 5.2 only) but there is no matching Marantz model to the S510.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 03-26-2016 at 10:55 PM.
post #7088 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 11:00 PM

I was trying to figure out why I was unable to select Neural:X mode in my x6200w on some DTS demo clips I have, and came to realize - by looking at the audio info screen on my AVR - that Neural:X is not available for 96kHz DTS MSTR audio, only 48 kHz sample rate. No big deal I guess since I understand a vast majority of content is mastered at 48kHz, but thought I'd post in case anyone else notices this behavior and wonders why. It does appear that Dolby Surround processing can be applied to a 96kHz TrueHD signal.
Catdaddy327, galonzo and JP32 like this.

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
post #7089 of 17682 Old 03-26-2016, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys I have a 3200 that was working fine but now I have no video coming out from the zone two hdmi output, I have it connected to my projector in the main room. I checked the hdmi cable to projector by hooking it to a tv and it was not receiving any signal . So then I used a smaller hdmi cable from the hdmi output to the tv and still no signal so it's not the cables there is just no signal coming out from the receiver? Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas ? I had power on to zone two and it was set to the correct input ?
post #7090 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22763 Post(s)
Liked: 12417
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamioutlaw04 View Post
Hi guys I have a 3200 that was working fine but now I have no video coming out from the zone two hdmi output, I have it connected to my projector in the main room. I checked the hdmi cable to projector by hooking it to a tv and it was not receiving any signal . So then I used a smaller hdmi cable from the hdmi output to the tv and still no signal so it's not the cables there is just no signal coming out from the receiver? Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas ? I had power on to zone two and it was set to the correct input ?
If you have a TV and PJ in the same room, the X3200W is not the best choice as ideally you want (2) main zone outputs (eg. X2200W or X4200W) for this use case. You would be better served purchasing an HDMI 1:2 splitter to split the main zone signal to each of the PJ and TV and still allow the audio to be played from the main zone speakers. Otherwise, as the PJ does not likely have any speakers, and possibly a different resolution from the TV, you will likely experience issues.
post #7091 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I just ordered the Denon AVR-S710W. Would you recommend going with the paid third party DeRemote iOS app right away instead of using the Denon Remote app?

Any other recommended posts in this thread about the S710W other than the first bunch of posts from the OP? I read about a dozen pages of this thread before I gave up. There are hundreds of pages in this thread!

BTW, does anyone else here have problems with Denon's website? I can't see any content on their receiver webpages.

P.S. If you can believe it, the main reason I upgraded my receiver is because I bought a new Apple TV. No optical out on that thing. Time for me to join the modern world with support for audio over HDMI. I'm currently using receivers circa 2006 - almost a decade old.

For my new receiver(s), I figured I may as well get HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2 for future proofing. I was surprised to see that even Denon's entry level AVR-S510 supported that, but it seems the real 'connected' entry level is the S710W, and plus the 2-zone support will come in handy. I was disappointed to note that Marantz's entry level NR1504 does not have HDCP 2.2. This thread tells me that there my S710W is hardware-wise is roughly similar to the NR1506 (despite the latter being 5.2 only) but there is no matching Marantz model to the S510.

1. A new and much improved Denon 2016 AVR Remote app (see post 1 of this thread for links to the Android and iOS apps) was just released a few weeks ago. Recommend you try it first.
2. No problems at this time using Chrome. They could have been doing maintenance when you looked.
3. Only the D+M 2015 models support HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2. The NR1504 is a 2013 model.
post #7092 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
fwiw, I just tried in on my x6200w and have the same problem but with YouTube. Switching between videos and volume goes very low until I touch the volume up or down on the remote and it returns to normal. In one case, it even did it within a video when the audio track changed. I'm using optical connection from smart tv to AVR. Also of note, I never had this issue with my x4100w.
I just started having this issue. It's like dynamic volume is on and the avr is lowering it on purpose. I haven't thought about it much, as I just talked the volume button to bring it back.
post #7093 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. A new and much improved Denon 2016 AVR Remote app (see post 1 of this thread for links to the Android and iOS apps) was just released a few weeks ago. Recommend you try it first.
Will do.

Quote:
2. No problems at this time using Chrome. They could have been doing maintenance when you looked.
I tried it after I saw your post. Worked fine in Chrome both on my Mac and Windows 7 PC.

However, 30 mins later it stopped working again, on both machines. And then it's working again occasionally. I wonder if it's a server problem on their end, or else a DNS problem, but I don't have a DNS problem with other sites (including Marantz).

Anyhoo, judging by the specs in their comparison page, for my living room the S710W seems fine for me, but for my home theatre, I might want to step up to the S910W, for the upscaling and for the more robust amps. I'm running Paradigm Studio 60 and Studio CC with SVS PB13-Ultra in the front, with some bookshelf Paradigm speakers in the rear.

OTOH, in terms of power I can probably get away with the S710W since I typically don't run my system uber loud, and I've been fine with my ancient Sony STR-DG800, which I'm told isn't that strongly powered (despite their advertised specs).

Quote:
3. Only the D+M 2015 models support HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2. The NR1504 is a 2013 model.
Yeah, but Marantz has kept the NR1504 around as their entry level. It's still listed as a current model. I guess they wanted something to hit that lower price point, but didn't create something like the Denon S510 for whatever reason.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 03-27-2016 at 06:50 AM.
post #7094 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:

I have not tried this third party app, but the official Denon app seems to work really well for me. I use a different zone 2 hdmi output, and it is very handy swapping sources from the App.

Vizio PQ 65
Vizio '14 70 P Series, Calibration settings
Samsung 55ES8000
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup. Monolith 12 Sub
post #7095 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
I have not tried this third party app, but the official Denon app seems to work really well for me. I use a different zone 2 hdmi output, and it is very handy swapping sources from the App.
OK, that's encouraging. However, the overall Denon iOS app doesn't get great reviews, but there aren't enough reviews of the latest update.

The third party one gets much better reviews though. Maybe I'll take one for the team and spend the CAD$7 for testing.

P.S. Anyone running multiple Denons? Any gotchas with network control or AirPlay?
diverdra likes this.
post #7096 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
OK, that's encouraging. However, the overall Denon iOS app doesn't get great reviews, but there aren't enough reviews of the latest update.

The third party one gets much better reviews though. Maybe I'll take one for the team and spend the CAD$7 for testing.

P.S. Anyone running multiple Denons? Any gotchas with network control or AirPlay?

I have the deremote as well but found it too confusing to use. Ive had no issues with the denon app except for when it stopped working at one point. Using static ip address easily fixed the issue.

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY:
BP7006 FRONTS,CLR2006 CENTER, BP1.2X SURROUNDS,A60 ATMOS ENABLED SPEAKERS

SAMSUNG UN65JS9500
AVR-X3200W
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
post #7097 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Apps should identify the receivers by either IP Address or MAC. We have three receivers on one network with no problems.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #7098 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use and enjoy the DeRemote app. I found it to be superior to the Denon provided app. I made the switch more than a year ago, so I can't tell you why I like DeRemote better, but it was the clear winner for me. I never went back.
diverdra likes this.
post #7099 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 921
I have a Sony Tv and enabled Bravia Sync as well as external audio instead of tv speakers. In the Denon all HDMI options are enabled (Control, power etc).

I have 2 issues -

1. receiver will not switch inputs automatically. With my old Yamaha, with everything off, I could hit a button to turn on a source connected via HDMI (e.g. Fire stick, Chromecast or BR player), it would then turn on the tv and switch AVR to that input. With the Denon the tv and AVR turn on but I have to change input manually

2. HDMI CEC doesn't seem to work. Previously I could use the any remote to navigate anything (on a CEC device), now only the tv remote can be used for Denon menus (Smart Menu) but nothing else.
post #7100 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
I just started having this issue. It's like dynamic volume is on and the avr is lowering it on purpose. I haven't thought about it much, as I just talked the volume button to bring it back.
In my case at least it is much more severe than the changes dynamic volume would make, going from almost imperceptible to quite loud.

post #7101 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I have a Sony Tv and enabled Bravia Sync as well as external audio instead of tv speakers. In the Denon all HDMI options are enabled (Control, power etc).

I have 2 issues -

1. receiver will not switch inputs automatically. With my old Yamaha, with everything off, I could hit a button to turn on a source connected via HDMI (e.g. Fire stick, Chromecast or BR player), it would then turn on the tv and switch AVR to that input. With the Denon the tv and AVR turn on but I have to change input manually

2. HDMI CEC doesn't seem to work. Previously I could use the any remote to navigate anything (on a CEC device), now only the tv remote can be used for Denon menus (Smart Menu) but nothing else.
1. Press the source device name on the remote rather than the ON button.
2. AFAIK, this is normal.
post #7102 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. Press the source device name on the remote rather than the ON button.
2. AFAIK, this is normal.
for 1 - I don't turn on the AVR, I turn on the source - e.g. my BR player or Fire stick, both plugged into AVR. That turns on the TV, which turns on the AVR. But it always goes to the last selected input rather than the input which just caused it to turn on.
post #7103 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This may be the problem. This is from the Tv Bravia Sync device list -

The Denon doesn't show up as 'Connected'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bravia cec.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	1342386  
post #7104 of 17682 Old 03-27-2016, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
To add to this I use AirPlay from an iPhone and it does end up hanging up communication wise with my x2200w. When I use my PC and use an HDMI connection, no problems. I have an asus ac3200 router with cat 6 wiring throughout the house and a TP-LINK TL-SG1016D gigabit switch in between. Seems to be an issue with the phone connectivity to the AVR somehow because it won't do it if I wire directly to the AVR and use my phone to send the music over the headphone port. Often I will be in another room working and run zone 2 and use my phone wirelessly and have some drop outs and laggy connections. I have never used any of the built in AVR apps for music streaming.
So this seems to be a wifi issue then. Dropouts happen with me using either my android phone or iPad. The iPad can connect via AirPlay, but that doesn't seem to make much difference. As to how to resolve it? I don't know. Try and increase the remote wifi signal on the platform you are using to control things (phone or iPad)? Do something better with router settings? It is frustrating. I have strong wifi in the house, so am lost on what next to do.

Visio M60-c3
Denon x2200
Motorola dx3400
post #7105 of 17682 Old 03-28-2016, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
If you have a TV and PJ in the same room, the X3200W is not the best choice as ideally you want (2) main zone outputs (eg. X2200W or X4200W) for this use case. You would be better served purchasing an HDMI 1:2 splitter to split the main zone signal to each of the PJ and TV and still allow the audio to be played from the main zone speakers. Otherwise, as the PJ does not likely have any speakers, and possibly a different resolution from the TV, you will likely experience issues.
Thanks for the info. Well since iam gonna take this one back which one would you recommend? Power is not much of an issue cuz I plan on using an external amp for the front 3. I mainly wanted to try out atmos with least speakers possible hence why I went with the 3200 which is 7 channel but I can't say I heard much a difference. I had the two additional speakers as front height. Maybe I should have put them top middle for better effects ? Anyways so maybe I go for a 9 channel or 11 channel capable receiver.
post #7106 of 17682 Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamioutlaw04 View Post
Thanks for the info. Well since iam gonna take this one back which one would you recommend? Power is not much of an issue cuz I plan on using an external amp for the front 3. I mainly wanted to try out atmos with least speakers possible hence why I went with the 3200 which is 7 channel but I can't say I heard much a difference. I had the two additional speakers as front height. Maybe I should have put them top middle for better effects ? Anyways so maybe I go for a 9 channel or 11 channel capable receiver.
The X3200W is the lowest Denon model with main zone pre-outs, so if you don't want to use an HDMI splitter with it, the next model up, the Denon X4200W would be your next option in the Denon line. However, you could drop down to the Marantz SR5010 (sister model to the X2200W) which in addition to the 2nd main zone monitor output, also features a full set of 7.2 main zone pre-outs as well. Call for pricing on both models, the SR5010 and X4200W if interested.
post #7107 of 17682 Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
I have the same issue and the only way I could or can stop it was to set the sound mode to dolby digital only and not DD + Dolby Surround. When set to DD + DS and the audio goes from 5.1 to 2.0 the sound will drop to almost mute. Only happens on commercials for me and have not seen it on other content.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #7108 of 17682 Old 03-28-2016, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to S710W

Hi guys thanks for gathering so much good info.

New to the Denon and really to AVRs in general.

Having problems with my wifi in the house and streaming music through Pandora. Every few songs the reciver goes quiet for about 3-5 minutes, basically having a hard time keeping wifi connection. The wifi works fine in the house otherwise, streams to a smart TV plays pandora fine and also the Fire TV located right next to the AVR also streams very well.

Had lots of problems with network errors during firmware upgrade for the Denon as well. Ended up having to hardwire it because of an error.

Now it seems everytime it loses network I have to re-input my network password again as well.

Is this a common problem? I want to love this receiver but between that and it randomly switching inputs and not turning on to the input that I click I'm really struggling
post #7109 of 17682 Old 03-28-2016, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Both my 3808 and my 4200 have had no issues when connected with ethernet. I just replaced the 3808 with the 4200, and in both cases the receivers were connected via two switches to my router (a switch in the AV cabinet, and the switch in the wiring closet). I do use static DHCP (assign the addresses on the router) to avoid issues with the IP address changing, since I'm never sure how good the network stack is in a consumer audio device. I rarely use the Denon for audio streaming, as I have enough external devices to do things like Pandora, iTunes, etc., so most of my use is limited to web access and updates, etc. However, the times I have listened to audio streaming on the Denons, I don't recall any network issues when using ethernet.

In fact, in spite of the fact I have an ASUS RT-AC68U 802.11ac router and have really good wifi coverage in my home, I have still always had better streaming success with ethernet on most devices than with wifi (even given that most ethernet PHYs are 100Mb only in AV equipment), so I avoid wifi for AV streaming whenever possible.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
post #7110 of 17682 Old 03-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Does anyone understand the conditions under which the TV will sync with a Denon receiver (in my case, the 4200) when the source is off so that you can see the large "DENON" on the screen? The reason this is important is that I want to be able to adjust the receiver or diagnose if the source is misbehaving. However, from some sources, I just get the "No signal" indicator on the TV when the source is off, while from others, I do get the DENON screen when the source is off.

I checked that Video Conversion is on for every input on which I want to do this, but I can't find other settings that would affect this issue. Any ideas?

One thing that cause me some issues in this area was having the "Deep Color" setting on in the TV. That even caused some sources to not sync at all, while others had no issues. However, even turning this off, I still get cases where the Denon menu doesn't show on the TV if the source is off.

Is this just due to a possible bad HDMI sync state between the receiver and the TV? Could it also have something to do with the passthru settings? I tried turning passthru off, but that didn't seem to fix it either.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-2310CI , avr-s710w , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page